Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Filter Sort

Question: Where Can I Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects?

By Nelly 1

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Pippi F. 1 Flag

How do I get free yarn and crochet hooks. I would like some of anyone has any. I live in MI.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Free Craft Supplies for Charity Crafts

By Amy 1

My mom and I crochet and knit hats, scarves, and headbands for local church groups. We crochet toys for the local school and library reading programs, wash clothes for the abuse shelter, and also pet mats and toys for the Humane Society.

We make beaded bracelets for the Relay For Life walk and sew blankets, headbands, scarves, and hats for the local abuse shelter. My mom is on disability and I am unemployed. We are in need of free yarn, beading supplies, animal/cat safety eyes and fabric/ fleece. If you know of any way we could receive free supplies to continue our charity efforts please let me know. Thanks.

By Amy from Wahpeton, ND

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By orangehairgirl 1 Flag

Hello. I have a very large scarf that can be taken apart and used to knit other things. If you are interested, please message me with your address, and I will mail it to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yarn for Autism Crochet Project

By Antoinette A. 1 2

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Antoinette A. 1 2 Flag

Thank you HJ [13] , very helpful advice . There are loads of senior group homes and centers here in Jersey and i love yard sales and flea markets . I did find a place in Ohio whose donating yarn along with scraps ! I am most appreciative .

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Baby Yarn for Charity Project

By HelpingHands4Babies 1

I have begun a group of women who knit/crochet baby hats, booties, sweaters, and blankets for the Pediatric Interum Care Center in Kent, Washington. This is the only nursery in the state of Washington that deals with babies born into drugs. These little ones have nothing. Most, after having the drugs taken out of their system, go into homes that will care for them in their next phase.

These little ones need a new lease on life and a second chance, we are trying to provide this in a small way. We do need pastel baby yarn to assist in making these things. I provide the yarn free to all who would like to help with this project. Do you know where I could get some free or minimal cost yarn? We can only use pastel baby yarns. These
    little ones cannot handle other colors during and shortly after these drugs are through their bodies.

Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Donated Yarn for Charity Project

By Daniel McLeod 1

I'm living in North Carolina. I would very much like to crochet hats, mittens, and socks for the homeless shelters in my town. The only problem is that I don't have the money to be able to buy the yarn I would need for it. If you or someone you know has any suggestions for where I can find donated yarn I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

Get on Craigslist and put out feelers there. Also, sometimes thrift shops will donate supplies as well. Don't give up...if it were not for the cost of postage I would send some of mine. Good luck and bless you for the work you are doing. PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Yarn for Charity Projects

By Anita R. 1

I just lost a bunch of my wool due to mold and water damage. I had it in storage due to moving into a smaller place. I have a few young ladies who wanted me to teach them how to crochet, etc. As well, I make hats, etc. for those in need. Now I can't make any hats or teach the girls how to crochet without wool and hooks. I live out in Canada. Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get donations?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Wendy M. 4 Flag

I have a friend who has been knitting jumpers, hats & gloves to send to Nepal for the last 30+ years. As you can imagine, she can't afford to buy enough wool to keep her fingers knitting, so .... she told me that she buys knitted scarfs & jumpers from Op Shops/Thrift stores, then she washes them & pulls them apart. She's been successfully doing this for years now ... I hope this helps you to find enough wool to keep your fingers moving & needles clicking ... :) Cheers, W.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Yarn Donations for Charity Projects

By Lauren S. 1

I just started a group that gives elderly women yarn to crochet hats and blankets for the homeless. I am trying to get scrap yarn via Facebook, but no luck so far.
          Anyone know of a place to get scraps?

By Sydney

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

Look on Craigslist and even post that you need some yarn. I did a fundraiser in 2012 for a food bank and got tons. Also, for just a few cents on the dollar, thrift shops will be a good investment.

Along those lines, go to the manager and ask if they can donate some. If they can't, buying good quality mufflers and afghans are a great source too.

I once bought an afghan for 5.99 and it had about 25 skeins on it. You can imagine how much I saved!

I hope you do well. We do the same here in Salem OR with a wonderful group called the Sassy Stitchers.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Yarn for Chemo Caps and Baby Blankets

Blue, green, and black crochet star.I have a small circle of girls and we make chemo caps and baby blankets to donate, we are running really low on yarn and really need ideas on ways to come up with more yarn. We don't sell anything, only donate and with the holidays coming, all of our extra cash is low. If you know of any ideas to get yarn for extremely cheap or free, I would appreciate any ideas what so ever. Thank you so much and blessed be.

By Crystal

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Diane Charity M. 1 Flag

I have never done this but someone told me awhile back to go to good will stores or thrift stores that sell sweaters real cheap and unravel them and reuse the yarn to make things.You hate to rip apart something but if it makes the yarn cheaper it might be the way to go.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn Donations for Charity Knitting

I am doing a yarn drive for local south Floridians who knit for cancer patients, hospice, and neonatal babies. They will use any type of yarn. Where can we find donations?

By Cheryl S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By fancy61 12 26 Flag

Go to shopgoodwill.com and look in the craft section. People are selling bundles of misc. yarn at very affordable prices. Lots cheaper than you will find in the retail stores.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Yarn of Charity Project

By John Crawford 1

As we all know winter is just around the corner and, then it is Christmas. I and a small group of homebound people are knitting and crocheting hats and gloves for the homeless. We are all on a fixed income and can only do so much. Where can we find free yarn for our projects?
          Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Jacquelyn Valentine 13 193 Flag

You could try your local Free Use online community. Also, most local newspapers run a kind of "Community Happenings" column, and will let you get the word out that this is for the benefit of others and you'd like some help. This is usually a great way to help because others (who don't really want to do handiwork themselves) will want to do their part to help by donating extra yarn they have on hand.

Good luck on what sounds like a great project!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Yarn for Charity Projects

By Rashell S. 1

I have a page on Facebook called "hats and scarves for needy children." I have asked for yarn donations with no luck. Is there someplace else I can post for donations?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

All true. But, I would do a post on Craigslist. Maybe in arts and crafts. Also, please put where you live. Those who might want to donate may not be able to afford the cost. Local folks are more likely. Also, put a notice up at your local senior center and/or craft shops. Lastly, a lot of thrift shops will donate. I hope that helps. PBP

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn Donations for Charity Projects

I am a single mom and have been crocheting for 15 years. I am also a self taught knitter. My son recently expressed interest in wanting to learn to crochet. I would like to make blankets with him for the local abused women and children's shelter. It would be perfect summer projects! :)

Where can I find out about getting donated yarn for this? We have very little extra funds. I take care of my two angels 100% alone. Thanks in advance!

By Kristie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marty Dick 167 967 Flag

If you go to church that would be a good place to start. Your son's school would be a good place to begin also. Try the next PTO meeting and tell them what you've told us and you'll be swamped with goodies. You might have to rent a storage unit for the yarn. (JK)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn for Charity Craft Projects

I work for the National MS society. We have a group in our office that get together weekly to crochet or knit projects for people with multiple sclerosis. We are in need of yarn donations.
              Thank you for any suggestions you can give.

By Donna D.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Rose Anne Hutchence 7 265 Flag

How about a yarn drive, Donna? All the folk I know who knit or crochet or have done so in the past don't like to throw away their remaining supplies. You and your group could design and post ads in local grocery stores or - if you're feeling energetic - go door to door on nice days. Get the word out and you'll have all kinds of people getting in touch with you (both near and far). Yarn isn't heavy and people from neighbouring communities might also like to contribute by shipping their remnants to you.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn Donations for Charity Project

I am running a project where we are selling cat beds to raise money for a cat charity in New York. In the Big Apple it is hard to find yarn at garage sales or flea markets. Any yarn would be appreciated. Can anyone help?

By Tiffany

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lynne Borland 3 Flag

I live in the Chicago area and would be happy to donate if you are willing to pay the postage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Looking for Yarn Donations

By Geri 1

I am a senior citizen that loves to crochet hats and lapghans for cancer patients also residents in nursing homes. I donated 50 lapghans to residents in an assisted living facility where my mother lived and they sure appreciated them.

I have used most of my yarn and being that I am on a limited budget would like to know if anyone would have yarn that they would like to donate. I do buy yarn at garage sales and flea markets when I see some.

Thank you very much and God Bless you all.

By Geri H.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By C.thorp 1 Flag

I woulg like any donations that you may have. 2401 Page Green Rd Cortland ny13045

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I am a 15 year old girl from New Hampshire. My great grandmother taught me how to crochet a while ago. I decided to get started on it again and use the skill to give back to others. Since I am 15 I do not have much money, and I haven't been able to find a job, I have very limited supplies. Does anyone know where I would be able to get free supplies so I can continue making scarves, blankets, etc. for people in need? Thank you for reading.

By Gabriella

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By geminisinger 2 7 Flag

There is an organization called Threads of Love whose members supply local hospitals with premature baby gowns, blankets, etc. Some people donate yarn, fabric etc in lieu of sewing, knitting, or crocheting. Check the website: www.threadsoflove.org to find out if there is a local chapter in your hometown. Someone from that group may be willing supply you with yarn to crochet for the babies...

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Donated Yarn For Charity Events

By Val103 1

I am currently sponsoring a charity event for making knitted or crocheted items for babies, women, men, and families who are need of warm outer wear this winter. It gets extremely cold here in Michigan. Most times it is below zero and the gas bills get outrageous for many elderly persons.

There are two other ladies and myself that will be volunteering our time to make items such as blankets, gloves, hats, earmuffs, scarfs, leg warmers, lap blankets, shawls, ponchos, etc., anything else that would keep them warm and comfortable. I am looking for any companies or persons who would be willing to donate any yarn for our mission. Any consideration will be greatly appreciated.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Yarn Donations

By JoyAnna P. 1

I am crocheting hats and blankets for the homeless, elderly, and needy in my area. I am running low on yarn. Does anyone know where I can get yarn donations?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Free yarn is usually difficult to find. You can try advertising at senior community centers, churches, checking thrift stores and garage sales, etc.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Megan H. 1

My daughter was born with a heart defect and had to have open heart surgery at two months old. She will remain a cardiologist's patient for the rest of her life. Her surgery was performed at our closest children's hospital which is Children's Healthcare of Atlanta, at no cost to our family. They took great care of us while we were there and I am thankful every day for them and what they have given me because without them my daughter wouldn't be here today.

I don't have any money to donate to the hospital so I thought I would crochet hats for the kids at the hospital and wanted to know if anyone knows of any places that I can contact that will donate yarn. While in Atlanta I met many parents whose children have been there for months upon months, some waiting for transplants. I thought it might brighten a child's day to have a hat made for them. So if you could please let me know of any place you can think of.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Donna 309 325 Flag

I'd see if there is a volunteer group that works at the hosptial. They might be a resource for you. If they have a non profit status they might be able to buy discounted yarn or possibly get it donated for your project. They might even WANT to help!

If you have the time, perhaps you can volunteer your time at the hospital and help future parents in the same heart wrenching circumstances you all had to endure.

Good Luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn for Charity Projects

By Amanda L. 1

I have a few people here that are wanting to help homeless youth out in Winnipeg. We have recently found out about a place called RAY that helps teens out with all sorts of everyday necessities. We were hoping to find some donations of wool to knit hats and scarves and possibly some material to make some baby blankets. Anyone that has any ideas let me know.

Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Patricia66 6 Flag

Contact local churches and ask them if they have a group (like a women's bible study group) that would be interested in helping you collect yarn or alternatively, if they would mind you setting up a collection box in their facility. Also ask about running a short notice in the weekly bulletin to let people know what you are doing and why. Be prepared for a few rejections but I can just about guarantee that most will be happy to help. (I'd ask any friends you may have who attend a church first, you may get all you need there.)

Another alternative is to approach stores for a donation. Do so at the beginning of the month if possible, as the big chains set aside a certain dollar amount of merchandise they give away each month. Ask to speak with the manager when you go.

Lastly, I'd write a letter (not an email) to the big manufacturers of yarn like Red Hart and ask for 'seconds'. They can only say no, and you'll only be out a stamp or three. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn Donations

By Heather Marie L. 1

My 10 year-old daughter and I came up with an idea to make hats and scarves to donate to her former elementary school during the fall to help with their coat drive. We would like to make at least 30 sets for the upcoming fall. We are running out of yarn to get us to our goal. Any suggestions?

By Heather Marie L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Paula 2 4 Flag

Have you posted a request on freecycle.org? Or the Wanted section of Craigslist might even ask a church Pastor to ask for donations of yarn. That's a nice idea you have!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I am starting to crochet hats, scarves, and blankets for our disabled and homeless vets. I am disabled myself and on a fixed income. I am having trouble getting started because I can't find any one to donate any yarn. How can I get the word out better?

By Jennifer M. from Baltimore, MD

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Advertize your charity plan by placing placards or notes with your local religious centers, various non-profit offices, senior centers, city offices, stores (if they allow), local social clubs such as volunteer associations-men's and women's, etc. Once you get the word out, the yarn will come.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Yarn for Charity Auction

I am trying to find out where I can find free yarn to create items to raise money at an auction for Cystic Fiberosis. I am doing this in honor of my niece who has CF and I want to help with her medical costs and others who are going through the same things as she is. But money is really tight and hard for me to buy yarn. Where can I go?

By K.P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 466 2,132 Flag

I did a fundraiser in Oct-Nov of 2012 and local thrift stores sometimes help. And don't forget that you can get yarn second hand but not used. I have found huge bags of unrolled skeins that are still not used, but they charged 12.99 for 20 of them, which is a 70.00 value. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Free Yarn Donations for My Ministry

I am a missionary, for an organization called Dirty Vagabond Ministries. I work in North Carolina with high school aged kids who live in the poorest areas of the city. Several of the girls I work with have expressed an interest in wanting to learn how to knit and crochet.

The ministry I work for does not have the money for extra expenses such as crafts, and I often use my own money. As you can imagine, being a missionary I do not make a lot of money, so now I am reaching out to the craft community. I was wondering if anyone knew of some organizations I could reach out to for supplies, such as yarn, knitting needles, and crochet hooks. Thank you for your time and God bless you and your families.

By Sha

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Lynne Borland 3 Flag

I have lots of scrap yarn that I am willing to donate but you would need to pay for the postage.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Crochet Yarn for Charity Projects

By Shaunna JF 1

A group of ladies that I work with started crocheting hats and scarves for the Department of Veterans Affairs Homeless Veterans Program. We try to use our own funds to supply the yarn and I've provided most everyone with the hooks, but we could sure use more yarn. Though we are heading in to spring and the need may not be so great for hats or scarves, winter will be here again in 6-8 months!

Does anyone know where we should look for donated yarn for scarves and hats used for homeless veterans?

By Shaunna F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Nikki 16 Flag

Thrift stores are good, and you can always find sweaters there to unravel for yarn. Also post ads on craigslist looking for donations as well as freecycle.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Yarn Donations for Charity Projects

By Poohbear48 1

We are looking for donations of yarn and assorted size crochet hooks to make 100 throws for children. Where can we get supplies donations?

By Poohbear48 from Syracuse, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl 8 Flag

I would call or contact the manager of various craft stores and tell them about your project, maybe even print up a flyer. Let them know it's a non-for-profit program to help kids. You could also check with friends and neighbors, thrift stores, or ebay for deals. If the throws are to be donated to a hospital, maybe you could take up a collection from nurses on that floor.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Yarn Donations for Charity Projects

We have a couple of resources for kids on the streets in Portland, Oregon: p:ear (spelled correctly), and Outside In. My sister was able to get help from both organizations and now volunteers. I would like to find donated yarn to be able to continue donating both, yarn for them to knit and crochet, and yarn for myself and friends to make finished projects to donate. Both organizations rely upon donations. Any suggestions?

By Judy S.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Free Yarn and Knitting Needles for Charity Projects

By princess31657 1

I do this thing with my friends where we make scarfs and hats to give to homeless shelters and children in need. But we can't afford to get too much yarn and it's a really big shelter. So if anyone can tell me where to get free yarn, I would be so grateful.

Thank you.

By princess31657 from Mississauga, ON

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Finding Yarn Donations for Youth Project

We are a small group of ministry women who need yarn and needles to teach kids from age 6 up to knit and crochet.

By Wendy H

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

By Tessa J. 1

skeins of yarnI am trying to get free yarn donations so that I can make handmade items for those in need. Please any help in locating a source would be appreciated.

By Tessa J.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

By Veniceh 1

I would like to know how to get yarn donated. I am making prayer shawls for cancer patients, please help me with this project to help others.

By Veniceh from Norfolk, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Where to Get Free Yarn for Charity Projects

I volunteer for a charity that knits and crochets warm clothing (mostly hats, scarves, mitts) and afghans for shelters in the London, Ontario area. Any yarn donations would be greatly appreciated! Anyone know where I could get some? Any yarn that you no longer want or need, any colour and any amount would be greatly appreciated! All yarn donated will be made for items for this important cause! Thanks!

By Stephanie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

How can I find free yarn? I am making hats for cancer patients.

By Karla T.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Where can I get free yarn for charity projects? I'm making hats and scarves for "Occupy Wall Street" and I need some donated yarn to continue this project. These hats are not for sale at all they are for the donations only, but I need more yarn. So if you have any or know where I can get some donations I would love to have it. Please, and thank you very much!

By Albert B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 15, 2013
                      ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                      Fabric
                      Donating Fabric to Charity
                      Young woman using computer
                      Finding Free WiFi Connections
                      Vintage Craft Tools
                      Finding Vintage Craft Tools and Supplies
                      Giving to Charity
                      Giving to Charity
                      © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 10:05:23 AM on 10.0.0.246 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
                      NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                      Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                      BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                      CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings