Buying Bluing

Liquid bluing is a laundry product used to improve the appearance of whites. Although less commonly used than bleach for whitening, bluing is generally easy to buy. This is a guide about buying bluing.

August 22, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a laundry whitening product and the name of it is "Miss ___"? I need to know the name and where can I purchase it.

By Linda G from Greensboro, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think the name was, "Miss Bo Peep". They still carry it in drug and grocery stores that cater to an older crowd.

The 2 bottles I have are the Mrs Stewart's brand.

http://www.mrsstewart.com/

I have found Mrs. Stewarts in several stores: Albertsons on west coast and Dillons and Price Cutter, in Missouri. It's in the laundry isle and usually up at the top of the shelf. You can also find it on the web in places like Lehmans.

January 21, 2005 Flag

Years ago we use to buy a product called Bluing. It made white clothes brighter and cleaner looking. Have not been able to find it now and really need it. Seems the bras and other whites turn dingy and nothing we have tried will bring the whites back to life. Any one here know where i can find this product again?

Tonya

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in North Carolina and we do not have those stores here. Never heard of them either.. I will keep looking though. Would just about pay someone to send it to me.

Tonya

Check a search engine for a website for Mrs. Stewarts Bluing. It gives a list of distributors by state for their product. If you cant find one in your state, you can buy it from the company. It's good stuff and I use it alot.

try using oxi clean..should make your whites look like new...great for colors as well.I put a scoop in each load,great for stains,pet odors,general dingyness.Dont try bleach it'll eat the elastic

Hi there.

I use a product called Borax. it is a powder and you just add some to your load of laundry with you detergent and your clothes come out whiter and brighter. I actually spilled grease and bbq sauce from chicken on a new white shirt and it took it out. I bought it at Walmart, but it is also available at grocery stores. Hope this helps.

Valerie

January 25, 2008 Flag

I am looking for a product called 'Bluing' to use in the washing machine to help get whites whiter. I read in 'Dollar Stretcher' that someone recommended this and said it cost $3.00 for 16 oz but the only website I found for it wants you to buy 12 bottles.

Kim from Joppa, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have bought this at our grocery store many times...in the detergent aisle, so you might want to ask them about it, and if they don't carry it, alot of times you can mention it to the manager, they will check into ordering it for you...and stock the shelf to see if it is a seller or not...it isn't expensive and is a great product! good luck....Vicki

Bluing also makes a great hair rinse for white, grey, and ultra light blonde hair. Just add a capfull to a glass of water and pour over freshly washed hair, and don't rinse out. It doesn't make your hair blue, it just makes light colored hair look so much brighter and takes away that "yellow" look.

I use "bluing" all the time.

Mix it with cold water. Fill machine to desired water level. Agaite for a few seconds. Add diluted bluing. Then add clothing and wash as usual. Do not pour it directly on the clothing in the washer.

Also just follow the instructions on the container.

i'm not sure if you've already found this, but I just bought a bottle at our local Bartell's drug store. I believe they even have it at most grocery stores.

November 17, 2014 Flag

Where can I buy laundry bluing?

By Lauren

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I find it in my local grocery store, in the laundry section. If your store doesn't have it, check others. Another use for bluing is to whiten the hair on show cattle, (like the calves kid show for 4H) so you may also find it in places that sell supplies for ranches and farms.

January 13, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know if they still make LaFrance Bluing? I haven't seen it in the stores in a long time and it is the only bluing that ever really worked well for me. I think it was made by Dove. Thank you.

By Connie from Vandalia, OH

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have only ever heard of Mrs. Stewart's Bluing, and I am 69 years old.

If you Google it you will find entries to tell you more about it, and where you can purchase it.

I Googled it and don't see it available anymore, just mainly nostalgia sites about the product.

It wouldn't hurt to try Mrs. Stewart's Bluing and here's a PDF that's only a couple of years old with the manufacturer's 800 number to see where it's for sale now or if you could get it directly. There are other sites that sell it but personally I would try the manufacturer first ;-) http://www.mrss  m/pdf/W2F/NY.pdf

I have been trying to find it also. It is the only product that used to take out stains that no other detergent could!

July 12, 2011 Flag

I need to find a location for Mrs. Stewart's bluing in Waco, Texas.

By Charles

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Here's a website where you can purchase it by computer:

http://www.mrss  re_Code=LFCMOMSB

If you prefer to buy in person from a brick and mortar store, look for the old fashioned grocery in your area, usually a Piggly-Wiggly or IGA. I've also seen it in Shure-Value groceries (AL), but I don't know if you have that chain in TX.

There are usually 'mom and pop' type stores in the South and SouthWest that carry the old-fashioned, tried and true products, too, but I'd try the ones I listed above first. Good hunting, I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for in one of those stores-it's where I always found what I knew worked best while I lived in LA, AL, NW-FL, and NW-GA!

Bluing is available in all of our local Co-op and other chain grocery stores, in the laundry section. If, for some reason, your local stores don't carry it there, you could try a farm supply, as people who show calves in 4H tell me that they use it to whiten the hair on their show calves. I should think you would have lots of calves to show in Texas!

April 11, 2012 Flag

I need to find bluing in Odessa Texas. Wal Mart does not carry it.

By Mollie H

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can buy it online at www.amazon.com

August 18, 2013 Flag

Where can I find liquid bluing in Modesto?

By Susan G

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 22, 2010 Flag

Where can I find bluing for laundry?

By Linda from Charleston, WV

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Laundry bluing is available in the laundry soap section of grocery stores, here in Saskatchewan. It is called Mrs. Stewart's Bluing and comes in a bottle with an old fashioned style label. It is also used by 4H kids to whiten the white hair on their show calves, so perhaps it is also available in farm supply stores. I couldn't vouch for that, as I have always bought mine in the local Co-op. (07/01/2010)

By louel53

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 29, 2010 Flag

Where can I buy laundry bluing in San Francisco? With postage, it ends up costing way too much to buy over the internet. Thank you.

Colleen from San Francisco

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I've used blue food coloring for years. For our area, it is less expensive than the "bluing". (10/01/2008)

By Mommy

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Bluing is also used by 4H kids who show cattle to get the white hair whiter than white. Of course, there isn't much of that going on in SF, but perhaps you might find it in an agricultural products store as well. Small town grocery stores have it here in Canada, in the laundry aisle.

The crystals produced for this project are white, and don't turn blue. The bluing turns brown in the chemical reaction, which is rather interesting. (10/03/2008)

By louel53

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Mrs. Steward's bluing is supposed to be sold in all Kroger store and in all Piggly Wiggly stores in North Carolina. Go to the "Mrs. Steward's Bluing" site and find your state. It will give a list of stores that sell it. (12/31/2008)

By C. Smith

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 1, 2008 Flag

I've been looking for laundry bluing. My son wants to make some crystals for a science project. No grocery stores in my area carry it anymore and most clerks don't know what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?
Karen from Fletcher, NC

Answers:

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

In my local area Walmart carries it and it is with all the Rit clothing dyes, I think Rit actually makes it. Usually all the Rit stuff is in the laundry aisle. (11/20/2005)

By Justanothercowgirl

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Most of our stores carry it, Walmart, Save-A-Lot, Krogers, Shop-N-Save. Even our Ace Hardware & some of the other hardware stores carry it. Good luck. (11/20/2005)

By Lois

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

You could try the website, http://www.mrsstewart.com . You should be able to locate it thru this site. Good Luck! Happy Thanksgiving
Lalady44 (11/20/2005)

By Lalady44

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

They don't know what it is, but they do sell it in the grocery store. It is a small blue bottle, look by all the cleaning products. My daughter use borax for her crystals. (11/22/2005)

By Nancy

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

You could buy your bluing at the store under the name Mrs. Stewart's Laundry bluing (01/22/2007)

By Maria S.

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

My local Shop-Rite sells it in the laundry isle. (03/18/2007)

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I live in NJ and it is available at the local Shop-Rite in the laundry isle. (03/18/2007)

By TerryS

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Everyone the bluing is in safeway! Put this in safeway.Com under search: Mrs. Stewart's (03/27/2007)

By JOSE

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

My child also needs this for a science project to make "Blue Moon Rocks". We have asked several people what it is and also looked at WalMart. We haven't had any luck, either. Now that I am looking on-line, I am finding that it is sold in NY and more northeastern states. We live in SC and are having a hard time finding it. We may end up calling a friend in NY to have it shipped to us. In the meantime, I bought Borax and we will try it to see how it works. I think we may not see as much blue as we would with bluing.

Editor's Note: I find it here in nearly every grocery store. It is usually on the top shelf near the borax and other laundry additives. From looking on line it doesn't seem to be in SC: https://www.mrsstewart.com/pages/wheretofind.htm

But maybe you can find a state near you. Also they have online ordering at the http://www.mrsstewart.com site. (04/15/2007)

By SCbluingsearch

I know where some is!

There is some laundry bluing in Alberson's near Golden Co. If you live there anyway.
(09/26/2007)

By someone

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I need this for growing crystal gardens. Where on earth is it? I looked up on google and the answer was right there...well, to my question. It's the only thing i need. So go to rite aid. (10/08/2007)

By Laura

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

In Florida you can buy it at Sweetbay Supermarkets (formerly Kash N Karry). Let's grow some crystals! (11/02/2007)

By Cellular Residue

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

I have also gone to over 15 stores in the Miami, FL area. The store clerks don't even know what it is. And the funny thing is I used to have a lot of bluing balls that my grand ma brought me me from Panama in Central America, because it is used for ringworm. Think I threw them away, but I found this page because I too need it for my sons experiment. <http://www.kilianhardware.com/mrsstewlaunb.html>
Good luck to all. I asked myself every day why did we pick such a hard experiment. ( only because we cant find one ingredient) :)
(11/07/2007)

By Yanni

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Our local Amish stores carry it. (01/06/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

They have it at wal-mart I think. (01/28/2008)

By Chris

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

Amazon sells Mrs. Stewart's bluing, and Mrs. Stewart's website has instructions for growing the crystals, as well as an explanation of why they grow. (03/30/2008)

By guest

Where Can I Buy Laundry Bluing?

How bluing is used: Back in the day when people wore white cotton shirts,
and stood by an ironing board all day..we used bluing in the rinse cycle of the washer to produce even whiter than white shirts. It works! Can you say "so white it hurts my eyes"? You can buy it for less here:

http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pr... (06/20/2008)

By Debs

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Consumer Advice Product FinderJune 19, 2013
Bluing
Using Bluing
comtemperary wedding ring
Buying a Wedding Ring
Buying an eBook Reader, Someone using an eBook reader.
Buying an eBook Reader
used car dealership
Buying a Used Car
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 17, 2017 at 4:08:46 PM on 10.0.2.150 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.