Caring for a Runt Puppy

I have a Chi who I thought had 4 pups when I was in the hospital. My husband was supposed to tend to them. When I got home 3 days later to look at them and clean out her whelping box and discovered a 5th puppy. She is much smaller than the other 4 and her siblings seems to "push" her out of the way when its comes to nursing. Should I bottle feed her but keep her with mama and her siblings? Thanks so kindly for your help. God Bless.

By Andrea from Palm Coast, FL

Absolutely! Or move mom and the runt to a separate box to allow it to suckle without issue.

I have had a few litters of puppies and i think it depends on how the mother treats the puppy. If she doesnt seem to want to feed her then try bottle feeding, it isnt as good as mammas milk but it will help if the other puppies wont let her eat.
I also think it would be okay to keep her with her siblings just make sure you keep an eye on her.. Good luck!

Good luck with this litter, I hope all is well. But please get your momma dog spayed and do not go through this again. There are too many dogs in shelters needing homes and look what a mess you have made of this batch. don't do this again for the sake of the all the dogs, please.

Thank you all for your feedback. I did try the bottle feeding and even the syringe, neither of which worked, so I brought her in immediately to our vet. Sadly, her lungs didn't develop all the way in the womb and we had to put her down. It was heart breaking, even though it had only been a little over a week. You still get attached, especially my 11 yr old son.

Marfette: Yes indeed, I do intend on getting her fixed. There's no excuse or reasons not to at this time. Without going into too much detail, my husband is leaving me after 16 yrs so priorities are switching. I have a lot on my plate, but I DO understand and agree with you. Thanks again to all of you! God Bless!

I don't know what to do with my runt right now. He was eating & now he stopped. He is about 2 and 1/2 months old. Anyone on here can help me with feeding ideas. It would be much appreciated. :) Thank you
email: tinker_luv1992 AT yahoo.com. Please email me ideas asap.