Dealing With a Dog That Chews

It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

A dog in a crate
Filter Sort

Question: Training a Puppy Not to Chew and Run Away

By Cassie Joy U. 2 1

I have a Dachshund Chihuahua Pug mix puppy with chewing and issues of running off when let out or getting out of the house without a leash. How can I get her to stop these bad behaviors?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Fold Up Kennel For Obsessive Chewers

By heather 10 2

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dogs Chewing Everything

By Lynda 1 8

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
    Dimps

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Puppies tend to chew on stuff because their teeth hurt. Like babies, pups go threw a teething stage. Try giving them a chew toy that's squishy or a rawhide.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Chewing Things Other Than Toys

By ron2011 1

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diana Atherton 6 13 Flag

Hi Roni:

You might want to consider leaving the TV or the radio on for your little one. Dogs really do suffer when we leave them, they are so codependent. You might want to keep it on food network something like that so she is always hearing a human voice. It does help. I have a Rat Terrier and a Jack Russell and this does help when I have to leave. My rat terrier is the one who shreds toilet paper in the bathroom or chews on my shoes. It helps to close up the closet, leave the toys and an old shirt or pair of socks with your scent will help too. Just something to keep your dog thinking about you, in a good way! Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Bed for a Dog That Chews

By leese 3 7

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By leese 3 7 Flag

A litle more about the dog. He's a 1-1/2 year old boxer and already sleeps in a crate with his brother, a 5 year old wire-haired terrier, and his kong. They sleep on the U-Haul blanket, and we throw his sleeping blanket on top of the two of them when they go to bed. Need to, the back room is still too cold for them at night. When things heat up in the summer, we leave the top blanket off. I'm afraid to just put the quilt over the top of the crate. I don't want him to destroy the blanket they sleep on top of.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Stop Your Dog From Chewing

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.thewildliferadio.com

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Chew Toy Advice

My 10-month-old female Dachshund loves to chew on shoes (other things, too, but mostly shoes). We have changed our habits by ensuring that our shoes are out of reach, but it's difficult to communicate this importance to guests who visit for extended periods.

I think something that would go a long way toward training her would be to limit her "approved" chew toys list. Personally, I would like to have one (maybe two) unique toys that she knows are OK to chew on. My husband, however, seems to think she needs "stimulation," so just about every week, he brings in one or two new squeaky, bouncy, chewy things for her to play with - to the point that now we have about 15 or 20 toys (that haven't already been destroyed) to choose from.

I think this is confusing to her, giving her too many options. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? (Note: We do have a 14-month-old male companion Doxie, too. He's been "shoe-chew-free" for about 10 months now.)

Evie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I understand that the dog chews on shoes, but it's still a pup. You have to work with them often, and if you catch them with a shoe, give them a stern 'No!'. They will soon understand, and if they are 'Shoe-free' for a day or two, give them a treat, such as a raw-hide.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Chews Up Bedding When Left Home Alone

By Roci 1 1

My dog has everything a dog can have, even more; she lives better than many Americans in this hard economic situation. My dog needs attention and love I guess every second because if not she destroys things. Every time she is left home alone when I go to pick up my son from school (just for 30 minutes), she destroys my son's bed, sheets, and pillows.

I'm scared she can hurt my two kids. I have a 13 month old baby that my dog does not like too much. Please help, I'm thinking seriously of taking her to a shelter. BTW my dog has a bed inside our home, she eats, drinks, and stays inside, because if not she gets upset, we also walk her.

By Cio R.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Karen S. 2 Flag

Get yourself a dog crate and crate her when you leave. I have always crated my dogs. I have owned Rottweilers, and now have an Australian Cattle Dog and two Pugs. All run to their crates when they see us getting ready to leave. They hop in and I close the door.

I have the Doskosil crates like the airlines use and they actually spend time in them when they rest or play with their toys. It is not a punishment. It saves my rugs and my possessions from sharp little teeth in a bored animal. Your dog is throwing a temper tantrum because you left it home. Put its bed or better yet an old towel or comforter in the crate. That way if it gets shredded, it is no great loss.

If the dog shreds, leave it in the crate with nothing to shred. This is totally unacceptable behavior on the part of any dog.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

By john 1

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marcie 6 219 Flag

Another idea is to make sure your puppy gets enough exercise and attention. That helps tire the dog out and cures the boredom factor that often leads to the bad behavior. Nice long walks and play involving running and fetching will make a big difference. Then gentle correction when you see chewing on the wrong items.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Can I Stop My Dog From Chewing On Blankets?

By sue 6 29

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!
    Thanks!

By Sue from VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Betty 104 753 Flag

My dachshund does this all the time. My vet told me she thinks they do it to sooth themselves sorta like a kid sucking his thumb. I don't even try to stop it. It's his blanket and I would not take it from him. Neither do I worry about it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Keeping a Dog from Chewing on Things

By Petertink 1

We have a Red Nose Pit Bull and we just started to notice him chewing up a lot of stuff around the house outside. We have toys and bones for him to chew on and we give him a lot of love. We are wondering if a muzzle will work for the chewing part.

By Petertink from Tehachapi, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Holly 367 1,263 Flag

Nope. No muzzle. Not a good idea. He needs enough exercise to exhaust his endurance and toys for hearty chewers. Ask your vet. I am sure there will be some good answers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Chews When Left Alone

By Djsam 1

Why is my dog chewing up everything when left home?

By Djsam from Azusa, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marcie 6 219 Flag

I agree it is separation anxiety. I am no expert on this situation, but having had many dogs, I know that they need regular exercise several times a day, they love a schedule so they know what to expect and when to expect it. If they have a good schedule, usually you can spend some few hours away from home and not have so much anxiety. But check with your vet. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Tearing Holes in Comforter

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ilovesophie 20 164 Flag

I have experienced this behavior in two dogs - one had been severely abused and one was rescued from a puppy mill. Two things that helped were:

1. Pheromone spray which helps calm the dog and prevents stress-related behavior (can be purchased at Drs. Foster & Smith.com), and 2. Always having a chew stick for them available 24/7. I use made-in-the-USA pizzle stix (also called bully sticks). These are much cheaper purchased online than at pet stores.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Chews on Everything

Why do outside dogs on a leash chew up on anything that it gets to and how can I stop it?

By L.H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marcie 6 219 Flag

The reason your dog chews on everything is because you treat him as an "outside" dog. Dogs are meant to be part of a pack, that is, you and your family. He is bored and unhappy spending all his time tied up on a chain. Does he get exercise? Do you spend time playing with him, walking him? That's the answer. Time and love will cure this. Why have a dog if you are going to tie him up and leave him alone outside? Don't understand it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: One Year Old Pit Still Chewing

My Pit is basically a year old. Today I decided to give her a test and not crate her; I was only gone for an hour and she chewed the window sill. I have two other full-grown dogs here as well, they are 5 and 7 year old Labs. Why is she still chewing and how do I correct this issue of my dog?

By Bobby

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Gloria Z 10 256 Flag

Ae you kidding? Your Pit is still a puppy! And will behave like one until it's three years old. I once had a Great Dane who ate up my piano bench when he was one and a half years old. Sounds to me like your puppy also suffers from separation anxiety as well as teething issues.

My suggestion is to get a kong and fill it with treats when you're going to leave him in his cage for a while. Also, make sure you have pressed rawhide bones (the white knobby rawhide bones he can choke on) to give him to chew on.

You could also try an old kennel trick and turn on the radio or TV so he can hear it and not feel isolated. If you have his cage in an area where the other dogs in the house can't go I'd suggest that you move the cage so that he can see them and not feel so isolated. Give it more time for him to grow up. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Teaching a Puppy Not to Chew

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

You've got a large breed dog which can be quite destructive. And puppies chew pretty much all the time. You're going to have to just start thinking bigger and tougher than a meter high wooden fence. Perhaps electric fencing. Wood is simply nothing to a Great Dane. They can reduce it to splinters.

Large breed dogs are not for everybody. I do not know if this is the case, but if you're having any second thoughts about being able to handle this dog when it actually grows up, please rehome the dog when it's still a puppy. It will be easier for the animal to adjust. If you're serious about this, though, stop thinking wood and start thinking wrought iron.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Chews Bed and Blankets

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

You can seek help from your vet-they have much experience in these types of problems. Take your dog to your vet for a check to be sure there are no medical problems and discuss how to help your dog. The vet may recommend medication to help your dog improve his behavior.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dogs Chews on Furniture When Owner Away

I have a two year old male Pit Bull that chews on my furniture. I had bought a large cage to keep him in all day while I was at work. Then I had felt sorry for him and kept him out during the day while at work, leaving a radio on in one room and a TV in another room. He was fine for a while, but then reverted back to his destructive pattern. Then I would put him back in the cage again, then felt sorry for him, kept him out, then same pattern started all over again. I purposely have kept one piece of furniture in the house that he keeps destroying, but when I came back home today it was destroyed and I have to throw it out. Honestly I am over it! I can not take this anymore and I am torn about giving him up. Are there any meds I can give him during the day while I am out to keep him chilled and calm? Maybe I need to take some meds to deal with this!

By C.V.W.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,251 Flag

Are you walking this dog on a regular basis? He needs one good walk, or a trip to the dog park every day. Do you take time to play with him when you are home on a regular basis? You need to be channeling the energy a energetic young dog has. If you don't have time to do so, the pattern you describe may continue.

A dog requires a consistent commitment of your time on a daily basis. If you don't have the time, look for a home for the dog that does have the time. It may take a while to find the right home, but you will be able to feel like you did the right thing by your dog. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Buying Dog Kong Chew Toys

Our Pit is chewing everything. Where do we get Kong products; at what pet store?

By Reginald D from Detroit, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Betty 104 753 Flag

I think Walmart carries them too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad

I am in need of advice. I have two Pit Bulls. one of them is 3 years old and has no problems at all. I got her when she was only 5 weeks old, but the other is approximately 1 year and a large male. I haven't had any problems training any of the pits I have owned but this one seems to be a whole different story.

He wont stop chewing the couches, getting on counters, urinating in the house whether we are home or not. We tried the crate but after 3 weeks to no avail (he doesn't stop barking... ever, if he is in it). I am a rescue/helper of the breed, please, i need someone's help.

Out of Ideas

Answers:
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    I don't have any specific advice, but I would recommend that you contact some of the 'foster parents' in one of the rescue organizations for the breed. I rescued a 5-yr old long haired dachshund with seizure disorder about 5 months ago and his foster mom had so much experience and she couldn't have been more willing and helpful.
    By Claudia
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    I don't know about the breed but kudos to you for doing what you do. All my dogs are rescued too & 2 of them just about destroyed everything they could until they were over 1 yr. old. I don't remember exactly when but one day the one just stopped & the other slowed down until he stopped. I didn't think I would survive but they are the best dogs in the world. You might want to get a complete blood panel done just to rule out anything physical.
    By Vic
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    I would crate him when you are not home or cannot watch him. He is getting "his way" when you let him out of the crate because he is barking. When my rottie was a puppy she would bark and cry too. We ended up buying a bark collar. My hubby actually tested it on his arm, because we didn't want to hurt her. We put it at the mildest setting and put it on her in the crate. She only barked once and we only had to put it on her a couple times. All we had to say whenever she kept barking was "do you want your bark collar?" and she would be quiet, even to this day and she is 8+ now. We only used it a couple times, but it was well worth it. All dogs have a different personality and it may be a challenge, but if you work with him it will payoff. It might help if you take hime to obediance classes too. They say most puppies chew and misbehave until they are 2 which is true with my 2 dogs. I think it is great that you are trying to help this dog. Good luck.
    By Donna J.
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    Check out books by Patricia McConnell or Jean Donaldson. They both have great information about training dogs and interpreting their behavior.
    By guest
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    Is it separation anxiety? Maybe he has gotten extremely attached to you as some rescues will and has extreme separation anxiety. Also, does he have (safe) chew toys? Is his crate big enough? Does he get enough exercise? You must constantly tell him NO in a stern voice when he does something that is bad as soon as he does it (don't wait even 5 seconds). Conversely, act like he's the best dog in the world when he behaves nicely, like urinating outside. Be very consistent and incredibly patient. Some dogs that have had traumatic pasts seem to respond only to positive reinforcement. One of mine is incredibly stubborn and doesn't want to go in his kennel when I ask. If I cuddle the other one and tell her how good she is when she goes in her kennel on command, he hears me fussing over the female and will go in his kennel immediately (and voluntarily) just to get me to fuss over him, too. Works every time and is kind of funny, actually. You could try using your female as an example of good behavior and maybe the male will catch on. I would probably treat him like a puppy and watch him constantly -- don't let him out of your sight -- to make sure he doesn't do anything bad. This will drive you crazy for a while, but is well worth the effort.
    By
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 05/27/2005
    I have a little teeny tiny mini-yorkie who sounds like a pack of wild coyotes when he does not get his way. I had a neighbor come by and point blank ask if I was abusing him, the little booger did not like his harness and was trying to chew it off...ugghhh anyhoots, he howeled in crate too. BUT I was more determined so I put him it in spare bedroom put cartoon channel on and placed two chew toys and chew stick in his crate and he howeled for a few mins then I slammed front door and sat in living room readind i fell asleep and he was playing when I woke up...you have to be stronger willed they will know you are a softie my husb thought I was mean to let him cry even for a minute (obvious we have no kids) so I did this when husb was out....pup is trained and no chewing my shoes I tapped him with magazine and he finally got it smart guy. GOOD LUCK.
    By meoowmom
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 06/15/2005
    I have a male that is 1/2 pit bull, very bull headed. He does not like to be seperated from me when I am home. He will bark and carry on if I am home but be fine if he knows I'm not there. I took a spray bottle and put water with vinager in it. White is best, and sprayed him in the face when he would bark or wine in his crate. He has since learned that when he is a good boy we will play with his ball when I get home and at night I tell him night night and he knows he will get a treat if he goes into his crate and is good.
    Good luck.
    By AJM1271
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 06/19/2005
    I also have a Pit mix rescue. She is now nine months old and I have had her since she was four months. I had and am still having many of the same issues you are, but am finally with lots of patience and consistency seeing some major improvement. She is crated when I am away and fights me everyday to go in (usally hides under the bed), but the barking is slowly subsiding. Also, she has been very difficult to house train when out of the crate, but I have faith that she will totally get it one day. As far as jumping up on the counter, the spray bottle worked wonderfully( and she even loves water). I still battle the chewing on everything she is not supposed to, even though my floor is covered with toys and bones, but I do see that subsiding also. The jumbo (undigestable nyla bones are one of her favorites and keep her occupied for long periods). All I can say is patience,patience,patience and I do sympathize. It has been a trying five months, but worth every aggrevation, as I am sure you know. Good Luck!
    By Stacy
    RE: Pit Bull Driving Me Mad 10/13/2005
    Wow this dog seems like a handful. My aunt has had previous experiences. The best thing you can do is take one issue at a time and work on it. Trying to fix it all at once will just confuse the dog. Also do not use force or negativity on the dog, it will just make him dislike what you are trying to teach him. It is so much easier when the dog wants to learn. It may just be easier to take him to the professionals. Try looking up trainers or classes at your local petstore.
    By Maura

Archive: Pit Bull Chewing on Everything

My daughter has a 8 month old pit that is chewing up everything! She just called, he chewed up her new glasses this morning, the old ones a while back. Anyway, she loves this pit so much and doesn't want to get rid of him. She has crated him, he still shows her no signs of catching on. How can she stop this before she has to seek the alternative?

Judy from Leighton, AL

Answers:

RE: Pit Bull Chewing on Everything

Almost all puppies go through a chewing phase that starts at about 3-4 months old and lasts for several months. This is the period when they are shedding their puppy teeth and gaining their adult teeth. Some breeds are worse than others. Labs are probably the worst in general but most of the large breeds are pretty bad.

First, you must puppy proof your house. Put up anything you don't want chewed. Have lots of chew toys available to them at all times. The best that I know of are the Kong toys. They are virtually indestructible and are hollow so you can pack them with treats and the dog will be occupied for hours trying to work them out. Also consider looking for a good dog trainer to work with you. There are no bad dogs, only poorly trained ones. Ask your veterinarian for a recommendation. Many veterinarians also offer training services. (07/05/2006)

By Walter

RE: Pit Bull Chewing on Everything

Our Yorkie did this and, of course, nothing under $200.00 was chewed or destroyed so we kept our eyes on him 24/7. We were consistent and squirted him with water bottles or toy water guns which he did NOT like so he quit chewing and, of course, provided PLENTY of chew toys. Also, we praised him loudly when he played nice with chew toys. He LIKED that so he caught on quickly. Be even with your discipline and they catch on. (07/10/2006)

By meoowmom

Archive: Puppy is Chewing on the Carpet

We have 2 new puppies. Dyson, he's a basset hound and Boo, she's a Basset/Yorkie. Both are about 6 months old now and they keep eating the stair carpet and underlay. Everywhere else is laminated. Has anybody got any tips, the other 3 never did this. Shoes and trainers, yes. Help before my husband runs away!

Ray and Sylvie from England

Answers:

RE: Puppies Chewing on the Carpet

Try spraying the area with vinegar, or put pepper on the carpet, perhaps they will get the idea. If not ask vet for advice. (01/30/2009)

By Pat

RE: Puppies Chewing on the Carpet

It is never to early or late to start crate training. They do not need the run of the house at this point. They are not trying to cause problems they just don't know the ropes yet. Put crate training in the search bar and look up various methods. They can get to where they really like their little houses. Also, fill a can with pennies and tape it shut. It is a good distraction to shake it and get their attention off the chewing. Give them lots of chew toys, and praise them when they are chewing on these. I would crate train and let them out only under supervision. They sound sweet and adorable.

Teach them how to come when called by offering treats when they come. Help them learn to sit down before they get a treat. Hold it up above their nose so they have to look up and then bring it backwards so they (usually) will sit down. Once they learn to look to you as their trainer and learn to love learning, you will be on your way to better communication with them. Crate training just helps you eliminate mistakes by letting them out only under supervision. I would say, let them out every so often during the day if they are not potty trained. This might take just a few hours or days or whatever they need. (02/01/2009)

By Robyn

RE: Puppies Chewing on the Carpet

Bitter apple is a product that you spray on areas where the dog likes to chew that are"no no's". It tastes very bitter and they tend to not chew there anymore. Racer (02/05/2009)

By Robyn

Archive: Puppy Chews On Everything

I got a dog for Christmas from my ex boyfriend and I love it a lot. It's so cute, but my parents want to get rid of it because he chews up everything. I don't know how to stop it, and I don't want to get rid of him at all. What can I do to make him stop chewing on stuff?

Sara from Gravette

Feedback:

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

If the pup does it when you're not home, then he needs to be kennel trained. If he does it when you're there and you catch him, make a short, loud sharp sound every time, and after awhile he will stop. Try a whistle or a jar of pennies. (10/13/2008)

By samantha

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

All puppies chew. It's important to make sure they have suitable chewing toys. You can't stop a puppy from chewing, it's natural. You can use something like Bitter Apple spray to let them know not to chew on doorways, shoes, etc. Your puppy will eventually outgrow the constant chewing. (10/13/2008)

By Wendopolis

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

Something that saved us with our puppy (who's 6 months old now) is the wasabi paste that comes in a tube. It's potent to say the least! Just smear it on everything you don't want the puppy to chew on, and he'll learn quick. It saved our chair and table legs, as well as the stair treads. He wanted to chew on EVERYTHING! You can find it in the international section of your grocery store, and it's pretty cheap- we can buy a small tube of it for about $2.50.

As for everything else that isn't nailed down, remove it from his reach, and if he finds something unacceptable to chew on, take it from him and scold him, and be consistent! For example, puppies don't know that some shoes are okay to chew on and some aren't. Something else that helped us was wearing him out with long walks, spending a lot of that energy outside running around meant less for chewing and being destructive. Good luck, and have patience. Dogs are worth it, but wow. Yeah. Patience. (10/13/2008)

By Beth - MA

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

Though you didn't say so, many people punish animals by yelling, spanking, slapping their hands or stomping their feet, saying no, etc. Please don't do this if you are, and please don't start doing it because you've become frustrated. Like Wendopolis said, puppies chew and need toys.

However to learn proper manners they need constant supervision. If you haven't crate trained the pup, it isn't too late. Puppy should be in the crate whenever you leave the house and at night, this will greatly reduce destruction. And don't feel guilty about this, it isn't a punishment, dogs prefer feeling safe when you are not with them, a small space provides this feeling of safety.

Leave a chew toy in the crate at all times. You can also get a play yard, they are made for toddlers and puppies. We keep ours in the kitchen at all times and puppy goes there when we can't watch him closely, like when I'm washing dishes or running to get the mail. Limit areas puppy can be, close doors, gate off stairs or entire rooms. Keep rooms puppy can be in clean - nothing on the floor, electrical cords tied up safely and nothing on tables if puppy is tall enough to reach when standing up.

Every time you find puppy with something he shouldn't have, make a sharp noise in your throat to get his attention - he might even drop it. Exchange the item with an approved toy and give lots of praise and attention. This is not praise for being "bad," this is making the animal feel good about the toy he now has - it's called distraction. Distraction is always the better option! (10/13/2008)

By Camille

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

Do you have enough chew toys? You have to provide SOMETHING for him to chew on, and you need to have a variety, because, as you have already experienced, they get bored with one thing and move onto another! You need to find him something appropriate he would rather chew on. (10/16/2008)

By Beth

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

I would NOT do the wasabi paste. That would be cruel and harmful. The best tip is to provide lots of toys to play with and chew on, and praise pup a lot. Good luck. (10/20/2008)

By meoowmom

RE: Puppy Chews On Everything

Crate training will be a great place to start. I have a Chocolate Lab, she is crate trained. That will help with chewing when you are gone. When you are home, put up baby gates in the area you are in. That will help in keeping your dog within sight. Have plenty of toys. If you catch your dog chewing on something it's not supposed to, tell it a command such as "Leave it" or "Not yours" and give him something that is his. Look at some different Dog clicking websites. It is usually under clicker training for dogs. This would help with a lot of issues you will have with him as he gets older. Good Luck! (11/09/2008)

By Emily

Archive: Dog Chews When Left Alone

I have a black Lab and Pit Bull mix. I can't figure out how to stop her from eating up my house when I am gone.

By darledmar from Warren, MI

Feedback:

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Put her in a dog crate. The crate should be big enough for her to stand up, turn around and lie down comfortably. You can buy dog crates at Wal-mart, Kmart or maybe you can find a used one on craigslist.com or on e-bay. Most dogs get used to their crates and actually feel safer in them. Good luck (06/12/2009)

By Patty Lynn

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Yep, you need to crate. We thought we could shut my rattie in one room during the day to cut down on the chewing. We came home to shredded carpet. The vet recommended wood floors and crating. I had never crated before and so I thought it seemed cruel at first. We gave it a shot because we were desperate. Turns out Dunkin loves his crate. He goes in on his own when he thinks I'm heading out.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL (06/12/2009)

By TraceyI

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

You could try leaving a radio on and a lot of toys. I have some toys that I fill with meat, cheese, and/or dog food. I freeze these and leave for the dog's entertainment. Also, my dog is much less apt to chew if he's had a walk. Even a short walk works for him. (06/13/2009)

By mulberry204

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Walking does help some. We were already walking our rattie half an hour a day when he shredded our carpet. I was walking Dog Whisperer style, fast paced with no stops. It didn't so much help with his chewing but he did have better behavior in other areas. My Dunkin is just neurotic with the separation anxiety. No amount of toys or treats would help. Crating protects him from himself too. There is no telling how much stuff he would ingest on the loose unsupervised and our house is pretty much doggie proof. They get sneaky and creative when they have 8 hours to kill.

Tracey in Jacksonville, FL (06/13/2009)

By TraceyI

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Do marker training with a dog crate. It is so fun. Get the wire kind and not too small. See leerburg.com for more information....basically marker training is sitting by the crate and having a cut of piece of hot dog in your hand, (lots of small pieces). You say crate, and move the hot dog into the crate. When the exact moment of the dog entering the crate happens, throw down a reward (hot dog piece). This can be done as many times as there are pieces of hot dog every day. This is a fun form of training. The dog learns fast and you get to have a dog that starts to understand things.

Crate is the only way to go. They complain at first, but they have to learn you are the one in charge. It is not cruel. Hating the dog because he is a mess and turning him into the shelter is worse than teaching him boundaries.

Lots of love and good luck! Robyn (06/13/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

A reminder: crates make a dog feel successful because it controls his behavior and sets him up for success. Like while you are doing the dishes, crating him keeps him from getting told "no" all the time. Don't let whining stop you from crating they will eventually accept it. Wire crates are great. Try signing up for freecycle.org. I got a ferret cage for free on there, and ferret cages are expensive! (06/13/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Get him a large Kong Toy, stuff the inside edges with peanut butter, and freeze it. When you go out, give him the frozen Kong with peanut butter. He will stay occupied trying to lick all the peanut butter out of that Kong for a long time. I also use round marrow bones from the butcher. They love to chew on those for hours. (06/13/2009)

By Stngray

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

I was reluctant at first to use a crate for my dog when we're at my boyfriend's house, but she loves it! She goes in on her own and it helps her with her anxiety and the issues she was having. (06/15/2009)

By cowpunkgal

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

For the love of dog! Get him some toys. They work wonders. <3
    (06/16/2009)

By BenjiTheKid

RE: Dog Chews When Left Alone

Can your dog see out the windows? Mine did the same thing until I made sure she knew how to jump up on an old chair so she could see outside. Once she got the idea she quit tearing up the house. (06/26/2009)

By Karensteph

Archive: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a red nosed pit bull and she is about 9 months old. She was chewing on everything when we first got her so we used a crate. We slowly left her out for an hour at a time, and then all day. She was doing so good. Just the occasional piece of paper, and getting into the trash if we left it out. Now all of the sudden she is back to chewing, the couch, and I don't know how to make her stop. She has another dog to play with all day, so I don't think she is bored. Please help.

Thank you,
    Shawna from Benton Harbor, Michigan

Feedback:

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

All pits must have chew toys and other toys as well. They have some anxiety and this will help. also, she is getting her adult teeth and will chew things until they come in. Hope that helps. (09/26/2006)

By phylimac

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

We have five pit bulls mixed with rots and yes, they chew everything, WOOD ON THE HOUSE. The vet says they are bored. I have several toys. They chew so many; its hard to walk around them like kids toys all over the room. I spend most of my time with them. The 2 older ones now 2 are happy with anything to chew. I give them plastic water bottles. When I get them empty plastic spice bottles toys and things so they leave my furniture and other things alone

The other 3 are pups. They are 5 months old so I started giving them the plastic bottles, with snacks inside the bottles. they amuse themselves with those so much working hard to get the snacks out, that they don't chew the furniture and woodwork carpet and etc anymore. The vet said keep them busy with lots of attention or keep them just busy, but the snacks in the bottles work well for us and saved me a lot of money on what they used to chew up.

Good luck, I hope you find just the right thing to help you it does get so expensive with all they chew trust me with 5, I learned lol Let me know how it works out for ya. I have yahoo so ya can easily mail me if ya want to you can find me this way needy_reynolds wth the yahoo mail Good luck!

(09/26/2006)

By needy in Indiana

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Hi I had or have a similar problem with 1 of my mini dachshunds. The major part of it stopped when we bought them chew bones and toys to chew on. and not just little things either. Had to buy them the ones made for the large breeds. Also we tried to remove their food from the floor during non-eating times and that's when 1 re-started to chew on the legs of the table. I also as a treat give them cut up carrots, broccoli stems, raw potatoes or apples. these let them chew and are also healthy. and they love it. (10/06/2006)

By LRP Lowell, Mass.

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Wal-mart, Target, etc sells a bottle called "no chew". Just spray it on whatever they are chewing. This stuff puts a real bad taste in their mouth. I have 2 pits also. I used this stuff for the chow I used to have and it worked good on him. (09/25/2007)

By tas

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have one pitbull, she is fine whenever I am home or nearby. When she is alone while I'm at work, she will chew anything in sight. Most recently, she got into my DVD collection and chewed the cases up on a lot of good dvds.

I talked to a trainer and he said it was because of something called, "Seperation Anxiety", which would make sense because while I'm home she is not mouthy.

I used to come home and the whole room would be destroyed, and I was shocked because I Didn't see her acting like that... she is usually very very calm.

What I am doing currently is crate training her to help her get used to being by herself. Inside the crate I am putting A KONG chew toy so she can eat and learn only to chew on certain things.

If she goes near anything while she's out as if intending to chew it that isn't hers... I move her away from it, and give her a familiar toy.

`Chuck (10/19/2007)

By

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a brindle pit and she is a little bit over a year old. But my problem is I don't know how I can make her quit chewing on everything! She chews my shoes up, table legs, toys too!
    You name it this dog has chewed it up! If any one has any ideas on how to make her stop please give me advice!
    (11/12/2007)

By

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a 2 year old blond brindle pit. He is my baby, My fiance' and i rescued him at a pound about 3 months ago. We have been staying with my fiance's uncle for about a month now, he has a young white pit. He is less than a year. He started chewing on furniture- the couch,the rug, the chair- and getting into the trash..Then our pit started doing it to. He's not as bad as the younger one.. but he's much bigger and could destroy furniture.

We are about to move out and are afraid that he will continue this habit after we move. He has been caught doing it in front of people and while everyone is gone. We love him to death and he's a big sweetheart. But we are afraid we will have to get rid of him if he doesn't stop. What are we supposed to do? (01/02/2008)

By Ashley

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

This is not a problem, it is stress relief for the dog. If your dog is biting everything,
    1. HE NEEDS EXERCISE EVERY DAY! Pits need it MUCH more than most dogs, they need to run till their pooped out.
    2. They need to chew, they are dogs and that is a major part of being a pit bull dog. Huge meaty bones are the best thing to keep a pit occupied.

They have to be supervised because they can splinter if you don't pay attention. No matter how small your pit he can handle the biggest available because in a few days the bone will be much smaller than when it started. Mine will chew for up to 2 hours straight and then go to sleep for a while.

Chewing everything is frustration and it is not the dog's fault it is the owner's responsibility to a pit bull to exercise it vigorously every day. Also watch the Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo channel it will help a ton. Pits need a very strong attentive owner that can provide this exercise and mental stimulus for them every day or you will have a very frustrated dog and a very messy house, if they don't chew through it completely! (04/20/2008)

By Sam

RE: Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Puppies, no matter what breed are going to chew, they usually get out of that stage around 8-9 months. They are defiantly going to chew at 3 months. I have 2 pits and had just a few occasions where they made a small hole in the wall or chewed the corners of my coffee table. I get them these big raw hide bones from Sams Club, there are like 15 in the pack for like $10. I introduced it to them and played with it and them so they were used to it. They are the best. Also empty plastic bottle like 2 litter sodas are the best, just throw it at them and they love it. Also peanut butter.

There are some hollow bones in Target or grocery stores, place a few pieces of chicken and a whole bunch of peanut butter (it only works for one of my pits since the other one just won't eat the peanut butter unless I'm in his direct eye sight, it's weird ) now about sprays that are supposed to prevent the chewing may not help just because it's a taste that some dogs will like. At first try Tabasco sauce, it may do the trick and save you from purchasing a $10 can of spray. If not sour apple or lemon, its worth the try at least. And there is any dog chewing out crates (with an S) then you should get a metal crate and not spend the money on something they can chew through. (11/28/2009)

By yessy1019

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 19, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
    Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
    Tomatoes growing with blossom end rot.
    Blossom End Rot on Vegetables
    IRS Audit
    Dealing With an IRS Audit
    Puppy with pig ear chews.
    Homemade Dog Chews
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 11:14:45 PM on 10.0.1.6 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings