Caring for a Puppy

When there is a new canine member of your family, everyone needs training and patience. This guide is about caring for a puppy.

If you can't get your puppy to drink water, try ice cubes. I found that I can get my puppy to even lick Pedialite in ice cube form. Hope this helps!

By Rachel from TX

My daughter sat up all night with her dog, feeding him droplets of water from an eyedropper. He was so sick, he could barely move. Well, it worked.

How can I raise a German Shepherd puppy? He was taken from his mum. He is six weeks old and he barks a lot.

By profmessi from Sudan, Khartoum

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Best time to take a pup from Mom is 8 weeks. Essentially

he's kind of begging for Mom and siblings, fussing like a baby.

It wouldn't hurt to hold him a lot, scratch his ears, have him sit next to you on couch on old folded blanket that can be

rinsed out if he wizzes. Best to take him out way more frequently than you want, though if you are in Sudan, he's probably out in sun a lot. He might be overheated. Ask yourself the questions you would consider if it were a baby

crying: is he hungry, lonely, needing reassurance, afraid of too many new things?

You might get the pup a stuffy dog to lay beside him in the bed. Pups snuggle against each other and are cozy and feel safe.

Put a collar and leash on the pup and take it for short walks often for daily exercise. A German Shepherd needs a lot of exercise when they are in their youth and early adult years.

Keep in mind hot pavement or sand can burn a little puppy's paws. If you can't walk on the surface barefoot; don't put your pup on it.

Puppies are like babies, they pee, they eat, they sleep and they play and get baths and cry. A baby is comforted and feels safe close to their parents and so does a puppy. Rub its tummy and ears; this is relaxing to pups. The more hands on attention you provide, the more trusting the puppy will be around you and its new surroundings. Read up about this breed of dog and learn what they need to make a happy pet.

http://en.wikip  man_Shepherd_Dog

Poor little baby doggie. He wasn't old enough to be taken away from his mother in the first place, and now with no one to cuddle up to, he is alone, lonely, and no doubt terribly frightened.

He needs you to do a lot of cuddling him, petting him, stroking him, and generally paying the attention to him as his mother would be doing if she were there.

You're in warm enough climate, so he's probably not suffering from cold, but he still needs something soft to cuddle up to. A couple of fairly large stuffed toys and maybe a couple about the size he is would be ideal, but at least, give him a few small stuffed things; even an old pillow is better than nothing.

If you want to housebreak him, start now by taking him outside frequently, and let him exercise as much as possible so that he is tired when you bring him in. He will sleep better and longer.

If you can provide a crate for him that he is able to see you while being safe and secure, that will help a lot too.

Someone else here said that just think of a little human baby's needs, and do your best to treat your fur baby the same way. They need to be safe, clean, fed and happy. For now, that's all there is to it.

Remember, you are raising a "family member", so start out by treating him like a family member from the beginning, and he'll make a good one.

Wishing you the best.

MisMachado

My Pit Bull gave birth to 11 pups 2 days ago and things seemed to be going well until I realized that one of the pups had not been cleaned and the mom wasn't even nursing the pup. The mom was sitting this pup to the side all alone. This pup is also much smaller and seems to be breathing differently than the others. I tried leaving this 1 pup and mom alone, but the mom just stared at the pup. What can I do to keep this pup alive?

By Drall from New Orleans, LA

Best Answer

Who knows why the mother won't help her pup? You must take the pup to your vet now as it is failing fast and needs help. You also need help in learning to feed and help it survive!

I found a puppy, who is maybe 1 week old as he doesn't have any teeth, so I gave him milk. The first 3 days he drank milk alright, but after the 4th day he lost interest in drinking the milk. Someone gave him human cookies and he ate that. Is it the cause he lost his appetite for milk, or is it OK to give him cookies? It is been 7 days he is here with us. Today I saw little blood in his stool, is it serious? What shall I do now?

By Gulru

He lost interest because he probably has parasites. Don't feed a puppy cow's milk or human food. Cow's milk is not the same as dog's milk.

Goat's milk is better for a puppy since it doesn't have as much lactose. I've seen it at Walmart. Or you can get puppy formula at a pet store. Your dog needs it for six more weeks. Then you can switch to puppy chow mixed with warm water to make it mushy.

First, though, take him to the vet for a heartworm test and to get treated for parasites that are making blood in his stool.

Do not feed a puppy that young any solid food. It must have the right kind of nutritional value equal to its mother's milk. You do not give a human infant milk from the jug, but baby formula. So, there's formulas on the market just for animals. I would also visit a popular pet store or a feed and grain business that has well informed staff to assist you in choosing the right type of formula or ask a vet. Also, keep puppy away from a lot of people and other animals if it's not had its parvo shot.

You need to get him wormed by a Vet soon. The parasites will ruin his health. Get some proper puppy food for him and get his vaccinations before too long. A vet will know when he should have them.

I got a new blue nose Pit Bull puppy. We adopted him from a worker that works with my dad. When it's night and everyone is sleeping he starts crying and barking and won't stop. It's been going on for 3 days and I don't know what to do. We leave him downstairs in a cage and it still doesn't stop. Does anyone know what to do or when he will stop crying?

Try putting a ticking clock near him. It works sometimes. Also try a soft stuffed animal he can cuddle up to. Pet stores have cuddly toys that mimic a mother dogs heart beat. Other wise do what the rest of us do, let him get in bead with you.

If you don't quite want him in the bed, put the cage near you by your bed. You can talk softly to him or even sing to him and that will comfort him. He is just lonely. He went from being with a bunch of hyper, noisy, playful siblings and a comforting mom to complete isolation in a deserted cage! You will do fine as a substitute but you will have to step up your involvement! He's like a newborn baby! He needed your attention and reassurance as often as you can give it. Don't mistake me though, you must still be the in charge leader he can depend on...but that can be done while still being gentle and loving! Enjoy your new baby!

We have a mother dog, mutt, who had a litter of 3 pups. She stopped feeding the runt when he was about 4 weeks old. My daughter has been softening dog food in water, feeding the pup, and has warmed regular milk, I think twice. I told her she probably shouldn't give the pup the milk, so she stopped. This morning, the pup was moaning, like it had a stomach ache and has been doing this most of the day, on and off, laying like it is really, really weak. I think it may be dying. Is there anything we can do?

Please take the pup to your vet immediately! He is so young and small and you do not know how to care for him!

If you can't afford veterinary care for your puppy, the best thing to do is surrender it to the Humane Society. They will get it the care it needs. It will be fostered by a volunteer and adopted out when it gets old enough.

If you are not able to afford a vet bill, run, don't walk to your local humane society. The puppy is in pain and suffering. He needs to be treated immediately. While you are there find out if they have affordable options to get mama dog spayed. They usually do. Good luck.

I just bought a 13 week old dog and it's scared and shy. It does take food from my hand and feels somewhat comfortable at that time, but when I move or something or it's around people it gets really scared and runs to hide. It doesn't wanna go walk. What should I do?

Talk to the puppy a lot, in a low and reassuring voice. Stroke slowly and gently, and brush the puppy very carefully, especially around the face. Never strike the puppy - they don't need to be "taught" with spankings.

Make sure the puppy knows you are in charge by keeping a set schedule for feedings, especially at first. Take puppy for short walks for some exercise (you don't want it to become fearful of going outside!).

Relax. Puppy will know if you are nervous or worried about it. With time, patience, consistency and a lot of love, your pup will probably come around and become more confident.

You say you bought the dog. That worries me a little, since you don't give more information.

Did you get the dog from a petshop? Was it from a "backyard" breeder or a licensed, reputable breeder? Did you see the home it was raised in and meet the parents of the dog?

It is possible you have an unsocialized puppy. Put it in a basket with a towel and wherever you go in your home, bring that basket with you.

Keep the puppy warm. Feed it little pieces of food from your hand.

Keep noise and chaos to a minimum. Use a low, calm tone of voice.

The puppy will get used to you eventually.

Can you help give me some info on how to know when a 5 day old puppy is hungry and when it is full? Also how regularly do I need to feed them? Thank you.

By Dexster from Alberton

I think you should buy puppy replacement milk at a pet store or from the vet. If your puppy gets diarrhea add more water to the replacement milk. I would feed him every 5 hours day & night for 3 weeks. At every meal you have to stimulate so he urinates and empties his bowels. Use an old facecloth or kleenex to rub both parts. They say not to use dairy milk. I would use milk but not the 2%, 1% or skilm if you cannot get to the pet store. This is how I saved my kitten about 10 years ago and I still have her. Hope this helps.

Sylvie

Sorry I forgot to tell you how I was feeding my kitten; there was a bottle with the milk replacement kit. At the beginning I was giving 1/2 the bottle. After a couple of days I was giving her a full bottle. At 3 weeks old I started mixing the milk replacement with a teaspoon of can of kitten food. You it would be a can of puppy food. Then you will see he will be able to eat just from the can. At that stage you could feed him 4-5 times a day but not more than one small can a day. No more nightshift.

Sylvie

Please take your new fur baby to the Veterinarian and he.she can instruct you on how to care for your baby.

I have a 5 day old puppy. The mom feeds it, but it's not pooping and I need help on to how to make it poop.

By Madison M from Vidalia, GA

When feeding baby mammals you have to stimulate them to defecate and urinate! I use a washcloth with warm water, then very gently rub the areas. Generally, the baby will "go" when you start massaging these areas. The moms' lick them to stimulate them to evacuate! Good Luck! Aren't you glad I told you about the washcloth? Look at the alternative.

If the pup is with the mother dog (bitch) then you need not worry about the pup seeing evidence of the pup peeing or pooing.

The mom takes care of it by licking the baby and therefor no mess evident in the box.

Now after the pup starts eating solid foods, you will have messes and you must clean up after the puppies. The mom will no longer take care of it. Gross but true.

By Drall from New Orleans, LA

The mom rejected this puppy. She can't afford to provide food to a puppy she doesn't expect to survive. She knows there is something wrong with it and did not bother cleaning it.

You'll have to take the puppy to the vet to get a set-up of puppy formula, tiny bottles, etc. Call first to be sure they have this.

Keep the puppy very warm. The puppy will need twenty-four hour care with feedings every few hours. You'll also have to carefully wipe the bottom to stimulate defecation (see link). If you aren't able to do this the puppy needs to be taken to the Humane Society or SPCA for round-the clock care.

Keep in mind that even if this puppy survives, it may have a congenital defect that will require expensive surgery. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Here is a link for better info: https://www.asp … wborn-puppy-care

I'm getting a puppy soon, a Staffy/Lab/ cross. I have had experience with dogs, my brother and sister both got one, a Lab and a terrier. So, I'm not unaccustomed to training/walking, etc.

However, my parents are split up. My mum takes care of my brother and sister's dogs because my brother is at university and my sister is lazy. She isn't allowed more than two dogs where she lives. I spend half the time at my dad's and half at my mum's. My dad hates dogs, completely and utterly.

I am only allowed to get my puppy (eight weeks, his name is Tino :3) on the condition that I only keep him at dad's house while I'm there, and only if he's not allowed in the house. (My mum is allowed more than two dogs if it's only temporary.)

Now, I may not be a genius entirely about dogs, but I don't think keeping him outside constantly is a good idea. My dad is adamant, though. So I have three questions. First, would a Lab/Staffy get along with two other dogs, and four cats? Would it be okay to leave him outside? And, would it be okay for him to move between two houses? Thanks for your answers.

By Veritism

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I have a eight week old Chihuahua who I named Jax. About two days after I got Jax I noticed that he was acting like he was trying to throw up, but I didn't pay much attention to it because I just thought it was a puppy, you know. But the next day I had put him in the bathroom and when we came back from the store he had diarrhea and vomit everywhere so I took him to the vet that night and they had said he had parvo, but the whole thing is a little sketchy and if you ask me. I took him to another vet who said he may just have a little upset stomach from the stress of being in a different home.

They sent me home with three different kinds of medicine and two different kinds of dog food to try. As of two days ago he had not vomited anymore and as of, probably 24 hours ago has had not had any kind of diarrhea. His fever is down, his stomach is no longer swollen, and he is not dehydrated.

I have been syringe feeding him, but he still will not eat on his own nor drink on his own. He still seems a little weak and has no interest in anything. Since he is not showing any signs of diarrhea, vomiting, or the fever anymore, can you please tell me why he may still be weak?

I have a Chi who I thought had 4 pups when I was in the hospital. My husband was supposed to tend to them. When I got home 3 days later to look at them and clean out her whelping box and discovered a 5th puppy. She is much smaller than the other 4 and her siblings seems to "push" her out of the way when its comes to nursing. Should I bottle feed her but keep her with mama and her siblings? Thanks so kindly for your help. God Bless.

By Andrea from Palm Coast, FL

I have had a few litters of puppies and i think it depends on how the mother treats the puppy. If she doesnt seem to want to feed her then try bottle feeding, it isnt as good as mammas milk but it will help if the other puppies wont let her eat.

I also think it would be okay to keep her with her siblings just make sure you keep an eye on her.. Good luck!

Good luck with this litter, I hope all is well. But please get your momma dog spayed and do not go through this again. There are too many dogs in shelters needing homes and look what a mess you have made of this batch. don't do this again for the sake of the all the dogs, please.

Thank you all for your feedback. I did try the bottle feeding and even the syringe, neither of which worked, so I brought her in immediately to our vet. Sadly, her lungs didn't develop all the way in the womb and we had to put her down. It was heart breaking, even though it had only been a little over a week. You still get attached, especially my 11 yr old son.

Marfette: Yes indeed, I do intend on getting her fixed. There's no excuse or reasons not to at this time. Without going into too much detail, my husband is leaving me after 16 yrs so priorities are switching. I have a lot on my plate, but I DO understand and agree with you. Thanks again to all of you! God Bless!

How do Poodles do after being taken away from their mom at 4 1/2 weeks old? I guess the breeder was sick and can't take care of them. Will the puppies be compromised health wise?

Black puppy.

AnswerPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I received a Pit Bull puppy exactly 5 weeks and 4 days old. She is very healthy. I'd like to now of any signs I should be on the lookout for, to know if there is anything wrong with her. Thanks.