Cleaning a Textured (Popcorn) Ceiling

When cleaning a popcorn ceiling, it is important to determine what the texture is composed of. This guide is about cleaning a textured (popcorn) ceiling.

A textured popcorn ceiling
Filter Sort

Tip: Dusting a Popcorn Ceiling

By Dana 3 2

This was a frustrating solution to figure out. I'm sharing it in hopes it will help someone. About a year ago we bought an older home that had popcorn ceilings throughout. I didn't notice until after moving in that there was dust stuck to every one of those stupid ridges; dust and years of what appeared to be cobwebs.

I first tried a regular duster. I didn't get much off there but I did get a mouthful of popcorn and a heck of a mess on the floor I do not recommend trying that method.

Second, I used duct tape to secure a swifter duster to a broom stick, again big mess in the floor, little (if any) dust removed from ceiling and little pieces of swifter duster stuck to the ridges in addition to the dust.

Ok, so this was beginning to drive me crazy. Over several months, I tried loads of different methods, failing each time until I decided I'd try one last thing before breaking down and scraping it smooth and painting.

So the solution is: Duct tape wrapped around a paint roller (wrong side out obviously). This worked like a charm!

It's easy, cheap and effective. I highly recommend trying it. You'll be happy knowing you finally cleaned the ceiling.

By Dana from Katy, Texas

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning a Popcorn Ceiling

By rmewife 1

I have dust from a ceiling fan on my popcorn ceiling. How do I clean it?

By rmewife from Enterprise, AL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

I bought one of the new Swiffer dusters, the one with the handle that can be made longer. That works real well for cleaning my popcorn ceiling that gets dirty from ceiling fan. The handle isn't as long as I would like, but this duster goes over it so lightly it doesn't make the wonderful popcorn break off, and it gets rid of the dust. My ceiling was really bad and I had to use two of fluffy duster things to get the job done, but I am satisfied.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lisa 2 131 Flag

If you want to get rid of the popcorn ceiling altogether, find a person who knows how to skim coat and they'll make it disappear. We did that in my daughter's bathroom and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. For now, though, I'll have to continue vacuuming the ceiling in my room.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Trish Sablic 16 Flag

I don't know about other countries, but asbestos was banned in the USA in 1977. Popcorn ceilings continued to be popular in home building, however, bits of styrofoam instead of asbestos were used. So you needn't worry about asbestos unless your home was built prior to 1977.

We bought a home built in 1992 that has popcorn ceilings throughout. They are a terrible pain to clean and seem to collect every bit of dust in the air.

I use one of those fluffy long-handled dusters to do iit but still manage to knock down "popcorn bits" every time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Use a broom with a soft cloth secured over the bristles and gently brush the debris away. If you don't know the age of the popcorn ceiling be sure to wear a mask because the popcorn ceilings installed prior to the 1980's more than likely contain asbestos. Also be sure to clean up all droppings right after wiping the ceiling that might have fallen and wash the cloth used.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Painting and Cleaning Textured Ceilings

By Bobbie 166 11

We have a textured ceiling in our kitchen, and it had a lot of dirt and grease buildup (little fuzzies all over the ceiling). I tried washing it, which did not work, so we came up with the idea of using a paint roller with an extender and putting a lint roller (the masking-tape type) on each end. They fit perfectly, and the dirt came right off. It looks so much better!

By Bobbie g from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning Popcorn Ceilings

By dodie 1

How do you clean popcorn ceilings? Mine have black, sooty stains right near the heat registers. Thanks.

By Dodie from Winston Salem, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By Sherry 1 57 Flag

If you have a canister style vacuum cleaner, use the long hose attachment with the brush on the end of it. Brush over the ceiling very lightly with the brush and vacuum it. You may need a step ladder too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I have used a couple of things: a long handled "fluffy" duster and a broom to which I have attached a damp cloth. I brush over the ceiling gently, some of the little white bumps come off, but it's easier for me than using a vacuum.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Tahloolabelle 36 90 Flag

To get rid of a stain on a popcorn ceiling I was once advised to put some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray the stain. I let it dry and then tried it again. It did take the two applications, but it worked for me. I don't know about soot, though. It's worth a try!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Janet 11 720 Flag

Unless you know that your popcorn ceiling is asbestos free, you should not disturb it. Asbestos can cause serious health damage, cancer and possibly death. Many popcorn ceilings contain asbestos.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Smoke Stains on a Popcorn Ceiling

By Liz 1

My son let a candle burn down to the smoking point in his room with the ceiling fan on that sprayed black soot all over the room. It is on the walls, drapes, lamp shades and worst of all the popcorn ceiling! How do I cleaning the ceiling without spreading it all over?

By Liz from Maitland, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By kathleen williams 76 1,661 Flag

Dust around the fans and ceiling vents with a dry paint brush or feather duster. Use a vacuum cleaner with a soft brush attachment to carefully clean the larger areas. Never scrub with a cloth as this can break free bits of the plaster.

It is a labor intensive job, but easily accomplished when done as outlined above. Once or twice a year should keep them dust and cobweb free, I didn't do it more often than that, life's too short!

If your ceilings are discolored from cooking or cigarette smoke, they can be painted. One coat of Kilz brand primer paint will insure that stains don't bleed through. Allow to dry completely before applying a coat of white ceiling paint. It will make a wonderful difference in the look and smell of the house.

Using drop cloths and a sprayer will stop the plaster from moving around when it's wet. If you have to use a brush or thick roller, make sure that the ceiling dries completely between coats. It is very important that the plaster not be disturbed when it softens!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Cleaning a Spackled Ceiling

I have a Spackled dry wall ceiling and it is stained yellow. How do I clean off the ceiling without damaging the Spackle?

William from southwest MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

50/50 solution, water and bleach, spray it on. Ceiling come up white as snow.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Use Broom to Clean Popcorn Ceiling

By herrington_mary 1

I dust my popcorn ceiling by using a broom. Yes, it does cause some particles to fall but not if you dust/broom it lightly.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceAugust 8, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    A bathtub.
    Cleaning a Textured Bathtub Floor
    Removing a Popcorn Ceiling
    Removing a Popcorn Ceiling
    Cleaning Tile Floors, Textured blue floor tile.
    Cleaning Textured Flooring
    Assembling a ceiling fan.
    Installing a Ceiling Fan
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:23:45 AM on 10.0.2.55 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings