Dealing With a Dog That Chews

It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

July 10, 2007 Flag

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

I think what people arent understanding about crate training, whether for chewing, house training habits or whatever that poeple, children and adults learn through trial and error.

So as long as the dog is in the crate, he does not have opportunity to do things that will please or displease his people. Apart from actually being IN the crate which is beyond his control. He is not given the choice.

We dont train our kids to do what they need to keep them safe and a harmonious household by caging them. We allow them to explore and socialize and learn while we take the time and care to watch them diligently. Small children may indeed have a playpen but they are still responsibly watched and have the company of another human being.

If you want your dog to be an active well adjusted and adequately socialized part of the whole family and feel that your home is his home how can you expect that to happen if he is not given access to it?

Dogs may come from wolves who den. Even wild dogs may find dens to sleep because it affords them more safety in the wild.

If someone's dog prefers his den/kennel to sleeping with people it is because he feels safest there. Think about that. Is that really what you want? How might he react then in places and situations where he isnt feeling entirely safe or confident?

Dogs, especially puppies prefer to sleep and be with their pack. Not banished from the pack in a crate.

I do certainly understand your concern about when you are not there. Your puppy is just a little kid and in the learning stages, accidents are bound to happen and things are bound to get wrecked. It comes with the territory while raising responsible and well adjusted dogs as well as kids.

Behavior problems are caused when the animals needs arent met. Given that they are so generous with their love isnt it fitting that we return that love by discovering what they do need and supplying that?

Puppies chew because their mouths are hurting. They are teething. Clearly there are better ways for all concerned to deal with this problem than confining the dog.

I dont mean to sound unkind, I just wish people would take steps to discover what their dogs need. And what the cause of behavioral problems are rather than just looking at ways to stop it. The only way to solve any problem without causing more problems is to discover the cause and solve it at it's source.

July 12, 2016 Flag

Our 1 year old Lab has a bad habit that he started about 3 months ago. Whenever we leave him to himself he would bite the window sill. Sometimes it happens when we are home too. Usually there is at least 1 person home, but that person doesn't pay attention to our dog, so our dog would go to the window and start to chew on it.

For the past three months it has been bite, fix, bite, fix, bite, fix... We started to wonder if we aren't fit to have a dog. We are deciding to find a better home for him, but I'm trying to hold on to the last bit of hope. I really want him to say with us, but I'm probably being selfish. He might have a better life with a better family. Please help. Thanks.

My dog is an 80 pound pit at 8 months. Yes I know he has mastiff in him to. The only thing he tears apart is his bedding. I have a 2000 square foot house and 2 acre lot that he had full run of and plentiful of toys any suggestions

May 14, 2007 Flag

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil.

February 12, 2015 Flag

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

I have experienced this behavior in two dogs - one had been severely abused and one was rescued from a puppy mill. Two things that helped were:

1. Pheromone spray which helps calm the dog and prevents stress-related behavior (can be purchased at Drs. Foster & Smith.com), and 2. Always having a chew stick for them available 24/7. I use made-in-the-USA pizzle stix (also called bully sticks). These are much cheaper purchased online than at pet stores.

April 11, 2011 Flag

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

Another idea is to make sure your puppy gets enough exercise and attention. That helps tire the dog out and cures the boredom factor that often leads to the bad behavior. Nice long walks and play involving running and fetching will make a big difference. Then gentle correction when you see chewing on the wrong items.

February 18, 2016 Flag

I have a German Shepherd that is 6 months old and I have flowers that he ate, solar lights that he chewed up, and rocks and wood everything he sees! So then today he ate my patio screen sliding door, the net. I don't know what to do. So I give him a little smack on the nose everytime he does anything bad. Is that dangerous?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are creating the possibility of turning your dog aggressive and a biter by smacking them on the nose not to mention making them head shy. Quick loud corrections either by voice or clapping your hands to stop the behavior instantly. Also giving them something else to chew on and keep them from getting bored is key. Redirecting their attention is a must. I use cow hooves for all my dogs. Safe and natural product that keeps all my dogs safe and my belongings.

July 18, 2011 Flag

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

Alone in the bedroom? Dogs are not spiteful, your dog is lonely & bored. Please walk her and give her time out in the fresh air, being locked in a room all day is bad for her. Change her toys and give her a lot of attention when you are home.

December 12, 2015 Flag

I have a 6 year old female Staffy that has only just started to chew. She has decided to start chewing through the plaster wall in my house. I have no idea why and nothing has changed around the house. She has never chewed before.

Staffy may have a medical problem that needs treatment immediately. She may need nutrients she does not get in her diet, may have a medical problem in not absorbing nutrients, etc. Much like children in poor areas who eat non-food items because they are not eating a good diet.

She will not improve so delay will just make her problem worse.

February 3, 2015 Flag

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

All dogs naturally need to chew. What they chew on can be a problem. This site from WebMD will explain chewing behavior and provide help for your puppy.

http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/destructive-chewing-dogs

January 21, 2015 Flag

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

Sounds like a form of separation anxiety. He handles your being away because he can't see what you're doing. When you're back, and on the phone, he sees that is what is taking attention away from him.

April 8, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

P.S. The cat used to like to sleep in it when there was no dog in it.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 19, 2012
Aggressive dog in the snow.
Dealing With an Aggressive Dog
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
IRS Audit
Dealing With an IRS Audit
Puppy with pig ear chews.
Homemade Dog Chews
🎉
🎄