Domestic Shorthair Cat Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
The domestic shorthair is not an actual breed, but rather a mixed breed cat with short sleek hair. Due to its mixed ancestry their behavioral characteristics are difficult to predict. This is a guide about domestic shorthair cat information and photos.

Showing 39 Articles of 69 Total

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photographs. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Your Pet's Age
2 yrs

Your Pet's Breed
Domestic Shorthair

How and when did you get your pet?
Rambo chose us. He was a tiny stray working his charm and waltzing in and out of 3 homes on our block. We couldn't really take in anymore pets at the time so we all hid from each other the fact that each of us had been secretly feeding him and bringing him in the house to sleep. Eventually, the truth came out and we discovered he had been playing us all plus 2 other homes. After a few months of him coming and going, one day he just stayed and decided he no longer wanted to bounce around. We were glad he stayed. We are his family now. This is his forever home. This is where he belongs.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
Rambo is a giant kitten. He loves to hide from the other pets and jump out right as they are unknowingly passing by him in his hiding spot. They catch quite a bit of air as they jump from him startling them. It never gets old to watch.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
When Rambo walked into our lives we already had our hands full with the pets we had before him. We didn't think we could take in another one. But we weren't able to say no to him. We had room in our hearts and we made room in our home for him. He had us at hello. Besides, Rambo wasn't going to take no for answer. When he decided this is where he was going to stay, we were glad.

Comment Like this photo? 11

Thank you.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

Your Pet's Age
15 years old

Your Pet's Breed
Domestic Shorthair

How and when did you get your pet?
We got Cupcake in 2005 as a rescue, she was a few years old at the time. She came straight up to my 1 year old daughter to get some love, so I knew she was the perfect cat for our family.

She is the sweetest cat! I decided to spoil her recently and found the perfect set of "black cat" bowls for her (see photo). Cupcake is black cat purrrrfection with her new bowls!

She is annoyed by our other cats and chooses to stay in our bedroom, like her own personal apartment. She purrs a lot and loves to stand on your chest so that you can't see the TV.

Comment Like this photo? 2

I love cats but especially black cats!

Love the bowls.

Reply Like this photo? Yes

tan tabby

A co-worker found him after he was kicked across a room and thrown out a window. She knew my wife and I rescued cats so she brought him to us. We helped him heal, mostly with love and patience because he has PTSD.

Annie Exercising???

I just had to laugh while exercising and I turned around and saw Annie sitting on our couch with her leg up. Maybe she was trying to do exercises too?

Cat in box.

Tinka was the last kitten in the litter. She had a heart murmur and nobody wanted her. We took her home with us in 2003 and we love her to bits.

Isis (Domestic Shorthair)

Isis is just over one year old Domestic Shorthair cat. We got her from a farm in the next county. I picked her because she is almost identical to my dog Lily.

Harry (Domestic Short Hair)

Harry is a 4 year old Domestic Short Hair Cat. I was boarding Harry and his brother Bert for my nephew. Nephew's dog didn't like Bert - tried to kill him. I refused to give the cats back to him. He was happy about it.

Gidget (Domestic Short Hair)

Gidget is a 3 year old Domestic Short Hair cat. Gidget was an abandoned kitten that I rescued when she was only 8 weeks old. She was dumped along our road along with another kitten. They stayed together until the other kitten ventured off.

China Girl (Domestic Shorthair)

China Girl is a 16 year old Domestic short hair cat. I obtained China Girl 14 years ago as a rescue. Her former owner was moving and unable to take her. China Girl was suppose to be put to sleep the day I got her.

Zero the Remote Stealer - cat with remote control

Zero frequently sits like this and my husband couldn't help but put a remote control on him. :) He is a very large cat, weighing over 20 lbs, so we lovingly refer to him as the cow cat!

An orange cat sleeping in a crib.

Tigger is a 2 year old domestic cat. My Tigger was born on August 5, 2009. He was born under my bed and was the loudest kitten I have ever heard in my life!

Juan (Cat)

Our rescue kitty, Juan, is delighted with his new toy. A friend brought it back from a trip to South America.

Oscar (Domestic Shorthair Cat) - cat in a box on the floor

I got him from the RSPCA when he was about 18 months old. I brought home some fruit from the market in this cardboard box a week ago and it's been cluttering up the floor of my kitchen since, because it's become Oscar's favourite day (and night) bed since it arrived. I just have to wait for him to get sick of it.

Belle (Domestic Short Hair)

Belle is our year old short hair domesticated cat. We adopted her from the animal shelter in our town. She will chase anything that moves, eat bugs, and hiss at my husband.

Gracie is a 4 year old Domestic Shorthair cat. We found her behind a dumpster in 2007. She likes to sleep and eat all the time. She is so lovable.

gray and black cat

She was born about a week ago.

Peppermint Patty

Peppermint Patty is 5 years young. She is a domestic short hair, black and white, beauty and full of the devil. I saw her on the internet at a local rescue in Smyrna, DE.

Ping as Bond

I got him about 11-1/2 years ago, I saw Ping's picture on Petfinder. I drove 2-1/2 hours and arrived at the rescue shelter. After holding and playing with him for a few minutes, I felt an instant bond. I adopted him and he is a wonderful addition to our family.

cat with light saber

We adopted Ibby from a cat rescue when he was 8 weeks old. Ibby loved cat nip, food, purring and kissing Mommy. He also sat up on his back legs to look around, like a prairie dog. Running laps at 4 a.m. was his exercise and he did it with gusto!

cat sitting on upholstered formal couch

I saw her online from my local Humane Society and she had been relocated to a pet store as a last ditch effort to get adopted. She adored basking in the sun and cuddling, that was complete fun for her.

Tabby cat.

Local barn cat that was looking for work...

gray and white cat

I found her on my doorstep, pregnant and scared. She likes to stay as close to me as possible! I love her!

A boy lying with his orange cat, Tigger.

My son and his cat are practically inseparable and I'm always taking pictures of them. This morning my son woke up and Tigger immediately got in the bed to snuggle. The sun was hitting them just right and I couldn't resist taking this picture!

Bella (Domestic Shorthair)

This is Bella, my 6 year old kitty. I went to a local shelter and she was about 2 months old, a tiny little thing (hard to believe I know, lol). She was found at about 6 weeks old alone in a park.

Bubba Dump (Domestic Short Hair)

We joke that we bought a cat and got a free house. The previous owners were going to "dispose of him", but look at that face? He was only about a year old and sneezing blood on the back door window so off to the vet he went for a full exam. We had him fixed and de-wormed. He was immunized and moved indoors.

Briquette (Domestic Shorthair)

Briquette (Brie) is a Four month old Domestic Shorthair. I fostered her and her siblings from the Wisconsin Humane Society. They were feral and she was the pick of the litter.

Nemo Domestic Shorthair

Nemo is an 8 year old domestic shorthair. We got Nemo when he was a kitten in 2002. He sleeps a lot, but sometimes he gets playful. He likes to sleep with my sister and I (mostly with me) at night.

Salem is 4-5 months old. He is a Domestic Short Hair. Salem came to live with us at the end of September. We rescued him from the side of the road! He loves chasing his tail and anything else that moves!

PNut and Tommy, Cats Sleeping Together

PNut and Tommy are 1 year and 5 months old domestic shorthairs, respectively. We rescued both of these, and they have grown to love one another.

tabby colored short hair cat

My husband found Frankie and his two siblings at a foreclosed house when they were about 4 weeks old. Frankie likes to torment people and animals! He has an inquisitive, fun-loving nature and is perpetually in a "terrible two's" stage. He chases anything that moves and seems to find wonder in everything.

Guy Noir (Domestic Shorthair)

Noiry Guy is 7 years old. He is a Domestic Shorthair. He was rescued by our grandchildren and then given to us. He likes to entice the dog to chase him

Tabby and black and white cats looking at camera.

Mr. Black, with his brother Tiger, came one stormy Halloween night and never left. Mr. Black and Tiger are about 9 years old. They were half grown teenagers who moved in taking over our lives.

Annie Fanny (Domestic Shorthair)

Annie showed up starving and pregnant at our farmhouse and we took her in.

Toothless a black cat

Toothless and his brother Torch (both names from "How to Train Your Dragon" TV show) were found as 6-week-old kittens in a McDonald's parking lot on a rainy cold October day. They were vetted, neutered, and now enjoy life on our farm as mousers and pets.

orange cat laying on back

I inherited Friskie Fuzziebutt's pregnant mother, Iggie Moe, when my parents passed away 18 hours apart. Iggie Moe was obviously pregnant and my parents took Iggie Moe and her sister in as strays. Friskie Fuzziebutt meows funny, like she calls me ma-ma and my husband da-da! She's a snuggler!

short hair cat with tabby coloration

Romeo was a rescue with his siblings. I just screened in my back porch so Romeo could enjoy being outside safely. He really enjoys just sitting outside observing all the nature around him. A lot like his mum.

Cat Cat is 8 in human years and a Domestic Short Hair. He was part of the family I live with. He likes to explore the great outdoors. He also loves water and playing in the tub after I have taken a shower.

Tia (Domestic Shorthair)

Tia is an 8 year old short hair domestic feline. When my husband and I got married we decided to adopt a kitten from the Humane Society.

Cat sitting on chair massage insert unit.

Annie showed up at our door, starving and pregnant over two years ago.

Load More