Feeding a Puppy

Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

Feeding a Puppy
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am looking at a puppy that is 8 weeks old and still wants mom's milk. He won't eat puppy food. Any suggestions?

By Pam from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You're not supposed to give puppies "people" milk. If you will check at your local Wal-Mart or contact your vet, there is a milk replacement for puppies. I raise Yorkies and what I do when they first start on food is to put a small amount of dry food in a bowl with hot water, make sure the food is covered. Let this sit until it cools off to lukewarm and it should have absorbed the water by now and it makes a soft dog food they can eat. Don't give them canned dog food, this will often times give the little guys diarrhea. Good luck with your puppy!

Best Answer

Talk to your vet or local pet supply store about Nutri-Cal. It comes in a tube and is a feeding supplement for puppies too young to feed. Also, you might try getting Gerber baby food, their meats. There's beef, chicken, turkey, veal, and ham. Give a little of this mixed in with some kibble mush. No milk! Our teacup Chihuahua weighed only 11 oz. when we brought her home 2 years ago and these things seemed to work great for her. Also, watch the pup's water intake as very young puppies can get dehydrated quickly. Our vet gave me a syringe with the needle removed so I could shoot some Nutri-cal and then some water (not too much at a time!) into Mitzi's mouth. She's now a robust 2 year old and weighs in at a whopping 4 lbs. Also, she still likes her baby food and won't eat her meals unless I put just a little on top and smear it around. What a spoiled brat!

Best Answer

My family raised 21 puppies totally by hand from the time they were two weeks old. The vet's office gave me a recipe consisting of evaporated milk, boiled water, white corn syrup, and infant vitamins instead of suggesting I buy the prepared formula (he knew we couldn't afford that for 21 pups). When the pups reached about 6 weeks of age we started feeding them puppy chow that we had made soggy with warm water. All of the pups survived, and we kept one who is still quite healthy. I can't remember the ratios, but I'm sure most, if not all, vets know this recipe or something similar.

Best Answer

I fed a litter of great Pyrenees pups from the time they were 5 days old. A breeder gave me a recipe for formula that worked great. It was a can of Pet milk (evaporated milk), 1 cup of plain whole fat yogurt, 1 can of baby food beef, and a can of water. Just mix up in the blender. They grew fine and seemed very satisfied.

Read More Answers...

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could get a better answer from your Vet but if it were me i would get milk replacer at the pet store. I would not dilute it, but follow the directions on the package.

I have a 5 week old Blue Nose Pit Bull. I just got him yesterday. The ones who sold him to me told me that he liked milk with Puppy Chow. We tried feeding him Puppy Chow with warm water, but he refused to eat it. I have read that milk is bad for puppies and can cause diarrhea. But milk is all he wants to drink. What should I do?

Feeding a Five Week Old Puppy
      AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
      Best Answer

Puppies should stay with their mother for at least 8-10 weeks for the best mother's nutrition, proper development and care, and play with siblings. I hope the seller did not sell you such a young puppy that may be sick or have a difficult and possibly expensive medical problem.

The puppy wants only milk because that is what his mother gave him and he is not ready for solid food. However, as you have the puppy now, the most important plan is to immediately purchase puppy formula at a pet store and follow the instructions carefully. The next on the list is to take your puppy to a veterinarian now to check his development, medical status and future requirements, and any possible problems he may have. The best (and least expensive) medical care is preventative medical care.

There are many online sites that provide excellent information on raising puppies. However, there are many books that provide much more important information to raise a successful and well-behaved dog. The site below will provide some information for now. Good Luck!!!:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site ... -to-be-a-confident-balanced-dog.aspx

My Pit Bull puppy is 4 weeks old going on 5 weeks. My question is, do I still have to feed him goat milk? And I want to start him on wild life dog food, but what kind is the right one?

Feeding a 4 Week Old Puppy
        AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Whichever it is, use the puppy formula and water it down. You can put the goat milk on the puppy food at first if you want to get him completely off of it by a few weeks. Do goat milk/puppy chow for a while, then by about eight weeks you can be using all water instead. I realize goat milk is expensive, but it is rich in nutrients babies can use, so do it kind of gradually.

Read More Answers...

I have a 7 week old Chiweenie puppy. Mom has dried up and she was eating watered down soft puppy food for this last week. She will not take a bottle, but will drink water. As of today she will not eat and seems weak. What can I do to help this little one?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's not too late take her to a Vet.

My 14 week old Maltese will only eat if she is hand fed. We got her 2 weeks ago and rescued her from what we think is a puppy mill. She is healthy, weighs 43.5 oz today (9/26/15). She runs around, plays, and has lots of energy. I am soaking her puppy food until it's very soft and that's what she eats. She also won't drink. I give her liquids from a syringe.

How do I get her to eat on her own? I'm afraid to just stop feeding her as I worry about hypoglycemia and dehydration.

I put pieces of her soft food on the table for her to eat on her own, but she won't touch it. She has no idea that eating is something that she can do on her own.

When we went to pick her up from the breeder she was squeezing honey water into her mouth from a pointed squeeze bottle. She told me that she had been feeding her cooked chicken. My vet had a fit and told me that it was a poor diet and get her on a good food, which I did.

How can I train her to eat on her own? Thanks!

Maltese puppy
            AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with Abigail's statements. Also, you could play a game with some of the food to encourage pup to eat it. I would do that with my pup and he would have fun and eat it too and created more bonding time. However, I've read extensively online about giving a pup soft dog food as it will eventually cause gum/teeth problems. Use one of those vinyl finger brushes and doggie paste to clean its teeth after it eats. My pup enjoyed chewing on it too which helped to keep teeth/gums clean.

Read More Answers...

I have two puppies that where taken by two very young children I have a feeling without permission. They were trying to sell the puppies and I talked them into letting me keep the puppies. I, along with a pastor, am trying to find the owners. I have decided I will pay them for the puppies if they tell me who they belong to. Meantime I have fed them chicken and beef broth mixed with Purnia chow because I did not have money to buy puppy chow. One is throwing up and has runny stool. I know it is because they both need to be with their mother. I am so scared for the babies. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this problem? I can't see anyone in their right mind giving puppies to children this young. They appear to be maybe 7 and 8 year old children!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take them to a no-kill shelter where they will be fostered with the correct milk-replacement formula. You can't afford this formula. Do it quickly or they could die.

Legally since you have possession of the puppies you are the owner.They will need you to sign them over.

DO NOT PAY THE CHILDREN ANYTHING. That is buying stolen merchandise, first of all. Most importantly, if they get the idea in their little pea-brains that they can get money for puppies there won't be a safe puppy in town!

Never reward criminal behavior in children!

Read More Answers...

Can I feed my 6 week old puppy cooked eggs? It is half Sheepdog/half Pyreneese.

Paula from Townville, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

An egg is a good source of protein, but with any new food, I suggest you do what you'd do for a baby. Introduce it gradually, just a small bit at first and watch for any adverse reactions, i.e., stool changes, lethargy, etc.

Because of the cholesterol content, it should be limited too, just a bit, to a few times a week.

Read More Answers...

My blue nose Pit Bull is 5 weeks old weighing at 6.9lbs. Does anyone know how much formula milk replacer/water I should give him? I read the back of the formula, but it's still confusing.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My friend had a baby Chihuahua. It was given to me because the mother would not feed him; she didn't have any milk and was trying to wean him off I guess. Their house was also infested with fleas, so he's home with me. He ate one good time with supplement milk and the second time he wouldn't eat. He's just sleeping. Is this normal? What should I do? I'm worried about him

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

See a vet. When a young pup feeds, the mother licks him from below the navel downwards to stimulate digestion (as we burp a baby). So you may need to dampen a cotton wad with warm water and wipe as the mother would.

Read More Answers...

I have a 6 week old pup named Buddy. He eats once a day; is this normal? Should he be fed before bedtime?

By Candy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well I wouldn't feed a puppy ALL it can eat. Many puppies would eat all they can and then throw it back up. Or they could get bloat eating too much too fast.

The recommended daily amount is on the bag, but since all breeds are different, definitely take your pup to the vet for an assessment of how much it should be eating.

Read More Answers...

My Pit Bull had her first litter of pups and was caring for and nursing them fine. But this week she no longer wants to sit and nurse them until they get full, so I started to feed them puppy food, and they seem fine.
                Are they gonna be okay?

By Angel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Best Answer

At four weeks weaning usually begins by offering the puppies a slurry of puppy formula and kibble. The solid food is soaked in the formula or a food processor is used to make "smoothies". Pour the mix onto a large flat pan with a low rim, feed the puppies 4 times day.

Five weeks: the mixture should be like cooked oatmeal.

Six weeks: the mixture has chunks of solid food for them to begin chewing.

Seven weeks: the kibble is soaked in formula before serving so it is slightly softened.

Eight to ten weeks: sprinkle powdered formula over kibble and add warm water just before serving.

Read More Answers...

What should I feed my new 2-3 weeks old puppies? They are still nursing from mommie.

By Lavender Mommie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Best Answer

Nothing. Their mother is feeding them what they need right now.

White Poodle puppies.I have 4 two week old French Poodles. Their mother just died; what can I feed them and how?

By Jimena from San Diego

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also meant to add - Good luck, and let us know how you and they are doing. So sorry the mom passed away.

Read More Answers...

I have a month old Cocker. What should I feed him? He is my first pet.

By Mahima

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You have a puppy that has been taken from its' mother too early. I would try to feed it canned dog food or softened dry food. It may take your puppy awhile to learn to eat so be patient. You can buy dog food especially for puppies. Just make sure it is soft and moist. Keep a dish of water close by. The puppy needs to be fed 4 or 5 times a day. Feed it all it will eat. It needs a warm bed with blankets that can be washed. Be careful of using heating pads, as they can be too warm for a puppy. Be sure to give your puppy lots of attention to make up for losing its' mother so young. There are many good posts on this website about raising young puppies. Do a search.

What is the best food to feed my 8 week old German Shepherd Husky mix? We want to give him the best food to keep him lean and in good health.

AnswerMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                Load More
                Pets Dogs AdviceJune 20, 2012
                Baby Bottle Feeding
                Bottle Feeding Your Baby
                Foliar Feeding
                Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
                Stray cat in a doorway.
                Feeding Stray Cats
                Teens Eating Pizza
                Saving Money on Feeding Teens
                © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 28, 2016 at 3:13:34 AM on 10.0.0.49 in 687 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.