Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects

Formal and informal groups that make projects such as knit hats to donate to charities or for fundraisers often do not have the funds to purchase supplies. This guide is about finding free craft supplies for charity projects.

April 8, 2015 Flag

I just started a group that gives elderly women yarn to crochet hats and blankets for the homeless. I am trying to get scrap yarn via Facebook, but no luck so far.
Anyone know of a place to get scraps?

By Sydney

Best Answer

Look on Craigslist and even post that you need some yarn. I did a fundraiser in 2012 for a food bank and got tons. Also, for just a few cents on the dollar, thrift shops will be a good investment.

Along those lines, go to the manager and ask if they can donate some. If they can't, buying good quality mufflers and afghans are a great source too.

I once bought an afghan for 5.99 and it had about 25 skeins on it. You can imagine how much I saved!

I hope you do well. We do the same here in Salem OR with a wonderful group called the Sassy Stitchers.

Best Answer

November 10, 2015 Flag

I just lost a bunch of my wool due to mold and water damage. I had it in storage due to moving into a smaller place. I have a few young ladies who wanted me to teach them how to crochet, etc. As well, I make hats, etc. for those in need. Now I can't make any hats or teach the girls how to crochet without wool and hooks. I live out in Canada. Is there anyone who can suggest where I can get donations?

Best Answer

I have a friend who has been knitting jumpers, hats & gloves to send to Nepal for the last 30+ years. As you can imagine, she can't afford to buy enough wool to keep her fingers knitting, so .... she told me that she buys knitted scarfs & jumpers from Op Shops/Thrift stores, then she washes them & pulls them apart. She's been successfully doing this for years now ... I hope this helps you to find enough wool to keep your fingers moving & needles clicking ... :) Cheers, W.

August 9, 2015 Flag

I am a board member of a non-profit, called Nassan's Place, in New Jersey. We help families who have autistic children/adults. I want to start crocheting classes for the parents and the children who are able to participate. I have 2 children of my own who are on the spectrum, but through B-complex vitamins, low sugar diet, no meds and a ton of consistency and love, both are becoming more self sufficient each day.

Crocheting helped me during those difficult times when I didn't know how to help my boys and I want to share the feeling of self worth with my parents because most are overwhelmed. Most children living with autism are fascinated with repetitive motion, so what better way to get them to use their hands and see themselves creating something? Can anyone share where I can find yarn or scraps that can be donated to us? Thanks in advance to all replies.

If you have senior centers in your area, you may be able to put a note on their bulletin boards or in their newsletters. Many seniors are downsizing and are more than willing to give their craft supplies if they can find a "good home" for them. Also yard sales may be an option for you. You have a heart of gold to pursue this project. My hat's off to you for all your effort. I hope it more than meets your expectations.

March 23, 2011 Flag

I am trying to keep my seniors busy and in the process address needs of needy communities. We are knitting and crocheting various items and for us to do this we need yarn. If anyone has left over yarn to donate l would be so grateful once again to have it. Thank you in advance.

By Nelly from Potomac, MD

I would be extremely interested Bev, depending on where you live, of course. I am in the UK and would like to start making charity items for Help for Heroes and SANDS.

Cheryl

January 29, 2016 Flag

Two students from Lincoln University are wanting to set up a project for making hats and gloves for the homeless. We need as much wool as we can to make this happen, does anyone have any suggestions of where we can get donations?

Thank you.

Thank you for your help! Your project sounds really good, what a great idea! Would you at all be interested in getting involved?

Thank you!!

August 31, 2015 Flag

I'm living in North Carolina. I would very much like to crochet hats, mittens, and socks for the homeless shelters in my town. The only problem is that I don't have the money to be able to buy the yarn I would need for it. If you or someone you know has any suggestions for where I can find donated yarn I would appreciate your help. Thanks.

You could also try www.freecycle.org if its in your area! Good luck. :)

June 1, 2016 Flag

I'm looking for yarn, it can be any kind. It will be used to make hats for our NICU babies at our hospital Grace Hospital in Morgantown North Carolina. Can anyone be so kind to help me with suggestions on where to get donations? Ty in advance.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I did a fundraiser for the local food bank, the local Craft Warehouse donated 100.00 worth. Also some thrift stores will, too. I am sure you have looked into what they need, but in case you needed more information, here is a very good link. Bless you!!

http://www.thepreemieproject.com/

September 11, 2015 Flag

As we all know winter is just around the corner and, then it is Christmas. I and a small group of homebound people are knitting and crocheting hats and gloves for the homeless. We are all on a fixed income and can only do so much. Where can we find free yarn for our projects?
Thank you.

It's not a free source of yarn, but I often find yarn in thrift shops at a very inexpensive price.

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have a page on Facebook called "hats and scarves for needy children." I have asked for yarn donations with no luck. Is there someplace else I can post for donations?

Often people ask for donations of various types, and for good reasons and causes. However, many people who are able to donate have already been jaded by past experiences. I knew a woman who asked for donations of wearable baby clothes that she said she would provide to women's shelters. We all contributed! Eventually someone learned that she was actually selling the clothes online for herself!

Often people who truly want to help a cause ask for donations but do not realize the problems making a donation may create. When asking for donations for your cause:

**Does your project have any type of expense/income that requires IRS filing?

**What experience do you have in past donation, etc., projects that prepares you to follow through on this one?

**What do you provide to prove that your request is legal, sincere and that you have a plan to follow through?

**Do you expect people to, for example, pay to mail their yarn to you? Can be a difficult and expensive project to package and mail large amounts. Will they drive a long distance to deliver the yarn?

**What do you provide for donations that can be used for tax deductions?

Unfortunately, there are many more questions, concerns and negative past experiences people might have about a project that stops them from making any donations to any cause. If you are able to prove you have a viable and successful plan, you might then find your donations.

March 29, 2015 Flag

I am a single mom and have been crocheting for 15 years. I am also a self taught knitter. My son recently expressed interest in wanting to learn to crochet. I would like to make blankets with him for the local abused women and children's shelter. It would be perfect summer projects! :)

Where can I find out about getting donated yarn for this? We have very little extra funds. I take care of my two angels 100% alone. Thanks in advance!

By Kristie

If you go to church that would be a good place to start. Your son's school would be a good place to begin also. Try the next PTO meeting and tell them what you've told us and you'll be swamped with goodies. You might have to rent a storage unit for the yarn. (JK)

November 13, 2013 Flag

I have a small circle of girls and we make chemo caps and baby blankets to donate, we are running really low on yarn and really need ideas on ways to come up with more yarn.

Blue, green, and black crochet star.

March 19, 2015 Flag

I work for the National MS society. We have a group in our office that get together weekly to crochet or knit projects for people with multiple sclerosis. We are in need of yarn donations.

Load More
Better Living Charity AdviceNovember 15, 2013
Craft Supplies
Selling Excess Craft Supplies
Fabric
Donating Fabric to Charity
Young woman using computer
Finding Free WiFi Connections
Giving to Charity
Giving to Charity
🎉
🎄