Corned Beef Dinner
For Saint Patrick's Day this year I decided to do a variation on the normal corned beef and cabbage. I started with a recipe I found in the Better Homes and Garden's New Cook Book and modified it to work in my crockpot.
Total Time: 20 minutes prep; 8 hours in the crock pot
- 1 (2 - 2 1/2 lb.) corned beef brisket with seasoning packet
- 1 tsp whole black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, quartered (or baby carrots)
- 2 medium parsnips or 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- Trim fat from meat. Place in crock pot.
- Add juices, spices from packet, and enough water to cover meat. Add bay leaf and cracked pepper.
- Place potatoes, carrots, parsnips (or rutabaga), onion, and cabbage over top. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or 4 hours on high.
- If desired serve with horseradish or mustard.
November 13, 20150 found this helpful
Great minds think alike! This year I did my corned beef & cabbage in the Crock Pot too, and it worked out very well! I also used carrots and onions. My corned beef was so large, I had to cook it first, then put the vegetables in later after it was done. I cooked the veggies in the beef liquid so everything had that lovely flavor. I always do my corned beef & cabbage the day before, because it's always better the next day. I just reheat it in the microwave and feast!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on January 4, 2017 at 7:15:35 AM on 10.0.0.93 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us