Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dealing With a Dog That Chews

It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

July 10, 2007 Flag

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think what people arent understanding about crate training, whether for chewing, house training habits or whatever that poeple, children and adults learn through trial and error.

So as long as the dog is in the crate, he does not have opportunity to do things that will please or displease his people. Apart from actually being IN the crate which is beyond his control. He is not given the choice.

We dont train our kids to do what they need to keep them safe and a harmonious household by caging them. We allow them to explore and socialize and learn while we take the time and care to watch them diligently. Small children may indeed have a playpen but they are still responsibly watched and have the company of another human being.

If you want your dog to be an active well adjusted and adequately socialized part of the whole family and feel that your home is his home how can you expect that to happen if he is not given access to it?

Dogs may come from wolves who den. Even wild dogs may find dens to sleep because it affords them more safety in the wild.

If someone's dog prefers his den/kennel to sleeping with people it is because he feels safest there. Think about that. Is that really what you want? How might he react then in places and situations where he isnt feeling entirely safe or confident?

Dogs, especially puppies prefer to sleep and be with their pack. Not banished from the pack in a crate.

I do certainly understand your concern about when you are not there. Your puppy is just a little kid and in the learning stages, accidents are bound to happen and things are bound to get wrecked. It comes with the territory while raising responsible and well adjusted dogs as well as kids.

Behavior problems are caused when the animals needs arent met. Given that they are so generous with their love isnt it fitting that we return that love by discovering what they do need and supplying that?

Puppies chew because their mouths are hurting. They are teething. Clearly there are better ways for all concerned to deal with this problem than confining the dog.

I dont mean to sound unkind, I just wish people would take steps to discover what their dogs need. And what the cause of behavioral problems are rather than just looking at ways to stop it. The only way to solve any problem without causing more problems is to discover the cause and solve it at it's source.

May 14, 2007 Flag

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA
http://www.thewildliferadio.com

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most puppies look to chew things that smell strongly of you. If they miss you while you are gone. Get them good and tired before you leave for the day. Give them a kong stuffed with peanut butter or cheese you can put a few treats in as well, if your dog destroys kongs get the black kong. If your dog is very smart and can empty a kong in no time flat put the stuffed kong in the freezer for added chalange. Clove oil would be placed on items of yours that you don't want destroyed, like your shoes, wooden table legs or chairs and desk legs. Couches, beds, and your favorite lounge chair.

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

puppy chewing on shoe

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This may have happened to you: you come home from a long day at work or a short trip to the store to find that your precious dog has demolished your favorite new shoes! I can still remember the day it happened to me. I had just gotten the cutest pair of flip-flops with a bamboo foot bed.

July 12, 2016 Flag

Our 1 year old Lab has a bad habit that he started about 3 months ago. Whenever we leave him to himself he would bite the window sill. Sometimes it happens when we are home too. Usually there is at least 1 person home, but that person doesn't pay attention to our dog, so our dog would go to the window and start to chew on it.

For the past three months it has been bite, fix, bite, fix, bite, fix... We started to wonder if we aren't fit to have a dog. We are deciding to find a better home for him, but I'm trying to hold on to the last bit of hope. I really want him to say with us, but I'm probably being selfish. He might have a better life with a better family. Please help. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog is an 80 pound pit at 8 months. Yes I know he has mastiff in him to. The only thing he tears apart is his bedding. I have a 2000 square foot house and 2 acre lot that he had full run of and plentiful of toys any suggestions

April 11, 2011 Flag

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Our male pit used to chew up everything. From cell phones to doors. We started getting him Kong toys that you can stuff food in, filling them up then freezing them. Also tennis balls that dont have a hollow inside and chucks think tires.

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

I have experienced this behavior in two dogs - one had been severely abused and one was rescued from a puppy mill. Two things that helped were:

1. Pheromone spray which helps calm the dog and prevents stress-related behavior (can be purchased at Drs. Foster & Smith.com), and 2. Always having a chew stick for them available 24/7. I use made-in-the-USA pizzle stix (also called bully sticks). These are much cheaper purchased online than at pet stores.

November 17, 2012 Flag

Why do outside dogs on a leash chew up on anything that it gets to and how can I stop it?

By L.H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How often does he get off the leash? If he is tied up all the time, the poor dog is bored to tears and is chewing out of frustration. Dogs are social animals and need attention and exercise. Take him for walks and play with him - you might find that solves the problem.

March 22, 2011 Flag

We have a Red Nose Pit Bull and we just started to notice him chewing up a lot of stuff around the house outside. We have toys and bones for him to chew on and we give him a lot of love. We are wondering if a muzzle will work for the chewing part.

By Petertink from Tehachapi, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Does he get regular exercise? Sometimes boredom causes chewing. He should have a good long walk every day.

February 18, 2016 Flag

I have a German Shepherd that is 6 months old and I have flowers that he ate, solar lights that he chewed up, and rocks and wood everything he sees! So then today he ate my patio screen sliding door, the net. I don't know what to do. So I give him a little smack on the nose everytime he does anything bad. Is that dangerous?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You are creating the possibility of turning your dog aggressive and a biter by smacking them on the nose not to mention making them head shy. Quick loud corrections either by voice or clapping your hands to stop the behavior instantly. Also giving them something else to chew on and keep them from getting bored is key. Redirecting their attention is a must. I use cow hooves for all my dogs. Safe and natural product that keeps all my dogs safe and my belongings.

February 21, 2012 Flag

My Pit is basically a year old. Today I decided to give her a test and not crate her; I was only gone for an hour and she chewed the window sill. I have two other full-grown dogs here as well, they are 5 and 7 year old Labs. Why is she still chewing and how do I correct this issue of my dog?

By Bobby

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She's still a puppy-that breed (along with most of the larger breed dogs) doesn't fully mature until around aged three.

Your Labs have already outgrown the chew stage, she hasn't. Best to crate her when you aren't there to supervise her, at least until she is three years old.

July 18, 2011 Flag

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Alone in the bedroom? Dogs are not spiteful, your dog is lonely & bored. Please walk her and give her time out in the fresh air, being locked in a room all day is bad for her. Change her toys and give her a lot of attention when you are home.

December 12, 2015 Flag

I have a 6 year old female Staffy that has only just started to chew. She has decided to start chewing through the plaster wall in my house. I have no idea why and nothing has changed around the house. She has never chewed before.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Staffy may have a medical problem that needs treatment immediately. She may need nutrients she does not get in her diet, may have a medical problem in not absorbing nutrients, etc. Much like children in poor areas who eat non-food items because they are not eating a good diet.

She will not improve so delay will just make her problem worse.

February 3, 2015 Flag

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

All dogs naturally need to chew. What they chew on can be a problem. This site from WebMD will explain chewing behavior and provide help for your puppy.

http://pets.web  ive-chewing-dogs

January 21, 2015 Flag

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Sounds like a form of separation anxiety. He handles your being away because he can't see what you're doing. When you're back, and on the phone, he sees that is what is taking attention away from him.

April 8, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

P.S. The cat used to like to sleep in it when there was no dog in it.

October 21, 2011 Flag

My dog has everything a dog can have, even more; she lives better than many Americans in this hard economic situation. My dog needs attention and love I guess every second because if not she destroys things. Every time she is left home alone when I go to pick up my son from school (just for 30 minutes), she destroys my son's bed, sheets, and pillows.

I'm scared she can hurt my two kids. I have a 13 month old baby that my dog does not like too much. Please help, I'm thinking seriously of taking her to a shelter. BTW my dog has a bed inside our home, she eats, drinks, and stays inside, because if not she gets upset, we also walk her.

By Cio R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have a bigger issue if that dog in the picture is a bulldog? With the temperament you describe the dog in the picture can surely harm your kids. I have brindle bulls and a dobie and even though they show no agressiveness to children I don't allow children to play with them. Unpredictable and i have seen what bulldogs do to the faces of children they are jealous of. The chewing up the kids beds is telling you to watch out and never leave him in the room alone with the baby.

April 8, 2016 Flag

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell. He chews glasses and through electronic wires. We've bought him chew toys. The problem is we have 2 other dogs that play with the toys. I don't know what to do, my family is ready to send him to the pound. I don't want this to happen I love this dog, but I'm frustrated.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 16, 2011 Flag

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!
Thanks!

By Sue from VA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Goodness. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I buy blankets, give old blankets to my 3 dogs outside and they tear everyone of them up. I put some old quilts out there there a few months ago and when I went back out about 30 minutes later they had torn all of the white stuff out of them and it looked like it had snowed in the back yard. A lot of times they will drag then out of their 20x10 kennel and run and play tug a war with them. I am still picking up white stuff everyday.

September 8, 2005 Flag

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
Dimps

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a Jack Russell Terrier & a yorkie...

We went thru this chewing stage..

Swat them with the swatter...

I had a can of dust remover spray near my compute when I noticed a little one chewing at my NEW couch

and was ifnored so I sprayed the dust spray and

PRESTO like magic....dogs are smart they know when

they are wrong...

We provide them many chew bones and they pull

those out of the toy bin along with toys and chew

and they are happy and we are too

Keep on them they learn usually by 3'd scolding

and I did some swatting on little bottoms nothing

too hard just to get message with newspaper or

swatter....GOOD LUCK

I found that giving them those chew bones kept

them busy and able to chew..

Our love the crate they used to sleep with us

but then I started putting them in there all night

we are home all day so they are fine and happy

....

January 20, 2016 Flag

I have a Dachshund Chihuahua Pug mix puppy with chewing and issues of running off when let out or getting out of the house without a leash. How can I get her to stop these bad behaviors?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 19, 2012
Aggressive dog in the snow.
Dealing With an Aggressive Dog
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
IRS Audit
Dealing With an IRS Audit
Puppy with pig ear chews.
Homemade Dog Chews
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 26, 2017 at 6:07:46 PM on 10.0.2.52 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.