Finding the Value of Old Webster's Dictionaries

Trying to find out the value of old books can be daunting at times. This is a guide about finding the value of old Webster's dictionaries.

Old Webster's Dictionary
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have come to own a 1896 reprint of the original Webster's Dictionary. I have tried to research it online, but have found no information. Is there any value to it? The spine was torn off when I received it. I would like to have it rebound. But do not want to take away from any value ot may have.

Thank you.

cover of dictionaryValue of 1896 Webster's Dictionary
    Value of 1896 Webster's Dictionary
    AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most dictionaries have little value-a few dollars at most, especially those in rough shape. Even repaired books are not worth the repair cost. You can research online and try this book site:

http://www.book-collecting-tips.com/old-book-values.html

How much would a 1913 Webster's Dictionary be worth? It's a second edition in mint shape.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Does anyone have any information on a 1942 Webster's Practical Illustrated dictionary with atlas of the world and a digest of military and naval facts?

1942 Webster's Dictionary
        AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for responding. This was my husbands grandfather's book and he plans on keeping it, but, we will do as you suggest about online places too.

Read More Answers...

I found this dictionary called the,"Webster's Practical Illustrated Dictionary." The publish date is 1941, and it is the new census edition. I have been looking all over online and can't find anything relating to it. It was published by the World Publishing Company and printed in the United States. Also what is the potential value of this specific dictionary?

cover
          AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the value of a 1859 Webster's dictionary?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. EBay has an 1859 Webster's Dictionary for $10.00. You can check Craig's List and online book collectors for possible interest and prices.

I have a Peabody's Webster's dictionary with no copyright. It looks extremely old. Can anyone tell me how to get a price for it?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
              Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a copy of the 1923, Webster New International Dictionary. What is the value? It is an extremely large dictionary with a section in the rear showing pictures and names of misc. items, such as zoology, plants, etc.

By J.M.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found one example that sold recently for 25 dollars. I don't know which party paid the shipping.

Read More Answers...

My dictionary is in decent shape. The binding is good, some fraying on top and bottom edges. There are some loose pages that are blank, but the rest is in decent shape. It needs to be in the hands of someone who knows how to keep it from getting worse. Any ideas of the value and who could care for it?

By Bre

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Bre,

Do you still have the Webster Dictionary? I am interested in getting it if you have it? please contact me at thirtydegreesfareheit@gmail.com

Read More Answers...

Does it have any value?

By Kathy from Pittsburgh, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Kathy,

Do you still have the webster dictionary? I am interested if you still do. Please contact me at thirtydegreesfarenheit@gmail.com

Read More Answers...

What is the value of 1858 Webster dictionary?

By Antonio from Wellington, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Antonio,

I'm looking for a Webster dictionary for a friend. If you still have it, please contact me at thirtydegreesfarenheit@gmail.com Thanks!

Read More Answers...

I would like to find out how much, if anything, this dictionary is worth.

By Linda A

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What is the value of a 1955 Webster's dictionary in good condition?

By Mel from Kansas City

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Seems almost everyone has old books they want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

My grandfather gave me a dictionary from 1972. I wish to know if it has value. It is in great condition it is the Webster's New World Dictionary of the American language from 1972 by the Southern Company in Nashville, Tennessee.

By Abdi R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most old dictionaries have little (a few dollars max) or no value at all as almost everything now is computer based, and is always updated and current.

1972 may seem a long time ago for you, however, for many people it is "just yesterday"!

I have a 1957 Webster dictionary second edition unabridged. I would like to know if this is worth selling, saving, or throwing away.

By Michael

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I want to know the value of a 1957 hard back dictionary.

View of indexed edge.What is the value of Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary, Enlarged and Revised to 1891 by Rt. Rev. Samuel Fallows DD? It is a huge volume at 5 inches thick and 2083 pages. The outside cover is taped together, but the inside still intact. The pages are also in good condition, not showing any moisture or insect damage. It is very readable. In front are color illustrated flags, seals, and signals. Also in front is a picture of Webster and a memoir of Webster and history of lexicography and list of dictionaries. In the back there are pictorial illustrations and plates, pronunciation of modern geographical names, and population of US cities, over 8000 population, according to 1890 census. The back cover has a recipe for poultry and game under the fabric. Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary 1891

By Judy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dictionaries were put out in large quantities, so, like Bibles - they often do not have great value - & this is damaged. However, as an unabridged dictionary, it might have some value as a reference & even as a collectible - but don't get your hopes up!

Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksJuly 9, 2013
              Grolier's Book of Knowledge
              Finding the Value of Grolier's Book of Knowledge Encyclopedias
              Stack of very old encyclopedias.
              Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
              Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
              Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
              Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
              Determining the Value of Silver Jewelry
              © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 30, 2016 at 6:05:09 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 442 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.