Finding the Value of Old Webster's Dictionaries

Trying to find out the value of old books can be daunting at times. This is a guide about finding the value of old Webster's dictionaries.

Filter Sort

Question: Value of Webster New International Dictionary

I have a copy of the 1923, Webster New International Dictionary. What is the value? It is an extremely large dictionary with a section in the rear showing pictures and names of misc. items, such as zoology, plants, etc.

By J.M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

I found one example that sold recently for 25 dollars. I don't know which party paid the shipping.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Old Webster's Dictionary

By Nate T. 1

I have a Peabody's Webster's dictionary with no copyright. It looks extremely old. Can anyone tell me how to get a price for it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

April 27, 2015Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1931 Webster's New International Dictionary

I would like to find out how much, if anything, this dictionary is worth.

By Linda A

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1896 Webster's Dictionary

My dictionary is in decent shape. The binding is good, some fraying on top and bottom edges. There are some loose pages that are blank, but the rest is in decent shape. It needs to be in the hands of someone who knows how to keep it from getting worse. Any ideas of the value and who could care for it?

By Bre

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Many people have old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities.

You can try this site to start:

http://www.book-collecting-tips.com/old-book-values.html

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1906 Webster's Dictionary

Does it have any value?

By Kathy from Pittsburgh, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,046 Flag

That will depend on a lot of things including the condition, whether or not it is the first printing, the binding and so forth. If you could come up with pictures of the cover, binding, copyright page, etc. there may be somewhere online where you could send this info. Try googling "value old books".

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster Dictionary

What is the value of 1858 Webster dictionary?

By Antonio from Wellington, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Seems almost everyone has old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1955 Webster's Dictionary

What is the value of a 1955 Webster's dictionary in good condition?

By Mel from Kansas City

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Seems almost everyone has old books they want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1972 Webster's Dictionary

My grandfather gave me a dictionary from 1972. I wish to know if it has value. It is in great condition it is the Webster's New World Dictionary of the American language from 1972 by the Southern Company in Nashville, Tennessee.

By Abdi R

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,354 Flag

Most old dictionaries have little (a few dollars max) or no value at all as almost everything now is computer based, and is always updated and current.

1972 may seem a long time ago for you, however, for many people it is "just yesterday"!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

I have a 1957 Webster dictionary second edition unabridged. I would like to know if this is worth selling, saving, or throwing away.

By Michael

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By tammyjean 1 Flag

I want to know the value of a 1957 hard back dictionary.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary 1891

View of indexed edge.What is the value of Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary, Enlarged and Revised to 1891 by Rt. Rev. Samuel Fallows DD? It is a huge volume at 5 inches thick and 2083 pages. The outside cover is taped together, but the inside still intact. The pages are also in good condition, not showing any moisture or insect damage. It is very readable. In front are color illustrated flags, seals, and signals. Also in front is a picture of Webster and a memoir of Webster and history of lexicography and list of dictionaries. In the back there are pictorial illustrations and plates, pronunciation of modern geographical names, and population of US cities, over 8000 population, according to 1890 census. The back cover has a recipe for poultry and game under the fabric. Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary 1891

By Judy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By pam munro 522 790 Flag

Dictionaries were put out in large quantities, so, like Bibles - they often do not have great value - & this is damaged. However, as an unabridged dictionary, it might have some value as a reference & even as a collectible - but don't get your hopes up!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster's Encyclopedia Dictionary 1891

old dictionaryI have an original Webster's encyclopedia dictionary 1891. It is in good condition, not mint. Could you give me approximate value?

By Jon

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value Webster's New International Dictionary

I am interested in the value of a 1935 Second edition- G&C Merriam, Publisher, with over 3200 pages.

By Ross G.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1927 Webster's Dictionary

I have a 1927 Webster dictionary, editor W.T Harris, general editor Sturgess Allen, Springfield Mass USA, Published G .C Merriam Company.
    I'm looking at selling this. It has been passed down to me.
    Could you please reply via email an approx sale price of this or if you know anyone interested in buying this I would be interested in selling.

By David from Australia Victoria

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

What is the value of Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary, enlarged and revised to 1891 by Rt. Rev. Samuel Fallows DD? It is a huge volume at 5 inches thick and 2083 pages. The outside cover is taped together, but the inside is still intact. The pages are also in good condition, not showing any moisture or insect damage. It is very readable. In front are color illustrated flags, seals, and signals. Also in front is a picture of Webster and a memoir of Webster and history of lexicography and list of dictionaries. In the back there are pictorial illustrations and plates, pronunciation of modern geographical names, and population of US cities, over 8000 population, according to 1890 census.

By Marilynn N.G. from New Brunswick, Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1955 Webster Dictionary

I have a Webster dictionary, copywrite 1955. It is a huge hard cover book. Is it worth anything?

By Rubie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1940 Webster Dictionary

By Bronwyn Roberts 1

I have a 1940 Noah Webster, LL.D. dictionary. What is the value of it? The dictionary is volume 1, A-LITHISTID

By Bronwyn from Charleston, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Information on the Webster's Modern Multi-Pictured Dictionary

I can not find a date anywhere on this book, it is of the English language, self pronunciation, edge index, edited by Meine and Koffuer, Columbia.

By Pam

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1961 2nd Edition Webster's Dictionary

How do I find the value of a Webster's dictionary?

By jbc3691

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1940 Dictionary with Page Binding Error

The huge 2006 page, plus maps, etc. at end, Websters Universal dictionary I have, has approximately 130 pages in the wrong place. It was bound that way. Does that up the value?

By Roger from Phoenix, AZ

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster's Dictionary

What is the value of a leather bound Webster's dictionary with 1910 census and illustrated first edition. It is in fair condition, worn, but no loose pages.

By CH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster Encyclopedia Dictionary

I am interested in finding the value of a vintage 1955 Webster encyclopedia Dictionary 14 book set. It is in very good condition.

By Nana punk

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of 1953-1954 Webster Unified Dictionary and Encylopedia

I have a 1953-1954 Webster Unified Dictionary and Encylopedia by H.S. Stuttman. How much is it worth?

By Karen from Dawson Creek, BC Canada

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Encyclopedia Dictionary copyright 1963

How much is the book worth?

By Ellen F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Webster's Unified Dictionary and Encyclopedia

I have the Webster's Unified Dictionary and Encyclopedia copyright 1958 by H.S. STUTTMAN CO, in good condition. Can I sell this to an auction?

By Virginia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Vintage Dictionary

By chakib 1

What is the value of Websters New Collegiate dictionary, copyright 1949? Where can I find collectors for this item and sell it?

By Kathleen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Living Webster Encyclopedia Dictionary

What is the value of the Living Webster encyclopedia dictionary copyright 1977 in excellent condition?

By Kim

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Old Dictionary

I have an old Webster's dictionary, it is dated 1876. It is in good condition, is it worth anything?

By Kelley F.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dictionary Value

I have an 8x11 encyclopedic edition of Webster's New World dictionary. It is 2,070 pages, hardbound, and in good condition. Is it valuable?

By Chris

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Value of Vintage Dictionary

I have a blue covered, The Little Webster, A Lilliput Dictionary, dated 1957 by Langenscheidl KG. The publishers are Berlin- Schoneberg. It was printed in Germany. Could someone give me a ballpark figure of what it is worth today?

By John C

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Old Webster's Dictionary
    Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksJuly 9, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Stack of very old encyclopedias.
    Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets
    Antique Glass Bowl
    Finding the Value of an Antique Glass Bowl
    Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
    Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
    Finding New Friends, Circle of Friends
    Finding New Friends
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 12, 2016 at 10:34:45 PM on 10.0.0.57 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings