Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

I just lost a bunch of my wool due to mold and water damage. I had it in storage due to moving into a smaller place. I have a few young ladies who wanted me to teach them how to crochet, etc. As well, I make hats, etc. for those in need. Now I can't make any hats or teach the girls how to crochet without wool and hooks. I live out in Canada. Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get donations?

Answer Was this helpful? 2
Best Answer

I have a friend who has been knitting jumpers, hats & gloves to send to Nepal for the last 30+ years. As you can imagine, she can't afford to buy enough wool to keep her fingers knitting, so .... she told me that she buys knitted scarfs & jumpers from Op Shops/Thrift stores, then she washes them & pulls them apart. She's been successfully doing this for years now ... I hope this helps you to find enough wool to keep your fingers moving & needles clicking ... :) Cheers, W.

I just started a group that gives elderly women yarn to crochet hats and blankets for the homeless. I am trying to get scrap yarn via Facebook, but no luck so far.
Anyone know of a place to get scraps?

By Sydney

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Look on Craigslist and even post that you need some yarn. I did a fundraiser in 2012 for a food bank and got tons. Also, for just a few cents on the dollar, thrift shops will be a good investment.

Along those lines, go to the manager and ask if they can donate some. If they can't, buying good quality mufflers and afghans are a great source too.

I once bought an afghan for 5.99 and it had about 25 skeins on it. You can imagine how much I saved!

I hope you do well. We do the same here in Salem OR with a wonderful group called the Sassy Stitchers.

I work for a non-profit organization and we are currently putting together an event for Earth Day on April 22nd. One of the crafts that we want to do calls for a lot of yarn. Due to our limited budget as a non-profit sector, I am in desperate need of donated yarn.

Any ideas for me?

Thanks!

Wow, these trees look amazing. Please share a picture after earth day!

I am a teacher at Alexander Hamilton Elementary, an inner city school, in Baltimore Maryland. I am starting a crochet class for my students. I am in need of donations of yarn and needles. Anything information you can send regarding where and how to secure donations would be appreciated. Learning crochet will help students cope with adversities in their lives.

Try sending a letter asking for donations on your schools letterhead stationary to places like hobby lobby, michaels, walmart, redheart yarn and such. Also, don't forget asking groups such as the lions club, scouts and such. Also ask on local facebook swaps.

I need to know where to find supplies. I am trying to find donations for fabrics, buttons, lace, ribbon, and yarns to sew stuffed animals, lap quilts, hats, bags, and pillow cases for the local hospital's pediatric department and ER. As a nurse I see the need for how small handmade items make a world of difference.

Any church thrift shop can give you clothing donations. There is a lot of material, and accessories like buttons and zippers, do make crafts.

I am looking for a donation of a Accuquilt Go Fabric Cutter and some dies and mats for my girls' youth program where I teach girls how to sew. We make quilts for sick kids in the hospital. Even fabric would be greatly appreciated. Where can I look for donations?

Thanks alot

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

Answer Was this helpful? 3

I would be extremely interested Bev, depending on where you live, of course. I am in the UK and would like to start making charity items for Help for Heroes and SANDS.

Cheryl

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Thank you HJ [13] , very helpful advice . There are loads of senior group homes and centers here in Jersey and i love yard sales and flea markets . I did find a place in Ohio whose donating yarn along with scraps ! I am most appreciative .

Two students from Lincoln University are wanting to set up a project for making hats and gloves for the homeless. We need as much wool as we can to make this happen, does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get donations?
Thank you.

Thank you for your advice, we are in the UK are will defiantly take it all on board,

Thank you!

I am knitting 100 scarves for the children in the Salvation Army Shelter in Brampton Ontario. Last year I knitted 50 scarves. I am the Founder of Giving Hope to the Homeless Ministry. I have 2 ladies helping, me and I need to find out where I can get yarn donated to me.

Regards.

I think you should try to get the attention of your local newspaper to do a profile on you and your cause. I am sure that donations would come your way.

Also contact local knitting and Stitch and bitch groups. They will help you out, no doubt.

I'm living in North Carolina. I would very much like to crochet hats, mittens, and socks for the homeless shelters in my town. The only problem is that I don't have the money to be able to buy the yarn I would need for it. If you or someone you know has any suggestions for where I can find donated yarn I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

You could also try www.freecycle.org if its in your area! Good luck. :)

I just moved to Philadelphia and in that move I lost a lot of yarn that I was using to make baby hats, booties, mittens, and blankets. Right now I'm trying to get back on my feet, so I can't buy any at this time. If anyone can give me any suggestions and all info you have on finding donations, I would very much be grateful.

Try joining your local "Moms" facebook page if there is one in your area. Try searching Facebook under terms like "moms" and your town and county names.

Then ask the moms if they have any extra yarn they'd be willing to donate so you can make these things.

I am a single mom and have been crocheting for 15 years. I am also a self taught knitter. My son recently expressed interest in wanting to learn to crochet. I would like to make blankets with him for the local abused women and children's shelter. It would be perfect summer projects! :)

Where can I find out about getting donated yarn for this? We have very little extra funds. I take care of my two angels 100% alone. Thanks in advance!

By Kristie

Answer Was this helpful? 1

If you go to church that would be a good place to start. Your son's school would be a good place to begin also. Try the next PTO meeting and tell them what you've told us and you'll be swamped with goodies. You might have to rent a storage unit for the yarn. (JK)

I have a small circle of girls and we make chemo caps and baby blankets to donate, we are running really low on yarn and really need ideas on ways to come up with more yarn. We don't sell anything, only donate and with the holidays coming, all of our extra cash is low. If you know of any ideas to get yarn for extremely cheap or free, I would appreciate any ideas what so ever. Thank you so much and blessed be.

By Crystal

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Yahoo has a freecycle group in different areas of the United States. If you have a yahoo email you can search yahoo for it for your city and state. The site is at "freecycle.org". Then you enter your zip or city and state and it will show you if there is a group near you. Once you are ready to post you just post a "wanted" and what it is you want. Believe me when I say that there are plenty of people out there with stuff to get rid of, including yarn. I hope this helps. Ps. I make sets for infants at a local pregnancy center. Best to you. Deb D

I'm looking for yarn, it can be any kind. It will be used to make hats for our NICU babies at our hospital Grace Hospital in Morgantown North Carolina. Can anyone be so kind to help me with suggestions on where to get donations? Ty in advance.

When I did a fundraiser for the local food bank, the local Craft Warehouse donated 100.00 worth. Also some thrift stores will, too. I am sure you have looked into what they need, but in case you needed more information, here is a very good link. Bless you!!

http://www.thepreemieproject.com/

I am doing a yarn drive for local south Floridians who knit for cancer patients, hospice, and neonatal babies. They will use any type of yarn. Where can we find donations?

By Cheryl S.

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Try yarn stores and department stores. If u explain what you are using it for, most will offer at least some. You might try and see if your local radio or TV stations (I mean public access TV or course) would let you come on to explain your need and more about your group. Call up your local paper and ask if they offer free 12 word ads for charity.

Supermarket throwaways also will give a small amount of space I'm sure. Posters on public bulletin boards like supermarkets, churches and libraries (in all cases ask first. Also major yarn makers like Bernat and Lion may help you if you send them a letter outlining your groups need and objectives and what the items will go for.

As we all know winter is just around the corner and, then it is Christmas. I and a small group of homebound people are knitting and crocheting hats and gloves for the homeless. We are all on a fixed income and can only do so much. Where can we find free yarn for our projects?
Thank you.

It's not a free source of yarn, but I often find yarn in thrift shops at a very inexpensive price.

I have a page on Facebook called "hats and scarves for needy children." I have asked for yarn donations with no luck. Is there someplace else I can post for donations?

Often people ask for donations of various types, and for good reasons and causes. However, many people who are able to donate have already been jaded by past experiences. I knew a woman who asked for donations of wearable baby clothes that she said she would provide to women's shelters. We all contributed! Eventually someone learned that she was actually selling the clothes online for herself!

Often people who truly want to help a cause ask for donations but do not realize the problems making a donation may create. When asking for donations for your cause:

**Does your project have any type of expense/income that requires IRS filing?

**What experience do you have in past donation, etc., projects that prepares you to follow through on this one?

**What do you provide to prove that your request is legal, sincere and that you have a plan to follow through?

**Do you expect people to, for example, pay to mail their yarn to you? Can be a difficult and expensive project to package and mail large amounts. Will they drive a long distance to deliver the yarn?

**What do you provide for donations that can be used for tax deductions?

Unfortunately, there are many more questions, concerns and negative past experiences people might have about a project that stops them from making any donations to any cause. If you are able to prove you have a viable and successful plan, you might then find your donations.

I work for the National MS society. We have a group in our office that get together weekly to crochet or knit projects for people with multiple sclerosis. We are in need of yarn donations.
Thank you for any suggestions you can give.

By Donna D.

Go on Craigslist and click on Wanted or Arts and Crafts. You can also "usually" advertise at your local library. I have even found craft shops like to help out too. One gave me a 100.00 gift card when I did a fund raiser. I hope these help. PBP

Load More