Feeding a Dog Who is a Picky Eater

Just like other animals, some dogs do not want the food you have fed them. This guide is about feeding a dog who is a picky eater.

Feeding a Dog That is a Picky Eater
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I brought home a 4 year old rescue Chihuahua that I had a terrible time getting to eat. After trying bags and bags of dry food and hundreds of cans of wet food, I finally came up with a solution that got him to start eating.

When I couldn't get him to eat, I took the dry food and soaked it in a little water to make it soft and then put it in the food processor. It made his food the same as wet food, but provided a different option for him. Now he eats it both ways.

The vet told me this was good that I thought of this, because he had a bad tooth and the wet food kept the pressure off of it and still allowed him to eat with less pain. Now he's doing great. I feed him Royal Canin Chihuahua 28 food. He likes it a lot. Hope this tip helps some of you out there! Good luck.

By Brenda from Buellton, CA

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I need help. I have a nine year Toy Poodle that is extremely picky. I have tried various foods and he will eat it as a last resort. Please help me find a food that he will love to eat all the time.
Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

By the way, a toy poodle up to 10 pounds needs only 1/4 to 3/4 cup food per day. That's a very small amount. If he doesn't actually appear to be underweight, he may getting enough food as it is.

Read More Answers...

I have a 4 month old Chihuahua who is picky and only eats his dog food when he gets too hungry. It seems like he holds out longer than he should. I think he is hoping he will get some of our food, but I have always been told our food is not good for them. It worries me because he is already too skinny. How do I get him to eat his dog food on a regular basis so I know he is getting enough nutrients and things? And also gain a little bit of weight.

I was told the people who had him before gave him people food so I think that is what he is used to. I just want to keep him as healthy as possible. I am getting worried about him because he has been this way since we have gotten him. He is almost 5 months and we got him when he was about 3 1/2 months old. He was 2.5 lbs. then and within a week and a half of having him he gained 5 oz., but I don't know if he is gaining enough. I will be taking him into the vet, but was wondering if anyone knew any little tricks for a picky eater or other suggestions.

By Andrea from Portland, OR

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Also have a 4 month old chi that I was given at 2 wks old, mine is also very picky. If you want him/her to put on some weight try goats milk it is great for their bones and really helps growth, mine is at least 3 times larger (no fat), than any of the other pups from the same litter I mix in 1tsp. of plain pumpkin which is great for their tummys loaded with vitamins. I stew chicken ( no spices) and chop it in with his dry food and he loves it. Also give him small prices of watermelon for a treat. Hope this helps.

Read More Answers...

My chihuahua is approximately 5 years old. She is very spoiled and I can't seem to find any kind of dog food she will eat. I have tried everything. She will eat my cat's food but not her dog food. I'm afraid she isn't getting the nutrients she needs. Please help if anyone has advice.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Don't let him be picky. This is where tough love comes in. Put the cat food up where cats can reach, but not the dog. Put dog food down for your dog, leave it for 15 minutes. If he eats, great. If not, put it up, and nothing to eat (except water) until the next meal. Do the same the next time. He'll learn to eat, and doesn't need to be spoiled to do so.

Read More Answers...

Is anyone having trouble feeding their miniature Poodle? He doesn't like hardly anything. I have given him chicken, rice, and dry dog food put in a food processor. Then I have to feed him with a spoon. I've tried every dry food and canned food, even the pouches and he doesn't like them. Have you ever seen a dog turn down treats, mine does, including steak or anything. The vet even tried to give him this canned food that he said he would love. Guess what? He wouldn't eat it.

His father was like that, as well. I asked the breeder why is he so skinny. She would respond, "He has food over there, he just doesn't want to eat." When she told me that I got scared. I started feeding him. He still goes around and looks for food everything he has and he has a lot he doesn't want. How do I find what he wants to eat? Are there any poodle people out there having my problem? He is perfectly healthy always. Has all his shots and vet visits at least 2 times a year. She says he is very healthy. What do I do? I'm at my whits end; I love this dog so much.

By Anita from Nymills, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi there,

Not sure how you are going with your poodle? I just saw this post, so I'm not sure if you have solved your feeding issue with your poodle? I have a 12 month old apricot mini poodle. He is shocking to feed. I tried everything you can imagine to feed him; wet, dry, homemade, barf, everything, he hated it all. He is very underweight too.

I've been buying raw chicken mince carcass and mixing it with steamed vegetables. He has that, very reluctantly, in the morning. At night, I leave out for him to nibble on Royal canine puppy dry food, which he would sometimes eat. A week ago he stopped eating his food, again. He is so thin, so I asked the pet food shop what I could do to fatten up my dog. She advised I buy him minced (raw) lamb and other fatty off cuts, but she had sold out of that meat.

I went to my local butcher and asked him if he had and lamb, beef, chicken, whatever off cuts he could mince up for me. He did! I went home and gave some to Olli and he loved it! Happiness!

At last, I have found something fatty and somewhat healthy for him, which will hopefully put weigh on him. I also changed his dry food to Advance super premium dry dog food. It is an Australian brand dry dog food. He will nibble on that at night. I just hope he gains weight because he is far too skinny for my liking. I hope this post will help.

Read More Answers...

Is anyone else having problems with their Bischon being a very picky eater?

By Annie from Jacksonville, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You never feed a dog human food feed them high quality dry dog food try different kinds but never give in to the dog that shows you are the boss they get hungry enough they will my male shih tzu was the same way

Read More Answers...

I have a Bichon Pomeranian cross. She eats a little of her dry puppy food so I give her a little table scraps, but she doesn't always like that either.

By Shirley

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a dog exactly as you described I tried giving her cooked meat only for a little while and then switched back to dog chow. It worked but not for long so I had to mix back and forth. Hope this helps.

I have a Dachshund/Pomeranian mix; he is a very picky eater. I haven't found any dog food he likes. Are there any suggestions from anyone that owns this type of breed? He is 18 months old. What do you feed your dog?

By lady938

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The old saying of "when they get hungry enough, they will eat" sounds appropriate here...

I have a toy Pomeranian who hasn't eaten, but half of a little Caesar's pack.

By Vicki

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

You gave little information of importance, like, How old is the dog? How long has it not been eating? Did you recently changed its food brand? Maybe the lil dog has a bad tooth with pain or something else going on. I would take the dog to see the vet to have all that checked out and the vet will more likely ask you other questions to help determine the problem if it is not visible.

Our 2 yr. old YorkiePoo is kinda picky in what she'll eat. Right now she eats (sometimes) Caesar foods. There isn't another one out there that she'll eat. And treats! I've got so much $ spent on treats. Sometimes she'll eat them and then again no. I had her eating cat treats for a couple of days, then it was no again.

By Dottie from southwest IN

Feedback:

<a href="/profile/index.lasso?profile=thr780896">

By <a href="/profile/index.lasso?profile=thr780896">CaroleeRose 12/13/2010

I have spoiled my 3 dogs beyond rotten and they too had become picky eaters. With them I went back to the basics and no treats, human or table food. The only way they would eat was if each dog had a whole can of canned food mixed with their dry. I was glad they were eating but they gained a lot of weight from the canned food. So now didn't they only not eat, they had to adjust to dry dog food.

When I put their supper down at 6 PM, they get one hour to eat it and if they don't eat it it I pick it up and they get nothing for the rest of the night. In the morning they get their breakfast and after an hour I pick that up. All three now eat their dry food. They try to make me feel guilty and that worked for awhile but their health is way to important to me.

When and if they get hungry enough, they will eat.

<a href="/about/contact.lasso?email_feedback=tff36664382&email_tfindex=tf21842429&email_subject=Report a Post: RE: My Dog is a Picky Eater (tf21842429)" class="small">Report

By <a href="/profile/index.lasso?profile=thr727389">thriftyvicki 12/13/2010

Well, I am of the "tough love" frame of mind here. Let her go hungry until she decides she likes something. She will eat something eventually. Maybe you could try some homemade foods. Type into the internet or check out some books on homemade dog foods.

<a href="/about/contact.lasso?email_feedback=tff98952389&email_tfindex=tf21842429&email_subject=Report a Post: RE: My Dog is a Picky Eater (tf21842429)" class="small">Report

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My 1yr old Chihuahua is a very picky eater. Sometimes she will go for days without eating. I cannot find the right food to feed her, especially the hard food. She seems to like the Alpo beef w/gravy; and the chicken treats. But I keep reading the soft food is not good for her. Please forward any suggestions on what to feed her.

Another thing, I don't brush her teeth. Is there anything that may keep her teeth strong and clean that she can chew on?

By byates77 from Princeton, NJ

My Dog is a Picky Eater

I have a dog that way. I know when a dog gets hungry enough they will eat. My little dog has to have peace and quiet when he eats. Distractions takes him away from his food. I also know that some dogs have trouble chewing food and they won't eat it. My little dog I have to use small dog food. (08/21/2009)

By Treads04

My Dog is a Picky Eater

We have a Maltese and feed her Royal Canin. They make a food especially for small breeds. The kibble is tiny and easier for small dogs to chew. We had found that regular puppy food kibble was too big for her and she couldn't chew it. Worth a try. (08/26/2009)

By olive5

My Dog is a Picky Eater

Oh, I forgot to tell you they do make one for Chihuahuas. (08/26/2009)

By olive5

My Dog is a Picky Eater

If your baby likes those flavors of wet food then feed her that! My cat is a picky eater, too, and I feed her one small can of her favorite flavors a day and leave a bowl of tiny size dry that she nibbles on through the week.

There are special pet toothbrushes and toothpastes on the market at stores like Pet Smart and you can get her supplied with the tiny sized rawhide chewies, as well ;-) (08/26/2009)

By Deeli

My Dog is a Picky Eater

My German Shepherd went through a period of about 3 months where she wouldn't eat anything, but peanut butter sandwiches. The vet said to give her whatever she would eat. She's a perfectly healthy and happy dog and now eats only canned dog food, with a p.b. sandwich once a week! (08/26/2009)

By catastrofy

My Dog is a Picky Eater

I give my dog a sliced banana, he loves this. His other favs are: sliced carrots or baby carrots raw, sliced canned carrots, I rinse these first, canned green beans, white rice I add to his canned Pedigree food. He has crunchy food all day. My vet says these are all fine and actually good for him. A vet that Martha Stewart recently had on also said that these were good for dogs. Good luck. (08/30/2009)

By meoowmom

My Dog is a Picky Eater

Animals are manipulative. My cat will suddenly go off her food to see what I will come up with next. I feed her 1/4 can of wet (store brand Friskies) twice a day and there is dry food that she will now not touch. She cries, she cries, but the vet says she's fine and if I don't respond she will either go off to do something else or eat the dry food. It's crazy. (09/08/2009)

By tennesue

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My dog is training me, he is a picky eater. I started to make him his food, because he would not eat his regular kibble, which was good quality.

Pets Dogs AdviceJune 19, 2012
      Baby Bottle Feeding
      Bottle Feeding Your Baby
      Foliar Feeding
      Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
      Feeding a Picky Cat
      Feeding a Picky Cat
      Picky Eater Boy
      Parenting a Picky Eater
      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:14:07 PM on 10.0.0.37 in 320 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.