Eating After Having Teeth Pulled

Following your dentist's instructions is important after a tooth extraction. Make sure you eat foods that will aid in healing. This is a guide about eating after having teeth pulled.

June 17, 2011 Flag

I just got all of my upper teeth pulled. I am anemic and need some healthy recipes to keep me healthy until I get my dentures. Any suggestions.

By Rita W.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you can afford about ten to twelve dollars, get yourself a "food mill". (I bought one for a baby gift at the local department store whose logo is a red circle surrounded by another red circle.) They're intended for making your own baby food; but what it does is grind table food into an even consistency so that it is easy to mouth and swallow. This way, you can eat meats, and not have to worry so much about your iron. If you go to Amazon and search "baby food mill" you can see a photo of it (there are several brands). They look like plastic tubes with a bell shape at each end.

You can use your crock pot to make any cut of meat soft and shreddable. I cook lean beef round (I slice it, if it is a roast) in mine for a good eight to ten hours, and then let it cool. I rub the cooled meat between my fingers to shred it well, then mix it back in with the juice it generated as it cooked.

If you cook ground beef in a regular pan, then add some water, and gently simmer it for a good half hour or more, it will get nice and soft. You could make a little gravy with the meat (add beef broth if you need more liquid) and serve over mashed potatoes.

Hopefully you will heal quickly!

After the pain is gone, you should be able to eat almost anything, until you get your dentures. I ate baby food, mashed potatoes, soup, until the pain was gone. After that I managed to eat regular meals, no steak, or things like that, but other foods worked good. To this day I can eat popcorn better with my uppers and lowers, than with them.

Hamburger soup--ground beef, potatoes diced small and some onion all cooked in tomato juice. I remember my mother fixing that for my father years and years ago. He could just about drink it.

Let me suggest plenty of avocados and a vitamin B12 supplement. The avocado has a great deal of iron in it! Blessings,

Robyn

You may be able to eat cooked spinach for iron. Other than that, when my husband had all of his uppers removed he ate pudding, yogurt, scrambled eggs, orzo over cooked in chicken broth and mashed potatoes. Luckily mouth wounds heal very quickly so it shouldn't be long before you can start eating more variety.

My husband just had throat cancer and couldn't eat anything but eggs and his doctors put him on Boost Plus. When I had my teeth all pulled I cooked everything I wanted and processed it to almost liquid and it tasted good because I cooked it just like I always do the processed it. Never lost a pound; raisins, are a great source of iron and building anemic blood back, put them in milk vanilla sugar and blend, and drink. Do use the boost Walmart brand choc. we like best the others seemed chalkey. I add extra cocoa to mine because I have it and even if I don't it tastes good. Very cold is the only way to drink it.

Just use your blender to puree any foods that you like and normally eat. You can also make smoothies or juice blends, and add anything that you care to. Be careful not to use a straw to drink them though, or you may end up with a dry socket, which can be extremely painful. If you add ice to the drinks, it will feel really good on your healing gums.

I'd like to add, you can also freeze avocado's.....peal & freeze easy.....

June 24, 2013 Flag

What foods I can eat now after I have had my front teeth and my eye tooth pulled? I now have 10 teeth left. I need to know what is available for me to eat as I now have diarrhea from the lack of the right foods for me to eat. Just wanting to know.

By Doyle R. from Hot Springs, AR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For many years all I had to eat with was all broken off teeth and/or roots. I ate everything. When I got the money to have everything pulled and get dentures. Right after the extractions I ate baby food, mainly the fruits, because I thought the veggies and other stuff was gross.

You can eat anything that is soft, mashed potatoes, soups, hamburger, and to make that even softer, make it into meat balls or meat loaf. You should be able to eat bread, you could mix tuna, with some sweet relish and mayo and have tuna sandwiches. Before I had my teeth pulled, when they were all broken off, I was able to eat everything, just like normal, including popcorn.

Even now twenty plus years after getting dentures, I can eat almost anything I want including popcorn, with or without the dentures. The only things I can't eat are raw celery (if it is in a hot dish, it's OK), radishes, raw cauliflower and raw broccoli. Really you should be able to eat almost anything, that is cooked.

I don't think your diarrhea is caused by not eating the right foods, you might have picked up some kind of bug. Until your mouth heals, you probably won't be able to eat things like steak, roast, etc. Otherwise you should be able to eat almost anything.

Mashed cauliflower with cheese sauce

June 5, 2013 Flag

What are some things I can eat after having 2 teeth pulled?

By Audrey A from AZ

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I had new dentures put in, I invented Instant Potato Soup. It's Idahoan spuds, I like the four cheese, with twice the water. It's smooth and easy to eat. Milkshakes, broth and other things that are easy to get into you without chewing will help till everything heals. Remember, you might be hungry and can't eat steak and carrots now, but it will be in short hiatus from your fav' food.

At 65, still working and with some decent insurance I went to a border town to have some extensive work done. The last of my ten teeth out (ready to break and fall out, but no decay) and I had 8 implants. What to eat was my biggest issue. The Doctor insisted on a "liquid diet" for the first 4 weeks, minimum. I had a friend who'd been through something similar who told me my blender would become my best friend. It has.

Two things I've tried that worked well. Cook Top Ramen noodles per directions but do not use the seasoning packet. Instead, while the water is still boiling add a can of condensed chicken noodle soup, toss it all in a blender let it rip. It was great.

My doctor is high on veggies and chicken so last night I did a Marie Calender chicken pot pie. It has lots of chicken, carrots, I added some pees and potatoes. I cooked the pot pie, put it in the blender with the extra ingredients (cooked) and let it rip. I used milk to loosen it up a bit, but not quite a soup. All the flavors were there, it was amazing.

Tonight I am going to try a doctored New England clam chowder. The soup calls for milk so I am going to cook (poach) 1lb of cut up fish (cod) in the milk bring to just below a boil, being careful not to scorch the milk, it just takes a couple of minutes to cook the fish. When the fish is flaky I will add the soup to the fish/milk and bring it back to a point just before a boil. I'll put all that in a blender, along with some bay shrimp and let the blender rip.

Give it some thought, be inventive and use the things you love to eat. My dentist told me to avoid any soda, red meat, eat lots of veggies and fruit. Fish and chicken are a great......full of positive healing properties. Good luck and here's to a quick and comfortable (as it can be) healing process.

Man with a sore mouth.
Caring for Your Gums After a Tooth Extraction
Health & Beauty AdviceJanuary 14, 2015
Dental Work
Eating After Having Dental Work Done
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
crockpot pulled pork
Crockpot Pulled Pork Recipes
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 19, 2017 at 7:29:24 PM on 10.0.0.30 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.