Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Crafts Using Tree Branches

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Crafts Using Tree Branches

Whether fresh or dry, branches and twigs are a thrifty supply to create a variety of things. This guide is about crafts using tree branches.

Solutions: Crafts Using Tree Branches

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Willow Wreath

A willow wreath in process.You don't have to spend a fortune at the craft stores to make a great natural wreath. If you have a willow tree that loves to drop its long branches all over the yard (the bane of my husband's existence :), then you have about all you need. If you don't have one, ask around, maybe a friend does. Or investigate other trees, vines, shrubs that might also be suitable.

If you've ever made a grapevine wreath, the process is the same for willow branches. Make your initial circle to the size desired by wrapping the pliable branch around itself. Slightly green branches work best. Then begin wrapping additional branches tucking the ends in between until you get the wreath thickness you desire.

If you have floral wire or any thin gauge wire (twisty ties with the paper coating peeled off), you can secure the finished wreath in a couple places. Hide the wire with whatever you decorate your wreath.

My photo shows a willow wreath in progress. Notice the ends that need to be trimmed or tucked in. But you may like to leave some for a more natural look. There's no right or wrong with this craft.

By gloria from western NY

Tip: Craft: Welcome Sign Made From Branches

I am big on nature. I took one long branch, a shorter branch, scrap wood, and made a welcome sign. I screwed the branches together. I put a screw(or nail) in top of the sign, wrapped copper wire around top screws.

I tied the copper wire around shorter branch to the length I wanted and there is my sign. The scrap wood is the back of a wooden chair, I just used markers to write "Welcome Friends" and put 3-4 coats of poly on it.

Source: Tired of everyone asking "What are you doing with those branches?"

By Sherry from Onset, MA

Craft Project: Useful Items From Tree Limbs

I've had a lot of oleander bushes in the yard for years. I wanted to re-landscape some parts so the bushes had to go. Other trees/branches can be used as well. The limbs of this bush are very soft and can be milled into useful items to use around the house and studio. I didn't want to throw them all away, so I saved several pieces to use in later projects. Limb pen holder.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

• saws to trim bushes
  • table/band saw
  • drill press
  • stains and or paints as needed

Instructions:

1. Select the largest branches to be used as pencil and salt and pepper holders.
  2. I have let them dry for a few months and would recommend that step to prevent severe cracking.
  3. Tree limbs.

4. When dry, the branch or limb can be trimmed with power tools. I used a table saw and band saw to flatten one or two sides of the limb, and to then cut it off to the size I wanted.
  5. Cutting limbs.

6. Drill holes in one of the flat sides with a forstner bit, and or round drill bits of the size desired.
  7. Drilling holes in limbs.

8. Articles made can be stained, if wanted, and painted. It's up to you.
  9. Finished limbs.

10. Place in use as salt and pepper shaker holder and pen and pencil holder.

Tip: Clothespin out of Maple Tree Branch

This is a branch that is cut and then cracked in two. Where it is cracked in two, I put duct tape on the top. It will hold clothes. They would really be pretty if they were all covered in duct tape rather than just the top.

I have a project this month of recycling all that is left over after getting rid of the extra maple branches on our maple tree. It is too close to the electric line.

We have made a chime out of one of them, and now we have made a clothespin out of some of the smaller ones.

We stuck them in the rooster gate to keep him from jumping out over the fence at mother. :)

By

Maple Wood Branch Windchimes with Beads

We made a circle of beads with wire and hooked them together.

Then we took maple branches from our tree that needed to be pruned and used a little screwdriver in the top of the branch to make a hole. We then screwed a little screw into the hole, and tied it with yarn on the ring. I put four around the ring of beads.

I put a final piece of yarn at the top and attached it to another piece of maple branch with green yarn. Then I hung that piece of yarn off our clothesline.

We like the way it looks like this.

Maple Wood Branch Windchimes with BeadsMaple Wood Branch Windchimes with BeadsMaple Wood Branch Windchimes with BeadsMaple Wood Branch Windchimes with Beads

By

Craft Project: Halloween Bat Branches

Make spooky branches covered in cob webs and glittery bats to decorate for Halloween this year!

Approximate Time: 45 minutes

• branches
  • black spray paint
  • black card stock
  • black and orange glitter
  • Mod Podge
  • hole punch
  • scissors
  • ribbon or twine
  • cob webs
  • bat template
Bat template with bottles of Mod Podge and glitter.

Instructions:

1. First find some old branches that look spooky and spray paint them black. Selection of branches for bats.

2. Next you will print out the bat template. Bat Template

3. Trace the bat onto the black card stock six times, and cut out. Bat template on black paper.

4. Punch a hole in each bat at the top. Punching holes in bats.

5. Brush the bats with Mod Podge and cover in glitter on both sides. Applying Mod Podge to bat wing. Applying glitter to bat cut out.

6. Once the bats are dry, hang them with twine or ribbon from the branches that are placed in a large vase. Spooky Bat Decoration closeup

7. Then spread cob webs in the branches.

By Domestic Charm from AZ Spooky Bat Decoration 2

Craft Project: "Flower" Twig Vase

I make flowers from acorns and twigs found in my yard.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• glue gun
  • pine cones
  • small plastic jar
  • wild moss
  • mini acorns
  • about 14 small branches
  • wild ivy
  • rubber band or ribbon
  • about 4 long branches

Instructions:

Collect about 14 small branches. Cut to same length or longer than jar. Collect about 3 pine cones, and some ivy. Strip ivy of all leaves, this will be wrapped around jar of branches.

Trim branches to same length, lay across side by side. Intertwine ribbon then tie ends around jar. Glue each branch.

With the last 4 branches, make stems. Cut across tips. Measure the length desired then cut floral tips off pine cones, these will be the petals. Glue pine cone tips then with mini acorns, cut in half and placed in the middle of the petals. Arrange flowers in vase. Use twine to wrap around jars. I use wild moss for filling.

By Belen from Jacksoville, FL

Craft: Money Tree

This is a money tree created for a 50th Surprise Birthday Party. It is constructed of a sassafras branch (dogwood works good as well), curling ribbon in various lengths tied onto the branches. I used a vase as tall as the branch and added sand and rocks for stability. Money, small gag gifts, notes, candy, cards, even jewelry can be added. I plan on affixing 10 $5 bills to start off the decor and have guests add to it.

By Kym from Madison, AL

Tip: Branch Star Decoration

Fabric wrapped star on wall.Cut a branch that is dead from one of your trees and cut into 5 of the same length to make a star.

Approximate Time: 40 min.

• sticks from branch
  • string
  • fabric strips
  • glue

Instructions:

Gather a dead branch. Cut 5 sticks for your star. Make a star shape by tying string at intersections. Glue each point and intersection. Cover the whole star by wrapping strips of fabric around each branch. Glue the beginning and end of strips of fabric.

By Louella from Billings, MT

Tip: Uses for Branches and Logs

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.(3 - 6 feet long and about 3/4 inch thick).

Being a crafter, I couldn't resist them! I have several ideas for them: I'm weaving them through my chain-link gate in a vertical pattern. It not only adds privacy, it looks great! Another idea I had was to make a trellis by tying brown nylon rope around the thicker branches to form "squares".

I've also decided to make twig-covered vases with them. I will start with clear straight-sided drinking glasses from the dollar store then glue the twigs to the outside of the glass with clear E-6000 glue then wrap raffia around the top and bottom then tie a knot or bow. The neighbor who gave them to me says he uses the apple-wood branches for barbecuing with.

I've also thought these green branches would make wonderful doll furniture and if they are supple enough, maybe a wreath? They need to be stored in the shade or they will dry out. It's also a good idea to hose them down once in a while to keep them supple if you want to bend them. Any other ideas?

By Cyinda

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Crafts Using Tree Branches.

Question: Kid Crafts Made from Tree Branches

I have some tree branches I cut down and want to know what I can make with them. I have Cub Scouts and want to make some boy related stuff.

By Tessa from Las Vegas, NV

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M.01/13/2011

If your branches are 1 inch diameter or larger, you can cut rounds or ovals for tie-slides. Cut the rounds/ovals, give the boys sand paper or sanding blocks to sand them smooth. Decorate with whatever your theme of the month is, and hot glue them to 3/4 inch pvc pipe sections.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Making a Money Tree

I have a friend who is to retire soon and we are planning her a party and would like any ideals as how to make a money tree for her. This should not a very large tree since we will have to carry it to the party. Any ideals would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Janice

Plaster of Paris Base

I have made money trees by puting a branch from the yard into plaster of paris in a pot (flower pot) and letting it set till the branch is firmly upright. I spray painted both the branch and pot (color of choice). I always get new bills as they are crisp and hold a fold well/ I fan fold them lengthwise with very narrow folds, wrap the center with fine craft wire and attach to the branch. pull the ends of the bills open to form the fan shape, add any ribbons or other embelishments you want, some shredded mylar around the base, enjoy. Money can also be folded and made into roses for a different presentation. (08/15/2005)

By Donna

Large Branches

You don't want a "tree" - you need to use a large branch w/many little branches that has been turned on its end into a vase or pot. Choose a branch that when placed on its cut end has a tree shape to it. Some folks use dogwood branches or similar type tree that has multiple branches. You could spray paint it gold to give it a special "rich" effect!! (08/15/2005)

By Tripleb

Directions

You take an approximately 24 inch branch containing many little branches, rinse off any bugs or dirt lingering on the branch. When dry, it can be spray painted or you can dust glitter over glued branches. Stand it up, inverted, in an attractive pot or vase containing colored rocks. Tape short pieces of ribbons onto the branches. Twist the bill once in the center to form a ribbon and tape onto the end of the ribbon. (06/30/2006)

By Maryd

Archive: Uses for Branches and Logs

We had to get half of our 60 foot hackberry tree cut off and now we have mounds of branches and "logs". Any ideas on what to use these logs for besides saving it for firewood to sell {we don't have a fireplace}. We have lots and lots of branches also!

Gretta from Wayne, OK

Uses for Branches and Logs

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

You could chip up the smaller branches and leaves with a wood chipper and use it for mulch on your plants or for a wood chip garden path.

You could wait & let the leaves die from the branches and use them as mulch around your plants or in your compost.

Offer the wood for sale or freecyle it. Or make an offer for someone to come clean up the tree branches in exchange for ? what have you.

I'm not familiar with hackberry wood, but perhaps you could whittle on some of the branches of appropriate size and length and make walking sticks to sell...maybe at a crafts fair. Or offer them up to someone else who could whittle them into walking sticks. (06/24/2008)

By bluealt

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

The branches may make good bean poles or tomato stakes. Strip the leaves and smaller branches off of a branch about 5-6 feet long, and sell them as garden stakes or bean poles. Another thing you might do with the logs is to make simple coat racks. Take a 3 inch diameter (mostly straight)log and cut it into about a 3 foot length with a diagonal cut on each end (it is more decorative this way). Leave the bark on. Drill 3-4 evenly spaced holes on one side, pound pegs (mine were made from peeled 3 inch sections of a smaller branch, about 1/2 inch in diameter) or glue pieces of dowels in the holes. These will be your pegs. Now fasten some type of a hanger on the back, and you have a "primitive" coat rack. It looks really cute, and you could have a wonderful gift to give someone, for little to no cost...just your time. (06/24/2008)

By teachpad

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

Thanks for the input! I might try the coat hanger idea, sounds neat! We cannot locate a wood chipper to borrow. We are still cutting it down to 4-6 ft lengths and piling it for now away form any buildings. (06/24/2008)

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

With a good chainsaw, you could make garden benches out of them. Just cut 2 stumps and a long piece could be cut on each side to create a bench. Or you could use in large cut pieces as a landscaping bed frame. There are lots of uses. Hope this helps. d (06/24/2008)

By Denise W

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

Save branches for natural plant supports. Any plant that wants to flop, let it grow up into some branches that you stuck in to the dirt. Much nicer than tomato cages. (06/25/2008)

By kimhis

RE: Uses for Branches and Logs

I'm not familiar with Hackleberry trees either, but if it is a fruit tree or the wood has a nice fragrance, there is a huge market for wood chips in the Barbecue World for smoking meat with. You might even be able to sell it on EBay if it is a desirable wood for smoking. Good luck (07/10/2008)

By Sue

Archive: Making a Money Tree

We want to give my 85 year old mother money for her birthday, we want to make a money tree. Any suggestions on how to craft one? I know there are certain ways the dollars need to be folded, etc. Or money roses would be fine if anyone knows how to make them.

Madeline from York, PA

RE: Making a Money Tree

Why not make the tree out of the branches and then get those tiny cute clothespins you can get a craft stores and clip the bills on? Just a suggestion. (02/20/2007)

By michawnpita

RE: Making a Money Tree

I think fan folding the bills is cute and easy. I did that for my husband one Valentine's Day and tied little red bows at the bottom of the fan. It also fills out the tree. (02/21/2007)

By Di

RE: Making a Money Tree

I am making one for our student helper who is graduating. I am getting a branch, any size that is good for you will do. I am spray painting it silver, using blue ribbon with beads tied on the end to fill in. I am using white ribbon with small clips for the money, spray painting a 16 inch clay pot and painting the school logo on it. Also, it is fun to paint in the college colors that the student is going to. (05/05/2007)

By Laurie Stahl

RE: Making a Money Tree

Thanks for the ideas. Here's mine: I purchased from the 99 cents store a small lazy Susan (black) for the foundation of the tree (the tree can spin for the guests to add money or just to admire), 4 coiled plastic center pieces that are made up of green leaves meant for placing candles in the middle, and 2 more coils made to look like they have pears and peaches on them. I am going to strategically place the coils around a Styrofoam cone shaped piece, after I have painted the Styrofoam green. Then place little branches with clothes pins around the tree to hold the gold coins and paper two dollar bills for my granddaughter's birthday. (10/01/2008)

By MS. "K" ldyer

Archive: Making a Money Tree

I need to make a money tree for our Pastor, for Pastor Appreciation Day. Can someone help me out?