Cleaning With Baking Soda and Vinegar

Category Products
Baking Soda and Vinegar
Household cleaning can be accomplished without harmful chemicals or expensive cleaners. This guide is about cleaning with baking soda and vinegar.

I always use the old baking soda I take out of the fridge or freezer and put it down the disposal. I add vinegar to make it bubble up and get to every part inside. This keeps it smelling clean and fresh. When I turn it on to rinse, I add a cup or two of ice cubes and let it run until the cubes are gone. I understand this keeps the blades sharp.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

We all know vinegar and baking soda are good cleaners. I was cleaning my kitchen drains, you put the baking soda in and then vinegar to let it bubble up and freshen the drains. Well I have a tile counter top and the grout gets stained and crumbs are hard to get out too. I put a thin layer of baking soda down and then put some vinegar on it. I let it bubble up and then gave a light wash with the mixture. After rinsing, I saw how clean the grout was and the tiles sparkled. I tried it on the tile floor in my foyer. WOW. Clean grout with little to no effort. Now I am just bubbling away every place I used either the vinegar or baking soda to clean. No harsh cleaners on my hands. I have a parrot and always used apple cider to clean his cage. It has germ killing properties. Now I will use the bubble mixture to make it even easier. On the rabbits' little box too.

By Valery from Cranford, NJ

When you have baked on or cooked on grime you are fighting with on your pots and pans and bakeware, try this:

1. Sprinkle baking soda over all the grime.
  2. Pour some vinegar or lemon juice over the baking soda so that it fizzes real good.
  3. Next pour boiling water over all and let it soak for 20 minutes in this boiling mixture.
  4. Clean with ease.
By Carly from Lynnwood, WA

These inexpensive household items may take care of the problem. This is a guide about using baking soda and vinegar on carpet. Old carpet stains can be difficult to remove.

Baking Soda
and Vinegar

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about cleaning your tub with vinegar and baking soda. Instead of using expensive and sometimes harsh chemicals try this method of cleaning your bathtub.

Glass bottle of Vinegar next to a jar of baking soda.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Will baking soda mixed with vinegar scratch a stainless steel sink, if used for cleaning?

By Marion

I doubt it, I've used a huge lot of Ajax (with bleach) to clean mine and never had a problem. Test a small corner of the sink with the baking soda and vinegar to see, but I don't see it causing a problem.

I would use a non scratch pad that you can buy at any grocery store along with your mixture of baking soda and vinegar. I use the non scratch pads all the time for cleaning item that I don't want sratched.

Mix your baking soda with water. Mixing it with vinegar neutralizes it; it is just a waste. The point of a stainless steel sink is that is tough; you don`t have to worry about scratching them with normal household products.

Last month, Connie from Paintsville, KY, posted a tip about cleaning a toilet with baking soda and red wine vinegar. Several TF readers asked for more specifics (how much of each product do you use?), but I never saw Connie's answer. Does anyone know?

Thanks very much for your help.

By Casey from Plano, TX

Answers

I would just put in the baking soda, and then add the vinegar carefully...because it will fizz like crazy when it hits the baking soda, and you don't want a smelly, fizzy mess on your floor. :-)

Why not just experiment yourself?

http://www.natu  ningrecipes.com/

Can you use vinegar or baking soda to clean stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops?

I used to clean houses. for greasy granite use 409 or mean green first use a lot of water to clean residue. dry off. then mix a 1/4 cup vinegar and water to fill spray bottle. spray countertops wipe clean with lint free paper towel, like the blue kind you buy for automobiles.

Stainless steel trick clean steel with vinegar mixture above wipe clean with blue paper towels, then spray liquid gold on steel, wipe off only towards the grain on the steel, wipe off fridges like this start from top to bottom long even handed stroke. Sometimes it takes some practice with the liquid gold to get a even stroke down the appliances. Not recommended for the top of stove this is dangerous with liquid gold but you can use vinegar and water.

I was wondering if anyone has used this mix of baking soda and vinegar for surfaces other than floors? For example, has anyone cleaned walls (painted drywall), wood, appliances?

By Karen from Luthersburg, PA

I want to start cleaning with vinegar and baking soda, but my problem is I don't know how to go about using them. I need all suggestions on how to mix and use baking soda and vinegar for cleaning.

Thanks
Rhonda from Michigan

Answers:

Using Baking Soda and Vinegar for Cleaning

Here is a great site that I use
www.lakelivingston.com/vinegar-tips.htm (08/27/2006)

By vee

care2.com will tell you how to use natural things for everything, including baking soda and vinegar. But I will say that I use baking soda in place of cleanser/scrub .make a paste with water. If something wet spills on your carpet put a lot of baking soda on it and it will pull up the liquid from the carpet. White vinegar is good in place of fabric softener. And it's a deodorizer and disinfectant. Then you can also use them together. To clean drains,etc. pour down some b.soda and then some vinegar. It bubbles and foams away and cleans inside of drains. There are so many ways to use them you will be surprised. You can even use them on yourself.Good luck. (08/28/2006)

By pam2cats

This might be more than you wanted but also good info to have.

All Purpose Cleaner
Mix one quart of hot water with 1/4 cup sudsy ammonia, 1/4 cup white vinegar and one tablespoon of baking soda
Brass and Copper Cleaner
Mix salt and either lemon juice or hot vinegar
Carpet Cleaner
Sprinkle cornstarch on dry carpet and vacuum after five minutes.

Carpet Shampoo
Mix 1/2 cup of pure liquid dish washing soap and two cups of boiling water; let it cool and then whip to jelly. Rub carpet gently with mix and dampened sponge. Then rinse with cloth and one quart of water with one cup of white vinegar. Wipe carpet dry with a clean cloth.

Chrome Cleaner
Use hot water with either rubbing alcohol or ammonia.
Difficult Laundry Stains
Blood: Soak the item in cold water or hydrogen peroxide or apply a mixture of cornstarch and talcum powder or cornmeal and water; dry and brush away.

Chewing Gum: Rub with ice and flake off.
Coffee: Try egg yolk with warm water
Fruit and Wine: Immediately pour on salt or hot water and soak in milk.
Grease: Pour on boiling water and then follow by baking soda.
Heavy Soils: Rub with a solution made up of two tablespoons of washing soda and one cup of warm water.
Ink: Soak in milk or hydrogen peroxide.
Lipstick: Rub with cold cream or shortening and wash with washing soda.

Mildew: Rub strong soap and salt on spots; place in sunlight while keeping spots moist.
Rust: Soak with sour milk or lemon juice and rub with salt; dry in sun and wash.
Scorches: Boil the article in one cup of soap and two quarts of milk.

Dish Cleaner
Use soap flakes in hot water. Add vinegar for tough grease when necessary.
Dishwasher Detergent
Mix Borax and washing soda in a one-to-one ratio or Borax and baking soda in a two-to-one ratio.
Disinfectant
Dissolve 1/8 cup of Borax in one quart of hot water.

Drain Cleaner
Pour 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of vinegar into the drain. Cover the drain until fizzing stops and then flush with boiling water.

Furniture Polish
Use olive oil on unvarnished wood. On varnished wood, spray lightly with two tablespoons of olive oil, one tablespoon of white vinegar and one quart of water and let it dry.
Glass Cleaner
Spray with a mixture of 1/8 cup of vinegar, 1/2 cup of ammonia and one quart of water. Then dry with crumpled newspaper.
Laundry Detergent
During water fill, add 1/3 cup of washing soda. Put in the clothes and then add one cup of pure soap. During the rinse cycle, add 1/4 cup of vinegar as softener.

Oven Cleaner
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Put a non-aluminum pan with 1/4 cup of ammonia and water in the oven, with door closed, overnight. Scrub clean with baking soda in the morning.

Pest Spray for Foliage
Garlic Water: Mix two tablespoons of garlic juice, one ounce of diatomaceous earth, one teaspoon of rubbing alcohol and four quarts of water. This can be frozen.
Pepper Water: Blend three very hot peppers, 1/2 onion and garlic clove in water. Boil the mixture, steep for two days, and strain. This is good for indoor plants too, and it can be frozen.
Soap: Use two tablespoons of pure liquid soap or 50 grams of pure dry soap per quart of water.
Tobacco Water: Let a large handful of tobacco stand in four quarts of warm water for 24 hours; dilute and spray (poisonous to humans).
Silver Cleaner
Immerse silver in a mixture of one quart of water, one tablespoon of salt, and one tablespoon of baking soda; bring to a boil. Remove, rinse and polish.

Toilet Bowl Cleaner
Apply a paste of lemon juice and Borax. Let this stand for two hours.
Tooth Cleaner Phosphate-Free
Use baking soda with lemon juice and mint extract.
Tub and Tile Cleaner
Scrub with baking soda, washing soda or Borax.

Upholstery Cleaner
Mix six tablespoons of soap flakes, two tablespoons of Borax and two cups of boiling water; cool and shake vigorously. On a small area, brush in only suds with soft circular motions and remove with a soft cloth.
Wood Floor Polish
Mix 1/8 cup of melted paraffin in one quart of mineral oil. Apply with a cloth. Then dry and polish your floor.

(08/29/2006)

By Sqauw2000@yahoo.com