Browsing: Cleaning Down Bedding

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Cleaning Down Bedding

A feather bed, comforter or sleeping bag needs special care when being laundered. This guide is about cleaning down bedding.

Washing Down Bedding
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

March 27, 2005 Flag

I have a down comfortor and a feather bed. The direction says dry clean. I have washed down jackets and vests has anyone had any luck washing comfortors or feather beds.

Jo Anne from NY

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in a small town with no dry cleaner so I have to wash it myself. I use a gentle detergent that is made for down. I put a few tennis balls in the washer and dryer. It breaks up the clumps and helps the down to dry faster.

How often should you wash your feather bed? Should this been down as often as you change your sheets?

I sleep on an air bed which is on the floor i also have a feather bed topper on it that i sleep on top of. i went to clean my sheets an i moved the feather bed and found mold or mildew........what should i do to clean it or prevent it from happening again? thank you so much.

You can wash all of them. Make sure there are no holes or you will be sorry. Wash in cold water with light detergent on a very gental cycle. Dry on low heat for about 1.5 hours. It says to dryclean only because you bought a cheaper comforter with a water soluable sizing to keep the feathers from popping out. I'm in management for a drycleaner. Trust me.

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do you wash a feather blanket?

By Rose from Berwyn, IL

That method works fine, as long as you use down soap, or a very sparing amount of baby soap. If you can't find

those, add a little bit of a shampoo / conditioner for very dry hair. That replaces the natural oil on the down, that

traps the air, so that ducks don't sink and so that body moisture does not condense in a sleeping bag.

That might not be critical in a heated house, but I spent two winters in tents in the arctic, and there it sure makes

a huge difference.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

I have only had feather pillows, and it takes much time for mine to dry. I always waited till it was middle summer to wash them, then hang them outside for several days, then fluff in the dryer with the tennis balls. When they are hanging outside drying, I would go out and fluff them by hand, and turn end to end, side to side, to prevent the feathers from clumping at one end, and leaving a big wad in the center that stays wet longer.

Very carefully.

Make sure you wash it on the gentle cycle so that it does not tear, feathers are everywhere!

Read More Answers...

December 16, 2015 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning a featherbed. It is important to clean a featherbed properly to avoid damaging it and to prevent odors.

Cleaning a Featherbed

November 1, 2006 Flag

How should I clean my feather down sleeping bag?

Erin from New Zealand

Hi Erin... I wash my down comforters all the time, so a sleeping bag should work just as well.

Take it to a laundromat and wash it on gentle cyle.

Then throw it in the largest dryer with 3 or four clean tennis balls or a very clean tennis shoe. The balls or shoe will pound the down and fluff it up. They dry in no time !

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsDecember 18, 2013
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
A stack of soft fluffy down pillows.
Cleaning A Down Pillow
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 3:31:33 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.