Removing Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

White board markers can leave stains on clothing which can be difficult to remove. This guide is about removing dry erase marker stains on clothing.

November 30, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about removing dry erase marker on polyester. Using the best cleaner for the stain and the fabric are crucial for safe removal of marker stains.

Four dry erase markers with the caps off.

October 1, 2012 Flag

I am an older man and disabled so I do the home work while my lovely wife teaches school. She came home with a major dry erase mark on her new pink blouse from Costco. I went to this site ThriftyFun. Of course alcohol, dry erase board cleaner, and OxiClean didn't even touch it. And being a colored shirt, I didn't dare use bleach type products. What worked very well was Murphy's Oil Soap and Banana Boat 50 sunscreen. So thanks for all your tips.

By j_lyday from SLC, UT

Don't try this on dyed cotton. The soap got the dry erase out but also bleached out some of the clothing's color.

Thank you very much for your recommendation cause it works!!! I dabbed on Banana Boat baby SPF 50 sunscreen lotion several times onto the front and back of a dry erase marker stain on a shirt. I scratched the stain with my finger nail to try to remove it. It only removed part of it. I didn't rinse the lotion off. Then I poured a little bit of Murphy's Oil Soap onto the front of the stain and again scratched the spot with my finger nail and repeated on the back side of it. I was so happy cause it honestly removed the entire stain! It didn't remove any of the original dye on the shirt either. Thanks again!

I just used a generic 50 spray sun screen and it worked on a dark dry erase marker. I tried hair spray and that usually gets out ink stains but not the dry erase marker. I would never have thought to use sun screen. Thanks for the tip. This was one of my daughter-in-law's favorite dresses for her 3 year old and I didn't want to be the one to ruin the dress.

I am a teacher and was accidentally written on with a dry erase marker by one of my students. I had black dry erase marker on a favorite bright pink tshirt. I tried alcohol, the dry erase board cleaning spray, Murphy's Oil Soap, sunscreen and hand sanitizer. The stain had barely changed. I remembered I had some fels naptha bar soap that I've used for other stubborn stains so I scrubbed some on my tshirt and the stain started fading immediately. I've had my bar for a while, but I think you can find it at Wal-Mart or order it online. Good luck!

July 1, 2014 Flag

I let my little grandson scribble with a dry erase marker and he got it all over his shirt. I was really surprised that it would be so difficult to get out. I tried all the tips listed, except for the ink remover.

July 1, 2013 Flag

I had a bright pink dry erase stain on some blue cotton chambray light-weight fabric. Scrubbing with lots of Murphy's Oil Soap got the ink out - along with some of the dress's blue color.

April 8, 2015 Flag

First I tried Murphy's Oil Soap on the water-wetted shirt spot. It took a bit of the stain out, but not much. Then I sprayed Top Job Spot & Stain carpet cleaner, it comes in a red plastic spray container, directly onto the spot and rubbed it with an old white cotton sock.

February 18, 2010 Flag

How do you get dry erase marker marks out of clothing?

By Glenda from Belleville, IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Murphy's Oil Soap removed an old blue Dry Erase Marker stain from a brand-new soft pink cotton blouse. I had tried to pre-soak it and had washed it many days earlier and let it dry. The stain was a bit faded but still very noticeable. I just tried the Murphy's soap with a white towel below and dabbed with a paper towel, moving around on the towel. The blue stain was tranferred to the towel below until it was completely gone from the blouse. There is no trace of stain on my blouse.

Wow! the sunscreen worked. My 3 year-old daughter got blue dry erase marker all over her new dress from Macy's, of course it matches her sister's so I was devastated. My DH said he took care of it when we got home which meant he sprayed it with Spray and Wash and set it on the dryer where it sat for weeks heating and reheating. I tried scrubbing, rewashing, Murphy's Oil Soap, rewashing and then MOS again, but using white paper towels and expired Water Babies Sunscreen worked. It took some elbow grease, but the stains are out! Thx spicmom for the post.

The Murphy's Oil Soap worked for me. My 16 month old got an expo marker from her oldest sister (yes, the 13 year old gave her an OPEN expo marker) and she got it over her other sister's comforter. I tried to spray it with Shout, and that did not work. The Murphy's Oil Soap took it out, even after washing it. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush and had a clean towel underneath to absorb the color.

Using a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol.

March 12, 2010 Flag

How do you remove dry-erase stains from a white polyurethane vest? I have tried rubbing alcohol, Murphy's Oil soap, Oxi Clean spray, and have washed it. I have not put in dryer. Nothing even touches it.

By Sara from IA

Nail poilish remover or hairspray.

good luck.

February 18, 2010 Flag

I need help removing dry eraser marks on a tee shirt.

By Mary L from Darien Center, NY

Answers:

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I used hand sanitizer to remove the marker ink. Squirt some on the stain and blot it. Keep changing the paper towel to a clean place after every blot. Hope this helps. (06/25/2009)

By ashleybunkin

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

The "Tide Pen" removes everything including permanent ink that a magic marker left on my couch and it removed it. Good luck! (06/28/2009)

By Deb816

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

My 18 month old put blue and green polka dots ALL OVER my suede cloth couch and pillows with a dry erase marker. I ran and grabbed my toothbrush and started frantically trying everything I had to get the stains out. I tried soap 2 minutes after the stains happened and nothing, then Shout and nothing, then Oxi-clean and nothing, then Fabuloso and nothing as well.

Then I tried Murphy's Oil Soap an hour later and amazingly it took all 50 stains right out. You just dab the Murphy's oil soap on affected areas, leave for one minute, scrub with a toothbrush and it comes right off! Of course with my light suede material I had to wet down all the cushions and pillows so you can't see water spots. Then put the cushions and pillows outside on the trampoline to dry. You will be amazed! (08/20/2009)

By analicia21005

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

Ok, if you are going to do the Murphy's oil soap trick, read this: Put a paper towel under the stain (inside the clothing). Don't just dab the spot with the Murphy's Oil Soap, pour it on (well enough to cover the stain). Then I took a butter knife and used the end to scrape the stain (I put it on the table for leverage) and it worked!

Right before this miracle I tried the rubbing alcohol and a little dabbed off, then I wet it. Then I tried the Spray N Wash Max (nothing happened), and then I wet it to get that off and did the Murphy's oil soap. To my amazement it worked! (10/14/2009)

By CNYGIRL

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

My son got dry erase marker on a t-shirt and on the white "iron-on" letters that personalized the shirt. I tried rubbing alcohol first, but it didn't take any of it off. I then washed it with Cheer, Zout and Oxi-Clean, no luck. And I had no luck with the described Dawn or Murphys' Oil soap. (Goo Gone didn't work either.)

Then I remembered having the numbers on a key pad smear off when my hands were greasy with sunscreen. Believe it or not it worked. I used Coppertone Water Babies. The shirt was damp from the washer, so I put a paper towel underneath the stain and then rubbed in a dollop of sunscreen with another paper towel. The blue marker came off on the paper towel. I just kept rotating the paper towels until all the marker was gone. I had to put new sunscreen on after it had soaked into the material. It blotted through on the underside too, and I moved the spot to a clean area each time. It came off the white numbers, and the red material without harming the shirt in any way. Then I just laundered the shirt again to get out all the sunscreen. Odd, but it worked. (10/23/2009)

By spicmom

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

It worked! My daughter got it on a 100% polyester satin dress, red in color, and the Murphy's oil soap worked. I just put a clean cloth behind it and used an old toothbrush. I dipped the toothbrush in the soap and scrubbed the material. You do have to continue to move the clothing to a clean part of the cloth/towel. It transfers to the cloth you put behind it, after it seemed like the stain was gone. I used some dawn dish soap water mixture and blotted with a clean paper towel. Thanks! It does work, even on brand new red satin Christmas dresses! (12/23/2009)

By fojays

June 23, 2009 Flag

I have green dry erase marker on my coach suede bag (camel suede color). Lots of marks, not just a small one.

October 15, 2006 Flag

I have whiteboard marker stains on many of my clothes. How can I remove these stains?

Kirsty, Malaysia

Answers:

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

Hair spray, Oxy Clean, fingernail polish remover (acetone), and shout did not work for me.

To add to the list of things that don't work, I tried 409.

The problem with dry erase is that -none- of it is water soluble. In fact, if you get it wet, you can't even get it off a dry erase board without a special cleaner!

I rinsed it with 99% isopropyl alcohol, it removed some of it but not all.

In fact my next attempt will be to go get a bottle of dry erase board cleaner and see if it will get it out of cloth. My wife got some on a white T-shirt, just below and into a screen printed picture. (11/15/2005)

By Steve G.

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I have researched this topic, due to my children using them in the classroom and of course it ends up on there clothes. I have not purchased it yet, but Amodex ink remover is supposed to work. The makers of dry erase even give it as a suggestion on there web page as a way to remove dry erase ink stains. (12/01/2005)

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

If the piece of apparel is worth something to you, then absolutely take it to a professional cleaner and show them the spot and tell them it is from a dry erase marker. You can easily ruin clothing using any of the items suggested in the posts here.

No, I am not in the dry cleaning business nor is anyone in my family. (01/23/2006)

By Rooster

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I got a dry erase marker stain on a cyan blue shirt today. I used the dry erase board cleaner on the stains and then blotted them with a wet paper towel and the marker stain came out! And it didn't bleach my shirt either! But, you know... that might not be true for every shirt. (03/03/2006)

By mousetrap

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I was able remove dry erase marks from my fridge using a magic rub eraser. (04/13/2006)

By John

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

Alcohol, not the drinking kind, will take it off clothes as well as other surfaces. (04/13/2006)

By Mary

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

Thank you for being here! I did a dumb thing. I was playing a game on my computer and used a expo marker to mark East on my brand new Mac 20 inch monitor. After the game was over I tried to rub it off using Windex Says (Great for Whiteboards). It didn't work!!

Then I read here that someone used a Magic Rub Eraser and I tried it. Thank god! A tiny bit of Scratch if you get it just right in the light but no more blue color at all! An hour spent in a panic! Thanks! (04/20/2006)

By freidaw

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Carpet

My 2 year old decided to color on our new beige carpet with black dry erase marker. A LOT. I was able to get it out by, 1) vacuuming the area to remove the unattached dry erase particles 2) spraying the area bit by bit with dry erase removal solution for the wipe board and rubbing in every direction with a clean paper towel. Bit by bit the towel would take on the black color from the marker and I would switch to a new one.

It took me about half an hour to remove maybe 7 lines and dots of the marker, and I kept alternating spraying, scrubbing with the paper towel, and vacuuming.

My arms are killing me, I used up the whole bottle of dry erase remover and half a roll of paper towels, but the rug is finally spotless. Hard work but very worth it. Good luck removing your stains! (05/19/2006)

By CNY

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

I just wanted to let all know what finally got out the dry erase marker stains! I tried everything that was suggested and here's what works: DO NOT wet garment, apply generous amounts of AMODEX Stain Remover and Stanley Steamer carpet stain remover. I have only used these together, so perhaps only one may be needed, but after 3 ruined shirts, I'll stick with what I know! I hope this helps! (09/14/2006)

By A Frustrated Mom

Dry Erase Marker Stains on Clothing

Try spraying straight vinegar on it. Soak it for a while then scrub it.
I like vinegar for most stubborn stains and for household cleaning. (10/13/2006)

By Anne

Product Websites

Whatever the stain, from whatever product, if you go to that products website they always have tips and suggestions on stain removal. Eg.. Dry erase marker stain, go to stanford marker web site. If you don't know the website, google the product name. (10/15/2006)

By Kari

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsAugust 17, 2012
Wet Erase Marker
Removing Wet Erase Marker Stains
A boy writing on a white board with a dry erase marker.
Removing Dry Erase Marker From Fabric
Dry Erase Markers
Removing Dry Erase Marker from a Couch
Dry Erase Markers
Reviving Dry Erase Markers
🎉
🎄