Caring for a Puppy

When there is a new canine member of your family, everyone needs training and patience. This guide is about caring for a puppy.

A jack russell puppy.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I got a new blue nose Pit Bull puppy. We adopted him from a worker that works with my dad. When it's night and everyone is sleeping he starts crying and barking and won't stop. It's been going on for 3 days and I don't know what to do. We leave him downstairs in a cage and it still doesn't stop. Does anyone know what to do or when he will stop crying?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you don't quite want him in the bed, put the cage near you by your bed. You can talk softly to him or even sing to him and that will comfort him. He is just lonely. He went from being with a bunch of hyper, noisy, playful siblings and a comforting mom to complete isolation in a deserted cage! You will do fine as a substitute but you will have to step up your involvement! He's like a newborn baby! He needed your attention and reassurance as often as you can give it. Don't mistake me though, you must still be the in charge leader he can depend on...but that can be done while still being gentle and loving! Enjoy your new baby!

Read More Answers...

My Pit Bull gave birth to 11 pups 2 days ago and things seemed to be going well until I realized that one of the pups had not been cleaned and the mom wasn't even nursing the pup. The mom was sitting this pup to the side all alone. This pup is also much smaller and seems to be breathing differently than the others. I tried leaving this 1 pup and mom alone, but the mom just stared at the pup. What can I do to keep this pup alive?

By Drall from New Orleans, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Who knows why the mother won't help her pup? You must take the pup to your vet now as it is failing fast and needs help. You also need help in learning to feed and help it survive!

I found a puppy, who is maybe 1 week old as he doesn't have any teeth, so I gave him milk. The first 3 days he drank milk alright, but after the 4th day he lost interest in drinking the milk. Someone gave him human cookies and he ate that. Is it the cause he lost his appetite for milk, or is it OK to give him cookies? It is been 7 days he is here with us. Today I saw little blood in his stool, is it serious? What shall I do now?

By Gulru

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please - this puppy needs to be seen by a vet ASAP!

Read More Answers...

We have a mother dog, mutt, who had a litter of 3 pups. She stopped feeding the runt when he was about 4 weeks old. My daughter has been softening dog food in water, feeding the pup, and has warmed regular milk, I think twice. I told her she probably shouldn't give the pup the milk, so she stopped. This morning, the pup was moaning, like it had a stomach ache and has been doing this most of the day, on and off, laying like it is really, really weak. I think it may be dying. Is there anything we can do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you are not able to afford a vet bill, run, don't walk to your local humane society. The puppy is in pain and suffering. He needs to be treated immediately. While you are there find out if they have affordable options to get mama dog spayed. They usually do. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

How can I raise a German Shepherd puppy? He was taken from his mum. He is six weeks old and he barks a lot.

By profmessi from Sudan, Khartoum

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You raise a German Shepherd puppy the same way you would any other breed. Why was he removed from his mother and litter mates at six weeks.? Registered licensed breeders can not by law sell their puppy's before eight weeks. This dear little guy has lost two weeks of this important part of his early life.

Read More Answers...

I just bought a 13 week old dog and it's scared and shy. It does take food from my hand and feels somewhat comfortable at that time, but when I move or something or it's around people it gets really scared and runs to hide. It doesn't wanna go walk. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You say you bought the dog. That worries me a little, since you don't give more information.

Did you get the dog from a petshop? Was it from a "backyard" breeder or a licensed, reputable breeder? Did you see the home it was raised in and meet the parents of the dog?

It is possible you have an unsocialized puppy. Put it in a basket with a towel and wherever you go in your home, bring that basket with you.

Keep the puppy warm. Feed it little pieces of food from your hand.

Keep noise and chaos to a minimum. Use a low, calm tone of voice.

The puppy will get used to you eventually.

Read More Answers...

I have a eight week old Chihuahua who I named Jax. About two days after I got Jax I noticed that he was acting like he was trying to throw up, but I didn't pay much attention to it because I just thought it was a puppy, you know. But the next day I had put him in the bathroom and when we came back from the store he had diarrhea and vomit everywhere so I took him to the vet that night and they had said he had parvo, but the whole thing is a little sketchy and if you ask me. I took him to another vet who said he may just have a little upset stomach from the stress of being in a different home.

They sent me home with three different kinds of medicine and two different kinds of dog food to try. As of two days ago he had not vomited anymore and as of, probably 24 hours ago has had not had any kind of diarrhea. His fever is down, his stomach is no longer swollen, and he is not dehydrated.

I have been syringe feeding him, but he still will not eat on his own nor drink on his own. He still seems a little weak and has no interest in anything. Since he is not showing any signs of diarrhea, vomiting, or the fever anymore, can you please tell me why he may still be weak?

Caring for a Sick Puppy
          AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Min Chi puppy sleeping.I was given a Min Chi pin a few days ago. He is 5 weeks old, and I didn't know he was suppose to be with his mom until 8 weeks. Can someone give me advice on the best way to care and train my dog?

By AnDria R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Be sure and see your Vet soon to see what puppy shots are needed. You need to be on schedule to avoid Parvo and distemper.

Read More Answers...

I have a 5 day old puppy. The mom feeds it, but it's not pooping and I need help on to how to make it poop.

By Madison M from Vidalia, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If the pup is with the mother dog (bitch) then you need not worry about the pup seeing evidence of the pup peeing or pooing.

The mom takes care of it by licking the baby and therefor no mess evident in the box.

Now after the pup starts eating solid foods, you will have messes and you must clean up after the puppies. The mom will no longer take care of it. Gross but true.

Read More Answers...

Can you help give me some info on how to know when a 5 day old puppy is hungry and when it is full? Also how regularly do I need to feed them? Thank you.

By Dexster from Alberton

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please take your new fur baby to the Veterinarian and he.she can instruct you on how to care for your baby.

Read More Answers...

By Drall from New Orleans, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The mom rejected this puppy. She can't afford to provide food to a puppy she doesn't expect to survive. She knows there is something wrong with it and did not bother cleaning it.

You'll have to take the puppy to the vet to get a set-up of puppy formula, tiny bottles, etc. Call first to be sure they have this.

Keep the puppy very warm. The puppy will need twenty-four hour care with feedings every few hours. You'll also have to carefully wipe the bottom to stimulate defecation (see link). If you aren't able to do this the puppy needs to be taken to the Humane Society or SPCA for round-the clock care.

Keep in mind that even if this puppy survives, it may have a congenital defect that will require expensive surgery. I'm sorry you're having this problem.

Here is a link for better info: https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/newborn-puppy-care

I have a Chi who I thought had 4 pups when I was in the hospital. My husband was supposed to tend to them. When I got home 3 days later to look at them and clean out her whelping box and discovered a 5th puppy. She is much smaller than the other 4 and her siblings seems to "push" her out of the way when its comes to nursing. Should I bottle feed her but keep her with mama and her siblings? Thanks so kindly for your help. God Bless.

By Andrea from Palm Coast, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know what to do with my runt right now. He was eating & now he stopped. He is about 2 and 1/2 months old. Anyone on here can help me with feeding ideas. It would be much appreciated. :) Thank you

email: tinker_luv1992 AT yahoo.com. Please email me ideas asap.

Read More Answers...

How do Poodles do after being taken away from their mom at 4 1/2 weeks old? I guess the breeder was sick and can't take care of them. Will the puppies be compromised health wise? We just lost our 19 month old Standard Poodle to a neuter gone wrong and couldn't stand to lose another one young.

Sheri

By Sherri from Loveland, CO

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The reason puppies should stay with their mom longer is to be weaned properly and to learn proper behavior. Puppies learn how to socialize from their mom so a pup who doesn't have that will be dependant on humans to teach them. Make sure you socialize this pup with other dogs as soon as it has had it's shots, begin training early and the pup should balance out. Address bad behaviors immediately, just as the mother would, don't let cuteness get in the way.

As far as nutrition, feed 1/2 tsp whole plain yogurt, 1/2 tsp cottage cheese and one raw egg mixed with canned food. Add canned pumpkin, Libbys has real pumpkin, not pumpkin filling. Start with 1/2 teaspoon, this will keep the digestive tract flowing, add less if you notice diarrhea. Do this until the pup is 4 months old. This can also be continued as it adds nutrition to the food. Feed a puppy 4 times a day until 6 months old, then 3 times a day until 1 year old, then 2 times a day through adulthood to avoid digestive upset.

Read More Answers...

If you can't get your puppy to drink water, try ice cubes. I found that I can get my puppy to even lick Pedialite in ice cube form. Hope this helps!

By Rachel from TX

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have had a five week old Poodle puppy put into my house. I am at a total loss as to how to deal with this. I have never had one that young. Help.

By Joy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a poodle mix that is turning 4yrs old and I've had him since he was five weeks old as well. What I did since he was so young I made sure to still feed him milk. I found in the pet area at Walmart the little milk carton looks like a little juice box very small. I also bought puppy food and made sure to grind it. The first week I gave him more milk and then slowly and the ground food to the milk. He was so small that I had to put my finger sometimes in his little bowl and then touch his mouth with so he would get the idea. Also, I went to the vet and payed for a puppy packaged that included all his shots (cheaper as a package). The milk was like $3.50 per carton so I made sure not to be wasteful. I stayed there and fed him to make sure he was eating. Seriously, I think this doggy of mine thinks I'm his mother lol. Good luck. :)

Black puppy.I received a Pit Bull puppy exactly 5 weeks and 4 days old. She is very healthy, urinates 4-5 times a day, and "poops" 1-2 times a day. The reason I took her so early is because for about 6 days now the mom weened all the pups, because they started eating regular puppy chow and maintained healthy eating, etc.

So I decided no harm done. She is doing fine as far as I know, but I'd like to now of any signs I should be on the lookout for to know if there is anything wrong with her. Thanks.

By Nelson from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would be sure to feed her a high quality puppy food, ask vet for recommendations and if not started vaccinations, especially Parvo are essential.

Pets Dogs AdviceOctober 20, 2013
          House Training a Pit Bull
          House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
          french bulldog puppy
          Treating Fleas on a Puppy
          A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
          Teething Advice for Puppies
          Puppy With Parvo
          Caring for a Puppy With Parvo
          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 18, 2016 at 3:33:06 PM on 10.0.2.98 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.