Choosing a Kitchen Sink Color

Choosing a Kitchen Sink Color
Choosing a sink color if you do not wish to use traditional white, will depend on the colors already chosen for your kitchen. This is a guide about choosing a kitchen sink color.

I am building a new country/cottage style kitchen. The cabinets are an off-white/linen color (more cream than white), the island is a distressed/antiqued black, and the appliances are stainless. I want to go with a white farmhouse sink, but will that work if the cabinets are more creamy than white?

Faloola

I think it will work just fine. White goes with anything and if you ever want to change your colors in your kitchen, anything will go with the white sink.

Where is it written that sinks and cabinets must match? I personally feel a cottage kitchen needs a white sink. You could put a back splash with peach or yellow depemding upon your taste. Cottage/country style lends itself to creative use of color and accessories. The idea being that nothing matches in gramma's cottage because she was years in collecting all this stuff.

People use white enamel/porcelain sinks all the time with cream color tile, paint, cabinets. It's called the bathroom. It seems to work just fine.

I think the white will be just fine but there are stainless steel farmhouse sinks, that may look good too.

I have truly enjoyed my creamy satin-finished formica counter tops with a creamy double, porcelain sink, for over twenty five years, and they are still pristine. I have black and chrome appliances, flat black glass range top, and med. Ash cabinets which are also still good. I need to update but haven't the money to do it, except that I have found curbside a new white double oven, a new vent hood exhaust fan in white, and a white dishwasher, which need installing, now that the appliances are damaged and almost out. If I had it to repeat, I'd still go with the overall clean look of matching sink and counter tops, because it gives the counter tops an uninterrupted span that is attractive. Mine are cluttered now, but when cleared, the fact that it all matches, with the least distracting mismatches, is soothing to my sensibilities and my eye.

May god bless and help you make the right decision. : )

I have white cabinets and stainless steel appliances. I am going to replace my sink and my countertop. I am interested in the granite sinks. Should I go with a light-colored sink such as white or beige or a black or brown one? It will be an undermount.

A stainless steel sink will last for years and will appeal to future buyers.

Black would look great with your stainless

You only mentioned the color of your sink but are you going with contrasting counter-tops are will they be the same as the sink?

If the same I'm not sure about black for everything but a black sink sounds nice. I would go to Lowe's or Home Depot, or(?) and take a look at their counters and sinks as they have excellent displays.

I have black appliances and am replacing my sink in the island which includes a black cook top. What kind of (color) sink and faucet should I choose. I have medium oak cabinets along the walls, with green cabinets in the island. The countertop will be a black/brown/green granite.

By PatLou

I would put in a stainless steel sink. Good luck.

Stainless steel would add some neutral color without being out of place or pricey, but black would keep it classy while camouflaging it from the island top. Good luck.

I agree with Yonder178. The black, especially if you get the stone look style, not black shiny. I would go with a brushed nickel faucet.

The color that screams to me is the beige sinks. You don't want to draw attention to your sink, esp if you are cooking and dishes might be in it. I like kitchen appliances that are just there without screaming look at me. But then, that is the kind of person I am, Background, never foreground.

We just installed hickory cabinets and were wanting to put in a dark brown sink with a bronze faucet. What are your opinions? We will have granite installed with some color of the cabinets. Should I go with the brown sink or think black or stainless? The hardware on the cabinets is a dark bronze. Thanks in advance.

I like the bright look so I'd go with stainless steel.

Dark sinks show dirt. I like stainless better

This sounds like a personal preference question! It sounds like you have a lot of brown and bronze tones. Have you thought of a contrasting lighter color like cream or beige with the bronze faucet? ...Just a thought.. Black & Dark Brown will most definitely show water spots & other such like a lot sooner than a lighter color or stainless steel. I personally would go with the brown sooner than black because of this very thing, but because contrasting shades and colors look better than all med. shades or all dark shades, etc... (and again personal preference) I'd probably go with a lighter sink.

We have beige countertops and we are getting a new sink. What color would look best, light beige or black?

Definitely black. Black would help create a very pleasing contrast. Black is also a nice colour that hides waterspots, dirt, and other unsightly things.

Black is very hard to maintain. Dirt shoes up white and all water spots show. I'd go with beige.

I am trying to decide what color of sink to install. I have all white appliances, hickory cabinets, and quartz countertops (new quay color). I want to install a cast iron sink and I am thinking either white or cashmere. What do you think?

If all your other appliances are white, I would stay with white for a sink color. I don't think cream color goes well with gray.

I think white is always the best choice.

I am installing contemporary dark wood, either chocolate or a dark reddish brown, with white countertops. The appliances are stainless. Would a black self-rimming or undermount double bowl cast iron sink work?

By Maria S. from Washington, DC

Short answer is yes. With the dark wood and the dark sink the 'pop' that all rooms need will come from the counter tops. the longer answer is, exactly what type of wood and what type of white and what type of black are you talking about for each of these items? there are many shades of each and you could run into a problem, say, if the white isn't really white, the wood is a lighter shade and the only dark 'pop' is from the sink.

That is a problem because the sink is such a small piece of the entire room. But, from what you described, I think you should be ok with the black sink. Done right, it can be a real nice touch. Good luck!

I have beige kichen cabinets and stainless steel appliances. What color farm sink should I get?

By Jeanne

My wife wanted to put a farmhouse sink into our kitchen. We have white cabinets and I ordered a so called white farm house sink and it came back a creamy white. Do you all think that it will look good with white cabinets, stainless steel appliances, and and black quartz counter tops even though it is not bright white?

By Tim

I have white appliances and brown/beige counter top. Should I use a white sink or stainless?

By Greengh from St. Louis, MO

Answers:

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I think white. Not only do I think white would be better, but I rent and have a stainless steel sink. I hate it. You have to polish it all the time. I think there are different grades of porcelain. I would get the best or as close to it as you can afford. I have learned, you get what you pay for. (07/21/2009)

By lapdog87

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I have a stainless sink and appliances. Never again.
They are impossible to keep clean and show scratches and every smudge mark. I have had the sink about 3 years and it looks dirty no matter how much I clean it. (07/21/2009)

By foxrun41

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I have a white sink and cannot keep it clean! It seems like everything stains or scratches it. The only thing I found that will clean it without scratching it is a Magic Eraser. (07/21/2009)

By scrappinmom30

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

How about copper? It kind of pricey, but very nice. I think it would look nice with your countertop. (07/21/2009)

By loftworks

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I hate my stainless steel too mainly because we have so much lime in our water where I live. You can not use lime removers on it or you ruin the sink (which I did). It is a cheap stainless to begin with. I am getting a new white one and know I will be happier with it. (07/22/2009)

By Laniegirl

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I must be the only one who loves my stainless steel sink. Whichever you choose, get top or near top of the line. It will make a huge difference. (07/22/2009)

By kghsave

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

I love my stainless steel sink too. I think the problem is that when these sinks are new most people don't realize you aren't supposed to use Brillo on them or other harsh abrasives. Then they have ruined the surface and hate them. You should clean them with Bon Ami or Barkeepers Friend just as you would a porcelain sink. Also there are various "grades" of stainless steel. The better the grade the better the sink! (07/22/2009)

By Beth

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

While it is a matter of opinion, stainless is neutral. I loved mine, and I hate my fiberglass sink. Besides, who knows what you will do in the future. My dad is a builder, and the one thing that he has seen in forty years is trendy colors that date a place terribly. If you can find one of the old concrete laundry sinks, they look amazing. But try and see your house from the perspective of a buyer. Is their stuff going to match? And more importantly, you have to bleach white every time you use it. Getting what you pay for is true. I bought a better stainless sink in my old house, but never had to polish it. I used bleach gel cleaner, and wiped it with a dish towel and glass cleaner between bleaching. (Don't mix the two.) Most old stainless sinks haven't been properly cared for, so they get a bad rap. (07/22/2009)

By damaged05170

Kitchen Sink Color Advice

How about a white cast iron? More of a traditional look, but it is classic and would go with the appliances. Or you could look for a beige one to blend with the counter top. Bring a few sample boards or chips home if you can find them. (07/24/2009)

By Allison5