Feeding a Puppy

Feeding a Puppy
Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By fuzzytufts from south GA

Read 4 Comments

Please give me tips to take care of a dachshund. What kind of food should I give to a 5 months old puppy?

Sally from Cebu, Philippines

To the guest post of 9-15 from a veterinarian's wife: Unless other vets get something we never did they aren't getting any kick backs from selling or recommending Science Diet. When my husband first became involved with pet foods he quickly discovered that other companies were doing a copy cat thing with SD and advertising their foods as 'good as Science Diet". They were in the beginning the leaders in animal nutrition. Things have changed over the years and there are several good pet foods now.

We've fed our dogs and cats only SD for over 23 years and have seen good results with all including young and old. To say that vets have a monetary motive for selling/recommending something is not fair. We carried foods that we could feel confident were of good quality and healthful to the animals. Yes, we made some money selling it. That's the way it works but we didn't get special consideration, just regular mark-up; the same way the grocery store and feed store does except less. Be fair, please.

My puppy is 4 months old and doesn't seem to be satisfied with puppy food. Is he too young to have adult food?

By Gretchen from Cleburne, TX

Answer Was this helpful? 1

A four month old puppy still needs the extra protein in the puppy foods in my opinion. What kind of food are you feeding the puppy?

I would get him examined by a vet and then go on and feed him a higher quality food that doesn't have a lot of corn and by products in it like Diamond foods at Tractor Supply or other feed stores.

Blessings, Robyn

My Yorkie is 6 months old. Which is best, soaked or dried puppy food? He loves both. He likes a slice of apple, carrot, and frozen peas. He is fit healthy full of energy.

Thank you

So my family has a teacup Morkie and she is about 11 weeks old and is only 1.5 pounds. We would like her to grow so she will gain some weight. Help!

AKC (American Kennel Club) classifies Maltese in the 'Toy' group. There is no tea cup classification for a Maltese. The standard adult size for a maltese is 4 to 7 lbs.

Please help me. I got a Doberman pup (Taz) who is 27 days old. He doesn't drink milk at all. He has been hungry for for 2 days. I am very tense about it. Please give me some suggestions on what and how to feed him.

By Owais M. from Srinagar, Kashmir, India

You never explained how you came to have a 27day old puppy. And with no disrespect if any animal irrespective of age has not eaten for two days the sensible thing to do is contact your Veterinarian but to leave one so young with out treatment is disastrous.

My 14 week old Maltese will only eat if she is hand fed. We got her 2 weeks ago and rescued her from what we think is a puppy mill. She is healthy, weighs 43.5 oz today (9/26/15). She runs around, plays, and has lots of energy. I am soaking her puppy food until it's very soft and that's what she eats. She also won't drink. I give her liquids from a syringe.

How do I get her to eat on her own? I'm afraid to just stop feeding her as I worry about hypoglycemia and dehydration.

I put pieces of her soft food on the table for her to eat on her own, but she won't touch it. She has no idea that eating is something that she can do on her own.

When we went to pick her up from the breeder she was squeezing honey water into her mouth from a pointed squeeze bottle. She told me that she had been feeding her cooked chicken. My vet had a fit and told me that it was a poor diet and get her on a good food, which I did.

How can I train her to eat on her own? Thanks!

I agree with Abigail's statements. Also, you could play a game with some of the food to encourage pup to eat it. I would do that with my pup and he would have fun and eat it too and created more bonding time. However, I've read extensively online about giving a pup soft dog food as it will eventually cause gum/teeth problems. Use one of those vinyl finger brushes and doggie paste to clean its teeth after it eats. My pup enjoyed chewing on it too which helped to keep teeth/gums clean.

I have two puppies that where taken by two very young children I have a feeling without permission. They were trying to sell the puppies and I talked them into letting me keep the puppies. I, along with a pastor, am trying to find the owners. I have decided I will pay them for the puppies if they tell me who they belong to. Meantime I have fed them chicken and beef broth mixed with Purnia chow because I did not have money to buy puppy chow. One is throwing up and has runny stool. I know it is because they both need to be with their mother. I am so scared for the babies. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this problem? I can't see anyone in their right mind giving puppies to children this young. They appear to be maybe 7 and 8 year old children!

Take them to a no-kill shelter where they will be fostered with the correct milk-replacement formula. You can't afford this formula. Do it quickly or they could die.

Legally since you have possession of the puppies you are the owner.They will need you to sign them over.

DO NOT PAY THE CHILDREN ANYTHING. That is buying stolen merchandise, first of all. Most importantly, if they get the idea in their little pea-brains that they can get money for puppies there won't be a safe puppy in town!

Never reward criminal behavior in children!

How often do I feed an 8 week old Pit puppy? She eats dry food soaked, but I just want to know how often she should be fed?

By Jennifer from Ellijay, GA

Thumbs up to Glenn's Mom's answer; just want to add to this that your pup isn't too young to handle the dry food without wetting it ( as long as he's getting plenty of water).

Getting him accustomed to the dry kibble will help him in his teething process, and also help scrape tartar from those baby teeth.

My son got a 8 week old Pit Bull puppy. He was feeding her a cup of dry food in the morning and a cup at night. She would gobble her food in minutes. She is now 11 weeks old and does not seem nearly as interested in food. She went from 8 pounds to 14 pounds and seems healthy. She probably eats about a cup and a half a day now. Should we be concerned? She drinks lots of water, but seems not as active. She is up to date with her shots. Her next set is July 8th which will be her 3rd set of shots. Thank you!

Puppies should be fed three to four times a day. Spread out the food and see what happens.

I just got my baby Shih Tzu puppy and I'm scared she will get sick if she doesn't eat. She'll take in a lil then doesn't want any more. I bought milk replacement, I'm just not sure what to do next or if I should put in anything else with the replacement milk to please my lil diva.

How old is she? How long has she been weaned? If she is tiny, you may be trying to overfeed her.

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

You could get a better answer from your Vet but if it were me i would get milk replacer at the pet store. I would not dilute it, but follow the directions on the package.

I have a 7 week old Chiweenie puppy. Mom has dried up and she was eating watered down soft puppy food for this last week. She will not take a bottle, but will drink water. As of today she will not eat and seems weak. What can I do to help this little one?

If it's not too late take her to a Vet.

I have a month old Cocker. What should I feed him? He is my first pet.

By Mahima

You have a puppy that has been taken from its' mother too early. I would try to feed it canned dog food or softened dry food. It may take your puppy awhile to learn to eat so be patient. You can buy dog food especially for puppies. Just make sure it is soft and moist. Keep a dish of water close by. The puppy needs to be fed 4 or 5 times a day. Feed it all it will eat. It needs a warm bed with blankets that can be washed. Be careful of using heating pads, as they can be too warm for a puppy. Be sure to give your puppy lots of attention to make up for losing its' mother so young. There are many good posts on this website about raising young puppies. Do a search.

What is the best food to feed my 8 week old German Shepherd Husky mix? We want to give him the best food to keep him lean and in good health.

By Jourdann

Here are some healthy food names: Wellness, Natural Balance, Canidae, Blue Buffalo, Castor and Pollux, Honest Kitchen, AvoDerm, Evo

Do not go with: Ol' Roy, Purina, Alpo, Old Glory, Kroger Value, Old Yeller Kibbles and Bits, Beneful, Eukanuba, Royal Canin

Is my Pug puppy not eating enough? I feed him about a handful a meal. He is about 11 weeks old.

By Katie

Just look at the back of the package and it should tell you. Or, just call your local Vet!

I have a 8 week old Husky/Shepherd; how many times a day should I feed him and how much?

By Ed M

You should ask for the long term feeding chart from whoever you obtained the puppy from. It's mandatory for registered licensed breeders to supply this information when the puppy leaves at eight weeks.

I would also contact a veterinarian. This is the most critical part of your animal's life that can affect it for the rest of it's life. And please don't forget it's annual vaccinations are imperative for a long healthy life.

I have a 3 month old Pit/Lab mixed puppy. My neighbor gave him to me with adult dog food (Gravy Train). So I have been feeding him with it and he seems to love it. When I take him out to bathroom, his poop comes out thick and soft like ice cream (sorry). I am wondering if that's OK to give him, cause I never know what brand of puppy food is best. I don't want to have to constantly switch between different brands, as I have been with previous brands? So any suggestions on type and brand of puppy food for my little guy?

By James B from Columbus, GA

Hello,

Congrats on your new fur baby. Gravy Train has been around for many years and is one of the cheapest brands you can feed your dog, especially a puppy. Your puppy needs to have a puppy food diet until he is at least 8-9 months old. He needs all the nutrients that are in a puppy food to help him grow and maintain good health.

Gravy train will make his stools soft because of all the junk they put in it. If you put him on a better diet, you will have non loose stools, less smell, less gas, and more, as the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. i have worked for a Veterinarian for many years and our Doctor's always suggest a brand called Wellness, or Blue Buffalo. these brands also have a puppy food.

I have been feeding my 2 dogs Wellness for many years, and they are happy & healthy. You can call the Wellness company and they will send you a puppy package for your puppy. It will have "How to Care" for your puppy and also some coupons. Good luck. Please don't forget to vaccinate your puppy as the breed he is is prone to the parvo virus.

They gave me a small puppy and she has got baby teeth. I don't know how old she is. She was hungry so I gave her 2% milk; is that good for her?

By EG

2% milk in not the best choice to feed your puppy. You need to know how old the puppy is to know what to feed it. Find a local Veterinarian and take the puppy to see him/her. They can tell you how old the puppy is, what to feed now and in the future. The puppy needs shots too. Get a good puppy food at the pet store and soften it with water until it is soft enough for the puppy to eat. Good luck with your puppy.

I have a baby Chihuahua puppy. I do not know how old it is, but it doesn't have any teeth and it still acts like it's trying to nurse on its mother. The people who gave it to me were gonna take it to the pound so I took him.

He acts like he is fine with the puppy milk I've been feeding him. I put a little bit of puppy food in it and warm it up and feed it to him. I just want to make sure he is gonna be okay if I feed him that. Please help me!

By Trina

Vet immediately. Pup will die in hours if there is wrong formula or no feed. Probable need is milk replacer from pet food store. Please, immediate action.

I have a 7 week old Bichon Frise; how many times a day is it best to feed her?

By Mo

What does your vet say?

I've never had that breed but have raised puppies for years (Boxers). Our pups that age would still be getting a lot of their nourishment from Mum although I would be offering a quality kibble moistened with water or a puppy milk replacement every three or four hours, too.

If you decide to try starting your puppy on moistened kibble, be sure to supervise-watch for choking, gagging, and yes, drowning/suffocating. If he falls asleep during feeding and lands nose first, he may lack the ability to wake-up and move his face. Puppies of different breeds grow and develop at breed specific stages and not all 7 week olds have strength and instincts in equal measure.

Also remove the kibble once the puppy loses interest, and don't try to economise by saving it over to the next feeding time because it could spoil even in a short time, causing tummy troubles for your puppy.

How much should a Chihuahua/Pug mix puppy eat per day? My Chug, as they're called, is 6 weeks old (too young, but things happen) and I'm worried about her overeating, as Pugs tend to do. On January 15th, she was 5 weeks 4 days old and weighed 1 pound 4.2 ounces. Today, January 19th, she weighs 1 pound 9.6 ounces and her belly looks a bit fat to me. Currently, I give her as much dry puppy food (soaked in water) as she'll eat 4 times in a 24-hour period. But 5.4 ounces seems like a lot of weight gain in four days. I've never had a puppy this young before. Any advice or tips on what to do?

By Grumblesnort

When puppies are this young, they will not overeat. Everything in them says 'grow, grow, grow'. Being a small breed, your dog will reach her adult size by roughly 6-8 months. Then you can use the information on the side of your dog food container to figure how much food to feed. We have small dogs and use their optimum weight as a guideline, figure the amt, then feed half in the AM and half in the PM. Best wishes with you new puppy!

My pug puppy is 12 weeks old, and she won't eat the required measured amount of food that she needs. She turns her nose up at it.

By Jacqui G.

I have adopted a very young puppy (4-5 wks old) that was either abandoned or lost her mama. She's actually a wonderful puppy, extremely smart and very laid back...except when it comes to eating. OMG, it is unreal!

My sister found her and fed her canned food for the first 5 days. My sis warned me that she was crazy when she ate. I switched to giving her dry food soaked in water. But the first day, I just got it wet and let it sit for about 5 minutes. She ate it so fast!

I didn't realize there was a problem until her next few stools; they were loose with a pinkish/clear liquid. I was immediately concerned that the food was too hard on her little tummy, not to mention the fact that she couldn't possibly be chewing the food. I then let her food completely soak up the water so it was soft. That seemed to help as far as her stools go, they have been normal.

I just cannot get her to slow down! I've tried hand feeding a few kibbles at a time and letting her eat from the bowl while I hold it, then taking it away to make her take a breath. But, as soon as she can she's inhaling again. I've read to keep food down where she always has access to it (this is what I've always done with my other pets), but I'm afraid she might hurt or kill herself if food was available all the time.

I have two main concerns with this: she's not chewing the food at all, (there are a few pieces of kibble that don't get completely soft and I worry she's going to choke). I'm afraid I'll never be able to give her dry food if this continues. The other is, I'm afraid that when she's older, she'll be food aggressive. I'm hoping to have her certified as a therapy dog or at least an emotional support companion. And she "cannot" be aggressive at all to be certified.

The common theory would be that she had to fight for food from her litter mates, but she wasn't underweight when we found her nor was she old enough to fight for "regular" food. She'll try to take my food from me, right after she's eaten, so it can't be from hunger; can it?

She still wants to suckle. Would bottle feeding her help? I was thinking once a day? I'll do whatever it takes to break her from doing this. If not bottle feeding, what else can I do?

I've already fallen completely in love with my DaisyMae, and I want the best for her. I just need her to slow down enough to at the very least, chew her food.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so very much!

By MaryAnn M.

My 8 week old Pit Bull pup doesn't want to eat or drink anything today. I'm taking him to the vet when they open, but until then idk what to do. He's still active and what not, but his tummy is making a bubbly noise like it does when you're hungry.

By Crystal

I have 3 six month old Pit Bull puppies. How many times a day should I feed them?

By Karlis from Louisville, KY

How do I get a 5 week old puppy with a splint, to eat?

By Ashley from Upland, CA

I need help. I don't know what to do with our new puppy. She isn't weaned. I need to know what to do.