Browsing: Feeding a Puppy

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Feeding a Puppy

Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

Feeding a Puppy
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

October 25, 2010 Flag

I am looking at a puppy that is 8 weeks old and still wants mom's milk. He won't eat puppy food. Any suggestions?

By Pam from San Diego, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I fed a litter of great Pyrenees pups from the time they were 5 days old. A breeder gave me a recipe for formula that worked great. It was a can of Pet milk (evaporated milk), 1 cup of plain whole fat yogurt, 1 can of baby food beef, and a can of water. Just mix up in the blender. They grew fine and seemed very satisfied.

I work at a pet store and have found that the more you give them soft food, the more they won't eat dry food! Sometimes you have to stand your ground and insist. You can try wetting the hard food a little bit, but not much. I agree with latrtatr, he should have been started on dry food while still at the breeders. I don't recommend feeding wet food constantly because it's not food for their teeth. Dry food helps to remove plaque from teeth. I recently got a Yorkie puppy and I gave him some canned food at first and then after he didn't care to eat the dry food, but I just stood my ground and now that's all he eats. If your puppy goes more than 2 days without eating, I would talk to a veterinarian. Sometime else to try is mixing a tablespoon of cottage cheese in with the food. Be sure to mix it very well because that will encourage them to eat more dry food. In most cases, however, sometimes a puppy won't eat for a day or so, but eventually they get hungry enough and give in!

December 6, 2015 Flag

I have a 5 week old Blue Nose Pit Bull. I just got him yesterday. The ones who sold him to me told me that he liked milk with Puppy Chow. We tried feeding him Puppy Chow with warm water, but he refused to eat it. I have read that milk is bad for puppies and can cause diarrhea. But milk is all he wants to drink. What should I do?

Feeding a Five Week Old Puppy
Best Answer

Puppies should stay with their mother for at least 8-10 weeks for the best mother's nutrition, proper development and care, and play with siblings. I hope the seller did not sell you such a young puppy that may be sick or have a difficult and possibly expensive medical problem.

The puppy wants only milk because that is what his mother gave him and he is not ready for solid food. However, as you have the puppy now, the most important plan is to immediately purchase puppy formula at a pet store and follow the instructions carefully. The next on the list is to take your puppy to a veterinarian now to check his development, medical status and future requirements, and any possible problems he may have. The best (and least expensive) medical care is preventative medical care.

There are many online sites that provide excellent information on raising puppies. However, there are many books that provide much more important information to raise a successful and well-behaved dog. The site below will provide some information for now. Good Luck!!!:

http://healthypets.mercola.com/site ... -to-be-a-confident-balanced-dog.aspx

Try to just give him water

May 31, 2016 Flag

So my family has a teacup Morkie and she is about 11 weeks old and is only 1.5 pounds. We would like her to grow so she will gain some weight. Help!

also, I want to add there is no such thing as a teacup Maltese or toy Maltese. they are naturally small. using teacup or toy for a Maltese is just a way of enticing people to buy them with the teacup and toy craze.

AKC (American Kennel Club) classifies Maltese in the 'Toy' group. There is no tea cup classification for a Maltese. The standard adult size for a maltese is 4 to 7 lbs.

July 10, 2016 Flag

I have a 3 week old puppy that I have been bottle feeding due to the momma dying. All he does is sleep and when I try to feed him he just spits out the nipple of the bottle. I'm starting to get worried. I do make sure he does drink the milk by using a syringe. Is there anything else I can do?

May 28, 2016 Flag

I just got a two week old Pit Bull puppy and the mama died. How and what can I feed her to help keep her healthy? I tried using a spoon with evaporated milk and water mixed, but she won't take it. Plz help me cuz my son is in love with this dog.

Go to walmart and buy milk replacer plus and bottle feed the puppy. Ive been bottle feeding 8 puppies for over a week cuz the day the mom had the puppies she died. Its been working good for us.

March 26, 2010 Flag

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By fuzzytufts from south GA

January 31, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull puppy is 4 weeks old going on 5 weeks. My question is, do I still have to feed him goat milk? And I want to start him on wild life dog food, but what kind is the right one?

Feeding a 4 Week Old Puppy

If he's doing well on the goat milk, keep up with it. He can drink it until 8 weeks. Then feed soft food. If you don't, you risk him getting diarrhea that won't easily go away. If he seems to be hungry all the time you can supplement feedings with a little softened, very high quality dog food, but not the cheap stuff.

Do you mean Taste of The Wild or Wilderness? I'm not familiar with Wild Life.

Whichever it is, use the puppy formula and water it down. You can put the goat milk on the puppy food at first if you want to get him completely off of it by a few weeks. Do goat milk/puppy chow for a while, then by about eight weeks you can be using all water instead. I realize goat milk is expensive, but it is rich in nutrients babies can use, so do it kind of gradually.

April 21, 2016 Flag

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

You could get a better answer from your Vet but if it were me i would get milk replacer at the pet store. I would not dilute it, but follow the directions on the package.

March 5, 2008 Flag

Can I feed my 6 week old puppy cooked eggs? It is half Sheepdog/half Pyreneese.

July 24, 2016 Flag

I just got my baby Shih Tzu puppy and I'm scared she will get sick if she doesn't eat. She'll take in a lil then doesn't want any more. I bought milk replacement, I'm just not sure what to do next or if I should put in anything else with the replacement milk to please my lil diva.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 20, 2012
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 22, 2016 at 10:30:50 PM on 10.0.0.48 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.