Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Canning Fresh Salsa

Jars of Freshly Canned Salsa

Store bought salsa is never as good as what you can make at home. By making a large batch and canning your salsa, you can store jars for later or give them as gifts. This is a guide about canning fresh salsa.

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Recipe: Canned Tomato Salsa

Jars of homemade canned tomato salsa.This is a family recipe from my friend Stephanie. The cooked salsa is similar to jarred supermarket salsa, like Pace. She used to make this years ago so we decided to have a Salsa Canning party and make 4 batches, for our families and gifts. I can already tell that we will need to make another batch soon.

We got our tomatoes at the local Farmer's Market (Forty pounds of tomatoes is a lot!). I think the salsa cost us about $2.50 a quart, which is not a lot of savings if you are buying from the supermarket. Tomatoes and canning jars (which are reusable) were the bulk of the cost.

Ingredients

• 10 lb. ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped (approx 12 cups)*
  • 1 1/4 cups green peppers, chopped
  • 3 cups onions, chopped
  • 3 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped or 1 small (4 oz.) can**
  • 2 Tbsp. garlic, minced
  • 3 Tbsp. pickling salt
  • 1 Tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. celery salt
  • 1-2 Tbsp. ground cumin
  • 1 Tbsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
  • 2 large cans tomato paste (12 oz. each)
  • 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, or to taste
*I have found that 10 pounds of tomatoes is about half a paper or reusable grocery sack, or will fill up a plastic grocery bag. Figure 3 large or 6 small tomatoes per pound.

To peel tomatoes, cut an "X" at one end and submerge them into boiling water for about 30 seconds. Then dunk them into a icewater bath and the skin will pull off easily.

**Leave the veins and seeds in fresh jalapenos for spicy salsa. We seeded ours and it is very mild.

Directions

Place all ingredients into large kettle. Simmer until desired thickness is reached, 45 minutes to an hour and a half. Check seasonings at end and adjust to your personal taste. Add the cilantro at this time, so that the fresh flavor will not be cooked away.

Pour into sterile pint or quart canning jars. Leave about 1/4 inch headroom, to avoid problems in storage. Seal immediately with a hot water bath.

This will yield approximately 5 quarts. The salsa should be good for up to a year, if it lasts that long.

Tips

Wear rubber gloves when chopping fresh jalapeno peppers. If you have sensitive skin, you may want to also wear them for the onions and tomatoes.

Have your canning jars sterilized and ready to be filled and sealed. Make sure you have a few more than you need, just in case. I think we got 11 pints per batch.

You can get most of these spices on the Hispanic or Ethnic section of your grocery store. They will come in packages instead of bottles and are usually much cheaper. You can also buy spices in bulk many places.

If you are trying to use your home grown tomatoes but are not getting 10 pounds at a time, peel and chop tomatoes as you harvest them and store them in the freezer until you gather enough. The freezing will soften the tomatoes but the cooking will do that anyhow so the resulting salsa should be about the same.

Be sure to label your salsa with the date and version, especially if you can other things, like stewed tomatoes, soups or spaghetti sauce. Store it in sight, so you don't forget about it. Stephanie found several full jars that had been replaced in the canning jar boxes from years ago.

In addition to just opening a jar to eat with chips, you can also use it as a base for chili or thicken it for an enchilada sauce.

Feel free to add, subtract or substitute ingredients. Some ideas are:

• Green tomatoes or tomatillos for tomatoes
  • Habenero or serrano chiles instead of jalapenos
  • Canned tomatoes instead of fresh
  • Add corn or beans to make the salsa more nutritious
  • Fire roast the veggies on the grill for a smokey flavor
  • Use apple cider vinegar or lime juice instead of white vinegar

Once you have perfected your own recipe, it is just as easy to make a double batch. We had a festive Mexican dinner after all the cooking, with chips and salsa, of course! It would be a fun yearly event. We served grilled shrimp tacos and crockpot salsa chicken. We just put the chicken in the crockpot with some taco seasonings and a bit of water to cook. We added about a cup of salsa when we had that ready and it was succulent and tender.

Source: My friend Stephanie and her family cookbook, with some changes

By jess

Recipe: Frugal Winter Canned Salsa

This is a recipe I came up with when wanting to make salsa in the winter and give them as gifts too! Makes about 8 250ml jars! This recipe cost me about $6 which means a gift salsa jar costs me 75 cents if I used recycled jars (which I did!)

For canning, you can use most commercial pasta and salsa jars. As long as the jar has a pop top (when you press in the middle of the lid, it pops), then you can use it for canning. I save all my jars so I can do this.

Ingredients

• 5 cans 28 oz. diced tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup vinegar
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 3 onions
  • 1 tsp chili sauce or hot sauce
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 green peppers - diced small
  • 1 jalepeno pepper (optional)

Directions

Put all the ingredients in a large pot, bring to a boil then heat on med-low for 30 minutes. Place in canning jars and process in hot water bath for 10 minutes.

Source: This is my own recipe.

By Lisa from Halifax, NS

Tip: Salsa Canning Tip

I got this tip from a neighbor. Instead of cooking my homemade salsa for canning on top of the stove, and having the tomatoes cook to a liquid, I put the mixture into my roasting pan and baked it in my oven for 4-5 hours, stirring every hour. I baked it at 350 degrees. The tomatoes stayed a little chunky, the sauce tasted and looked just like store bought, and didn't turn into a mushy mess.

By Marjorie

Share Your Feedback: Once you try any of the above solutions, be sure to come back and give a "thumbs up" to the one that worked the best for you. Do you have a better solution? Click "Share a Solution" above!

Here are questions related to Canning Fresh Salsa.

Question: Canning Salsa Without Cooking It

Can I can salsa without cooking it? Can I boil my jars and have them hot and pour my salsa in them? Will it keep?

By MVincent

Most Recent Answer

By Kim06/18/2011

I've canned salsa before, it's been several years, but I distinctly remember using the canning instructions for canning tomatoes, which is basically what salsa is. I remember having good success, even though it didn't taste 'fresh' anymore. It was a good product. Find your local canning instructions, and follow that. Good luck!

Question: Canning Fresh Salsa

What are the benefits of canning salsa? How long does it generally stay good for?

By Penelope Ann from Petroleum, ID

Most Recent Answer

By kerly8701/21/2010

If canned and stored properly, home canned items will last for years. Home canned salsa doesn't have preservatives that store bought has, and you can season it to taste.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Canning Fresh Salsa

I have a recipe for fresh salsa. Can I seal it up in canning jars without cooking the tomatoes beforehand or does it have to be cooked?

Thanks.
Wendy 23

RE: Canning Fresh Salsa

If you want the jar with fresh salsa with uncooked tomatoes in it, it must be refrigerated and will stay good for a few days.

Sealing the jar will require heating the salsa (I simmer mine in a big pot on the stove for a hour to an hour and a half) and packing the hot salsa into a hot jar and placing a lid on it. This will seal the salsa and you will then be able to place this sealed jar on your pantry shelf.

Raw tomatoes in a salsa, left uncooked and in a jar on the shelf in the pantry will spoil and you will end up throwing it out. (09/01/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Canning Fresh Salsa

I think canning fresh salsa defeats the whole purpose of making fresh salsa. If I want cooked salsa, there are many good ones in the grocery store. Right now is tomato season and I am making fresh salsa by the gallon. We are enjoying all we can eat freshly made.

I take leftovers each time I am ready to make a new batch, spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze. Empty each ice cube try into a sandwich size Ziplock. Expel as much air as possible and seal. Place as many packages as will fit into a gallon size Ziplock labeled "Fresh Salsa" and return to your freezer. You will be able to enjoy fresh salsa all winter. Just remove one small bag, empty into a container, thaw, and enjoy.

Harlean from Arkansas (09/02/2005)

By Harlean from AR

RE: Canning Fresh Salsa

You have to pressure can salsa, you cannot simply put the hot salsa into the can and go. (08/02/2008)

By T

RE: Canning Fresh Salsa

Tomato is acidic so you can use a water bath to can them. They will always taste like fresh salsa. Homemade is always fresher. (06/11/2009)

By Cheecky