Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

It can be very frustrating when you do not understand your cat's behavior. This guide is about cat won't poop in the litter box.

Litter Box
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 26, 2016 Flag

I have a 7 week old kitten. The lady I got him from said he was already litter box trained. When I got him home I helped him for several days as to where the box was and for several days now he poops in the box during the day, but at night he poops on my carpet. I clean his box several times during the day and just before I go to bed. Please help me with this.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You might try putting him in a small to medium sized room at night, with a litterbox and a small nightlight. I have found cats are more careful about what they do in a small space.

October 14, 2014 Flag

My 5 month old male kitten won't poop in the litter box. He always used to use the litter box, we never had a problem. Then the past couple days he started using the litter box for pee, but not poop. His box is very clean, so that is not the issue. He normally does it when someone is home. What could I do to get him back in the habit?

By Scarlet B.

The next time he goes outside of the litter box, get his attention and have him watch you pick up the poop and put it in the box. If he goes in the box when you're home, reward him every time with what he likes best. Remember, consistent, positive reinforcement is the key. Hope this helps!

Ok, when was the last time you cleaned that litter box? You must either scoop out the clumps and poo every day. If you are using old fashion clay litter you must clean daily and do a complete dump, wash and refill with fresh clay litter once a week. If you do not clean the box once a day and everyday (clay litter or 'scooping' litter), your pet will refuse to use the box and will opt for other locations.

Cats always smell about while deciding where they will do their business. You probably hate using a chemical toilet, right? Well try having a cats more sensitive nose and having to smell a dirty litter box. Yuck.

November 5, 2009 Flag

We adopted a kitten from the Humane Society and she is 4 1/2 months old. She easily trained to the litter box and used it fine for 2 months. Then 2 weeks ago she started defecating outside of the box (usually right next to or near it), but not in the box.

She urinates in the litter box just fine. Nothing has changed with her box or the litter. She's been to the vet and has no medical issues. Any suggestions? I cannot figure out why the sudden change in behavior and why she only uses the litter box to urinate. Please help, how do I get her to use the litter box for all eliminations?

By lilpaw from San Diego, CA

Each cat is supposed to have two litter boxes. One for pee and one for poop. I never knew that. When my cat only had one box, she used one end for one and the other end for the other type of business. Also, she pees outside her box if it is not clean enough for her tastes.

Be sure your kitten's litter box is her size. She needs to be able to get in and out comfortably rather than like climbing a mountain. And the litter inside should not be so deep as to be over her head. imho. She is only a baby after all.

Best of luck. I care.

I am not sure if this will work, but I knew someone at one time who had to have 2 litter boxes. One for the cat to urinate in and the other to crap in. Hope this works.

I agree. Try adding a 2nd litter box and let us know if that works.

My first thought was add a second litter box, and I see most everyone has already mentioned that. Someone also mentioned not having too much litter in them. Very true! Cats do not like to sink up to their little ankles in the litter! Definitely scoop every day.

Read More Answers...

December 28, 2014 Flag

I have a special needs kitten who we named TommyLynn. She will not use the litter box, even if it's fresh litter. Can someone help me? She will pee and poop on our clothes, paper, and plastic bags. Basically anything sitting in our floor.

By Felicia

Your vet can help you with the kitty's problem. Have her evaluated for any possible medical problems and then the vet can assist with very good suggestions for you to teach kitty good kitty behavior.

April 12, 2005 Flag

I have a 3 year old manx male cat. He is an inside house cat. He has never been outside very much. (He will not go out unless I pick him up and put him out.) The problem is he poops on the floor all the time sometimes as much as 3-4 times daily.

I have done everything. He has had different litter boxes, I even bought an electric Littermaid, changed litter, changed litter box locations. NOTHING HELPS. I have tried punishing him, by speaking to him in a deeper tone of voice (he is a very smart cat and understands when you talk to him.)

I have tried rewards when he has not pooped on the floor. Like treats, brushing etc. He is worse when company comes over, especially my grandchildren (he is very jealous.) I am at my wits end with him. I love my cat, but not his pooping.

Can anyone help with an idea or solution.

Alecia from GA

My manx kitty does the same thing but I think she does it because she is nervous or hates the dog. I tired several different types of litter and boxes. I understand your frustration. She is 13 years old and has only in recent years started this behavior. I got a litterbox attractant from petco and it seemed to help. My cat only likes to do it when people are int the room, very embarasssing.

It is a breed problem. I recommend isolating cat in bathroom when gone but otherwise monitoring them. Manx are such a delight to own but this can be a problem. I lived with hardwood floors so it wasn't so bad but with carpet it is a drag. Also IAM's products are best for the stools. Never give them people food or milk. Don't have Vet talk you into expensive Xrays either. They are smart cats and are not doing this on purpose.

I've only had my kitten a few days and already had to take her to the vet for the SAME thing. My vet told me it was common in Manx cats & there's no cure or surgery for it. The breeders have them euthanized because they have to clean the cats bottom every single day of it's life. I told him I was willing to clean it everyday.

The breeder advertised the kitten as being 8 weeks old and, my vet agrees with me, it is NO WHERE near 8 weeks. I knew something was fishy because she made me meet her son in front of a retail store. How wicked she was to me & cruel to the kitten she was to do that. She may think she pulled a fast one over on somebody but I feel God was looking out for that little kitten by putting me across her path.

Good luck with your cat.

HI, there is a powder used to treat swine for diarrhea and it is and old fashioned remedy, but it works. You can get it from a regular vet or if there is a pet pharmacy like we have here in Florida, they will be able to fix the proper dosage for you. It is used for Manx diarrhea and has been used for many years. We had to buy the smallest clear capsule to put it in, but it cleared up the diarrhea in no time.

Manx have bowl problems and have to be properly taken care of. The cat will not like the taste, I assure you, so wrap it in a piece of cheese or meat. Some kitties have to have this daily for awhile, so be very patient. And find a new vet who has actually dealt with the Manx breed. My last one was 19 years old. They are very special cats and deserve good care. They will return your love and affection.

Read More Answers...

September 8, 2010 Flag

Closeup of grey and black tabby.I have a 6 year old tabby cat that will pee in the litter pan, but poop on the floor near her litter pan (which is in the bathroom). It seems to me she does it when I clean out the litter pan and put fresh litter in it. How can I get her to use the litter pan to poop in it?

By Christy

My friends cat hated the 'feel' of the kitty litter. So they tried cutting up newspaper and putting it in the bottom and that seemed to help. Worth a try!

My cat, also, hates using the litter box. I tried the shredded newspaper idea. He used it alright and every other newspaper in my house! Just make sure you put your 'good' newspaper where the kitty can't find it! :)

September 8, 2010 Flag

I have two beautiful American tiger cats. Daisy uses her litter box all the time, but my male cat Sketch, only pees in the box and uses the side to finish his business. I've tried 2 litter boxes, citrus scents, everything! But he won't use the litter box to poop. Please help.

By rosiet from CT

Answers:

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

We've used citrus scents in our home to repel our cats from areas we don't want them. I don't know if that's why yours doesn't like the litter box or not. Cats are so finicky! I love mine, but they both get finicky about their litter box as well as other things. We have to keep ours quite clean or they retaliate and use the floor. Good luck! (06/03/2009)

By kizzybear121

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

Some cats are very picky. You may actually need to get 3 boxes. Males can be the hardest, especially when they are paired up with a female. Some cats like to pee in one and poo in the other. Some cats will not go in a box that the opposite sex has gone in. In which case your cat may have both issues. Put two boxes next to each other in one spot and one box in another spot. Make sure the litter is always clean and you should place the boxes in a safe place where there isn't any traffic or anything that will scare them.

Good luck! (06/03/2009)

By SusLuvsVintage

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

They sell a litter called P-Pod, which is made from pea-pods and has a natural mint scent which is supposed to draw cats to the litter box because mint is in the catnip family. They also make a catnip spray you can spray on your litter. Also, there are many lavender scented litters on the market, one being "VetBasis" that are supposed to calm and mellow a cat. The 2 litters I mentioned above are natural composting litters (only as mulch for flowers, not for growing veggies). VetBasis is made of corn and as I said P-Pod is made of just that, peas. I use a litter called "Cat Country Elite" that's made from wheatgrass and is the absolute best in neutralizing odor (I live in a very small trailer and no odor from the cat box!) it's because of the chlorophyll in the wheatgrass.

My cat occasionally poops outside of his box too, this is because when he squats, his rear-end hangs over the catbox. It's not on purpose though. Could this be the problem? Or is he actually stepping out of the litter box to poop? I put contact paper over cardboard and placed this under his box for when his butt hangs over and he misses. It helps in clean up. You could also use a folded garbage bag or cut a shower curtain from the dollar store into 4 or 6 pieces for easy disposal.

Another suggestion would be to use several litters at once as a test. A different litter in each of 3 boxes. Use 3 different textures and types and see which one he prefers. For example, the crystal kind, a natural (maybe wheat based) litter and a regular clay based or clumping litter.

I also agree with what SusLuvsVintage said about some males not wanting to share a box with a female. As you most likely already know about the "catbox rule" of having 1 box for each cat then an additional one. This means if someone has 4 cats, they'd need 5 boxes, etc. So you need 3 litterboxes because you have 2 cats. I agree with SusLuvsVintage, she gave you some very good info. I also agree with Kizzybear, citrus is only supposed to be used where you "don't" want a cat to go, like near or on a Christmas tree or on a houseplant or shelves full of knickknacks, etc. Also, I'm sure you know to clean the box daily, or even twice a day if need be.

As a last idea, if your male cat is stressed out, you may want to try a product called "Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy". This is sold in pet stores (for pets) and in health food stores (for humans). Either one will work. It's great for mellowing an animal before going on a trip (plane, train or car) or to the vet. My mom's vet recommended it before her cat got his daily IV and before that when they moved their cats from Seattle to Dallas. There's absolutely no side effects and it really works!

Read more about it here:
    caberfeidh.com
    pets.ca
    preciouspets.org
    bachflower.com

My cat changed his litter box habits after he got into a fight with a much bigger cat. He started peeing on any plastic or paper bag I left on the kitchen floor after shopping. I finally broke down and got a litterbox for my kitchen. I figured having a box in my kitchen was better than him peeing in or on bags on the floor. He used that box for a few months then went back to using his regular box and also goes outside during the daytime. The good thing is that ever since that fight, he sticks very close to home and usually stays on the front porch (watching the birds) where I can keep an eye on him. The strange thing about your cat is that cats may pee in other places, but they almost never poop where they can't bury it (in litter). I sure hope you find something that works to stop this bad habit! (06/03/2009)

By Cyinda

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

Try two litter boxes with two types of litter. Some cats don't like scoopable, some don't like clay, and some don't care. (06/03/2009)

By zoodad

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I have two inside cats one male 9 years old and one female 2 years old. I have four litter trays as the old male cat is extremely fussy and won't use the tray if it has been used. I also change the litter regularly and clean out the pee and poop often throughout the day. (06/06/2009)

By Sharylesley

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I agree with the other posters that sometimes an added box can help; unscented litter is preferred by most kitties; they dislike citrus scents.

I have several female cats and one male. I have noticed or should say I've seen it happen that the male cat has poor aim. He squats to do his thing and typically it is over the edge of the box. But I watch him settle in to the box and move around, it's not intentional.

My solution was to purchase a different type litter box. Over the years the following has worked well with my boy: the round Boda dome box, but I honestly know they don't like the covered boxes, they did use it; I have also tried a covered box with high sides and tossed the top; I recently purchased a high sided box with a low front at Petsmart which is great because my boy is a bit older now so he can get in do his thing and no accidents!

Since it's poop you can also try either laying newspaper around the box so its easy to gather and toss or a cardboard box/old flat pan to catch the accidents. With the high sided boxes, so far he hasn't had another accident.

It takes patience and time. Remember mild soap to clean boxes; replace boxes when they get to scratched up at bottom (once a year) and use unscented litter. Good luck! (06/06/2009)

By dvg

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I use both a pee bucket (old dishpan lined with a section of newspaper) right next to wide layers of fresh newspaper for the poo. It has worked for over 20 years for my cats of all sorts. I change it daily. Good luck and God bless you and the cats He has
    created. : ) (06/06/2009)

By lyndagayle62

Cat Won't Poop in Litter Box

I have 5 cats and two litter boxes in my laundry room. 1 of my cats insists on pooping outside next to the box and I think it has something to do with the lumps that they feel on their paws when they stand on the litter. I noticed as soon as I clean the boxes he doesn't do it, but when they have been pooped in a couple of times he will. I clean them twice a day, but some days I can only get at them once. But I believe that's what it is. Sensitive feet, ain't that a kick in the rubber parts, but I love them all. (01/11/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

November 5, 2009 Flag

Should I take my kitten to the vet? She is pooping on the floor but pees in the litter box just fine.

Pets TrainingOctober 15, 2013
    Homemade Cat Litter Box
    Homemade Cat Litter Box Ideas
    Cat in Litter Box
    Cat Not Using the Litter Box
    Cat exiting a litter box.
    Cat Litter Mat Reviews
    Cat Litter
    Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:25:42 PM on 10.0.0.150 in 923 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.