Cleaning Down Bedding

A feather bed, comforter or sleeping bag needs special care when being laundered. This guide is about cleaning down bedding.

December 16, 2015 Flag

Cleaning a Featherbed

CommentPin It!Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning a featherbed. It is important to clean a featherbed properly to avoid damaging it and to prevent odors.

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do you wash a feather blanket?

By Rose from Berwyn, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this at:answers.com:

Noisy, but so easy!

1) Wash your quilt or throw alone in the washing machine on gentle cycle (warm temperature).

2) Use detergent, as usual. Do not use bleach. (Your item will be quite soggy and limp after washing, but do not worry!)

3) Machine-dry the quilt or throw alone. (Toss three brand-new/clean tennis balls in the dryer with it.) They will bounce around and fluff up your quilt or throw.

4) You may have to run it through a few drying cycles, but it will come out clean and puffy, just like new.

Note: I keep a can of clean tennis balls in my laundry room, just for laundering feather-filled quilts, throws, jackets. Etc.

Learn more about this author, Linda Ann Nickerson.

That method works fine, as long as you use down soap, or a very sparing amount of baby soap. If you can't find

those, add a little bit of a shampoo / conditioner for very dry hair. That replaces the natural oil on the down, that

traps the air, so that ducks don't sink and so that body moisture does not condense in a sleeping bag.

That might not be critical in a heated house, but I spent two winters in tents in the arctic, and there it sure makes

a huge difference.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

I have only had feather pillows, and it takes much time for mine to dry. I always waited till it was middle summer to wash them, then hang them outside for several days, then fluff in the dryer with the tennis balls. When they are hanging outside drying, I would go out and fluff them by hand, and turn end to end, side to side, to prevent the feathers from clumping at one end, and leaving a big wad in the center that stays wet longer.

Very carefully.

Make sure you wash it on the gentle cycle so that it does not tear, feathers are everywhere!

November 1, 2006 Flag

How should I clean my feather down sleeping bag?

Erin from New Zealand

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Erin... I wash my down comforters all the time, so a sleeping bag should work just as well.

Take it to a laundromat and wash it on gentle cyle.

Then throw it in the largest dryer with 3 or four clean tennis balls or a very clean tennis shoe. The balls or shoe will pound the down and fluff it up. They dry in no time !

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsDecember 18, 2013
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Cleaning a Featherbed
Cleaning a Featherbed
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 24, 2017 at 1:43:04 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.