Differences Between Standard and Miniature Dachshunds

Certain dog breeds have been bred to have two distinctive sizes; the larger a standard and the smaller a mini version. Other than size their appearance is basically the same. This is a guide about differences between standard and miniature Dachshunds.

August 2, 2010 Flag

What are the differences between standard and mini Dachshunds other than size?

By Jim

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

According to the info we got from the AKC website (this is where my dog is registered) there are no differences other than size. I don't know if you have one, but several people in our area have bought Miniature Dachshunds that they found online, or at larger flea markets where pets are also sold, and theirs look very little like Dachshunds.

Be sure to check out the AKC website, as they have much good information about many breed types, and even have listings of reputable breeders.

I was fortunate in that when I got ready for mine, we have a very reputable breeder in our area. I did pay more for my pup than some of the others paid for theirs, but I got to see both parents, a few older siblings of my pup, and got a health record, and papers needed for registration.

Best of luck to you. I have had my little Lenard for almost 3 years, and he is a wonderful friend!

Best Answer

AKC will say there are only two sizes of dachshunds; a mini which must be under 10 lbs and a full sized which can be up to 32 lbs. I personally own a 12 lbs dachshund and I as well as most people call them tweenies because they are too heavy to be miniatures but not quite full dachshund size. But appearance wise if breed properly they should look exactly alike. Full size ones chest seem larger but that is only due to size comparisons.

Go to www.dogbreedinfo.com and click on All Breeds, then find dachshunds. They say there are three varieties based on hair type and two sizes. They don't list any differences in temperament. This is a great web site for when you are just starting to research a dog breed. Good luck!

Pets Dogs Dog Breeds DachshundDecember 30, 2016
Daughters Horse Riding Daddy
Raising Girls
Miniature Crochet
Miniature Crochet Tips
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Photo of a Mini Dachshund by the water.
Dachshund Breed Information and Photos
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 2:57:12 PM on 10.0.0.113 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.