Browsing: Crafts Using Tree Branches

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Crafts Using Tree Branches

Whether fresh or dry, branches and twigs are a thrifty supply to create a variety of things. This guide is about crafts using tree branches.

Crafts Using Tree Branches
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 19, 2015 Flag

Last summer, I found a nice branch that I spray painted gold and that I use as a trellis for my live ivy. Usually it sits in a decorative basket in the hallway. This past Christmas, I hung some small red bells from the branches, wrapped the basket with a seasonal tea towel and placed it on a side table in the family room. It garnered compliments from family and friends but sorry to say, I didn't think about taking a picture of it. Anyway, a little imagination at any time costs next to nothing and always gives back a great feeling.

Total Time: 5 minutes to paint, 1/2 hour to dryGold Painted Branch As Home Decor

April 13, 2010 Flag

I've had a lot of oleander bushes in the yard for years. I wanted to re-landscape some parts so the bushes had to go. Other trees/branches can be used as well. The limbs of this bush are very soft and can be milled into useful items to use around the house and studio. I didn't want to throw them all away, so I saved several pieces to use in later projects. Limb pen holder.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

Instructions:

1. Select the largest branches to be used as pencil and salt and pepper holders.
  2. I have let them dry for a few months and would recommend that step to prevent severe cracking.
  3. Tree limbs.

4. When dry, the branch or limb can be trimmed with power tools. I used a table saw and band saw to flatten one or two sides of the limb, and to then cut it off to the size I wanted.
  5. Cutting limbs.

6. Drill holes in one of the flat sides with a forstner bit, and or round drill bits of the size desired.
  7. Drilling holes in limbs.

8. Articles made can be stained, if wanted, and painted. It's up to you.
  9. Finished limbs.

10. Place in use as salt and pepper shaker holder and pen and pencil holder.

February 6, 2012 Flag

A willow wreath in process.You don't have to spend a fortune at the craft stores to make a great natural wreath. If you have a willow tree that loves to drop its long branches all over the yard (the bane of my husband's existence :), then you have about all you need. If you don't have one, ask around, maybe a friend does. Or investigate other trees, vines, shrubs that might also be suitable.

If you've ever made a grapevine wreath, the process is the same for willow branches. Make your initial circle to the size desired by wrapping the pliable branch around itself. Slightly green branches work best. Then begin wrapping additional branches tucking the ends in between until you get the wreath thickness you desire.

If you have floral wire or any thin gauge wire (twisty ties with the paper coating peeled off), you can secure the finished wreath in a couple places. Hide the wire with whatever you decorate your wreath.

My photo shows a willow wreath in progress. Notice the ends that need to be trimmed or tucked in. But you may like to leave some for a more natural look. There's no right or wrong with this craft.

By gloria from western NY

August 23, 2010 Flag

I make flowers from acorns and twigs found in my yard.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

Instructions:

Collect about 14 small branches. Cut to same length or longer than jar. Collect about 3 pine cones, and some ivy. Strip ivy of all leaves, this will be wrapped around jar of branches.

Trim branches to same length, lay across side by side. Intertwine ribbon then tie ends around jar. Glue each branch.

With the last 4 branches, make stems. Cut across tips. Measure the length desired then cut floral tips off pine cones, these will be the petals. Glue pine cone tips then with mini acorns, cut in half and placed in the middle of the petals. Arrange flowers in vase. Use twine to wrap around jars. I use wild moss for filling.

By Belen from Jacksoville, FL

October 14, 2015 Flag

I recently cut off a large branch from my tree. The branch is about 3/4ft high. I would like to use it as a decoration for Christmas. What is the best way to support it? A board or pot? Do you have any suggestions please?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We use a large branch of a healthy tree (eucalyptus, fir, pine etc.) as a "holiday tree". We hang the branch on a wall slanting downward as it would be if still on the tree. We love birds so have many types of bird baubles-little nests with babies, small realistic birds, crochet and cross stitch birds, my naturalist husband's photos, etc. Add clear lights only.

This is mainly for our grandkids and guests when visiting.

We celebrate the day mainly as a winter's festival break from the cold and dark season.

June 5, 2013 Flag

This is a branch that is cut and then cracked in two. Where it is cracked in two, I put duct tape on the top. It will hold clothes. They would really be pretty if they were all covered in duct tape rather than just the top.

June 24, 2009 Flag

I am big on nature. I took one long branch, a shorter branch, scrap wood, and made a welcome sign. I screwed the branches together. I put a screw(or nail) in top of the sign, wrapped copper wire around top screws.

sign hanging from branch post

March 30, 2010 Flag

This is a money tree created for a 50th surprise birthday party. It is constructed of a sassafras branch (dogwood works good as well), curling ribbon in various lengths tied onto the branches. I used a vase as tall as the branch and added sand and rocks for stability.

branch with money attached for birthday gift

June 3, 2013 Flag

We made a circle of beads with wire and hooked them together.

Maple Wood Branch Windchimes with Beads

October 17, 2011 Flag

Make spooky branches covered in cob webs and glittery bats to decorate for Halloween this year!

Spooky Bat Decoration 2

January 8, 2011 Flag

I have some tree branches I cut down and want to know what I can make with them. I have Cub Scouts and want to make some boy related stuff.

By Tessa from Las Vegas, NV

How about picture frames if the branches are small enough?

If your branches are 1 inch diameter or larger, you can cut rounds or ovals for tie-slides. Cut the rounds/ovals, give the boys sand paper or sanding blocks to sand them smooth. Decorate with whatever your theme of the month is, and hot glue them to 3/4 inch pvc pipe sections.

April 15, 2009 Flag

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.

June 8, 2012 Flag

Cut a branch that is dead from one of your trees and cut into 5 of the same length to make a star.

Fabric wrapped star on wall.

March 30, 2010 Flag

How do you make a money tree?

Load More
Crafts WoodworkingJune 10, 2012
Pine Branch on White Background
Decorating With Branches
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Eucalyptus Branch
Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 7:33:17 PM on 10.0.1.130 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.