Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

Soda or pop can tabs are being reused in a variety of craft projects. This is a guide about crafts using pop can tabs.

Rainbow Bracelet
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 18, 2011 Flag

This is my latest creation! My fun bracelet is made from soda pop tabs. I used alcohol inks and stretch cord to transform this "junk" into stylish jewelry! They're super easy to make and fun for kids to wear.

Source: I Googled "What can I make with pop tabs?" and got results for purses and bracelets, but none were colored like this.

By Kayla

Rainbow Bracelet

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 12, 2012 Flag

Use Coke Tab to Hang a PictureIf you get a photo frame and there is no hook on the back, using a screw attach the Coke tab to the back of your frame. Then hang your picture!

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

September 17, 2010 Flag

An inexpensive way to hang items up that are not in a frame like sea shells, ceramics, or really anything for that matter, is to use a soda or beer tab top. Just attach it either by super glue or E-6000 for heavier items. I have done this for years. I always get asked "How did you get that to hang up like that?"

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

November 6, 2004 Flag

You can make items using soda tabs, sell them and give a large percentage to the Ronald McDonald House or other children's charities.

By Patricia Bledsoe

Editor's Note: Anyone have some ideas for what can be made with soda tabs?

August 21, 2005 Flag

I wanted to make a soda can tab belt. But then I was thinking, what should I put on them so they won't rust?

Thanks!
~Tip

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to make a soda can tabs belt....require a pattern, model how to do. Thank you...in french would be even better...

faronmark AT hotmail.com

I was wondering how to make a soda pop tab bag/wallet. I've seen them but they are really expensive, and I have alot of tabs. Can you give me instructions of a pattern?

Read More Answers...

July 2, 2005 Flag

Using soda pop tabs for crafting is fun & easy.

• clear embossing ink
  • soda pop tabs
  • colored embossing powder
  • heat embossing tool
  • pair of tweezers

Directions:

1. You will first coat the soda tab with the embossing ink (I do the fronts only.)

2. Using the tweezers, dip the soda tab into the embossing color of choice.

3. Hold the soda tab with tweezers and heat the tab with the heating embossing tool until powder is melted. Be VERY CAREFUL, it will be HOT! You will need to repeat these steps 2 or 3 times for a good coating.

These can be used as "buckles" for any craft project. Have Fun!

By KimSecret

embossed pop tab Red embossed soda pop tab

April 30, 2012 Flag

What can I do with pop can tabs? I have around 200 pop can tabs that I saved from soda cans and I don't know what to do with them.

By Marlene F.

I saw on TV news last night a young girl made a Prom dress from Pop tabs. It was well made and looked great. But alas, there were no directions on how she made the Pop tab dress.

If you have a person in your house who makes wood wall plaques these tabs can be attached to the back to hang on the wall.

June 13, 2005 Flag

I was wondering what i could do with all the soda can tabs my family has. I decided a belt and/or a purse would be cool if it was made out of them. Does anyone have any idea where I
could find out how to make them? Thanks for all your help!

The rumor about Ronald McDonald house using these is just that - a rumor. It's on Snopes.com

Sorry Susie, you are wrong. First, your answer did not addresse the posters question, which was about making belts.

There are about a dozen YouTube videos on the topic, and this is the leading Face book page on the topic

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pop-Top-Lady/119279167491

Lotta good pictures there, many craft techniques, and more importantly, craft grade tab suppliers.

Now, as for this stupid snopes page calling tab redemption a myth, which is probably the most misquoted page in all of snopes...the only urban myth to the McDonalds Article on snopes, is snopes itself. RMDH (Ronald McDonald's House) has been trying to get the snopes page on this subject removed since 2005, but the pure arrogance of snopes is that they are never wrong.

McDonalds House Charities does in fact still accept pull tabs as part of their fundraising. They have been collecting them since 1987 at MOST McDonald houses. In 1992, the McDonald's Corporation itself joined the tabs for RMDH program, making it simpler to collect tabs. You no longer have to travel to a RMDH to donate tabs, you can just go to the closest McDonalds. Your baggies, cans and boxes of tabs are loaded back on the semi's that drop off the food, and as the trucks report back to Loading hubs, tabs are unloaded, sent to the scrap yard, and the money is used to allow families to stay near their hospitalized youth.

I personally have donated 23.5 million tabs to RMDH, as in I actually walked into the building and donated them, so there is no doubt that I am right, and snopes is wrong. I would add that I account for 2.4% of all the tabs collected in this program by myself, and have organized a dozen Upper Michigan Scouting Units to collect another 40 million tabs.

It is estimated that RMDH will surpass 1 Billion tabs in the first week of August 2014

Read More Answers...

January 16, 2012 Flag

I have about 200 pop can tabs; what can I make with them?

By Marlene

I will give you $75 for them.

Are you still looking to buy the pop top tabs? Let me know.

September 27, 2006 Flag

Pop can tab.When you need something to use as a hanger for one of your craft items, just hot glue soda pop tabs to the back of your craft. Use one or two tabs depending on the width and weight of your artwork.

By Terri

December 24, 2014 Flag

I recently went on a volunteer trip to Jamaica to work at schools in areas with extreme poverty. One of the students at the school made this super-adorable bracelet using only soda can tabs and a shoelace. Unfortunately I don't have step-by-step pictures.

Soda Tab Bracelet

• soda can tabs
  • 1 shoelace

1. To make the bracelet, you simply weave the shoelace over and under two layers of soda can tabs. Start by pulling one end of the shoelace up through the top hole of a soda tab. Then thread the shoelace up through the bottom hole of the soda tab. Slide this tab to the middle of the shoelace. This is the beginning of the bracelet.
  2. Thread the top shoelace up through the top hole of a second tab (tab B) and then down through the top hole of a third tab (tab C). Thread the bottom shoelace up through the bottom hole of tab B and down through tab C. Tab C will be on the top row (and offset). Continue to weave the tabs together in this fashion until bracelet reaches the desired length.
  3. Take the each of the shoelace ends and draw them back to the beginning of the bracelet and thread them through tab A (this will allow you to tighten the bracelet).
  4. Soda Tab BraceletSoda Tab BraceletSoda Tab Bracelet

July 24, 2005 Flag

I am wondering if there is anything out there that's cheap to put on pop tabs so they won't rust. I found a way to make a belt and a purse out of them. But I just know they'll rust.

Tip

they are aluminum they won't rust!

if you are afraid of them rusting, go to walmart in auto paint dept and buy a spray can of clear rustoleum and spray on it when done making . hang on clothesline to dry. will be dry in about 10 min. can costs 1$ or less on sale. my hubby uses this on car parts and so i know it will work. make sure the cap on can is clesr.

Read More Answers...

August 18, 2004 Flag

If you make homemade jar candles as I do, you can use pop tabs as a weight for your wicks. If you drink pop they are pretty much free!

May 26, 2010 Flag

How do you make a purse out of soda tabs?

By Laura from Mesa, AZ

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-make-a-pop-tab-purse does exist, but you need to post it right to your line and not go by the link.

First thing you need to know is that you will need "a lot" of pop tabs. The finished purse contained 727 pop tabs. Good luck.

March 30, 2010 Flag

I want to know if anyone has instructions on how to make leis and bolo ties with the pop can tabs?

By Rosemary from Kihei, HI

I collect the tabs to donate to Ronald McDonald House. The aluminum content is very valuable, more than the cans (although I recycle those). Please find some other item to use for crafts and donate the tabs for a really good cause.

April 18, 2011 Flag

By Rebecca Lanham

***

***

Make a fashion statement with some pop tabs and ribbon!

Items Needed:

• A lot of pop tabs
  • thin ribbon (any color)

Instructions:

1. Take one pop tab and place it on a piece of ribbon that is big enough to surround your wrist.

2. Tie it in a knot at the end, leaving at least 2 inches of ribbon loose.

3. Place another pop tab under the first with the "bottoms" which is the side that would be down on your can of pop) facing each other.

4. Slide the 2nd pop tab slightly to the right. You should see an opening in the two pop tabs that is oval in shape. Feed the ribbon up through that hole.

5. Place another pop tab next to the first pop tab. You should see another oval of space when you look at the 2nd and 3rd pop tabs. Feed the ribbon down through that hole.

6. Keep repeating the "add pop tab, feed ribbon" until you have a long enough string of tabs to encircle your wrist.

7. Tie the loose end of the ribbon in a knot around the last pop tab.

8. Tie the extra ribbon at the ends into a knot so that the bracelet fits your wrist, but can easily be slid on and off.

You can add to this bracelet by stopping pop tabs occasionally and adding a charm or beads to the ribbon. You can also keep the excess ribbon on the ends of the bracelets and add beads for decoration.

This craft is rather difficult and time consuming. It would work wonderfully as a project for a crafter's workshop. Nice project when you are working with teens.

Answers:

Pop Tab Bracelet

I love it, so cute! (09/08/2008)

By Jayce

March 30, 2010 Flag

I would like to make some crafts with pop can tabs. What is a strong adhesive to use? I need something that is going to hold up.

Rettta from Mentor, OH

Answers:

Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

This is what I made from pop tabs:
http://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/get-crafty-with-soda-can-tabs.html (02/08/2010)

By Babasfarmlife

RE: Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

October 23, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherSeptember 19, 2012
Angel made from a recycled green pop bottle.
Making a Pop Bottle Angel
Pop bottle fish with colorful streamers for its tail.
Making Pop Bottle Fish
Two pop bottle fish hanging in a window.
Making a Pop Bottle Fish Mobile
Pop Tabs
Selling Pop Tabs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:14:51 AM on 10.0.0.16 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.