Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

Soda or pop can tabs are being reused in a variety of craft projects. This is a guide about crafts using pop can tabs.

October 12, 2012 Flag

If you get a photo frame and there is no hook on the back, using a screw attach the Coke tab to the back of your frame. Then hang your picture!

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

One of the most clever ideas for picture hanging that has been posted in the last 5+ years. Thank you.

September 17, 2010 Flag

An inexpensive way to hang items up that are not in a frame like sea shells, ceramics, or really anything for that matter, is to use a soda or beer tab top. Just attach it either by super glue or E-6000 for heavier items. I have done this for years. I always get asked "How did you get that to hang up like that?"

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

E-6000 is an industrial strength adhesive. You can find it at craft stores and sometimes at Walmart. I just hung a spoon rest in my kitchen with a tab top and E-6000 on it. Very Strong stuff.

November 6, 2004 Flag

You can make items using soda tabs, sell them and give a large percentage to the Ronald McDonald House or other children's charities.

By Patricia Bledsoe

Editor's Note: Anyone have some ideas for what can be made with soda tabs?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I am looking for a pattern to make a purse. I really like yours. Can you post the instructions here by chance? E-mail me at Shoppingsecure at (Use the @ sign for at) sbcglobal.net. THANKS!

bracelet on wrist

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a soda tab bracelet. Soda tabs can be recycled into easy to make jewelry. There are lots of different styles.

Rainbow Bracelet

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a rainbow soda pop tab bracelet. Soda can tabs can be used to make a variety of fun recycled jewelry.

Pop can tab.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

When you need something to use as a hanger for one of your craft items, just hot glue soda pop tabs to the back of your craft. Use one or two tabs depending on the width and weight of your artwork.

embossed pop tab

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Using soda pop tabs for crafting is fun & easy. You will need: Clear embossing ink, Soda pop tabs, Colored embossing powder, Heat embossing tool, A pair of tweezers,

If you make homemade jar candles as I do, you can use pop tabs as a weight for your wicks. If you drink pop they are pretty much free!

Soda Tabs

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about making a soda tab belt. Soda can tabs can be collected and used for this functional recycled craft.

pop tab necklace

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a pop tab necklace. A fun unique craft project can be made using a recycled item.

August 21, 2005 Flag

I wanted to make a soda can tab belt. But then I was thinking, what should I put on them so they won't rust?

Thanks!
~Tip

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to make a soda can tabs belt....require a pattern, model how to do. Thank you...in french would be even better...

faronmark AT hotmail.com

I was wondering how to make a soda pop tab bag/wallet. I've seen them but they are really expensive, and I have alot of tabs. Can you give me instructions of a pattern?

April 30, 2012 Flag

What can I do with pop can tabs? I have around 200 pop can tabs that I saved from soda cans and I don't know what to do with them.

By Marlene F.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I saw on TV news last night a young girl made a Prom dress from Pop tabs. It was well made and looked great. But alas, there were no directions on how she made the Pop tab dress.

If you have a person in your house who makes wood wall plaques these tabs can be attached to the back to hang on the wall.

January 16, 2012 Flag

I have about 200 pop can tabs; what can I make with them?

By Marlene

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I will give you $75 for them.

Are you still looking to buy the pop top tabs? Let me know.

July 24, 2005 Flag

I am wondering if there is anything out there that's cheap to put on pop tabs so they won't rust. I found a way to make a belt and a purse out of them. But I just know they'll rust.

Tip

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

they are aluminum they won't rust!

if you are afraid of them rusting, go to walmart in auto paint dept and buy a spray can of clear rustoleum and spray on it when done making . hang on clothesline to dry. will be dry in about 10 min. can costs 1$ or less on sale. my hubby uses this on car parts and so i know it will work. make sure the cap on can is clesr.

May 26, 2010 Flag

How do you make a purse out of soda tabs?

By Laura from Mesa, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

http://hubpages  -a-pop-tab-purse does exist, but you need to post it right to your line and not go by the link.

First thing you need to know is that you will need "a lot" of pop tabs. The finished purse contained 727 pop tabs. Good luck.

March 30, 2010 Flag

I want to know if anyone has instructions on how to make leis and bolo ties with the pop can tabs?

By Rosemary from Kihei, HI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I collect the tabs to donate to Ronald McDonald House. The aluminum content is very valuable, more than the cans (although I recycle those). Please find some other item to use for crafts and donate the tabs for a really good cause.

June 21, 2013 Flag

I saw a purse made with the tabs pulled to open soda cans, and some other cans. I've been looking for directions to make the purse, or something else, but have not found any. Help, please!

By Bobbie S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2010 Flag

I would like to make some crafts with pop can tabs. What is a strong adhesive to use? I need something that is going to hold up.

Rettta from Mentor, OH

Answers:

Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

This is what I made from pop tabs:
http://babasfarmlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/get-crafty-with-soda-can-tabs.html (02/08/2010)

By Babasfarmlife

RE: Crafts Using Pop Can Tabs

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 23, 2008 Flag

What are some good uses for pop tabs?

Kristi

Answers:

Uses for Pop Tabs

In Ontario, I save all my pop tabs and give them to a friend who then takes them to a place where they are then melted down and used to make wheelchairs. If you are from the States, I don't know if you have a program like that. Check out the local children's hospital. That is where ours end up. (10/16/2004)

By Darlene

Uses for Pop Tabs

Use them for hangers for arts and crafts projects.
Harlean from Arkansas (10/16/2004)

By Harlean from Arkansas

Uses for Pop Tabs

My ex-husband, notice I said EX! He gave me a pop tab from a beer can for a wedding ring! How nice huh! (10/16/2004)

By redrobbin44

Uses for Pop Tabs

I have used pop tabs as a buckle for a ribbon that I attach to a home-made greetings card. You can colour the tab with permanent markers (or if you're very crafty and you have embossing powder, you can use that) then thread the ribbon through and stick on to card. Looks really good! (10/16/2004)

By Elaine

Uses for Pop Tabs

You can use pop tabs in your scrapbook pages. Use it as a "buckle" for ribbon. You can paint or emboss it to match any color scheme.

It could be the buckle on a Santa suit for Christmas cards, decorations or children's artwork.

Place tabs in a circle to create a "flower".

Line them up for railroad tracks for toy trains.

Donate them to McDonalds for their Ronald McDonald houses that help families of sick kids.
(10/16/2004)

By Cheryl from Missouri

Uses for Pop Tabs

I believe all Ronald McDonald Houses collect the Pull Tabs to raise money to support the house expenses. The Loma Linda CA House collects all year long but has a big promotional day and they bring in over 10 million tabs. It is a very easy and free way to support a very worthy cause. People don't ask to get sick. Call your local House or Hospital to see where the nearest House is located.
The tabs are recycled. (10/16/2004)

By Lois

Uses for Pop Tabs

Kristi asked what to do with pull tabs on drink cans, at my job we save them and a lady takes them to school and children get Cancer treatments with them.

Brenda Hilton (10/17/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Uses for Pop Tabs

Ronald McDonald house here takes pop tabs, as does the local domestic violence shelter, both use them to raise funds---check in your area for those and other fund raisers that use them. Some of the dialysis centers use them also--- (10/17/2004)

By Susan

Uses for Pop Tabs

I am designing a handbag made out of can pull tabs for my major work in design and technology for the HSC. I think making belts accessories etc will be a good way to recycle the tabs and will look really good. What do you all think? (03/08/2005)

By maryanne

Uses for Pop Tabs

Actually, as far as charities go, you'd be much better recycling and donating the entire can than the pull tabs - all the charities that accept them do is recycle them and use the funds. It takes around 1000 tabs to make up a pound of aluminum, and only around 27 cans to make the same pound. Do the math, folks. (03/14/2005)

By MoretheFun.

Uses for Pop Tabs

One of the biggest mistakes made with the Tab Recycling Program, is to say "Why not just return the whole can?". to my knowledge, 11 states have Deposit Laws, it is hard to get some people to give up $1.20 for a case of returnables (or $2.40 in the case of Michigan), but to get them to give up 24 tabs, costs nothing, and when you put enough people together, you could be like my 4 member Cub Scout Den, and have collected over 680,000 tabs which we have donated to a variety of charities.

If your in an area that does not collect tabs for your specific charity (I saw 'autism' listed above somewhere), start your own tab drive, once you have your tabs collected, bring them to a recycling center, but dont set your goals too high, it takes 2,816 tabs to generate $1 US at 45 cents a pound. (09/14/2006)

By Cubmaster Pack 526, Iron Mountain, Michigan

RE: Uses for Pop Tabs

Uses for Pop Tabs

I am the guy in the photo three posts down, since that photo was taken, we have added another 1 million tabs, so to the last two people who posted, I would be the guy to contact. coindude1 AT charter.net

I am not in N.E.Wisc, but I am in Michigans U.P., so, same thing. (06/28/2007)

By coindude49801

Uses for Pop Tabs

I have donated tabs for kidney dialysis patients & my place of employment is now collecting them for The Ronald McDonald House. Check a Ronald McDonald House in your state, or call a hospital or V.A. Hospital. (01/29/2008)

By THERESA

Uses for Pop Tabs

To the poster who wanted to know where to send tabs in Orlando Florida, Shenandoah Elementary is the largest collector of tabs in Orlando at 1,076 pounds since 2006. Shenandoah Elementary the 4th largest collector of tabs in the United States.

Liv, most hospitals have a dialsis unit that collects tabs, but thge few that do not support McDonald house charities, just bring them to your closest McDonalds.

2,794 pounds and counting up here in Michigan Upper penninsula (03/16/2008)

By coindude49801

Uses for Pop Tabs

I am a leader of a team that raises money to support Diabetes Research. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 3 and every year since we do what we can to raise money for a cure. If you are interested in sending your pop can tabs to us for Diabetes Research email me at nikkisnagfarm @ gmail.com thanks so much :-) (05/06/2008)

By Nikkiboyd

Uses for Pop Tabs

Elayna, it is no Urban legend, my Cub Scout Pack is the Largest donator of tabs to McDonalds House Charities at 3,400 pounds so far, plus another 395 pounds to other organizations.

Your tabs are considered 'clean aluminum' by 82% of the nations recyclers, and fetch 50 cents to a dollar a pound depending where you live.

You might have to make a few phone calls before dragging them in though, as 18% of recyclers don't take them.

should you be interested, I have built a web site devoted to tabs.

http://cubmaster526.angelfire.com/ (09/09/2008)

By coindude1

Uses for Pop Tabs

My fiance has an aunt who has cancer in her brain. Not only her aunt, but it has genetic where about in her family. She has not lost only one or two family members to some form of cancer, but six members. They suffered from cancer of the colon, throat, brain, and lungs. We have tried everything to help fund her aunt's kemo. Recently we found out that pop tabs donated to her cancer center can help pay for her treatment. If you are interested in sending your tabs to our cause contact me at dewdrocks32 AT yahoo.com (09/16/2008)

By Stephanie B

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
little girl stringing beads while sitting on the couch
Jewelry Making Craft Ideas for Children
Crafts Recycled Crafts OtherSeptember 19, 2012
Soda Tabs
Making a Soda Tab Belt
pop tab necklace
Making a Pop Tab Necklace
bracelet on wrist
Making a Soda Tab Bracelet
Rainbow Bracelet
Making a Rainbow Soda Pop Tab Bracelet
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 2:36:24 PM on 10.0.0.111 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.