Freezing Celery

Can you freeze fresh celery? I buy it by the bunch, but cannot use all of it before it is just not usable. Can you process and freeze?

By Lisa T.

You can wash, slice and freeze celery but it won't be crunchy when thawed. It is fine to use in soups or stews but no good for using in tuna salad or something like that.

To keep celery fresh for use in salads, etc., you can wrap the entire stalk in aluminum foil. Don't wash the celery and make sure you dry off any moisture first. Make sure you mold the foil to the celery as much as possible and both ends are completely enclosed. Each time you use some of the celery, just make sure to re-wrap it. I have kept celery fresh in the refrigerator for as much as three weeks this way.

I'm doing that right now! I'm not the biggest celery fan, but some things just aren't as tasty without it. I cut it up and spread the slices on a cookie sheet so they don't freeze stuck together. After they're frozen I'm going to bag them up in stew appropriate portions.

Yes! wash it, dry it and chop it up. Put it in plastic bags and freeze it. You can take out what you need for cooking. It will be a little to soft for serving fresh but the flavor is still there.

I just stick the whole stalk (thing) into a glass big enough to hold it upright and put water in it and stick it on the shelf and have kept it up to 2 months because I don't use a lot at one time. If it takes longer than a month or so I just dry it but you can freeze it like the others and just keep 3 or 4 stalks in the glass with green onions