Dye From Rugs Stained My Linoleum

Category Floors
kitchen
If dye in a throw rug or carpet is not set, it could cause some staining. This is a guide about dye from rugs stained my linoleum.

I had a red throw runner on my kitchen floor which faded into my off white vinyl tile. I have tried bleach to remove and it is of no effect on that horrible red stain. It is a square, the shape of the rug. Any suggestions please?

By PattyB from Omaha, NE

Answer Was this helpful? 3

I have a bathroom with a new linoleum floor (less than one year). Our tenants put throw rugs by the toilet and shower. The rugs reacted with the linoleum and left a dark yellow stain exactly the outline of the rugs. I have tried everything to remove the stain. Can anyone please help?

Thriftyone

My ex-scumlord (and thank God ex almost mother-in-law) had this problem but with red on white linoleum all over the foyer and part of the kitchen. I tried everything. The only thing that had any impact (small though) was Mr. Clean erasers. And that took hours and lots of elbow grease. Good luck.

This might fade by itself with time. Something similar happened to me years ago. I have metal kitchen cabinets covered with clear birch printed Contac plastic. One Christmas time, I attached strips of red gift tie ribbon to the doors to form a border around cardboard cutouts. I attached everything with dots of Funtak. After Christmas, I pulled the ribbons off, and saw red lines on the Contac, apparently the chemicals in the Contac had pulled color out of the ribbon. It wasn't the Funtak, because there was no color where the Funtak dots had been. I didn't know what to do and left it alone. By the following Christmas, I realized the red lines had faded away. Of course, I haven't repeated my mistake ever since. It looks like the chemicals in your floor covering pulled color out of the rug. Let it alone, and maybe it will fade over time.

I agree with Mr clean magic erasers. If that doesn't work then I really don't think anything will. Maybe Oxy Clean...

How to get red dye off of linolem floor. I shampoed the rug under my table and when I was moving out of my house and moved the rug the floor is red from the dye. I have tried every thing I can think of.

Toni from Cheyenne, WY

Answers

Try scrubbing the floor with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser.

I did this same thing almost 19 years ago. My floor still has the same dye stains after all these years luckily hid by the rugs I use. It was a bathroom floor. I have tried everything under the sun to no avail. Even soaked straight bleach on it. Even wear has not removed it. Why cant it stay on fabric like that. Needless to say I never dyed another rug. Good luck.

Yikes... I am in the same boat... just bought a house and put MY rugs down and it is stained NOW. I have tried straight Bleach, even tried varnish cleaner, tried BORAX cleaning pad and baking soda paste. Still left with stains, thankfully covered by the throw rug, which I wish I could throw away with the stains! Any other suggestions? Thought the Crayola Eraser sounded like an option!

Thanks, Josie

We had a red paper advertisement on our floor, and our cats knocked over water on it. We woke up to find a large red stain on our floor. I went through this site (after trying oxyclean, bathroom cleaner, and 409) and must say that the nail polish remover with acetone worked really well for me. You can only very lightly see a pink mark, and I'm hoping the more we clean it, the more it will go away. Thanks for the advice!