Canning Fresh Salsa

I have a recipe for fresh salsa. Can I seal it up in canning jars without cooking the tomatoes beforehand or does it have to be cooked?

Thanks.
Wendy 23

Answers:

Canning Fresh Salsa

If you want the jar with fresh salsa with uncooked tomatoes in it, it must be refrigerated and will stay good for a few days.

Sealing the jar will require heating the salsa (I simmer mine in a big pot on the stove for a hour to an hour and a half) and packing the hot salsa into a hot jar and placing a lid on it. This will seal the salsa and you will then be able to place this sealed jar on your pantry shelf.

Raw tomatoes in a salsa, left uncooked and in a jar on the shelf in the pantry will spoil and you will end up throwing it out. (09/01/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Canning Fresh Salsa

I think canning fresh salsa defeats the whole purpose of making fresh salsa. If I want cooked salsa, there are many good ones in the grocery store. Right now is tomato season and I am making fresh salsa by the gallon. We are enjoying all we can eat freshly made.

I take leftovers each time I am ready to make a new batch, spoon it into ice cube trays and freeze. Empty each ice cube try into a sandwich size Ziplock. Expel as much air as possible and seal. Place as many packages as will fit into a gallon size Ziplock labeled "Fresh Salsa" and return to your freezer. You will be able to enjoy fresh salsa all winter. Just remove one small bag, empty into a container, thaw, and enjoy.

Harlean from Arkansas (09/02/2005)

By Harlean from AR

Canning Fresh Salsa

You have to pressure can salsa, you cannot simply put the hot salsa into the can and go. (08/02/2008)

By T

Canning Fresh Salsa

Tomato is acidic so you can use a water bath to can them. They will always taste like fresh salsa. Homemade is always fresher. (06/11/2009)

By Cheecky