Browsing: Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 23, 2016 Flag

I just moved to Philadelphia and in that move I lost a lot of yarn that I was using to make baby hats, booties, mittens, and blankets. Right now I'm trying to get back on my feet, so I can't buy any at this time. If anyone can give me any suggestions and all info you have on finding donations, I would very much be grateful.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

November 10, 2015 Flag

I just lost a bunch of my wool due to mold and water damage. I had it in storage due to moving into a smaller place. I have a few young ladies who wanted me to teach them how to crochet, etc. As well, I make hats, etc. for those in need. Now I can't make any hats or teach the girls how to crochet without wool and hooks. I live out in Canada. Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get donations?

Best Answer

I have a friend who has been knitting jumpers, hats & gloves to send to Nepal for the last 30+ years. As you can imagine, she can't afford to buy enough wool to keep her fingers knitting, so .... she told me that she buys knitted scarfs & jumpers from Op Shops/Thrift stores, then she washes them & pulls them apart. She's been successfully doing this for years now ... I hope this helps you to find enough wool to keep your fingers moving & needles clicking ... :) Cheers, W.

Read More Answers...

April 8, 2015 Flag

I just started a group that gives elderly women yarn to crochet hats and blankets for the homeless. I am trying to get scrap yarn via Facebook, but no luck so far.
Anyone know of a place to get scraps?

By Sydney

Best Answer

Look on Craigslist and even post that you need some yarn. I did a fundraiser in 2012 for a food bank and got tons. Also, for just a few cents on the dollar, thrift shops will be a good investment.

Along those lines, go to the manager and ask if they can donate some. If they can't, buying good quality mufflers and afghans are a great source too.

I once bought an afghan for 5.99 and it had about 25 skeins on it. You can imagine how much I saved!

I hope you do well. We do the same here in Salem OR with a wonderful group called the Sassy Stitchers.

Read More Answers...

January 29, 2016 Flag

Two students from Lincoln University are wanting to set up a project for making hats and gloves for the homeless. We need as much wool as we can to make this happen, does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get donations?
Thank you.

Thank you for your advice, we are in the UK are will defiantly take it all on board,

Thank you!

Read More Answers...

August 9, 2015 Flag

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

Thank you HJ [13] , very helpful advice . There are loads of senior group homes and centers here in Jersey and i love yard sales and flea markets . I did find a place in Ohio whose donating yarn along with scraps ! I am most appreciative .

Read More Answers...

June 1, 2016 Flag

I'm looking for yarn, it can be any kind. It will be used to make hats for our NICU babies at our hospital Grace Hospital in Morgantown North Carolina. Can anyone be so kind to help me with suggestions on where to get donations? Ty in advance.

When I did a fundraiser for the local food bank, the local Craft Warehouse donated 100.00 worth. Also some thrift stores will, too. I am sure you have looked into what they need, but in case you needed more information, here is a very good link. Bless you!!

http://www.thepreemieproject.com/

March 23, 2011 Flag

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

I would be extremely interested Bev, depending on where you live, of course. I am in the UK and would like to start making charity items for Help for Heroes and SANDS.

Cheryl

Read More Answers...

August 31, 2015 Flag

I'm living in North Carolina. I would very much like to crochet hats, mittens, and socks for the homeless shelters in my town. The only problem is that I don't have the money to be able to buy the yarn I would need for it. If you or someone you know has any suggestions for where I can find donated yarn I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

Get on Craigslist and put out feelers there. Also, sometimes thrift shops will donate supplies as well. Don't give up...if it were not for the cost of postage I would send some of mine. Good luck and bless you for the work you are doing. PBP

Read More Answers...

September 11, 2015 Flag

As we all know winter is just around the corner and, then it is Christmas. I and a small group of homebound people are knitting and crocheting hats and gloves for the homeless. We are all on a fixed income and can only do so much. Where can we find free yarn for our projects?
Thank you.

You could try your local Free Use online community. Also, most local newspapers run a kind of "Community Happenings" column, and will let you get the word out that this is for the benefit of others and you'd like some help. This is usually a great way to help because others (who don't really want to do handiwork themselves) will want to do their part to help by donating extra yarn they have on hand.

Good luck on what sounds like a great project!

Read More Answers...

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have a page on Facebook called "hats and scarves for needy children." I have asked for yarn donations with no luck. Is there someplace else I can post for donations?

All true. But, I would do a post on Craigslist. Maybe in arts and crafts. Also, please put where you live. Those who might want to donate may not be able to afford the cost. Local folks are more likely. Also, put a notice up at your local senior center and/or craft shops. Lastly, a lot of thrift shops will donate. I hope that helps. PBP

Read More Answers...
Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 15, 2013
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 26, 2016 at 3:15:33 PM on 10.0.0.34 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.