Domestic Shorthair Cat Information and Photos

The domestic shorthair is not an actual breed, but rather a mixed breed cat with short sleek hair. Due to its mixed ancestry their behavioral characteristics are difficult to predict. This is a guide about domestic shorthair cat information and photos.

Showing 29 Articles of 67 Total

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

December 9, 2015 Flag

Your Pet's Age
2 yrs

Your Pet's Breed
Domestic Shorthair

How and when did you get your pet?
Rambo chose us. He was a tiny stray working his charm and waltzing in and out of 3 homes on our block. We couldn't really take in anymore pets at the time so we all hid from each other the fact that each of us had been secretly feeding him and bringing him in the house to sleep. Eventually, the truth came out and we discovered he had been playing us all plus 2 other homes. After a few months of him coming and going, one day he just stayed and decided he no longer wanted to bounce around. We were glad he stayed. We are his family now. This is his forever home. This is where he belongs.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Rambo is a giant kitten. He loves to hide from the other pets and jump out right as they are unknowingly passing by him in his hiding spot. They catch quite a bit of air as they jump from him startling them. It never gets old to watch.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
When Rambo walked into our lives we already had our hands full with the pets we had before him. We didn't think we could take in another one. But we weren't able to say no to him. We had room in our hearts and we made room in our home for him. He had us at hello. Besides, Rambo wasn't going to take no for answer. When he decided this is where he was going to stay, we were glad.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes
Read 6 Comments

January 11, 2017 Flag

Your Pet's Age
12

Your Pet's Breed
DSH

How and when did you get your pet?
I got him from the RSPCA when he was about 18 months old.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He likes to eat and sleep.

I brought home some fruit from the market in this cardboard box a week ago and it's been cluttering up the floor of my kitchen since, because it's become Oscar's favourite day (and night) bed since it arrived. I just have to wait for him to get sick of it.

CommentLike this photo?Like? Yes
Read 1 Comment

December 4, 2014 Flag

Your Pet's Age
3

Your Pet's Breed
Domestic Shorthair

How and when did you get your pet?
A co-worker found him after he was kicked across a room and thrown out a window. She knew my wife and I rescued cats so she brought him to us. We helped him heal, mostly with love and patience because he has PTSD.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Chases his own tail, loves to bite my toes when I'm sleeping and shadows his "big brother" wherever he goes!

He is a miracle!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

February 15, 2016 Flag

I just had to laugh while exercising and I turned around and saw Annie sitting on our couch with her leg up. Maybe she was trying to do exercises too?

Annie Exercising???

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 10, 2013 Flag

Tinka was the last kitten in the litter. She had a heart murmur and nobody wanted her. We took her home with us in 2003 and we love her to bits.

Cat in box.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 9, 2009 Flag

Isis is just over one year old Domestic Shorthair cat. We got her from a farm in the next county. I picked her because she is almost identical to my dog Lily.

Isis (Domestic Shorthair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 28, 2010 Flag

Gidget is a 3 year old Domestic Short Hair cat. Gidget was an abandoned kitten that I rescued when she was only 8 weeks old. She was dumped along our road along with another kitten. They stayed together until the other kitten ventured off.

Gidget (Domestic Short Hair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 19, 2016 Flag

I saw her online from my local Humane Society and she had been relocated to a pet store as a last ditch effort to get adopted. She adored basking in the sun and cuddling, that was complete fun for her.

cat sitting on upholstered formal couch

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 4, 2010 Flag

Harry (Domestic Short Hair)

CommentPin It!Like this photo?Like? Yes

Harry is a 4 year old Domestic Short Hair Cat. I was boarding Harry and his brother Bert for my nephew. Nephew's dog didn't like Bert - tried to kill him. I refused to give the cats back to him. He was happy about it.

November 27, 2009 Flag

China Girl is a 16 year old Domestic short hair cat. I obtained China Girl 14 years ago as a rescue. Her former owner was moving and unable to take her. China Girl was suppose to be put to sleep the day I got her.

China Girl (Domestic Shorthair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 29, 2014 Flag

Our rescue kitty, Juan, is delighted with his new toy. A friend brought it back from a trip to South America.

Juan (Cat)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 9, 2011 Flag

Tigger is a 2 year old domestic cat. My Tigger was born on August 5, 2009. He was born under my bed and was the loudest kitten I have ever heard in my life!

An orange cat sleeping in a crib.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 21, 2011 Flag

Belle is our year old short hair domesticated cat. We adopted her from the animal shelter in our town. She will chase anything that moves, eat bugs, and hiss at my husband.

Belle (Domestic Short Hair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 17, 2016 Flag

We adopted Ibby from a cat rescue when he was 8 weeks old. Ibby loved cat nip, food, purring and kissing Mommy. He also sat up on his back legs to look around, like a prairie dog. Running laps at 4 a.m. was his exercise and he did it with gusto!

cat with light saber

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 21, 2009 Flag

Gracie is a 4 year old Domestic Shorthair cat. We found her behind a dumpster in 2007. She likes to sleep and eat all the time. She is so lovable.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 22, 2015 Flag

She was born about a week ago.

gray and black cat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 17, 2010 Flag

Peppermint Patty is 5 years young. She is a domestic short hair, black and white, beauty and full of the devil. I saw her on the internet at a local rescue in Smyrna, DE.

Peppermint Patty

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 13, 2013 Flag

Local barn cat that was looking for work...

Tabby cat.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 29, 2015 Flag

I found her on my doorstep, pregnant and scared. She likes to stay as close to me as possible! I love her!

gray and white cat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 17, 2016 Flag

We joke that we bought a cat and got a free house. The previous owners were going to "dispose of him", but look at that face? He was only about a year old and sneezing blood on the back door window so off to the vet he went for a full exam. We had him fixed and de-wormed. He was immunized and moved indoors.

Bubba Dump (Domestic Short Hair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 30, 2015 Flag

I got him about 11-1/2 years ago, I saw Ping's picture on Petfinder. I drove 2-1/2 hours and arrived at the rescue shelter. After holding and playing with him for a few minutes, I felt an instant bond. I adopted him and he is a wonderful addition to our family.

Ping as Bond

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 16, 2012 Flag

My son and his cat are practically inseparable and I'm always taking pictures of them. This morning my son woke up and Tigger immediately got in the bed to snuggle. The sun was hitting them just right and I couldn't resist taking this picture!

A boy lying with his orange cat, Tigger.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2016 Flag

Toothless and his brother Torch (both names from "How to Train Your Dragon" TV show) were found as 6-week-old kittens in a McDonald's parking lot on a rainy cold October day. They were vetted, neutered, and now enjoy life on our farm as mousers and pets.

Toothless a black cat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2010 Flag

Briquette (Brie) is a Four month old Domestic Shorthair. I fostered her and her siblings from the Wisconsin Humane Society. They were feral and she was the pick of the litter.

Briquette (Domestic Shorthair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 1, 2011 Flag

This is Bella, my 6 year old kitty. I went to a local shelter and she was about 2 months old, a tiny little thing (hard to believe I know, lol). She was found at about 6 weeks old alone in a park.

Bella (Domestic Shorthair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 22, 2010 Flag

Salem is 4-5 months old. He is a Domestic Short Hair. Salem came to live with us at the end of September. We rescued him from the side of the road! He loves chasing his tail and anything else that moves!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 30, 2015 Flag

My husband found Frankie and his two siblings at a foreclosed house when they were about 4 weeks old. Frankie likes to torment people and animals! He has an inquisitive, fun-loving nature and is perpetually in a "terrible two's" stage. He chases anything that moves and seems to find wonder in everything.

tabby colored short hair cat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 9, 2011 Flag

PNut and Tommy are 1 year and 5 months old domestic shorthairs, respectively. We rescued both of these, and they have grown to love one another.

PNut and Tommy, Cats Sleeping Together

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 9, 2010 Flag

Noiry Guy is 7 years old. He is a Domestic Shorthair. He was rescued by our grandchildren and then given to us. He likes to entice the dog to chase him

Guy Noir (Domestic Shorthair)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Cats Cat BreedsJune 27, 2013
Exotic Shorthair Kitten
Exotic Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
Tabby Cat
Tabby Breed Information and Photos
German Shorthair Pointer
German Shorthair Pointer Breed Information and Photos
British Shorthair
British Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 21, 2017 at 6:28:35 PM on 10.0.2.108 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.