Cats Urinating on My Lawn

There are about 5 stray cats on my street. The neighbor next door feeds them and then they come to my lawn to pee, poop, and throw up. What homemade remedy can I use?

By Susan

These cats are probably non-neutered males who are peeing and spraying-primarily to establish their dominance. If there is an animal catch and release neuter group in your area, they will catch, neuter and release the cats. If not, you can try sprinklers, moth balls, citrus peel, coffee grounds (all supposed to deter cats). There are many sites online that recommend solutions, but neutering is the best and long term answer.

Skip the mothballs... they are toxic to cats and dogs.

I can sympathize, Susan. One of my neighbours feeds all the darn wild rabbits without considering the nuisance factor for her neighbours who garden. How do you feel about buying a dog? That should do it, don't you think? Perhaps a fence?

Good luck!

Rose Anne

I agree with the poster who said to skip mothballs. They are terribly poisonous to everything, including people, and the stench from them is as bad as or worse than the cat urine. I have purchased a cat repellant from Walmart that worked quite well. It also had a smell, but not obnoxious, and it had to be replaced every time it rained, but it worked. It kept my own cats from pooping on the front lawn. You might also try citrus peels, as those are not too unsightly and won't be a horrible smell. I kept stray cats from spraying the front of my house by splashing lemon scented Mr. Clean over the urine spots. This would work on fence posts, or tree trunks.

maybe in your city, they have caretakers, for feral cats, etc. so my neighbor now is under that program, they feed, somewhat of a shelter, and the city will make they shots and are healthy, one thing, which hope to make part of the program is "the caretakers also provide a place to poop!! start by getting with animal control , see if there is a program.. if they are sick, etc there is help,