Crafts Using Tree Branches

Category Woodworking
Whether fresh or dry, branches and twigs are a thrifty supply to create a variety of things. This guide is about crafts using tree branches.

Limb pen holder.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about making useful items from tree limbs. Tree limbs can be reused in craft and garden projects.

Photo of a money tree.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a money tree. A money tree is a nice gift for certain occasions.

Gold Painted Branch As Home Decor

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about painting a branch for home decor. You will be pleasantly surprised how nice a painted branch can look when used as part of your home decor.

Halloween Bat Branches

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Halloween bat branches. For an inexpensive holiday display, decorate tree branches with glittery bats and cobwebs.

This is a branch that is cut and then cracked in two. Where it is cracked in two, I put duct tape on the top. It will hold clothes. They would really be pretty if they were all covered in duct tape rather than just the top.

I have a project this month of recycling all that is left over after getting rid of the extra maple branches on our maple tree. It is too close to the electric line.

We have made a chime out of one of them, and now we have made a clothespin out of some of the smaller ones.

We stuck them in the rooster gate to keep him from jumping out over the fence at mother. :)

That is really unique!

witch inside

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a garden witch from twigs. This cute Halloween witch is made from twigs you can collect from your garden or neighborhood.

A willow wreath in process.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a willow wreath. If you or a neighbor have a willow tree you can make your own willow branch wreath.

"Flower" Twig Vase

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a twig flower vase. Using items you have collected from nature can make this twig vase filled with pine cone flowers.

Twig Art Chair

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Using very dry branches, wire, glue and coco fiber mat, I made these two chairs for decorative effect. On the wall behind the one chair with orange flowers on it is a twig trellis on the wall. Twig art is fun as long as you remember to have dry wood to work with.

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.

Pretty soon it will be time to clean up what Old Man Winter left behind. I have raspberries and, come every spring, winter has left me broken branches, I'm sure the birds also help in the process.

Can I use fallen pine tree limbs for crafts? I wanted to create a Christmas tree craft and want to know if I will have to contend with sap drip or allergen issues inside the home. I have abundant SW Florida pines on my property.

Thank you, these are dry limbs and I feel confident now that I have had some great replies. I plan on making an alternate Christmas tree craft with large cut

limbs similar to the one below http://img.thrf  tmas20tree_m.jpg

place on parchment or foil covered cookie sheet or large pan, bake in 200 degree oven for 30 minutes. This is supposed to remove the sap plus kill and critters.

Thank you for the tip :)

I recently cut off a large branch from my tree. The branch is about 3/4ft high. I would like to use it as a decoration for Christmas. What is the best way to support it? A board or pot? Do you have any suggestions please?

We use a large branch of a healthy tree (eucalyptus, fir, pine etc.) as a "holiday tree". We hang the branch on a wall slanting downward as it would be if still on the tree. We love birds so have many types of bird baubles-little nests with babies, small realistic birds, crochet and cross stitch birds, my naturalist husband's photos, etc. Add clear lights only.

This is mainly for our grandkids and guests when visiting.

We celebrate the day mainly as a winter's festival break from the cold and dark season.

What can I craft from tree branch slices?

By Shirley from LA

Here is a great site for ideas! Good Luck!

http://crafting  -craft-projects/

Depends how big around the slices are what u can make with them. If they are small , drill holes for peg legs and make doll furniture like stools, chairs, tables. If larger, make human sized footstools or side tables using the same idea but studier legs. If they are thickish, glue a pretty ceramic tile to one for a trivet.

Note: you may want to router or have someone do it for you around the center in square the size of the tile so it will be recessed in the slice. Seal wood with some sealer before putting in the tile for a neater look.

I have some tree branches I cut down and want to know what I can make with them. I have Cub Scouts and want to make some boy related stuff.

By Tessa from Las Vegas, NV

How about picture frames if the branches are small enough?

If your branches are 1 inch diameter or larger, you can cut rounds or ovals for tie-slides. Cut the rounds/ovals, give the boys sand paper or sanding blocks to sand them smooth. Decorate with whatever your theme of the month is, and hot glue them to 3/4 inch pvc pipe sections.

We had to get half of our 60 foot hackberry tree cut off and now we have mounds of branches and "logs". Any ideas on what to use these logs for besides saving it for firewood to sell {we don't have a fireplace}. We have lots and lots of branches also!

Gretta from Wayne, OK

Uses for Branches and Logs

Answers:

Uses for Branches and Logs

You could chip up the smaller branches and leaves with a wood chipper and use it for mulch on your plants or for a wood chip garden path.

You could wait & let the leaves die from the branches and use them as mulch around your plants or in your compost.

Offer the wood for sale or freecyle it. Or make an offer for someone to come clean up the tree branches in exchange for ? what have you.

I'm not familiar with hackberry wood, but perhaps you could whittle on some of the branches of appropriate size and length and make walking sticks to sell...maybe at a crafts fair. Or offer them up to someone else who could whittle them into walking sticks. (06/24/2008)

By bluealt

Uses for Branches and Logs

The branches may make good bean poles or tomato stakes. Strip the leaves and smaller branches off of a branch about 5-6 feet long, and sell them as garden stakes or bean poles. Another thing you might do with the logs is to make simple coat racks. Take a 3 inch diameter (mostly straight)log and cut it into about a 3 foot length with a diagonal cut on each end (it is more decorative this way). Leave the bark on. Drill 3-4 evenly spaced holes on one side, pound pegs (mine were made from peeled 3 inch sections of a smaller branch, about 1/2 inch in diameter) or glue pieces of dowels in the holes. These will be your pegs. Now fasten some type of a hanger on the back, and you have a "primitive" coat rack. It looks really cute, and you could have a wonderful gift to give someone, for little to no cost...just your time. (06/24/2008)

By teachpad

Uses for Branches and Logs

Thanks for the input! I might try the coat hanger idea, sounds neat! We cannot locate a wood chipper to borrow. We are still cutting it down to 4-6 ft lengths and piling it for now away form any buildings. (06/24/2008)

Uses for Branches and Logs

With a good chainsaw, you could make garden benches out of them. Just cut 2 stumps and a long piece could be cut on each side to create a bench. Or you could use in large cut pieces as a landscaping bed frame. There are lots of uses. Hope this helps. d (06/24/2008)

By Denise W

Uses for Branches and Logs

Save branches for natural plant supports. Any plant that wants to flop, let it grow up into some branches that you stuck in to the dirt. Much nicer than tomato cages. (06/25/2008)

By kimhis

Uses for Branches and Logs

I'm not familiar with Hackleberry trees either, but if it is a fruit tree or the wood has a nice fragrance, there is a huge market for wood chips in the Barbecue World for smoking meat with. You might even be able to sell it on EBay if it is a desirable wood for smoking. Good luck (07/10/2008)

By Sue