Murphy's Oil Soap and Sunscreen For Dry Erase Marker Stain

I am an older man and disabled so I do the home work while my lovely wife teaches school. She came home with a major dry erase mark on her new pink blouse from Costco. I went to this site ThriftyFun. Of course alcohol, dry erase board cleaner, and OxiClean didn't even touch it. And being a colored shirt, I didn't dare use bleach type products. What worked very well was Murphy's Oil Soap and Banana Boat 50 sunscreen. So thanks for all your tips.

By j_lyday from SLC, UT

Top Comment

Did you mix equal parts of Murphy Oil Soap & the sunscreen & then rub it on the stain? Pretty clever idea--I voted for you because you are so ingenious!

Was the answer to your question yes?

Anonymous
Top Comment

Thank you very much for your recommendation cause it works!!! I dabbed on Banana Boat baby SPF 50 sunscreen lotion several times onto the front and back of a dry erase marker stain on a shirt. I scratched the stain with my finger nail to try to remove it. It only removed part of it. I didn't rinse the lotion off. Then I poured a little bit of Murphy's Oil Soap onto the front of the stain and again scratched the spot with my finger nail and repeated on the back side of it. I was so happy cause it honestly removed the entire stain! It didn't remove any of the original dye on the shirt either. Thanks again!

Don't try this on dyed cotton. The soap got the dry erase out but also bleached out some of the clothing's color.

I just used a generic 50 spray sun screen and it worked on a dark dry erase marker. I tried hair spray and that usually gets out ink stains but not the dry erase marker.

I would never have thought to use sun screen. Thanks for the tip. This was one of my daughter-in-law's favorite dresses for her 3 year old and I didn't want to be the one to ruin the dress.

I am a teacher and was accidentally written on with a dry erase marker by one of my students. I had black dry erase marker on a favorite bright pink tshirt. I tried alcohol, the dry erase board cleaning spray, Murphy's Oil Soap, sunscreen and hand sanitizer. The stain had barely changed. I remembered I had some fels naptha bar soap that I've used for other stubborn stains so I scrubbed some on my tshirt and the stain started fading immediately. I've had my bar for a while, but I think you can find it at Wal-Mart or order it online. Good luck!

Where do you get Murphy's Oil soap?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!! I was so upset when I thought my son's favorite shirt was ruined!

Very pleasantly surprised how well this worked!!

Thank you so much! My nephew got dry eraser marker on him when I was teaching him to write his ABCs on his favorite dinosaur t-shirt! I thought of some type of lotion, but not sunscreen so thank you so much!

Would it work on uniform pants? My son seems to always get the stains on his pants.

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryOctober 1, 2012
🐛
🌻
📓