Cleaning Down Bedding

A feather bed, comforter or sleeping bag needs special care when being laundered. This guide is about cleaning down bedding.

December 16, 2015 Flag

This is a guide about cleaning a featherbed. It is important to clean a featherbed properly to avoid damaging it and to prevent odors.

Cleaning a Featherbed

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 27, 2005 Flag

I have a down comfortor and a feather bed. The direction says dry clean. I have washed down jackets and vests has anyone had any luck washing comfortors or feather beds.

Jo Anne from NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use a front loading washer, a little baking soda to the wash with a little detergent. white vinegar to the rinse water...no softner...line dry as much as you can...then fluff in dryer. add clean sneakers or tennis balls to dryer....so it doesnt bunch up on you...fold in half..then in half again....dry for 15 minutes and take out and refold, place back in dryer...YOU WANT IT DRY!

I would do the front loader washer or commercial laundromat warm but not hot water, Dry in a warm but not hot dryer. Too hot of heat will dry out the feathers making them brittle over time. Ditto for removing the item often & repositioning in the dryer. Run dryer several cycles.

I have washed a down comforter in the washing machine, but it isn't the greatest or most effective method. For one thing, most washing machines that aren't heavy duty commercial ones aren't big enough to hold that sort of stuff. Secondly, unless you have a box type down comforter where the down is sewn into separate little boxes, the down is going to concentrate itself in one place, and trying to redistribute it properly is extremely difficult, and my experiences have been far less than successful. I don't know whether laundromats still have dry cleaning machines where you can do your own dry cleaning, but I used to be able to do my dry cleaning myself at one of these places. That was nearly 30 years ago, though. If you only dry clean the thing once a year, the expense isn't that bad. Have them pack it properly for you, too. Your washing machine will undoubtedly be completely unbalanced if you try to wash these things yourself -- especially if they are larger than twin size! You won't get it very clean either, and you might find that because of the bulk and size, it doesn't rinse properly. I wouldn't recommend it at all!

I ahev 2 down comforters that say dy clean only and i have put them in the washing machine on gentle cycle and then in the dryer on low heat and they came out just fine!!

ive been camping on a regular basis (more than once a month) for 17 years now, and ive found out a lot of useful things about anything with down feathers in them (such as sleeping bags). its said that it takes at least 120 years for the feathers to completely dry out, no matter how many times you send your blanket through the dryer. most of the time, after several years, the blanket starts to create mold from the inside out (from lack to dry all the feathers properly). if it were my blanket, i wouldnt risk it because i have allergies to mold. i know its more expensive, but for me at least, ill still be cleaning my sleeping bags through the dry cleaners.

Thank u all so much for youre wise words of wisdom on cleaning a featherbed, one i might add that not only my 13 year old son sleeps on but also his dog, not the best smelling featherbed.

I am going to go the Dry Claning route, thanks.

I live in a small town with no dry cleaner so I have to wash it myself. I use a gentle detergent that is made for down. I put a few tennis balls in the washer and dryer. It breaks up the clumps and helps the down to dry faster.

How often should you wash your feather bed? Should this been down as often as you change your sheets?

I sleep on an air bed which is on the floor i also have a feather bed topper on it that i sleep on top of. i went to clean my sheets an i moved the feather bed and found mold or mildew........what should i do to clean it or prevent it from happening again? thank you so much.

You can wash all of them. Make sure there are no holes or you will be sorry. Wash in cold water with light detergent on a very gental cycle. Dry on low heat for about 1.5 hours. It says to dryclean only because you bought a cheaper comforter with a water soluable sizing to keep the feathers from popping out. I'm in management for a drycleaner. Trust me.

Yes. I did a pillow and a comforter last night (duvet) and they came out fine again. The important thing is: BE GENTLE and dry them thoroughly! It takes AT LEAST 1.5 hours of drying or more, for a Queen size pillow. Same for the duvet. In between the drying cycle (every 15 minutes or so) take them out and FLUFF them. Adding a clean pair of tennis balls helps to facilitate this process. Above all , MAKE SURE you completely dry them! Otherwise they will MOLT and MOLD can also set in. This is why the average detergent on OLD STYLE feather down (there are many kinds of FEATHERS USED...hence the differences in prices for these products). A speciffic DOWN wash will help the feathers retain their natural oils. New and modern products have new sealing treatments to make it easier to wash these products. A feather bed/topper is a whole new ballgame! Find a laundromat with EXTRA LARGE MACHINES. Start by using an enzyme spray and letting them soak in the tub. Ring out what you can and then hang them in the sun for a few hours. This will remove sweat stains and bacterial odors. (Any pet enzyme should be OK I think there is a FABREEZE for this too, now). Then take it to the laundromat. Be prepaired with TONS of coin, it's going to take AT LEAST 3 hours! Wash it in COLD and don't use BLEACH! Some staining will remain, it's inevitable, but it will be clean. When drying, use the LARGEST MACHINES, as this will help with the speed of drying and LOFTING. Don't forget to add SEVERAL large clean items, to help with the FLUFFING. Best of luck. Dry cleaners, by the way, do not use a DRY CLEAN on these products, all the time. Most have REALLY LARGE industrial machines, to put things in!

Read More Answers...

August 12, 2010 Flag

How do you wash a feather blanket?

By Rose from Berwyn, IL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found this at:answers.com:

Noisy, but so easy!

1) Wash your quilt or throw alone in the washing machine on gentle cycle (warm temperature).

2) Use detergent, as usual. Do not use bleach. (Your item will be quite soggy and limp after washing, but do not worry!)

3) Machine-dry the quilt or throw alone. (Toss three brand-new/clean tennis balls in the dryer with it.) They will bounce around and fluff up your quilt or throw.

4) You may have to run it through a few drying cycles, but it will come out clean and puffy, just like new.

Note: I keep a can of clean tennis balls in my laundry room, just for laundering feather-filled quilts, throws, jackets. Etc.

Learn more about this author, Linda Ann Nickerson.

That method works fine, as long as you use down soap, or a very sparing amount of baby soap. If you can't find

those, add a little bit of a shampoo / conditioner for very dry hair. That replaces the natural oil on the down, that

traps the air, so that ducks don't sink and so that body moisture does not condense in a sleeping bag.

That might not be critical in a heated house, but I spent two winters in tents in the arctic, and there it sure makes

a huge difference.

Have FUN!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor/blog

I have only had feather pillows, and it takes much time for mine to dry. I always waited till it was middle summer to wash them, then hang them outside for several days, then fluff in the dryer with the tennis balls. When they are hanging outside drying, I would go out and fluff them by hand, and turn end to end, side to side, to prevent the feathers from clumping at one end, and leaving a big wad in the center that stays wet longer.

Very carefully.

Make sure you wash it on the gentle cycle so that it does not tear, feathers are everywhere!

November 1, 2006 Flag

How should I clean my feather down sleeping bag?

Erin from New Zealand

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Erin... I wash my down comforters all the time, so a sleeping bag should work just as well.

Take it to a laundromat and wash it on gentle cyle.

Then throw it in the largest dryer with 3 or four clean tennis balls or a very clean tennis shoe. The balls or shoe will pound the down and fluff it up. They dry in no time !

Home and Garden Cleaning Linens and BlanketsDecember 18, 2013
Bedding in a laundry basket.
Uses for Old Bedding
Hot Tea
Cooling Down Hot Drinks
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
A stack of soft fluffy down pillows.
Cleaning A Down Pillow
🎉
🎄