Educational Activities for Preschoolers

Category Activities
preschooler painting
Young children love to play and learn at the same time. Make use of their enthusiasm by providing fun, educational activities. This is a guide about educational activities for preschoolers.

Preschoolers at home need education and variety- as do their daytime caregiver! In my case, embracing being a stay-at-home-mom has led me to explore, adapt, and use the many free ways to teach my children some basics to prep them for school, life and to have fun with them!

My Frugal Life

Probably the most used by me for teaching resources for my kids is the internet because it's handy and free! To elaborate, many elementary school teachers nationwide maintain beautiful websites with rich arrays of lesson plans free for the using! Many teachers, being the organization buffs that they usually are, neatly and thoroughly arrange subject themes to be carried out from abundant options such as experiments, recipes, crafts, games, songs, and more! Finding a nice gingerbread play-dough recipe opened my mind to the possibilities of making free toys for keeps and to give as gifts! That is thanks to Kindergarten teacher Mrs. Fischer with her site. http://www.kinderthemes.com/Gingerbread.html Visit her main page for a taste of sweet, free teaching tools online! Another favorite of mine is http://dltk-kids.com/ for free printable mini-books and more! Finally, free home-schooling websites are great for craft templates and full of ideas for fun learning with children to provoke your own creativity!

Moving on to the old classic: the local library. The library is great because the books are free to check out, organized, and easier to retrieve information from jam-packed bound books, compared to printing online pages out, especially when all is needed is directions. Also, many libraries have preschool song and reading time for kids and their caregivers in a nice group setting to help develop little youngsters' social skills.

Last, the great and FREE outdoors is such a versatile "classroom." From energetic galloping, skipping, running, leaping, swimming and other sports galore to quiet bug-watching, leaf/flower-collecting and sitting back for a renewing rest, being in nature, even if just right out the door step, is good for the soul.

To close, in my opinion, the TV is not a child's favorite teacher; the caregiver is! So be prepared- for free! The effort in instructing preschoolers from home is multiplied exponentially in the bond that is built and the fun that is had!

By Erin R. from Seffner, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

There are many educational toys on the market, but they're often pricey. Yet, as parents, we want to buy toys for our children that build their minds as well as entertain their personalities. There are some "can't live without them" educational toys, and then there are many that can be made at home. Try to find some cheaper alternatives to learning.

The Math Teacher

Forget the plastic coins and paper money found at educational toy aisles. Instead, take children shopping and put some real coins in their hands. Let your child pay for small items at the store and ask him/her to calculate the change ahead of time. It's not as much work when its has some real world meaning. Each evening, lay coins on the table and ask your children to count out their lunch money. Be sure to offer a different assortment of coins each time to build math skills.

Many card and board games require math skills during play. Make these regular staples at family game night.

Puzzles

Puzzles are essential motor and special skill builders. Pick up some puzzles at the discount store and pass them on to children. Introduce them to their own puzzle creation as well. Have them cut pictures out of magazines and cut them into geometrical shapes. Then, piece them back together in puzzle fashion.

For children who have trouble solving puzzles and get frustrated, pick up a Sharpie and number each piece once the puzzle is in place. This will help to build math skills as well. When the child attempts the puzzle, the answer lies in putting the pieces in numerical (or try the alphabet!) order. It will build the basic visual puzzle skills without frustration.

Arts and Crafts

Arts and crafts build fine motor skills. Beading is a great way to practice patterns and finger dexterity. It's also a great way to teach children to make their own gifts.

Encourage children to create crafts using small pieces, scissors, and/or tweezers. This also builds fine motor skills and attention to detail.

The Latch and Lace Game

An essential for educational game playing is the latch and lace game. Often built out of wood, the latch game asks children to open doors with various latches to see surprises behind them. Lace toys ask children to use colored laces around shapes to practice threading and sewing skills.

While purchased lace and latch games aren't at the top of the educational expense pyramid, these games can be made at home. With a quick visit to the home improvement store, various latches from the hardware aisle can be purchased and attached to a painted board. A pair of old shoes painted brightly with acrylic paint or sturdy fabric cut into interesting shapes can become a lace game in a snap.

Reading

Some board games are family essentials. Classic games such as Boggle and Scrabble teach spelling and word building skills (and math skills for the scorekeeper!) Zingo is another new game that's fun for toddlers without being overly educational.

When playing any game, alter the family rules to be educationally beneficial. If two dice are rolled, don't allow children to count their spaces but instead ask them to add the two dice and then count the total. For games that require reading, assign someone the job of handing out chance cards and reading them to the group rather than letting each player choose a card.

Remember, the complex rules of board games build a variety of skills, and the often criticized video games can be useful in building eye-hand coordination. Ultimately, some parental guidance and ingenuity can create a closetful of educational toys.

(For children over three years of age)

Makes a great big sister/big brother gift when the new baby arrives or a nice stocking stuffer.

Materials

• 1 value-sized bag of assorted large wooden beads, natural or colored ones. (Holes in beads must be large enough for shoelace to pass through).
  • 1 package of colorful shoe laces

Instructions

1. Select only the largest beads which will be easy for small hands to work with.
  2. Place beads and laces in zipper-style bag, small plastic container or gift bag. Decorate with stickers, if desired.
  3. Or, for a little girl, place bead kit in beaded purse or small clutch bag which you can often find in perfect condition for pennies at yard sales and thrift stores.
By Cindy from Waynesburg, PA

Do you have a toddler or pre-schooler who likes to participate in small activities during the day? Organize them!

Preschool Supplies tub

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Help your young preschooler (3-4 year old) in hand strengthening, fine motor skills, name and shape recognition.

This is a guide about free educational materials. There are free educational materials available whether you are homeschooling or just trying to enrich your child's learning experiences.

A girl working on a math.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about game ideas for toddlers. Keeping your toddler active and engaged can be a challenge. There are many games designed for this age that are fun and/or educational.

A mother playing a game with a toddler.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I teach preschoolers. I would really appreciate any help with some internet addresses that may help me with handwriting, alphabet, number work etc. Even craft ideas to go with these subjects. I have looked at some, but seem to go back to the same ones all the time, so I would love any other suggestions any one out there has been on. Thanks for your help

Amanda from Malawi, Africa

My favorite site is www.starfall.com It is mainly to help kids with learning letters and how to read, yet there is no advertising on the site. It is very child-friendly for kids to use the computer.

http://www.abcteach.com/

http://www.theteachersguide.com

DLTK's coloring pages

I use this site with my three year old, and it has good suggestions for books and stuff for the program - and it's free!

http://www.letteroftheweek.com/

Try these..mabe you have already checked them though..I use lot's from them for my 4 yr old great grandaughter :0)

http://www.chil  nd.com/free.html

http://www.kckp  rafts/crafts.htm

http://www.activitypad.com/

http://www.funlessonplans.com/

Hope some are new to you :0)

Maggie O in Bloomington, MN

Hi there

I use http://www.k-3teacherresources.com

They do have some free resources, but the yearly membership is only $19 - well worth it.

Hope this helps

My favorite free Bible Preschool Curriculum is

www.abcjesuslovesme.com

It is a great site that contains teaching ideas for numbers, letters, colors, shapes, basic math, character education. Plus it's free!!

I recently found these new sites that have very good resources for Pre-K thru 5 activities and math homework practice sheets too.

http://www.Math-Sheets.com

http://www.Activity-Sheets.com

http://www.Puzzle-Sheets.com

http://www.BlueBonkers.com

Hope this helps !

I will be working on a website that has only hands-on curriculum sources and ideas. Please let me know what you would like to see on a website. Thank you.

I like to use

http://www.math-aids.com

The Math Worksheet Generator

Math-Aids.Com is a free resource for teachers and parents. You can make an unlimited number of printable math worksheets for children, the classroom or homework practice.

These worksheets cover a large range of math topics and are perfect for the classroom or at home.

DLTK's Crafts for kids - coloring pages, worksheets, and easy crafts using basic items. Love this site.

I want to teach my preschooler piano. He's three - should I wait until a bit older to have lessons? I've seen the program you can buy that puts numbers on the keys and the music notes are the numbers - has anyone tried this? He knows his numbers so that would work. Thanks!

Mindy

If you can afford the private lessons, why not at least try.

I wouldn't sign a contract with a piano teacher, just pay as you go. You don't know for sure if your 3 year old son will catch on to learning the piano.

I would not use numbers. If you do, he will have to "relearn" them later to learn the correct note names (A B C D E F G).

Most piano teachers will not take a student who can not read yet.

If you have a piano at home you might start him out on your own, and see how he does. Teach him the notes on the staff on index cards made into flash cards. You can teach him to say the note name and then to find it on the keyboard. Once he masters this, then he should be ready to start formal lessons.

I personally feel that a three year old should never be pressured to practice. Music should be enjoyable to him.

Please wait until the child can read. You will actually be doing a diservice teaching numbers. I HATE to get transfer students who don't know letter names but sure knows those numbers. It's almost next to impossible to break them from that habit. Please wait! Or seek out a teacher who uses the Suzuki method (larger cities). If you're child has talent, it won't matter how late they start to study music, it will always be there.

I had my three daughters take Suzuki piano lessons when they were small. It is a great program in which they learn by ear, they recommend that the child begin at age 3 (with piano or violin). If you really want your child to learn at a young age, I would try Suzuki lessons. You will need to go to lessons with them and practice with them every day. They listen to the music they are going to play ahead of time so it is easy for them to pick up.

My girls were 3, 5 and 8 when they started. I think it really helped their budding musical abilities, but I found it was too much for me to keep up with. I would not recommend helping more than one child at a time, and the younger they are, the more time consuming it is. It was my 8 year old that went the farthest with it, but then it was difficult to get her to read music after she learned by ear.

None of them went very far with it, but I do think it helped their musical abilities progress at a young age. Working with them really helped my piano skills, that is for sure. I know some children that begin at age 3 with Suzuki lessons really go far. I do not recommend trying to teach them in other ways until they are able to read.

I agree with the others who've advised against the number method. Suggest you don't start teaching him until he can learn the letter names of the keys. In fact, you might teach the alphabet and the keys at the same time.

Some children are apparently born gifted when it comes to musical ability. If he seems to take a great interest in the piano on his own, asking to spend time playing, then I think you should encourage him and even consider professional instruction at this early age. If on the other hand you have to urge him to play, then I'd suggest waiting till about the age of 6 or 7 to try any kind of serious, structured instruction. At any rate, I commend you for wanting him to learn music!

I think Lelia Fletcher Piano Books are wonderful. The beginning ones have the numbers on the notes for simplicity. You should be able to find them in music shops in your area or they could order them for you. : )

If he can learn his ABC's he can learn to play piano. Music is a language and for children this is easy. Put him in lessons and watch him go. But you cannot force this, in a very short amount of time you'll be able to tell if playing piano is not right for him. I used to teach piano and I have seen so many kids who hated playing and their parents didn't really know and the kids didn't want to dissapoint them and tell them.

My piano teacher said that it's not good to start a child with piano lessons until they are at least 6. I don't remember why, but that's just what she said.

A child that is too young to grasp the concept of fractions is too young to learn to play an instrument properly. If your child likes the piano, let him plunk to his hearts content.

There's always someone willing to take your money who doesn't care about the outcome. Children who learn by the number system don't get a proper foundation on which to build technique. They get terribly confused later.

Encourage him to play single notes by ear, but PLEASE don't start lessons until he's reading, and can understand quarter notes, half notes, whole notes, eight notes etc...WAY too confusing for a 3 year old.