Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I just lost a bunch of my wool due to mold and water damage. I had it in storage due to moving into a smaller place. I have a few young ladies who wanted me to teach them how to crochet, etc. As well, I make hats, etc. for those in need. Now I can't make any hats or teach the girls how to crochet without wool and hooks. I live out in Canada. Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get donations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

I have a friend who has been knitting jumpers, hats & gloves to send to Nepal for the last 30+ years. As you can imagine, she can't afford to buy enough wool to keep her fingers knitting, so .... she told me that she buys knitted scarfs & jumpers from Op Shops/Thrift stores, then she washes them & pulls them apart. She's been successfully doing this for years now ... I hope this helps you to find enough wool to keep your fingers moving & needles clicking ... :) Cheers, W.

Read More Answers...

I just started a group that gives elderly women yarn to crochet hats and blankets for the homeless. I am trying to get scrap yarn via Facebook, but no luck so far.
    Anyone know of a place to get scraps?

By Sydney

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Look on Craigslist and even post that you need some yarn. I did a fundraiser in 2012 for a food bank and got tons. Also, for just a few cents on the dollar, thrift shops will be a good investment.

Along those lines, go to the manager and ask if they can donate some. If they can't, buying good quality mufflers and afghans are a great source too.

I once bought an afghan for 5.99 and it had about 25 skeins on it. You can imagine how much I saved!

I hope you do well. We do the same here in Salem OR with a wonderful group called the Sassy Stitchers.

Read More Answers...

Two students from Lincoln University are wanting to set up a project for making hats and gloves for the homeless. We need as much wool as we can to make this happen, does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get donations?
    Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for your advice, we are in the UK are will defiantly take it all on board,

Thank you!

Read More Answers...

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you HJ [13] , very helpful advice . There are loads of senior group homes and centers here in Jersey and i love yard sales and flea markets . I did find a place in Ohio whose donating yarn along with scraps ! I am most appreciative .

Read More Answers...

I'm living in North Carolina. I would very much like to crochet hats, mittens, and socks for the homeless shelters in my town. The only problem is that I don't have the money to be able to buy the yarn I would need for it. If you or someone you know has any suggestions for where I can find donated yarn I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Get on Craigslist and put out feelers there. Also, sometimes thrift shops will donate supplies as well. Don't give up...if it were not for the cost of postage I would send some of mine. Good luck and bless you for the work you are doing. PBP

Read More Answers...

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have lots of yarn to donate. Let

Me know if you want it.

Read More Answers...

As we all know winter is just around the corner and, then it is Christmas. I and a small group of homebound people are knitting and crocheting hats and gloves for the homeless. We are all on a fixed income and can only do so much. Where can we find free yarn for our projects?
          Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You could try your local Free Use online community. Also, most local newspapers run a kind of "Community Happenings" column, and will let you get the word out that this is for the benefit of others and you'd like some help. This is usually a great way to help because others (who don't really want to do handiwork themselves) will want to do their part to help by donating extra yarn they have on hand.

Good luck on what sounds like a great project!

Read More Answers...

I have a page on Facebook called "hats and scarves for needy children." I have asked for yarn donations with no luck. Is there someplace else I can post for donations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

All true. But, I would do a post on Craigslist. Maybe in arts and crafts. Also, please put where you live. Those who might want to donate may not be able to afford the cost. Local folks are more likely. Also, put a notice up at your local senior center and/or craft shops. Lastly, a lot of thrift shops will donate. I hope that helps. PBP

Read More Answers...

I am a single mom and have been crocheting for 15 years. I am also a self taught knitter. My son recently expressed interest in wanting to learn to crochet. I would like to make blankets with him for the local abused women and children's shelter. It would be perfect summer projects! :)

Where can I find out about getting donated yarn for this? We have very little extra funds. I take care of my two angels 100% alone. Thanks in advance!

By Kristie

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you go to church that would be a good place to start. Your son's school would be a good place to begin also. Try the next PTO meeting and tell them what you've told us and you'll be swamped with goodies. You might have to rent a storage unit for the yarn. (JK)

I am crocheting hats and blankets for the homeless, elderly, and needy in my area. I am running low on yarn. Does anyone know where I can get yarn donations?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Free yarn is usually difficult to find. You can try advertising at senior community centers, churches, checking thrift stores and garage sales, etc.

I work for the National MS society. We have a group in our office that get together weekly to crochet or knit projects for people with multiple sclerosis. We are in need of yarn donations.
                Thank you for any suggestions you can give.

By Donna D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

How about a yarn drive, Donna? All the folk I know who knit or crochet or have done so in the past don't like to throw away their remaining supplies. You and your group could design and post ads in local grocery stores or - if you're feeling energetic - go door to door on nice days. Get the word out and you'll have all kinds of people getting in touch with you (both near and far). Yarn isn't heavy and people from neighbouring communities might also like to contribute by shipping their remnants to you.

Good luck!

Read More Answers...

Blue, green, and black crochet star.I have a small circle of girls and we make chemo caps and baby blankets to donate, we are running really low on yarn and really need ideas on ways to come up with more yarn. We don't sell anything, only donate and with the holidays coming, all of our extra cash is low. If you know of any ideas to get yarn for extremely cheap or free, I would appreciate any ideas what so ever. Thank you so much and blessed be.

By Crystal

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never done this but someone told me awhile back to go to good will stores or thrift stores that sell sweaters real cheap and unravel them and reuse the yarn to make things.You hate to rip apart something but if it makes the yarn cheaper it might be the way to go.

Read More Answers...

My daughter was born with a heart defect and had to have open heart surgery at two months old. She will remain a cardiologist's patient for the rest of her life. Her surgery was performed at our closest children's hospital which is Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, at no cost to our family. They took great care of us while we were there and I am thankful every day for them and what they have given me because without them my daughter wouldn't be here today.

I don't have any money to donate to the hospital so I thought I would crochet hats for the kids at the hospital and wanted to know if anyone knows of any places that I can contact that will donate yarn. While in Atlanta I met many parents whose children have been there for months upon months, some waiting for transplants. I thought it might brighten a child's day to have a hat made for them. So if you could please let me know of any place you can think of.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'd see if there is a volunteer group that works at the hosptial. They might be a resource for you. If they have a non profit status they might be able to buy discounted yarn or possibly get it donated for your project. They might even WANT to help!

If you have the time, perhaps you can volunteer your time at the hospital and help future parents in the same heart wrenching circumstances you all had to endure.

Good Luck.

I am running a project where we are selling cat beds to raise money for a cat charity in New York. In the Big Apple it is hard to find yarn at garage sales or flea markets. Any yarn would be appreciated. Can anyone help?

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I live in the Chicago area and would be happy to donate if you are willing to pay the postage.

Read More Answers...

I am a senior citizen that loves to crochet hats and lapghans for cancer patients also residents in nursing homes. I donated 50 lapghans to residents in an assisted living facility where my mother lived and they sure appreciated them.

I have used most of my yarn and being that I am on a limited budget would like to know if anyone would have yarn that they would like to donate. I do buy yarn at garage sales and flea markets when I see some.

Thank you very much and God Bless you all.

By Geri H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I woulg like any donations that you may have. 2401 Page Green Rd Cortland ny13045

Read More Answers...

I have a few people here that are wanting to help homeless youth out in Winnipeg. We have recently found out about a place called RAY that helps teens out with all sorts of everyday necessities. We were hoping to find some donations of wool to knit hats and scarves and possibly some material to make some baby blankets. Anyone that has any ideas let me know.

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Contact local churches and ask them if they have a group (like a women's bible study group) that would be interested in helping you collect yarn or alternatively, if they would mind you setting up a collection box in their facility. Also ask about running a short notice in the weekly bulletin to let people know what you are doing and why. Be prepared for a few rejections but I can just about guarantee that most will be happy to help. (I'd ask any friends you may have who attend a church first, you may get all you need there.)

Another alternative is to approach stores for a donation. Do so at the beginning of the month if possible, as the big chains set aside a certain dollar amount of merchandise they give away each month. Ask to speak with the manager when you go.

Lastly, I'd write a letter (not an email) to the big manufacturers of yarn like Red Hart and ask for 'seconds'. They can only say no, and you'll only be out a stamp or three. Good luck!

Load More
                    Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 15, 2013
                    Craft Supplies
                    Selling Excess Craft Supplies
                    Fabric
                    Donating Fabric to Charity
                    Young woman using computer
                    Finding Free WiFi Connections
                    Giving to Charity
                    Giving to Charity
                    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 2:42:55 PM on 10.0.1.54 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.