Donating Craft Supplies

You can share of all kinds of your unused crafting supplies to assisted living, childcare centers, churches and other nonprofit organizations. This is a guide about donating crafting supplies.

I am a big-time crafter with yarns. I do crochet, knit, and plastic canvas, and some latch hook. Basically if it has to do with yarn I do it. Which means I always have a huge amount of yarn here, and I also have well over 100 pattern books and pattern leaflets too.

I have put it in my will that all of my crafting materials are to go to an adult care center or a nursing home. Whichever one that will take it. I didn't specify a particular place because their situation may change and they may not be able to take it.

But this way I know that all my years worth of collecting this stuff won't go to waste when I die. And since I don't have any family to leave it to, I know that someone will get it and appreciate it.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

Another group to leave your craft supplies to is your local Girl Scout troop.

Has anyone ever thought about what will happen to all of our craft things when we die? It's kind of a morbid thing to think about, I know, but has anyone ever thought about it? I did, and actually put it into my will what I want done with it.

Like most of us, I have tons of craft things. In my case it's bins and bins full of yarns of all kinds, plus I'd say I have at least 4-500 pattern books (that's not including all the ones I have on flash drives that I've downloaded. That must be at least another 5-600!). Plus all the doodads that go with it, crochet hooks, knitting needles, stitch counters, stitch markers, and rulers. I'm sure everyone knows what-all else!

Anyway, I put it into my will for all my craft supplies to go to the local "old folks home". I'm sure the ladies (and some of the men too) would love to have it. They could craft to their hearts content!

By Cricket from NC

An excellent idea! This would also apply to all my reference books and to all my genealogy research. I have already written a "genealogy will" designating that it should all be kept together and what to do with it if the family does not desire to keep it. There are many places out there that would be more than willing to take craft and sewing supplies!

When I was art director for Bible School, I would setup boxes in the schools with the request they ask parents before donating, and they would dump their old supplies in the last day of school.

This was wonderful for our art projects, the glue bottles would be filled from our gallons of glue purchased; pencils, erasers, colors, markers, even scissors, rulers could be sorted and some things sent off to missions as school supplies.

A "TWOFER" recycle. This would be our supply of colors through out the year, you could make things with the spent crayons, shaving them, etc.

By Grandma J from Benson, MN

Remember to recycle your art/craft supplies. After my mother died, we donated all her craft materials to the Girl Scouts & they were very happy to get them to use in their summer programs!

Fabric

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When cleaning out your fabric stash, consider donating the fabric you can't use to charity. This is a guide about donating fabric to charity.

Teachers spend so much of their own money on materials for the classes. They are always happy to receive old magazines and used craft items. Color books have so many uses for children's crafts, especially seasonal type of pictures.

Donate your craft items that you know you won't use to a local shelter workshop. Many shelter workshops do not have work for the clients to do on a consistent basis, yet they still need something to do while there.

I have a lot of scrapbooking supplies that I am looking to donate to a good cause that will get some use out of them. Any ideas of any in the central Minnesota area?

Mental Health centres would be a good idea. Here is one in Central Minn. Here is the link though I do not know whether they accept those sorts of donations: http://cmmhc.org/?page_id=34

And honestly, schools are woefully underfunded at this stage of things. Near where I live there's a tiny, nonprofit pre K Learning Centre, and they always love to get good quality art supplies.

The RONALD MCDONALD Hous in your area is always happy to receive scrapbooking supplies!

battered womens shelters..... school etc ... churches for their crafts

I make beaded necklaces and earrings. I have a number of beads I know I will never use and would like to donate them. These are good quality beads made from glass and stone. Any suggestions?

Any nursing or assisted living facility would love to have them. The older ladies love making jewelry.

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll try that.

I make memory wire bracelets and other little bracelets to not only go in shoe boxes at Xmas but to go to orphanages in South Africa. This helps my manual dexterity which is affected by my multiple sclerosis. I have personally seen the happiness on some of the children's faces. Would be grateful to receive any beads thankyou

I have craft kits that have all the the necessary parts. I need a place to donate them. I have kits for a stamped cross stitch tree shirt and pot holders, some latch hook large seasonal banners, felt gift card and ornaments, bubble beads for making coasters and a napkin holder, and plastic canvas for coasters and ornaments.

You could also try your local elementary school or homeschool group. :) I love the homeless shelter idea the best from Sandi though.

The seniors at my Center would love to have them. Please contact me program starts in three weeks 303-476-3629

Where can I donate craft items such as ribbon etc?

I am downsizing and have some craft supplies to purge - stuffed animal patterns, felt, fabric, pipecleaners, etc. I do not have large quantities of anything, but would love to donate what I have to anyone in the Minneapolis area who could put them to use.

A school or Sunday School would love to have these. Teachers spend many of their own dollars to buy craft and educational supplies from their own pockets so any donation helps. You'ld be amazed how resourceful teachers can be to use any odd thing.

If anyone has GREETING CARDS or CALENDARS they'd like to see put to good use, I would be delighted to receive them. I'm an environmental educator and teach repurposed workshops to kids of all ages! Send to: Casey, Earth Inspired Crafts and Education, PO Box 1981, Allen, TX 75013-1981. Thank you SO MUCH!

I have a ton of yarn (various colors, types, sizes) that I am willing to give to a worthy local charity. Please contact me with a brief description of your need, who your charity benefits and where you are located.

Thanks.

If you don't hear from anyone, please go online and look for the local chapter of Project Linus. They make blankets for children in need (our chapter makes blankets for homeless children) children in disaster situations and hospitals. They are always willing to accept donated yarn or fabric. I personally crochet my donations and love knowing it goes to a child who may need a little comfort at a difficult time. This is one of the baby afghans I made recently with all donated yarn.

We make hats for new borns and give them to the local hospitals. . We are in Lexington , ky

You can find most of what you need here. http://www.croc  rg/?page=charity

If not, locate your local volunteers who make hats and blankets for preemies or those angels who didn't survive long or at all. I hope you find what you needed. PBP

I live in the Minneapolis, Minnesota area and am in the process of purging my yarn stash. I have quite a bit of sock weight yarn (leftovers from previous projects) as well as other weight yarns. I would like to donate this yarn to someone who will put it to good use; teaching knitting or crochet, or making items for this who in need to be given away free of charge. Anyone interested?

P.S. The yarn in the photo is just part of the stash.

By Pam M.

Thanks fourlittlesheep for the link! But I've already found a home for this stash, I will keep it in mind when I need to purge again.

Contact your local Senior Citizen's group. Ours has several 'clubs' inside there that do group crafts. They have a small store inside the center where they sell their merchandise.

I could use the yarn if it's still available. I work at the Youth/Elder Center for our community and we are in need of arts & crafts supplies of all kinds. Thanks in advance.

I have fabric, yardage as well as remnants, and yarn of varying types, fancy to basic, and would like to donate. I also have doll making supplies, heads, bodies, hair, etc. I have inherited these craft supplies and would like to donate in the Bakersfield, Visalia, Fresno, California area. Any suggestions?

By Theresa T.

You might consider donating your "stash" to a senior center, boy's and girl's clubs, homeless shelter, etc., in your area.

Quilters and knitters who make goods for others would welcome your yard and fabric ends. For the remainder, why not post an advertisement on kijiji or Craigslist?

A local Brownie or Girl Scout troop would be great. Back in the dark ages when I was a Brownie and Scout our leaders had to beg for this sort of thing. Another place you might try is your local middle school. I used to sub for a school district in Houston and I found that the art teachers prayed for stashes such as yours.

All that stuff takes years to acquire and it is sheer heaven to have it dumped in your lap by a kind hearted soul.

I have about a truck load of material/fabric to get rid of. My mother-in-law passed and one whole room is full. I also have knitting needles, quilting supplies, and anything for sewing and crafting I'm sure she has. I will donate to a good cause or sell really cheap.

Where do you live? If you are computer savvy, you can put the whole lot on Craigslist and make a little money. Or, donate to the local nursing home, sewing guild, or look at the local charity places around your town and do a little at each. I am sure she would be very proud.

I have a lot of yarn and incomplete items that my mom had crocheted. I don't know what to do with it. I tried calling nursing homes for their activities and local churches but they don't have the crafters anymore. Does anyone know of anybody that would love to take this yarn off my hands? My mom was making a lot of Xmas things and there are white, red, green, and many other colors. I have two huge bags of it. I also have old fashioned spools of cotton.

By aj1130 from Philadelphia, PA far NE

Hi, many high schools nowadays have what's called a 'knit in' program, where students knit and donate squares that are then sewn into blankets, and given out to refugees, the homeless, ect. Any school with this program would love a donation of wool.

Angels for hope would love to have your yarn.We are all volunteer's and spend our own money on yarn and thread to crochet angels and butterflies for those in need of hope.These little angels and butterflies are sent FREE of charge to anyone who requests one.You can contact Cindy at cindy AT angelsforhope.org This is a wonderful organization.And anyone who reads this and would like more information go to angelsforhope.com and request an angel or butterfly for someone you know who is iLL and needs some cheering up.The butterflys can be requested for anyone reaching a100th birthday! :)

Have you tried the Protestent Home at Levick and Martins Mill Road? I know they do a White elephant sale and have people there who sell plastic canvas crafts and can probably use the yarn, or they can sell it at one of their tables. The money goes to the home

I have tons of beads and jewelry making supplies to donate to some organization that would really enjoy them, but do not know who or how to go about doing this.

By Jill B.

I serve a school that could use some art supplies. We have an art teacher one half of the school year for three days a week, but the other half we are on our own. Especially for supplies! Our students are wonderful children, but very poor. Any consideration if still available would be appreciated.

Hi John my name is Sophia just starting out a senior crafts program in Colorado would love to pay for shipping for your items please contact Sophia at 303-476-3629