Dealing With a Dog That Chews

It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

A dog in a crate
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have a German Shepherd that is 6 months old and I have flowers that he ate, solar lights that he chewed up, and rocks and wood everything he sees! So then today he ate my patio screen sliding door, the net. I don't know what to do. So I give him a little smack on the nose everytime he does anything bad. Is that dangerous?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are creating the possibility of turning your dog aggressive and a biter by smacking them on the nose not to mention making them head shy. Quick loud corrections either by voice or clapping your hands to stop the behavior instantly. Also giving them something else to chew on and keep them from getting bored is key. Redirecting their attention is a must. I use cow hooves for all my dogs. Safe and natural product that keeps all my dogs safe and my belongings.

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell. He chews glasses and through electronic wires. We've bought him chew toys. The problem is we have 2 other dogs that play with the toys. I don't know what to do, my family is ready to send him to the pound. I don't want this to happen I love this dog, but I'm frustrated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a 6 year old female Staffy that has only just started to chew. She has decided to start chewing through the plaster wall in my house. I have no idea why and nothing has changed around the house. She has never chewed before.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Staffy may have a medical problem that needs treatment immediately. She may need nutrients she does not get in her diet, may have a medical problem in not absorbing nutrients, etc. Much like children in poor areas who eat non-food items because they are not eating a good diet.

She will not improve so delay will just make her problem worse.

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have experienced this behavior in two dogs - one had been severely abused and one was rescued from a puppy mill. Two things that helped were:

1. Pheromone spray which helps calm the dog and prevents stress-related behavior (can be purchased at Drs. Foster & Smith.com), and 2. Always having a chew stick for them available 24/7. I use made-in-the-USA pizzle stix (also called bully sticks). These are much cheaper purchased online than at pet stores.

Read More Answers...

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You've got a large breed dog which can be quite destructive. And puppies chew pretty much all the time. You're going to have to just start thinking bigger and tougher than a meter high wooden fence. Perhaps electric fencing. Wood is simply nothing to a Great Dane. They can reduce it to splinters.

Large breed dogs are not for everybody. I do not know if this is the case, but if you're having any second thoughts about being able to handle this dog when it actually grows up, please rehome the dog when it's still a puppy. It will be easier for the animal to adjust. If you're serious about this, though, stop thinking wood and start thinking wrought iron.

Read More Answers...

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You can seek help from your vet-they have much experience in these types of problems. Take your dog to your vet for a check to be sure there are no medical problems and discuss how to help your dog. The vet may recommend medication to help your dog improve his behavior.

Read More Answers...

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another idea is to make sure your puppy gets enough exercise and attention. That helps tire the dog out and cures the boredom factor that often leads to the bad behavior. Nice long walks and play involving running and fetching will make a big difference. Then gentle correction when you see chewing on the wrong items.

Read More Answers...

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Roni:

You might want to consider leaving the TV or the radio on for your little one. Dogs really do suffer when we leave them, they are so codependent. You might want to keep it on food network something like that so she is always hearing a human voice. It does help. I have a Rat Terrier and a Jack Russell and this does help when I have to leave. My rat terrier is the one who shreds toilet paper in the bathroom or chews on my shoes. It helps to close up the closet, leave the toys and an old shirt or pair of socks with your scent will help too. Just something to keep your dog thinking about you, in a good way! Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A litle more about the dog. He's a 1-1/2 year old boxer and already sleeps in a crate with his brother, a 5 year old wire-haired terrier, and his kong. They sleep on the U-Haul blanket, and we throw his sleeping blanket on top of the two of them when they go to bed. Need to, the back room is still too cold for them at night. When things heat up in the summer, we leave the top blanket off. I'm afraid to just put the quilt over the top of the crate. I don't want him to destroy the blanket they sleep on top of.

Read More Answers...

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA
        http://www.thewildliferadio.com

Why do outside dogs on a leash chew up on anything that it gets to and how can I stop it?

By L.H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The reason your dog chews on everything is because you treat him as an "outside" dog. Dogs are meant to be part of a pack, that is, you and your family. He is bored and unhappy spending all his time tied up on a chain. Does he get exercise? Do you spend time playing with him, walking him? That's the answer. Time and love will cure this. Why have a dog if you are going to tie him up and leave him alone outside? Don't understand it.

Read More Answers...

We have a Red Nose Pit Bull and we just started to notice him chewing up a lot of stuff around the house outside. We have toys and bones for him to chew on and we give him a lot of love. We are wondering if a muzzle will work for the chewing part.

By Petertink from Tehachapi, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nope. No muzzle. Not a good idea. He needs enough exercise to exhaust his endurance and toys for hearty chewers. Ask your vet. I am sure there will be some good answers.

Read More Answers...

My dog has everything a dog can have, even more; she lives better than many Americans in this hard economic situation. My dog needs attention and love I guess every second because if not she destroys things. Every time she is left home alone when I go to pick up my son from school (just for 30 minutes), she destroys my son's bed, sheets, and pillows.

I'm scared she can hurt my two kids. I have a 13 month old baby that my dog does not like too much. Please help, I'm thinking seriously of taking her to a shelter. BTW my dog has a bed inside our home, she eats, drinks, and stays inside, because if not she gets upset, we also walk her.

By Cio R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get yourself a dog crate and crate her when you leave. I have always crated my dogs. I have owned Rottweilers, and now have an Australian Cattle Dog and two Pugs. All run to their crates when they see us getting ready to leave. They hop in and I close the door.

I have the Doskosil crates like the airlines use and they actually spend time in them when they rest or play with their toys. It is not a punishment. It saves my rugs and my possessions from sharp little teeth in a bored animal. Your dog is throwing a temper tantrum because you left it home. Put its bed or better yet an old towel or comforter in the crate. That way if it gets shredded, it is no great loss.

If the dog shreds, leave it in the crate with nothing to shred. This is totally unacceptable behavior on the part of any dog.

Read More Answers...

My Pit is basically a year old. Today I decided to give her a test and not crate her; I was only gone for an hour and she chewed the window sill. I have two other full-grown dogs here as well, they are 5 and 7 year old Labs. Why is she still chewing and how do I correct this issue of my dog?

By Bobby

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Ae you kidding? Your Pit is still a puppy! And will behave like one until it's three years old. I once had a Great Dane who ate up my piano bench when he was one and a half years old. Sounds to me like your puppy also suffers from separation anxiety as well as teething issues.

My suggestion is to get a kong and fill it with treats when you're going to leave him in his cage for a while. Also, make sure you have pressed rawhide bones (the white knobby rawhide bones he can choke on) to give him to chew on.

You could also try an old kennel trick and turn on the radio or TV so he can hear it and not feel isolated. If you have his cage in an area where the other dogs in the house can't go I'd suggest that you move the cage so that he can see them and not feel so isolated. Give it more time for him to grow up. Good luck.

Read More Answers...

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!
        Thanks!

By Sue from VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dachshund does this all the time. My vet told me she thinks they do it to sooth themselves sorta like a kid sucking his thumb. I don't even try to stop it. It's his blanket and I would not take it from him. Neither do I worry about it.

Read More Answers...

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
        Dimps

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Puppies tend to chew on stuff because their teeth hurt. Like babies, pups go threw a teething stage. Try giving them a chew toy that's squishy or a rawhide.

Read More Answers...

Why is my dog chewing up everything when left home?

By Djsam from Azusa, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree it is separation anxiety. I am no expert on this situation, but having had many dogs, I know that they need regular exercise several times a day, they love a schedule so they know what to expect and when to expect it. If they have a good schedule, usually you can spend some few hours away from home and not have so much anxiety. But check with your vet. Good luck.

Read More Answers...
        Load More
        Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 19, 2012
        Aggressive dog in the snow.
        Dealing With an Aggressive Dog
        Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
        Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
        IRS Audit
        Dealing With an IRS Audit
        Puppy with pig ear chews.
        Homemade Dog Chews
        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 6:06:12 PM on 10.0.2.69 in 925 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.