Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dog Pees in Owner's Bed

It is extremely frustrating when your dog pees on the bed. There are a few different reasons that this may occur. Knowing why your dog exhibited this behavior will help to teach her not to do it again in the future, or help you make changes to prevent this from reoccurring. This is a guide about dog pees in owner's bed.

My 9 month old female Dachshund with 1/4th Beagle keeps peeing on our couches! We take her outside often and she goes potty outside, but she's still peeing on the couches. She used to pee on the floor too, but we managed to break her of that somehow. She's even gone in our room and peed on our bed a few times. And even though she's got pee pads that she uses in her room (we gate her in the laundry room when we leave and at night) she still pees on her bed. We're at our wits end with it. Now she's taken up chewing on the walls and the closet door in the laundry room even though she's got plenty of toys and chew bones.

I would take her to the vet to make sure there are no physical issues. If not, I would invest in obedience classes.

Try your best to catch her mid-stream and make a loud sound and quickly move her to where it is okay to urinate.

Your post made me remember one Christmas (I was in my teens) and I got a beautiful mohair scarf and ran over to show it to my neighbor. While we talked her dachshund, Peter Von Wartenburg, ate it. Yes it eventually passed; and no she did not offer to return it. I have known a few doxies since then, and they all can be a little devilish. Eating socks, underwear (and scarves) seems to be one of their favorite things. And they can be stubborn, and they are easily bored. They are very bright dogs with a pretty good energy level. Every one I have known has been loved to pieces by their owner in spite of the naughtyness. If I were you I would make sure your girl gets regular walks and attention from you. Find something she likes to do, chasing balls, running an agility course, etc. Be careful of things that stress her back. They are prone to disc problems. Steps up to the bed etc. will help. You could consider crating her if she is acting up while you are gone. She'll be worth it all.

I have a male Cocker Spaniel who is 8 yrs old. Everytime I have clean sheets he always finds a way and pees on my side of the bed. I don't know when he does it. I never catch him in the act, but he only pees on my side of the bed and I need some help on finding out why. (Thank god for my mattress waterproof cover!)

Dogs go on the bed because they smell your scent and want to be near you. You need to change this behavior. You might need a trainer. The dog cannot come into your bed unless he relieves himself the way he is supposed to.

I've been using the same soap but I do use fabric softener.....he is punished at the moment meaning I don't allow him in my room I leave his bed in the living room and don't know if he try's getting on when I'm asleep but I never see him on my bed when I wake up so so far it's going good

I had a feeling it had to be something like this....he is such a baby when it comes to me ...and he does relieve his self the way he suppose to every night

March 2, 2017 Flag

Our 4 year old Staffy started peeing on the owner's bed. She only does it now and then. She goes out to the toilet during the nite.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure a vet checks her out to make sure there are no physical causes for this. If not, maybe your dog is missing you, and that's why he is doing this on the bed, which has your scent.

Have there been any changes to your schedule? A new baby? New pets in the house? A move?

i just answered this same question for someone else! While a vet and changes in routine are always things to consider, also look for other,less obvious reasons. new detergents, perfumes; something outside the room scaring the animal (squirrels,raccoons,etc).

March 14, 2016 Flag

I have an about 2 year old Shih Tzu girl, who is puppy pad trained. But it seems she's wanting to pee in our bed and also the bed of the people we live with. I've tried cleaning the bed with a shampooer it didn't work. I've tried scolding her. She does it more then. It seems she was doing it when we weren't home much. Now she will do it behind my back while I'm laying in the bed. Can anyone help?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take her to potty training might be helpful

Your dog may have a urinary tract infection or another medical problem that needs immediate treatment. Please take her to your vet for evaluation and help.

Hi, i am having this same problem with my shih tzu a girl as well last night on me i was shocked i dont know what to do have you found out anything that can help alsi her potty training is not good either she is 11 months old

September 26, 2016 Flag

My 1 year old Dachshund has just peed on my bed, she sleeps in it also. She was in season 2 weeks ago and did it on the guest bed. She sometimes does it indoors. She was only trained to go outside a couple of months ago, as she always went on a pad and she was brilliant and learnt in a few days.

She was my granddaughter's dog, but I looked after her all week and she went home at weekends. My granddaughter has now given her to me as she felt it wasn't fair on her. I also lost my husband at Christmas, so I do cry a lot. I am worried that Daisy is suffering and that is why and need your advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Any kind of newly trained behavior (going outside) will have its' setbacks. It's just part of the process. It sounds like it is time to go over the lesson again in a calm and patient way. Also it is time to have your dog spayed. The cycling hormones can be distracting to her and may make her new training less likely to "stick". Spaying at an early age also protects your dog from several cancers and other diseases.

Unless you are a licensed breeder and this dog is pedigreed with papers and award-winning parents, have her spayed. Unaltered dogs are more likely to "go" indoors after puberty.

Your emotional state does most certainly affect your dog. Anxiousness or worry about your sadness upsets the dog. Dogs are very sensitive creatures and bred for many generations to be in tune with their owner's moods.

I'm not saying that to make you feel bad, it's just that whenever a dog learns something new, nervousness or being upset can cause them to revert.

I'd suggest just continue training like you would a puppy. Reward for good outdoor behavior. Take her out frequently to try. And get that spay done soon.

My dog pees on all the bedsame. I have another dog but they both Sleep with me. I want to know why she does this.

We have a 3 year old, female Boston Terrier/Pug. She has peed in our bed twice now, during the middle of the night, and has "never" done this before. She is let out all the time, all day/night. We let her out each night before bed, and like I said, this has never been an issue.

She acts like she knows she's been naughty, when she sees us stripping the bed. Nothing has changed in her environment. I am home with her (and our other Boston/pug) all day. We have had her the whole time, since she was a puppy. She gets a ton of love, and plays all the time with the other dog. She has been spayed for 2 years.

By Suzie S.

Answer Was this helpful? 2

Please have her urine checked by your vet. Could be U.T.I, or diabetes, or some other infection. My old 14 year old dog has incontinence and is on Proin but yours sounds too young to have this.

Good Luck

My boyfriend's dog, T, is 5 years old. Last week, while we were ripping up carpet in the guest bedroom, T suddenly peed on the carpet. He's never done this before, ever. He always scratches on the door when he needs out. Last night after some late romancing, my bf & I went downstairs to get a snack. T stayed upstairs (he usually follows instantly). When we got back upstairs, T had peed on my bf's pillow. I read what you wrote above, but I'm not sure how to interpret what T is doing. In both instances, he had been outside not that long before. He hasn't been neglected or left alone. He's a happy dog, & my bf is his favorite person in the world...

June 2, 2016 Flag

I am having a problem with my 8 year old mini Yorkie urinating for the first time on my and my boyfriend's bed. We first thought it was our sausage dog. Then tonight he came through with me to the kitchen to get something and walked straight passed his potty pad onto his bed and urinated and walked back through to the kitchen.

The other dog and his bed wasn't there, but I wasn't even putting him in there. He has never done this before, but they both had been in trouble for urinating on the bed. We have been building for a long time so I don't know if it's because of that stress?

Please help.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Stress can cause this. Try keeping the bedroom door closed for a while. Construction is very stressful to pets.

I want to know why the dog pees on the bed even though he has been outside enough times to relieve himself. He was given to me from someone who had him in a dog crate most of the time. He knows he is supposed to go outside and seems housetrained already.

By Lori from West Haven, CT

Two possibilities: Could be a medical reason such as a bladder infection. If you have eliminated that possibility, it is most likely territorial marking, just like dogs do when they lift their leg outside. Even females will mark with urine. You either have to figure out why the dogs feels the need to mark your bed ( is for example, a new person sleeping in the bed?) If you cannot change the factor that is causing the dog to mark your bed with urine, the only option is to restrict access to the bed. Keep the door to the bedroom closed unless you or someone else is in the room. The dog will probably not pee on the bed unless he is alone. If, on the other hand, you see him doing it, correcting him at that time might help.

What do you consider "correcting him"?

January 30, 2015 Flag

My 2 year old Lab peed on our bed where she sleeps. This has never happened before. She would always bark and let me know to be taken out. I am shocked.

By Shahnaz

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 7 year old neutered Papillion mix has started peeing on my bed. He never did this before. Why has he started doing this? He has no bladder problems.

By Beverly from Campbellsport, WI

Hi Beverly, Whenever a dog's behavior suddenly changes like your describing, there's two places to start looking before anything else.

1) Medical: you say he doesn't have any bladder problems, are you absolutely sure? Have you had his urine checked by a vet? With a urination behavior, medical problems always have to officially ruled out first.

2) If that isn't the issue, then I would look at what has changed since this behavior started? Work schedule, house guests, someone moving in or out, stress or other problems within the home.

Think hard about the possibilities of what it could be. Dogs just don't suddenly begin peeing inside the home for no good reason! I'm interested to hear your comments.

All the best, Cabinfever.

we got a kitten 6 weeks ago and the dog has peed in my spot two days in a row. let me guess...he's pissed about the cat,

April 11, 2014 Flag

I got this pitbull from my father. She is a wonderful dog, but when it comes to potty time I don't get it. I take her on walks, and she goes out side, and now she thinks it's OK to poop and pee on my bed. What can I do to get her to stop? I need help.

By Nelly R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 13, 2014 Flag

Please can you tell me why every now and then my male Chihuahua pees on my husband/s bed. He's 7 years old and a bit sulky. We have a 12 year old and a 2 year old as well.

By Susan R.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 24, 2013 Flag

We have a 3 year old American Staffordshire Bull Terrior that has been urinating on all the beds in our apartment, on and off since he was a puppy. He goes through phases. He goes from being good with no peeing, then all of a sudden start peeing on our beds right in front of us.

Nothing has changed. We give him tons of love and attention, and we bring him out all day and night to do his business. I've had it! My boyfriend and I fight over it. I say keep him off the bed, but he feels it's a losing battle. Please someone help!

By Renee

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 29, 2013
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 27, 2017 at 11:36:45 PM on 10.0.0.212 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.