Cleaning Corduroy

young in green corduroy jacket
The nap on corduroy can make cleaning this fabric a bit tricky. This is a guide about cleaning corduroy.

How do you remove grease from corduroy pants?

By Kandi

I learned a this trick while working at a bearings plant. Put just enough Dawn (reg.) to cover the oil, grease spot, let it set for a few minutes then wash as usual, works everytime!

Fels Naptha comfort bars work great for just about any kind of stain. Even if the stain has already been washed and dried. What's even better is that a bar at Walmart is 97¢!

Fels Naptha laundry bar rather.

I would put straight dawn dishwashing liquid on the grease stain or straight degreaser (although I think dawn works better). If it doesn't come out the first time, which it should, put straight dawn on it and put oxy clean powder on top of the dawn. Work it in and let set for about 30 minutes or so.

Although as I read some more comments. Fels naptha is a must in the laundry room...an absolute must!

I agree with the Dawn dish soap it even get transmission fluid out of clothing.

My son needs to clean the collar of a corduroy sport coat. Any home cleaning ideas?

By Betty from FL

A strong heavy soak of Awesome (Family Dollar or other degreaser) placed over the dampened collar should help lift most of the oily residue depending if it's been laundered previously and dried. Set in stains on clothing are not easy to remove after laundering.

Betty, Please don,t write this idea off before you try it.Use baby wipes. I use them all the time to get stains out. I had foundation on a coat collar, gently rubbed with a couple of wipes. hey presto as good as new. Even cleaned mud off a cream carpet. Hope you give this idea a try. Good luck. Jan UK

I should have stated this is a "dry clean" only sport coat. It is cotton but I have not tried any cleaner yet.

He only wore it one time but the neck does look "dirty" but not enough for a cleaning bill (until he puts it a way for the winter).

Thanks for your suggestion.

Just take a washcloth and rub it gently with the cord grain. Tell him to wash his neck well before wearing it. It is neck dirt/grease that has found a new home. If his hair is touching the collar, that is an issue too.

I had accidentally washed my cream corduroy jacket with a purple t-shirt. After the wash I figured out that my corduroy jacket were stained with purple spots. How do I get rid of them. I tried soaking it in bleach water but that didn't work. Please help.

Margerita from India, New Delhi

Try Rit color remover. It costs around $3 and found it works well.

The makers of Rit dye make a Dye & color remover, I don't think it'll remove the original color from your cream jacket since it's already a light color, just the "fugitive-type" dye that faded on to it. This dye & color remover is sold where they sell Rit Dyes. If this doesn't work, try Hydrogen Peroxide followed by Ammonia then wash in the machine, & if you're ready to throw the jacket away, you can always try Bleach (in the machine) as a last resort. Just make sure the bleach is TOTALLY mixed in with the water before adding your garment!

* You can always call these guys, they sell dyes on the internet & they REALLY know their business when it comes to dyes (& removing them):

http://www.dharmatrading.com (800) 542-5227

Thanx for the advice,butI would love to knw the quantity of hydrogen perioxide along with ammonia whether to soak it in water which is luke warm or cold and for how long?kindly mention the type of the two ingredient because there are many categories of same so that it becomes easier to choose.

I have a corduroy sports coat that got some water spots on it from the rain. The rain drops dried and left the water spots. Are these now permanent or is there a way to get rid of them? The jacket is a dry clean item. Will dry cleaning remove the spots?

You could try "steaming" the water spots...If you have a stean iron, hold it over the spots (Do not touch the fabric...hold iron an inch away from fabric...) and while the spots are still damp, brush the spots with a clothes brush...

I have a pair of light colored corduroy pants and they are covered with some sort of dark color from the washer. I already dried them and they are just sitting there with this dark color all over them. How do I get it off?

Crystal from MN

Hey Stephanie,

I just used some "Rit color out" on a pair of winter white pants. It worked wonderfully. My stain was blood, however my mom swears by Rit. As a matter of fact, I'm going to use it again just in a load of whites to give them a brite white boost!

good luck!

Sharon

How do you clean stains off a corduroy couch?

By Jasmine T.