Browsing: Making Chili for a Large Group

Chili Recipe for 50

I need a recipe for chili to feed 50. I am going to use this in a soup kitchen so must watch costs.

By volunteer

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

A lot of cookbooks have this in them, especially the ones put out by churches. Whenever I make chili I use a lot more beans than meat. Sometimes for the liquid I use tomato juice instead of other tomato products. Then I use the packets of seasoning and onion, and whatever else.

At one time I saw a chili recipe that was called "Everything But the Kitchen Sink Chili". I have had several people tell me the cheapest liquid to use is tomato juice, but for what I make at home I use whatever I have on hand. If you google the topic you might be able to find what you need too.

Really can't get much more simple than this recipe and should be able to find most of these items for a very low cost at stores like Wal-Mart. Have adjusted amounts to serve 50.

12 lbs ground beef

12 onions, chopped

4 tbsp minced garlic

3/4 cup chili powder

1/4 cup salt

1/4 cup dried oregano

24 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes

6 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce

6 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans with liquid

Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in large stockpot over medium heat, sauté until beef is brown, drain and return to stockpot.

Stir in chili powder, salt, oregano, tomatoes, and tomato sauce, heat to boiling then reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.

Stir in beans and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.

I did a lot of cooking of soups and chili as a volunteer. My favorite source of recipes was the Food.com site. In the place where the recipe indicates the number of servings, it is possible to scale up to the number you are attempting to serve and it will automatically give you the quantities. If you have a Cash and Carry store, it is possible to buy in large quantities at a good price and it's much easier than opening many small cans. Good luck!

Allrecipes.com has great recipes submitted by regular people and you can adjust the number of servings.

Cut this in half.

Chili for 100 People

12 lbs. ground beef

5 1/2 oz. chili powder

3 tbsp. cumin

1 (#10) can ketchup

1 lb. onions, minced

1 tbsp. black pepper

2 (#10) cans tomato juice

4 to 5 (#10) cans beans or chili beans

Brown ground beef in large kettle; add onions. Cook until tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, to blend flavors and bring to a serving temperature. This large amount will take most of the day to cook. I use an electric roaster. We have used this recipe annually for years.

MELLOW CHILI

olive oil

3 medium onions, chopped

2 green peppers, chopped

3 stalks celery, chopped

8 lbs ground beef

1 can tomato paste

2 can stewed tomatoes

2 can tomato sauce

1 can mild salsa

3 cloves garlic, minced

2 3oz jars chili powder

1 jalapeno chili, chopped

2 tsp salt

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp black pepper

2 large cans chili beans in gravy

THIS RECIPE WILL FEED A WHOLE TROOP.

Thinly cover a pot with olive oil. Sauté green peppers, onions, and celery 10 minutes. Add meat and cook until brown. Stir in tomato paste, stewed tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Simmer 15 minutes. Add rest of ingredients and simmer -1 hour. Stir occasionally. Serve

A bowl of chili with corn bread.
Making Chili for a Large Group
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChiliNovember 27, 2012
Chili Soup
Chili Soup Recipes
Kabobs for a Large Group
Calculating Ingredients When Feeding Large Group
pot of chili con carne
Chili Spaghetti Recipes
A large pot of chili, ready for canning.
Canning Chili
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 24, 2016 at 12:03:26 AM on 10.0.0.52 in 376 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.