Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Fixing Soup That's Too Sweet

Sometimes your soup is good, but somehow it got too much sweetener. This guide is about fixing soup that is too sweet.

November 21, 2005 Flag

If you make soup and it comes out too sweet, just add a little salt or a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to it.

By ThriftyFun

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 12, 2011 Flag

I made homemade tomato soup as I can't have salt. It tastes really good, but is a bit too sweet. Vinegar sounded like only thing I could use, but pickle juice is full of sodium.

It was a little thin so I put in a little mashed potato flakes. I used half and half to make it a bit creamier, but help! It's still too sweet. Thanks.

By Vivien from Fort Worth, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You don't have to use pickle juice if you need vinegar. Just use vinegar. Plain cider vinegar.

To cut the sweet taste I always use baking soda. Just a pinch though otherwise it will become bland. Works great if you're making spaghetti sauce also.

Lemon and/or lime juice would probably do the trick, too.

Be sure you're not using canned tomatoes with added sugar.

September 25, 2009 Flag

I made some beef soup and one of the ingredients I used was very sweet. I would like to know how can I take the sweetness out?

By nanakuligirl from Graham

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This happened to me just this week (soup was too salty). what worked well for me was straining about 1/2 of the liquid and replacing it with water. it sounds kind of wasteful to drain off the broth, but it's a whole lot wasteful than not being able to eat the food.

Add some white potatoes or instant potatoes to it, good luck.

Too many onions or carrots will make it taste sweet.

Put some canned tomatoes or tomatoe paste in and cook a little more.

I like your answer better, thanks, that's what I had to do was to drain some of the liquid and add more.

January 16, 2013 Flag

I made a pot of vegetable soup using soup bones, carrots, potatos, okra, and onion. The spices were two bay leaves, a teaspoon of thyme, a tablespoon of chili powder, a tablespoon of salt, about a teaspoon of pepper, and a couple of squirts of Worcestershire sauce. I also added a can of diced tomatoes but didn't notice until after the fact that they were fire roasted tomatoes. The soup has a sweet taste that is weird and I'd like to get rid of it. Any suggestions?

By Sue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Food FixesDecember 18, 2012
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
granulated and cube sugar
Fixing A Recipe with Too Much Sugar
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs
Office chair with lime green cushions.
Fixing a Squeaky Office Chair
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 23, 2017 at 3:27:47 AM on 10.0.1.232 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.