Dealing With a Dog That Chews

A dog in a crate
It can be very frustrating when trying to find a solution for a puppy or grown dog that likes to chew on seemingly everything. This is a guide about dealing with a dog that chews.

As the owner of a overly curious and very hyper Jack Russell, I have learned how to deal with a obsessive chewer. My dog, Abby, was six weeks old when we got her. I wanted her to be an inside dog, so she pretty much had the run of the house. When we would leave the house and even when we went to bed, we would leave her out.

After she got past the regular puppy stage, we noticed she still had an obsession with getting into stuff and chewing. After work, we would come home to pillows on the floor and sometimes chewed up and things scattered everywhere. One time, she found a tiny hole in the couch and ripped it open. Shoes, socks, checkbooks, pretty much anything she could get her paws on.

Now I know you think she's probably a little terror, but she is actually a sweet and very affectionate dog. All she needed was some boundaries. We bought her a pet taxi, but it just wasn't big enough for her to stay comfortably in for long periods of time. Finally, we bought her a big, fold up kennel. You can find them at Walmart and they are not that expensive. It was big enough for her to move around in and she had food, water, and toys to entertain her while she was in there. After she got used to the kennel, things got so much better. No more tearing up and getting into things, she learned then she had her limits on what she could or could not do. Now she knows when we get ready to leave, that's where she supposed to go, and she heads towards it. She has turned out to be the best dog and a wonderful part of the household. I know not everyone has a dog that's like this, but for the ones who do this is the best solution I found.

By Heather from Stanton, KY

Read 7 Comments

Here is my tip for today. If your dog or puppy is chewing your home or your shoes for that matter anything, up, try some all natural clove oil. Rub a bit of clove oil on and watch out. No more chewing!

By Wendy Nan from Los Angeles, CA
http://www.thewildliferadio.com

Read 7 Comments

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

This may have happened to you: you come home from a long day at work or a short trip to the store to find that your precious dog has demolished your favorite new shoes! I can still remember the day it happened to me. I had just gotten the cutest pair of flip-flops with a bamboo foot bed. They barely lasted a week before the bamboo was bam! Gone.

I've heard horror stories of dogs that chewed couches and chairs, carpets and carpet pads, and even mattresses! (At least three of these happened in my family.) Teaching your dog to chew the RIGHT things instead of whatever is available can be easier than you think.

You may also need to look at why your dog is chewing, knowing the reason for the problem can help you pick the right solution.

Last but not least, dogs just like to chew. It is a way to relieve stress and work off some energy.

I have a Pit Bull that chews everything she gets her mouth around. She will chew wood toys, rugs, beds, and drywall. What kind of toys can Pits have? She chews every kind of toy I get. How can I stop her from chewing the house up?

By John

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If you buy cow hoofs they can't chew through them I have a few pit bulls myself and it works great you can find cow hoofs at a pet store or online as well

We have a Red Nose Pit Bull and we just started to notice him chewing up a lot of stuff around the house outside. We have toys and bones for him to chew on and we give him a lot of love. We are wondering if a muzzle will work for the chewing part.

By Petertink from Tehachapi, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Nope. No muzzle. Not a good idea. He needs enough exercise to exhaust his endurance and toys for hearty chewers. Ask your vet. I am sure there will be some good answers.

We have two puppies that love to chew on everything from the dining table legs, chair legs, plastic garbage bags, weights and have even destroyed the blue padding that covers the springs on a trampoline! I've tried scolding verbally, they ignore me. I tried showing them the fly swatter and smacking my hand with it, also to no avail. What can I do to stop these two from chewing everything we own up? I have thought about tabasco, but have heard that destroys their taste buds and they'll be finicky (sp) eaters after. I'm one step away from begging for help here!

Desperately,
Dimps

Puppies tend to chew on stuff because their teeth hurt. Like babies, pups go threw a teething stage. Try giving them a chew toy that's squishy or a rawhide.

Why do outside dogs on a leash chew up on anything that it gets to and how can I stop it?

By L.H.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

The reason your dog chews on everything is because you treat him as an "outside" dog. Dogs are meant to be part of a pack, that is, you and your family. He is bored and unhappy spending all his time tied up on a chain. Does he get exercise? Do you spend time playing with him, walking him? That's the answer. Time and love will cure this. Why have a dog if you are going to tie him up and leave him alone outside? Don't understand it.

My Pit is basically a year old. Today I decided to give her a test and not crate her; I was only gone for an hour and she chewed the window sill. I have two other full-grown dogs here as well, they are 5 and 7 year old Labs. Why is she still chewing and how do I correct this issue of my dog?

By Bobby

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Ae you kidding? Your Pit is still a puppy! And will behave like one until it's three years old. I once had a Great Dane who ate up my piano bench when he was one and a half years old. Sounds to me like your puppy also suffers from separation anxiety as well as teething issues.

My suggestion is to get a kong and fill it with treats when you're going to leave him in his cage for a while. Also, make sure you have pressed rawhide bones (the white knobby rawhide bones he can choke on) to give him to chew on.

You could also try an old kennel trick and turn on the radio or TV so he can hear it and not feel isolated. If you have his cage in an area where the other dogs in the house can't go I'd suggest that you move the cage so that he can see them and not feel so isolated. Give it more time for him to grow up. Good luck.

I have a year and a half old Dachshund and she is very spiteful. She is excellent for weeks alone in the bedroom when I leave and then she randomly chews something out of the blue when she has bones and toys all over the room to chew. What do I do? Please help me I need advice I am at my wits end.

By ron2011

Hi Roni:

You might want to consider leaving the TV or the radio on for your little one. Dogs really do suffer when we leave them, they are so codependent. You might want to keep it on food network something like that so she is always hearing a human voice. It does help. I have a Rat Terrier and a Jack Russell and this does help when I have to leave. My rat terrier is the one who shreds toilet paper in the bathroom or chews on my shoes. It helps to close up the closet, leave the toys and an old shirt or pair of socks with your scent will help too. Just something to keep your dog thinking about you, in a good way! Hope this helps.

Does anyone have an idea for a dog bed pad for a dog that really likes to chew? I've been using an old quilt that I have to sew back up almost every day. I've also used old packing blankets that he just chews to shreds.

By Leese from OR

A litle more about the dog. He's a 1-1/2 year old boxer and already sleeps in a crate with his brother, a 5 year old wire-haired terrier, and his kong. They sleep on the U-Haul blanket, and we throw his sleeping blanket on top of the two of them when they go to bed. Need to, the back room is still too cold for them at night. When things heat up in the summer, we leave the top blanket off. I'm afraid to just put the quilt over the top of the crate. I don't want him to destroy the blanket they sleep on top of.

My 10-month-old female Dachshund loves to chew on shoes (other things, too, but mostly shoes). We have changed our habits by ensuring that our shoes are out of reach, but it's difficult to communicate this importance to guests who visit for extended periods.

I think something that would go a long way toward training her would be to limit her "approved" chew toys list. Personally, I would like to have one (maybe two) unique toys that she knows are OK to chew on. My husband, however, seems to think she needs "stimulation," so just about every week, he brings in one or two new squeaky, bouncy, chewy things for her to play with - to the point that now we have about 15 or 20 toys (that haven't already been destroyed) to choose from.

I think this is confusing to her, giving her too many options. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions? (Note: We do have a 14-month-old male companion Doxie, too. He's been "shoe-chew-free" for about 10 months now.)

Evie

I understand that the dog chews on shoes, but it's still a pup. You have to work with them often, and if you catch them with a shoe, give them a stern 'No!'. They will soon understand, and if they are 'Shoe-free' for a day or two, give them a treat, such as a raw-hide.

My dog has everything a dog can have, even more; she lives better than many Americans in this hard economic situation. My dog needs attention and love I guess every second because if not she destroys things. Every time she is left home alone when I go to pick up my son from school (just for 30 minutes), she destroys my son's bed, sheets, and pillows.

I'm scared she can hurt my two kids. I have a 13 month old baby that my dog does not like too much. Please help, I'm thinking seriously of taking her to a shelter. BTW my dog has a bed inside our home, she eats, drinks, and stays inside, because if not she gets upset, we also walk her.

By Cio R.

Get yourself a dog crate and crate her when you leave. I have always crated my dogs. I have owned Rottweilers, and now have an Australian Cattle Dog and two Pugs. All run to their crates when they see us getting ready to leave. They hop in and I close the door.

I have the Doskosil crates like the airlines use and they actually spend time in them when they rest or play with their toys. It is not a punishment. It saves my rugs and my possessions from sharp little teeth in a bored animal. Your dog is throwing a temper tantrum because you left it home. Put its bed or better yet an old towel or comforter in the crate. That way if it gets shredded, it is no great loss.

If the dog shreds, leave it in the crate with nothing to shred. This is totally unacceptable behavior on the part of any dog.

I have a Dachshund that chews holes in all the blankets he can get his teeth into! Nothing else, just blankets. Is there anything I can spray on my blankets or any other ideas to prevent his blanket chewing? All my blankets are full of little holes!
Thanks!

By Sue from VA

My dachshund does this all the time. My vet told me she thinks they do it to sooth themselves sorta like a kid sucking his thumb. I don't even try to stop it. It's his blanket and I would not take it from him. Neither do I worry about it.

How do I break my 6 year dog, that I just adopted 5 months ago, from tearing holes in comforters. I have tried time out, making her wear the blanket around her neck because the hole fit over her head for 20 minutes, and not allowing her on the bed. Help me this is getting expensive.

By Linda

Apple vinegar sprays on comforter helps. Also to keep her from other valuables, she needs toys to chew on.

Why is my dog chewing up everything when left home?

By Djsam from Azusa, CA

I agree it is separation anxiety. I am no expert on this situation, but having had many dogs, I know that they need regular exercise several times a day, they love a schedule so they know what to expect and when to expect it. If they have a good schedule, usually you can spend some few hours away from home and not have so much anxiety. But check with your vet. Good luck.

Our 1 year old Lab has a bad habit that he started about 3 months ago. Whenever we leave him to himself he would bite the window sill. Sometimes it happens when we are home too. Usually there is at least 1 person home, but that person doesn't pay attention to our dog, so our dog would go to the window and start to chew on it.

For the past three months it has been bite, fix, bite, fix, bite, fix... We started to wonder if we aren't fit to have a dog. We are deciding to find a better home for him, but I'm trying to hold on to the last bit of hope. I really want him to say with us, but I'm probably being selfish. He might have a better life with a better family. Please help. Thanks.

This is a different situation.

Chewing on windowsills/doorframes is an obsessive behavior often caused by boredom.

Many normal dogs, however, rip open soft toys or bedding and pull the stuffing out. It's an instinctive hunting related behavior.

This is kind of gross, but- in the wild, a dog pack takes down an animal and opens the abdomen, then removes the internal organs.

You may want to just use old blankets from Goodwill for your dog. No expensive beds or cushions.

Many dogs go through life sleeping on the ground, so they don't really need beds anyway.

Our great Dane is 7 months. She stays outside during the day in a wooden kennel. She goes in the garden and chews our sprinkler pipes. How can we make her stop? We tried to close it up with a fence about a meter high. She still goes through.

By Wanda from Worcester

You've got a large breed dog which can be quite destructive. And puppies chew pretty much all the time. You're going to have to just start thinking bigger and tougher than a meter high wooden fence. Perhaps electric fencing. Wood is simply nothing to a Great Dane. They can reduce it to splinters.

Large breed dogs are not for everybody. I do not know if this is the case, but if you're having any second thoughts about being able to handle this dog when it actually grows up, please rehome the dog when it's still a puppy. It will be easier for the animal to adjust. If you're serious about this, though, stop thinking wood and start thinking wrought iron.

My 3 year old Yorkie chews his bed and blankets. He does not do this when left in the house alone, but will start when I return home, especially if I am on the phone.

By Mary J

You can seek help from your vet-they have much experience in these types of problems. Take your dog to your vet for a check to be sure there are no medical problems and discuss how to help your dog. The vet may recommend medication to help your dog improve his behavior.

I have a two year old male Pit Bull that chews on my furniture. I had bought a large cage to keep him in all day while I was at work. Then I had felt sorry for him and kept him out during the day while at work, leaving a radio on in one room and a TV in another room. He was fine for a while, but then reverted back to his destructive pattern. Then I would put him back in the cage again, then felt sorry for him, kept him out, then same pattern started all over again. I purposely have kept one piece of furniture in the house that he keeps destroying, but when I came back home today it was destroyed and I have to throw it out. Honestly I am over it! I can not take this anymore and I am torn about giving him up. Are there any meds I can give him during the day while I am out to keep him chilled and calm? Maybe I need to take some meds to deal with this!

By C.V.W.

Are you walking this dog on a regular basis? He needs one good walk, or a trip to the dog park every day. Do you take time to play with him when you are home on a regular basis? You need to be channeling the energy a energetic young dog has. If you don't have time to do so, the pattern you describe may continue.

A dog requires a consistent commitment of your time on a daily basis. If you don't have the time, look for a home for the dog that does have the time. It may take a while to find the right home, but you will be able to feel like you did the right thing by your dog. Good luck.

Our Pit is chewing everything. Where do we get Kong products; at what pet store?

By Reginald D from Detroit, MI

I think Walmart carries them too.

I have a German Shepherd that is 6 months old and I have flowers that he ate, solar lights that he chewed up, and rocks and wood everything he sees! So then today he ate my patio screen sliding door, the net. I don't know what to do. So I give him a little smack on the nose everytime he does anything bad. Is that dangerous?

You are creating the possibility of turning your dog aggressive and a biter by smacking them on the nose not to mention making them head shy. Quick loud corrections either by voice or clapping your hands to stop the behavior instantly. Also giving them something else to chew on and keep them from getting bored is key. Redirecting their attention is a must. I use cow hooves for all my dogs. Safe and natural product that keeps all my dogs safe and my belongings.

I have a 6 year old female Staffy that has only just started to chew. She has decided to start chewing through the plaster wall in my house. I have no idea why and nothing has changed around the house. She has never chewed before.

Staffy may have a medical problem that needs treatment immediately. She may need nutrients she does not get in her diet, may have a medical problem in not absorbing nutrients, etc. Much like children in poor areas who eat non-food items because they are not eating a good diet.

She will not improve so delay will just make her problem worse.

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell. He chews glasses and through electronic wires. We've bought him chew toys. The problem is we have 2 other dogs that play with the toys. I don't know what to do, my family is ready to send him to the pound. I don't want this to happen I love this dog, but I'm frustrated.

I have a Dachshund Chihuahua Pug mix puppy with chewing and issues of running off when let out or getting out of the house without a leash. How can I get her to stop these bad behaviors?

I have a red nosed pit bull and she is about 9 months old. She was chewing on everything when we first got her so we used a crate. We slowly left her out for an hour at a time, and then all day. She was doing so good. Just the occasional piece of paper, and getting into the trash if we left it out. Now all of the sudden she is back to chewing, the couch, and I don't know how to make her stop. She has another dog to play with all day, so I don't think she is bored. Please help.

Thank you,
Shawna from Benton Harbor, Michigan

Answers:

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

All pits must have chew toys and other toys as well. They have some anxiety and this will help. also, she is getting her adult teeth and will chew things until they come in. Hope that helps. (09/26/2006)

By phylimac

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

We have five pit bulls mixed with rots and yes, they chew everything, WOOD ON THE HOUSE. The vet says they are bored. I have several toys. They chew so many; its hard to walk around them like kids toys all over the room. I spend most of my time with them. The 2 older ones now 2 are happy with anything to chew. I give them plastic water bottles. When I get them empty plastic spice bottles toys and things so they leave my furniture and other things alone

The other 3 are pups. They are 5 months old so I started giving them the plastic bottles, with snacks inside the bottles. they amuse themselves with those so much working hard to get the snacks out, that they don't chew the furniture and woodwork carpet and etc anymore. The vet said keep them busy with lots of attention or keep them just busy, but the snacks in the bottles work well for us and saved me a lot of money on what they used to chew up.

Good luck, I hope you find just the right thing to help you it does get so expensive with all they chew trust me with 5, I learned lol Let me know how it works out for ya. I have yahoo so ya can easily mail me if ya want to you can find me this way needy_reynolds wth the yahoo mail Good luck!

(09/26/2006)

By needy in Indiana

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Hi I had or have a similar problem with 1 of my mini dachshunds. The major part of it stopped when we bought them chew bones and toys to chew on. and not just little things either. Had to buy them the ones made for the large breeds. Also we tried to remove their food from the floor during non-eating times and that's when 1 re-started to chew on the legs of the table. I also as a treat give them cut up carrots, broccoli stems, raw potatoes or apples. these let them chew and are also healthy. and they love it. (10/06/2006)

By LRP Lowell, Mass.

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Wal-mart, Target, etc sells a bottle called "no chew". Just spray it on whatever they are chewing. This stuff puts a real bad taste in their mouth. I have 2 pits also. I used this stuff for the chow I used to have and it worked good on him. (09/25/2007)

By tas

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have one pitbull, she is fine whenever I am home or nearby. When she is alone while I'm at work, she will chew anything in sight. Most recently, she got into my DVD collection and chewed the cases up on a lot of good dvds.

I talked to a trainer and he said it was because of something called, "Seperation Anxiety", which would make sense because while I'm home she is not mouthy.

I used to come home and the whole room would be destroyed, and I was shocked because I Didn't see her acting like that... she is usually very very calm.

What I am doing currently is crate training her to help her get used to being by herself. Inside the crate I am putting A KONG chew toy so she can eat and learn only to chew on certain things.

If she goes near anything while she's out as if intending to chew it that isn't hers... I move her away from it, and give her a familiar toy.

`Chuck (10/19/2007)

By

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a brindle pit and she is a little bit over a year old. But my problem is I don't know how I can make her quit chewing on everything! She chews my shoes up, table legs, toys too!
You name it this dog has chewed it up! If any one has any ideas on how to make her stop please give me advice!
(11/12/2007)

By

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

I have a 2 year old blond brindle pit. He is my baby, My fiance' and i rescued him at a pound about 3 months ago. We have been staying with my fiance's uncle for about a month now, he has a young white pit. He is less than a year. He started chewing on furniture- the couch,the rug, the chair- and getting into the trash..Then our pit started doing it to. He's not as bad as the younger one.. but he's much bigger and could destroy furniture.

We are about to move out and are afraid that he will continue this habit after we move. He has been caught doing it in front of people and while everyone is gone. We love him to death and he's a big sweetheart. But we are afraid we will have to get rid of him if he doesn't stop. What are we supposed to do? (01/02/2008)

By Ashley

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

This is not a problem, it is stress relief for the dog. If your dog is biting everything,
1. HE NEEDS EXERCISE EVERY DAY! Pits need it MUCH more than most dogs, they need to run till their pooped out.
2. They need to chew, they are dogs and that is a major part of being a pit bull dog. Huge meaty bones are the best thing to keep a pit occupied.

They have to be supervised because they can splinter if you don't pay attention. No matter how small your pit he can handle the biggest available because in a few days the bone will be much smaller than when it started. Mine will chew for up to 2 hours straight and then go to sleep for a while.

Chewing everything is frustration and it is not the dog's fault it is the owner's responsibility to a pit bull to exercise it vigorously every day. Also watch the Dog Whisperer on Nat Geo channel it will help a ton. Pits need a very strong attentive owner that can provide this exercise and mental stimulus for them every day or you will have a very frustrated dog and a very messy house, if they don't chew through it completely! (04/20/2008)

By Sam

Pit Bull Chewing Problem

Puppies, no matter what breed are going to chew, they usually get out of that stage around 8-9 months. They are defiantly going to chew at 3 months. I have 2 pits and had just a few occasions where they made a small hole in the wall or chewed the corners of my coffee table. I get them these big raw hide bones from Sams Club, there are like 15 in the pack for like $10. I introduced it to them and played with it and them so they were used to it. They are the best. Also empty plastic bottle like 2 litter sodas are the best, just throw it at them and they love it. Also peanut butter.

There are some hollow bones in Target or grocery stores, place a few pieces of chicken and a whole bunch of peanut butter (it only works for one of my pits since the other one just won't eat the peanut butter unless I'm in his direct eye sight, it's weird ) now about sprays that are supposed to prevent the chewing may not help just because it's a taste that some dogs will like. At first try Tabasco sauce, it may do the trick and save you from purchasing a $10 can of spray. If not sour apple or lemon, its worth the try at least. And there is any dog chewing out crates (with an S) then you should get a metal crate and not spend the money on something they can chew through. (11/28/2009)

By yessy1019

I have a black Lab and Pit Bull mix. I can't figure out how to stop her from eating up my house when I am gone.

Load More