Crafts Using Tree Branches

Whether fresh or dry, branches and twigs are a thrifty supply to create a variety of things. This guide is about crafts using tree branches.

December 5, 2016 Flag

Can I use fallen pine tree limbs for crafts? I wanted to create a Christmas tree craft and want to know if I will have to contend with sap drip or allergen issues inside the home. I have abundant SW Florida pines on my property.

Thank you for the reply! These limbs are not sappy, but I was told they could produce even though they are dry. I wouldn't want them in my oven either :)

January 19, 2015 Flag

Last summer, I found a nice branch that I spray painted gold and that I use as a trellis for my live ivy. Usually it sits in a decorative basket in the hallway. This past Christmas, I hung some small red bells from the branches, wrapped the basket with a seasonal tea towel and placed it on a side table in the family room. It garnered compliments from family and friends but sorry to say, I didn't think about taking a picture of it. Anyway, a little imagination at any time costs next to nothing and always gives back a great feeling.

Total Time: 5 minutes to paint, 1/2 hour to dry

What a cool idea! Thumbs up!:)

October 20, 2010 Flag

Here is a witch made mostly from materials found in my back yard, twine, and twigs.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

This witch is pretty easy to make. Gather thin twigs and some twine from your yard, and some small acorns (I used about 8). You will need enough twine to make the head, torso, and skirt.

1. Strip all the leaves, I like to use twigs with some curly vines.
  2. Then for the head, wrap twine around fingers about an inch and secure with wire. I use wire from trash bag ties or wire I collect from gifts.
  3. Now for the body, take enough twine of about 3 inches in length and width and shape into a bowling pin. I do this while the twine is wet and pliable. Then secure the twine with wire about an inch from the top to make the waist. Put aside.
  4. For the arms, I use more twine, about 3 inches, then I secure all the pieces with wire and hot glue.
  5. I wrap wire through and secure in back and fold the ends to make hands.
  6. For the base, make a ring about 4 inches and secure the skirt to it, secure the head to torso.
  7. For the broom, use a 3 inch twig and take the pine needles and cut to about 1 inch in length and wrap as many as you like with wire around the twig to look like a broom.
  8. For the pumpkin, wrap twine in a circle, then fan out the sides and secure with wire. Glue to hand and base.
  9. For the hat and cape, use left over candy wrappers.
  10. Shape the hat and glue pine needles, curly twine for hair.
  11. For the cape, glue wrappers around neck.
  12. By Belen from Jacksonville

She's adorable! Thanks for sharing.

April 13, 2010 Flag

I've had a lot of oleander bushes in the yard for years. I wanted to re-landscape some parts so the bushes had to go. The limbs of this bush are very soft and can be milled into useful items to use around the house and studio.

Limb pen holder.

October 12, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about Halloween bat branches. For an inexpensive holiday display, decorate tree branches with glittery bats and cobwebs.

Halloween Bat Branches

February 6, 2012 Flag

You don't have to spend a fortune at the craft stores to make a great natural wreath. If you have a willow tree that loves to drop its long branches all over the yard (the bane of my husband's existence :), then you have about all you need. If you don't have one, ask around, maybe a friend does. Or investigate other trees, vines, shrubs that might also be suitable.

If you've ever made a grapevine wreath, the process is the same for willow branches. Make your initial circle to the size desired by wrapping the pliable branch around itself. Slightly green branches work best. Then begin wrapping additional branches tucking the ends in between until you get the wreath thickness you desire.

If you have floral wire or any thin gauge wire (twisty ties with the paper coating peeled off), you can secure the finished wreath in a couple places. Hide the wire with whatever you decorate your wreath.

My photo shows a willow wreath in progress. Notice the ends that need to be trimmed or tucked in. But you may like to leave some for a more natural look. There's no right or wrong with this craft.

By gloria from western NY

Hi, thank you so much for posting this! We have a couple of willow trees & this will be a neat item to make!

August 23, 2010 Flag

I make flowers from acorns and twigs found in my yard. Collect about 14 small branches. Cut to same length or longer than jar. Collect about 3 pine cones, and some ivy. Strip ivy of all leaves, this will be wrapped around jar of branches.

February 18, 2008 Flag

Using very dry branches, wire, glue and coco fiber mat, I made these two chairs for decorative effect. On the wall behind the one chair with orange flowers on it is a twig trellis on the wall. Twig art is fun as long as you remember to have dry wood to work with.

Twig Art Chair

June 5, 2013 Flag

This is a branch that is cut and then cracked in two. Where it is cracked in two, I put duct tape on the top. It will hold clothes. They would really be pretty if they were all covered in duct tape rather than just the top.

June 24, 2009 Flag

I am big on nature. I took one long branch, a shorter branch, scrap wood, and made a welcome sign. I screwed the branches together. I put a screw(or nail) in top of the sign, wrapped copper wire around top screws.

sign hanging from branch post

March 30, 2010 Flag

This is a money tree created for a 50th surprise birthday party. It is constructed of a sassafras branch (dogwood works good as well), curling ribbon in various lengths tied onto the branches. I used a vase as tall as the branch and added sand and rocks for stability.

branch with money attached for birthday gift

June 3, 2013 Flag

We made a circle of beads with wire and hooked them together.

Maple Wood Branch Windchimes with Beads

April 15, 2009 Flag

With many people pruning at this time of year I thought I'd come up with some useful things to do with the pruned twigs and branches. Today a neighbor gave me several large bundles of long supple apple tree branches.

October 14, 2015 Flag

I recently cut off a large branch from my tree. The branch is about 3/4ft high. I would like to use it as a decoration for Christmas. What is the best way to support it? A board or pot? Do you have any suggestions please?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We use a large branch of a healthy tree (eucalyptus, fir, pine etc.) as a "holiday tree". We hang the branch on a wall slanting downward as it would be if still on the tree. We love birds so have many types of bird baubles-little nests with babies, small realistic birds, crochet and cross stitch birds, my naturalist husband's photos, etc. Add clear lights only.

This is mainly for our grandkids and guests when visiting.

We celebrate the day mainly as a winter's festival break from the cold and dark season.

June 8, 2012 Flag

Cut a branch that is dead from one of your trees and cut into 5 of the same length to make a star.

Fabric wrapped star on wall.

Load More
Crafts WoodworkingJune 10, 2012
Pine Branch on White Background
Decorating With Branches
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
Eucalyptus Branch
Preserving Eucalyptus Branches
🎉
🎄