Crafts Using Tree Branches

Whether fresh or dry, branches and twigs are a thrifty supply to create a variety of things. This guide is about crafts using tree branches.

Crafts Using Tree Branches
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 19, 2015 Flag

Last summer, I found a nice branch that I spray painted gold and that I use as a trellis for my live ivy. Usually it sits in a decorative basket in the hallway. This past Christmas, I hung some small red bells from the branches, wrapped the basket with a seasonal tea towel and placed it on a side table in the family room. It garnered compliments from family and friends but sorry to say, I didn't think about taking a picture of it. Anyway, a little imagination at any time costs next to nothing and always gives back a great feeling.

Approximate Time: 5 minutes to paint, 1/2 hour to dryGold Painted Branch As Home Decor

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 13, 2010 Flag

I've had a lot of oleander bushes in the yard for years. I wanted to re-landscape some parts so the bushes had to go. Other trees/branches can be used as well. The limbs of this bush are very soft and can be milled into useful items to use around the house and studio. I didn't want to throw them all away, so I saved several pieces to use in later projects. Limb pen holder.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours

• saws to trim bushes
    • table/band saw
    • drill press
    • stains and or paints as needed

Instructions:

1. Select the largest branches to be used as pencil and salt and pepper holders.
    2. I have let them dry for a few months and would recommend that step to prevent severe cracking.
    3. Tree limbs.

4. When dry, the branch or limb can be trimmed with power tools. I used a table saw and band saw to flatten one or two sides of the limb, and to then cut it off to the size I wanted.
    5. Cutting limbs.

6. Drill holes in one of the flat sides with a forstner bit, and or round drill bits of the size desired.
    7. Drilling holes in limbs.

8. Articles made can be stained, if wanted, and painted. It's up to you.
    9. Finished limbs.

10. Place in use as salt and pepper shaker holder and pen and pencil holder.
    11. Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 6, 2012 Flag

A willow wreath in process.You don't have to spend a fortune at the craft stores to make a great natural wreath. If you have a willow tree that loves to drop its long branches all over the yard (the bane of my husband's existence :), then you have about all you need. If you don't have one, ask around, maybe a friend does. Or investigate other trees, vines, shrubs that might also be suitable.

If you've ever made a grapevine wreath, the process is the same for willow branches. Make your initial circle to the size desired by wrapping the pliable branch around itself. Slightly green branches work best. Then begin wrapping additional branches tucking the ends in between until you get the wreath thickness you desire.

If you have floral wire or any thin gauge wire (twisty ties with the paper coating peeled off), you can secure the finished wreath in a couple places. Hide the wire with whatever you decorate your wreath.

My photo shows a willow wreath in progress. Notice the ends that need to be trimmed or tucked in. But you may like to leave some for a more natural look. There's no right or wrong with this craft.

By gloria from western NY

August 23, 2010 Flag

I make flowers from acorns and twigs found in my yard.

Approximate Time: 1 hour

• glue gun
    • pine cones
    • small plastic jar
    • wild moss
    • mini acorns
    • about 14 small branches
    • wild ivy
    • rubber band or ribbon
    • about 4 long branches

Instructions:

Collect about 14 small branches. Cut to same length or longer than jar. Collect about 3 pine cones, and some ivy. Strip ivy of all leaves, this will be wrapped around jar of branches.

Trim branches to same length, lay across side by side. Intertwine ribbon then tie ends around jar. Glue each branch.

With the last 4 branches, make stems. Cut across tips. Measure the length desired then cut floral tips off pine cones, these will be the petals. Glue pine cone tips then with mini acorns, cut in half and placed in the middle of the petals. Arrange flowers in vase. Use twine to wrap around jars. I use wild moss for filling.

By Belen from Jacksoville, FL

October 14, 2015 Flag

I recently cut off a large branch from my tree. The branch is about 3/4ft high. I would like to use it as a decoration for Christmas. What is the best way to support it? A board or pot? Do you have any suggestions please?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We use a large branch of a healthy tree (eucalyptus, fir, pine etc.) as a "holiday tree". We hang the branch on a wall slanting downward as it would be if still on the tree. We love birds so have many types of bird baubles-little nests with babies, small realistic birds, crochet and cross stitch birds, my naturalist husband's photos, etc. Add clear lights only.

This is mainly for our grandkids and guests when visiting.

We celebrate the day mainly as a winter's festival break from the cold and dark season.

June 5, 2013 Flag

This is a branch that is cut and then cracked in two. Where it is cracked in two, I put duct tape on the top. It will hold clothes. They would really be pretty if they were all covered in duct tape rather than just the top.

I have a project this month of recycling all that is left over after getting rid of the extra maple branches on our maple tree. It is too close to the electric line.

We have made a chime out of one of them, and now we have made a clothespin out of some of the smaller ones.

We stuck them in the rooster gate to keep him from jumping out over the fence at mother. :)

June 24, 2009 Flag

I am big on nature. I took one long branch, a shorter branch, scrap wood, and made a welcome sign. I screwed the branches together. I put a screw(or nail) in top of the sign, wrapped copper wire around top screws.

sign hanging from branch post

March 30, 2010 Flag

This is a money tree created for a 50th surprise birthday party. It is constructed of a sassafras branch (dogwood works good as well), curling ribbon in various lengths tied onto the branches. I used a vase as tall as the branch and added sand and rocks for stability.

branch with money attached for birthday gift

October 17, 2011 Flag

Make spooky branches covered in cob webs and glittery bats to decorate for Halloween this year!

Spooky Bat Decoration 2

June 3, 2013 Flag

We made a circle of beads with wire and hooked them together.

Maple Wood Branch Windchimes with Beads

January 8, 2011 Flag

I have some tree branches I cut down and want to know what I can make with them. I have Cub Scouts and want to make some boy related stuff.

By Tessa from Las Vegas, NV

How about picture frames if the branches are small enough?

If your branches are 1 inch diameter or larger, you can cut rounds or ovals for tie-slides. Cut the rounds/ovals, give the boys sand paper or sanding blocks to sand them smooth. Decorate with whatever your theme of the month is, and hot glue them to 3/4 inch pvc pipe sections.

April 15, 2009 Flag

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.

June 8, 2012 Flag

Cut a branch that is dead from one of your trees and cut into 5 of the same length to make a star.

Fabric wrapped star on wall.

March 30, 2010 Flag

How do you make a money tree?

By Archer

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

Get a rubber tree or a small christmas tree that don't cost to much, you can even go to a second hand store and see if they have some kind of tree or plant. Fold your dollars back and forth like a fan and tie it in the middle with thin wired ribbon or just ribbon. Be sure not to tie it tightly so that it will be easy to remove the money. At Christmas I like to get a 1 foot Christmas tree and buy some scratch of lottery ticket which i tape to ribbon and tie it to the tree and to make it more fuller i get very small bows and place them in between. Great gifts! They love them every time. Hope this helps you out. Good Luck! (09/17/2009)

By manges4

September 15, 2009 Flag

I have made several money trees for our ministers and missionaries. Just get a branch off a tree the size you can use. For a base, my son got a six inch piece of firewood nice and round, drilled a hole in the center of it for a base, and put the branch in. Or you can fill a three pound can with sand and stick the branches in it. We always use one dollar bills and taped on the limbs. I usually used 100 bills, and it is easy to make and a lot of fun.

Source: I have made these for many years.

By Helen P. from Greensburg, IN

August 11, 2009 Flag

I need to make a money tree for our Pastor, for Pastor Appreciation Day. Can someone help me out?

By Terry J from Goshen, OH

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

I like this idea of making a money tree, because it uses a small, live indoor tree, so besides the money, your pastor would end up with a nice house plant.

(06/29/2009)

By Fortunately

Making a Money Tree

From ehow.com

Step 1

Find a small branch between 18 and 36 inches tall depending on how big you want your money tree. The branch should have many smaller limbs to hang dollar bills.

Step 2

Purchase a metal or ceramic pot. If the pot has a hole at the bottom cover the hole with tape. Mix a thick plaster mixture. Put plaster in the pot with branch sticking straight out. Let the pot sit over night.

Step 3

Conceal the hardened plaster with silk moss, grass or leaves. Use a hot glue gun to glue the moss to the plaster. Cover all the plaster around the branch so your pot looks like it has a tree growing in the green foliage.

Step 4

Begin adding money to the tree. Use any denomination of bills to attach to the tree. Attach the bills to the tree using paper clips or mini clothes pins. You can fold the bills decoratively or just let them hang. It's up to you.

Step 5

Put small items on the tree branches that go with your gift theme. Use holiday decorations, religious charms, small toys or anything you want. Add little notes to the tree on decorative cards. They can be advice, poems, songs or IOU's. Anything you can think of that will enhance the tree.

Tips and Warnings

• Spray paint the branch any color you want before plastering into pot.
        • Fold bills using Origami techniques you find online.

Overall Things You'll Need

• Spray Paint
        • Paper Clips or Mini Clothes Pins
        • Hot Glue Gun
        • Ornaments, Charms or Small Trinkets
        • Money
        • Plaster Mixture
        • Metal or Ceramic Pot
        • Branch 18 to 36 Inches Long
        • Fake Moss, Grass or Leaves
        (06/30/2009)

By dbleoangel

June 29, 2009 Flag

We want to give my 85 year old mother money for her birthday, we want to make a money tree. Any suggestions on how to craft one? I know there are certain ways the dollars need to be folded, etc. Or money roses would be fine if anyone knows how to make them.

Madeline from York, PA

Answers:

Making a Money Tree

Why not make the tree out of the branches and then get those tiny cute clothespins you can get a craft stores and clip the bills on? Just a suggestion. (02/20/2007)

By michawnpita

Making a Money Tree

I think fan folding the bills is cute and easy. I did that for my husband one Valentine's Day and tied little red bows at the bottom of the fan. It also fills out the tree. (02/21/2007)

By Di

Making a Money Tree

I am making one for our student helper who is graduating. I am getting a branch, any size that is good for you will do. I am spray painting it silver, using blue ribbon with beads tied on the end to fill in. I am using white ribbon with small clips for the money, spray painting a 16 inch clay pot and painting the school logo on it. Also, it is fun to paint in the college colors that the student is going to.
        (05/05/2007)

By Laurie Stahl

Making a Money Tree

Thanks for the ideas. Here's mine: I purchased from the 99 cents store a small lazy Susan (black) for the foundation of the tree (the tree can spin for the guests to add money or just to admire), 4 coiled plastic center pieces that are made up of green leaves meant for placing candles in the middle, and 2 more coils made to look like they have pears and peaches on them.

I am going to strategically place the coils around a Styrofoam cone shaped piece, after I have painted the Styrofoam green. Then place little branches with clothes pins around the tree to hold the gold coins and paper two dollar bills for my granddaughter's birthday. (10/01/2008)

By MS. "K" ldyer

April 15, 2009 Flag

We had to get half of our 60 foot hackberry tree cut off and now we have mounds of branches and "logs". Any ideas on what to use these logs for, besides saving it for firewood to sell.

February 20, 2007 Flag
        Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
        Crafts WoodworkingJune 10, 2012
        Pine Branch on White Background
        Decorating With Branches
        Split Tree
        Saving a Split Tree
        Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
        Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
        Eucalyptus Branch
        Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 27, 2016 at 10:05:28 PM on 10.0.2.235 in 854 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.