Feeding a Puppy

Making sure that your new puppy gets proper nutrition is important. This guide is about feeding a puppy.

March 26, 2010 Flag

If you are tackling the job of mama for baby puppies or cats, don't let them aspirate (breath in) their milk, as it can cause respiratory problems and death. Feed only small amounts, and more often without allowing pup to overeat then vomit, and can inhale it into their lungs.

Don't use cow milk, but goat milk for babies is as good as the stuff from vet, easy to digest. Use l/2 goat milk (canned) for babies and 1/2 water. Remember to burp as with a baby on a bottle. Good growing.

Source: My experience with a tiny Boston bull terrier pup started at 2 days.

By fuzzytufts from south GA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

April 7, 2005 Flag

I read the request about "Pit Bull Eating Grass" and I am an amateur dog breeder and would like to make a few comments.

First off: Your pup is eating grass because it either needs to eliminate some discomfort or it is lacking a nutrient. If you get a puppy and it no longer has access to its mother's milk or the equivalent then you should not just give it what humans or other animals would use. This pup specifically should be being introduced to some form of dog or puppy chow.

We usually begin introducing food between 3 and 4 weeks softened with water to the consistency of runny oatmeal, progressively thickening as the pup ages. By 6 weeks it should be able to eat dry kibble and drink water. A milk substitute designed for pups may also be given as well until 8 weeks of age. But no other food or other animal milk should be given, your pup would be better off with the softened dog food alone than to be trying to digest something his body is not designed to digest.

Get your pups de-wormed, all pups are born with worms and need de-worming. And be careful with the flea bath shampoo as it is strong and I have unfortunately seen people actually poison a pet using this shampoo while trying to eliminate the discomfort of fleas.

Good luck and try to get your pup to a vet around 8 weeks for puppy shots.

By Barbie

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

October 25, 2010 Flag

I am looking at a puppy that is 8 weeks old and still wants mom's milk. He won't eat puppy food. Any suggestions?

By Pam from San Diego, CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

My family raised 21 puppies totally by hand from the time they were two weeks old. The vet's office gave me a recipe consisting of evaporated milk, boiled water, white corn syrup, and infant vitamins instead of suggesting I buy the prepared formula (he knew we couldn't afford that for 21 pups). When the pups reached about 6 weeks of age we started feeding them puppy chow that we had made soggy with warm water. All of the pups survived, and we kept one who is still quite healthy. I can't remember the ratios, but I'm sure most, if not all, vets know this recipe or something similar.

December 6, 2015 Flag

I have a 5 week old Blue Nose Pit Bull. I just got him yesterday. The ones who sold him to me told me that he liked milk with Puppy Chow. We tried feeding him Puppy Chow with warm water, but he refused to eat it. I have read that milk is bad for puppies and can cause diarrhea. But milk is all he wants to drink. What should I do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Puppies should stay with their mother for at least 8-10 weeks for the best mother's nutrition, proper development and care, and play with siblings. I hope the seller did not sell you such a young puppy that may be sick or have a difficult and possibly expensive medical problem.

The puppy wants only milk because that is what his mother gave him and he is not ready for solid food. However, as you have the puppy now, the most important plan is to immediately purchase puppy formula at a pet store and follow the instructions carefully. The next on the list is to take your puppy to a veterinarian now to check his development, medical status and future requirements, and any possible problems he may have. The best (and least expensive) medical care is preventative medical care.

There are many online sites that provide excellent information on raising puppies. However, there are many books that provide much more important information to raise a successful and well-behaved dog. The site below will provide some information for now. Good Luck!!!:

http://healthyp  alanced-dog.aspx

May 31, 2016 Flag

So my family has a teacup Morkie and she is about 11 weeks old and is only 1.5 pounds. We would like her to grow so she will gain some weight. Help!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

also, I want to add there is no such thing as a teacup Maltese or toy Maltese. they are naturally small. using teacup or toy for a Maltese is just a way of enticing people to buy them with the teacup and toy craze.

March 5, 2008 Flag

Can I feed my 6 week old puppy cooked eggs? It is half Sheepdog/half Pyreneese.

Paula from Townville, SC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

An egg is a good source of protein, but with any new food, I suggest you do what you'd do for a baby. Introduce it gradually, just a small bit at first and watch for any adverse reactions, i.e., stool changes, lethargy, etc.

Because of the cholesterol content, it should be limited too, just a bit, to a few times a week.

January 31, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull puppy is 4 weeks old going on 5 weeks. My question is, do I still have to feed him goat milk? And I want to start him on wild life dog food, but what kind is the right one?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If he's doing well on the goat milk, keep up with it. He can drink it until 8 weeks. Then feed soft food. If you don't, you risk him getting diarrhea that won't easily go away. If he seems to be hungry all the time you can supplement feedings with a little softened, very high quality dog food, but not the cheap stuff.

Do you mean Taste of The Wild or Wilderness? I'm not familiar with Wild Life.

June 24, 2011 Flag

My Pit Bull had her first litter of pups and was caring for and nursing them fine. But this week she no longer wants to sit and nurse them until they get full, so I started to feed them puppy food, and they seem fine.
Are they gonna be okay?

By Angel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

At four weeks weaning usually begins by offering the puppies a slurry of puppy formula and kibble. The solid food is soaked in the formula or a food processor is used to make "smoothies". Pour the mix onto a large flat pan with a low rim, feed the puppies 4 times day.

Five weeks: the mixture should be like cooked oatmeal.

Six weeks: the mixture has chunks of solid food for them to begin chewing.

Seven weeks: the kibble is soaked in formula before serving so it is slightly softened.

Eight to ten weeks: sprinkle powdered formula over kibble and add warm water just before serving.

May 28, 2016 Flag

I just got a two week old Pit Bull puppy and the mama died. How and what can I feed her to help keep her healthy? I tried using a spoon with evaporated milk and water mixed, but she won't take it. Plz help me cuz my son is in love with this dog.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Go to walmart and buy milk replacer plus and bottle feed the puppy. Ive been bottle feeding 8 puppies for over a week cuz the day the mom had the puppies she died. Its been working good for us.

April 21, 2016 Flag

The puppy is a week old, but doesn't latch on to her mother like she should. What to feed the puppy if not ' milk? Pet milk diluted with water? Baby formula? What is safe for the puppy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could get a better answer from your Vet but if it were me i would get milk replacer at the pet store. I would not dilute it, but follow the directions on the package.

September 27, 2015 Flag

My 14 week old Maltese will only eat if she is hand fed. We got her 2 weeks ago and rescued her from what we think is a puppy mill. She is healthy, weighs 43.5 oz today (9/26/15). She runs around, plays, and has lots of energy. I am soaking her puppy food until it's very soft and that's what she eats. She also won't drink. I give her liquids from a syringe.

How do I get her to eat on her own? I'm afraid to just stop feeding her as I worry about hypoglycemia and dehydration.

I put pieces of her soft food on the table for her to eat on her own, but she won't touch it. She has no idea that eating is something that she can do on her own.

When we went to pick her up from the breeder she was squeezing honey water into her mouth from a pointed squeeze bottle. She told me that she had been feeding her cooked chicken. My vet had a fit and told me that it was a poor diet and get her on a good food, which I did.

How can I train her to eat on her own? Thanks!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog is used to being hand fed. She has never really had to eat on her own.

I would suggest giving her plain water by syringe so she doesn't dehydrate in the meantime. Stop hand feeding her. Put her softened food down where she can get it. Lead her over there about every hour.

Don't worry if she doesn't eat for more than 24 hours. Dogs can go that long without eating. There is no need to worry about blood sugar if she doesn't have diabetes. Humans and animals can handle occasional fasts.

Scatter food around if you need to but don't hand feed. When she gets hungry enough she'll eat.

Once she gets the hang of the food, give her a water dish as well. When you're teaching her about the water, give her a bowl of fresh water and change it twice a day. Put it near her food. To be sure she doesn't dehydrate completely, give her one or two syringes of water a day but not too much. if she doesn't get really thirsty she won't drink it.

The idea is that she has to get hungry and thirsty enough to eat and drink of her own.

July 10, 2016 Flag

I have a 3 week old puppy that I have been bottle feeding due to the momma dying. All he does is sleep and when I try to feed him he just spits out the nipple of the bottle. I'm starting to get worried. I do make sure he does drink the milk by using a syringe. Is there anything else I can do?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

September 17, 2015 Flag

I have two puppies that where taken by two very young children I have a feeling without permission. They were trying to sell the puppies and I talked them into letting me keep the puppies. I, along with a pastor, am trying to find the owners. I have decided I will pay them for the puppies if they tell me who they belong to. Meantime I have fed them chicken and beef broth mixed with Purnia chow because I did not have money to buy puppy chow. One is throwing up and has runny stool. I know it is because they both need to be with their mother. I am so scared for the babies. Does anyone have suggestions on how to handle this problem? I can't see anyone in their right mind giving puppies to children this young. They appear to be maybe 7 and 8 year old children!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most pet stores carry a milk replacement product for puppies. That might work or they can be taken to a shelter where they can be fostered.

January 25, 2015 Flag

My friend had a baby Chihuahua. It was given to me because the mother would not feed him; she didn't have any milk and was trying to wean him off I guess. Their house was also infested with fleas, so he's home with me. He ate one good time with supplement milk and the second time he wouldn't eat. He's just sleeping. Is this normal? What should I do? I'm worried about him

By Dawn

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you do not know how to keep such a young puppy without its mother, you must get immediate help. Your puppy is very young and needs special care without his mother. See this infomation from the excellent site WebMD.com to start:

http://pets.web  puppy-food-types

January 1, 2015 Flag

I have a 6 week old pup named Buddy. He eats once a day; is this normal? Should he be fed before bedtime?

By Candy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pups that age should be fed all they can eat three times a day.

January 30, 2016 Flag

I have a 7 week old Chiweenie puppy. Mom has dried up and she was eating watered down soft puppy food for this last week. She will not take a bottle, but will drink water. As of today she will not eat and seems weak. What can I do to help this little one?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If it's not too late take her to a Vet.

February 24, 2012 Flag

What should I feed my new 2-3 weeks old puppies? They are still nursing from mommie.

By Lavender Mommie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Nothing. Their mother is feeding them what they need right now.

September 3, 2013 Flag

I have 4 two week old French Poodles. Their mother just died; what can I feed them and how?

By Jimena from San Diego

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I should have mentioned; use the "Search Thrifty Fun" box at the top of the screen, put in "puppy formula", then on the next screen, select the "Feeding a Puppy" link, right at the top; when that opens, keep scrolling down to see all the tips.

July 24, 2016 Flag

I just got my baby Shih Tzu puppy and I'm scared she will get sick if she doesn't eat. She'll take in a lil then doesn't want any more. I bought milk replacement, I'm just not sure what to do next or if I should put in anything else with the replacement milk to please my lil diva.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

December 1, 2013 Flag

My puppy is 4 months old and doesn't seem to be satisfied with puppy food. Is he too young to have adult food?

By Gretchen from Cleburne, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A four month old puppy still needs the extra protein in the puppy foods in my opinion. What kind of food are you feeding the puppy?

I would get him examined by a vet and then go on and feed him a higher quality food that doesn't have a lot of corn and by products in it like Diamond foods at Tractor Supply or other feed stores.

Blessings, Robyn

September 10, 2008 Flag

Please give me tips to take care of a dachshund. What kind of food should I give to a 5 months old puppy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceJune 20, 2012
Baby Bottle Feeding
Bottle Feeding Your Baby
Foliar Feeding
Foliar Feeding for Garden Plants
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Teens Eating Pizza
Saving Money on Feeding Teens
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 10:16:48 AM on 10.0.1.190 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.