Using Frozen Celery

I have read through the posts, but have not seen my question. I froze some cut up celery. After thawing it out, I see it has some browning to it. Will it still be safe to use for my stew? Thank you.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer
  • Lettuce can be frozen fresh or blanched. Possibly the way your celery was frozen or the length of time frozen could be the reason for brown spots.
  • Some health sites state the brown spots may be a fungus but that seems to be dealing with fresh celery.
  • The brown spots may not be a health hazard but they may have an off taste and may actually be a little spoiled.
  • I would not recommend using the parts with brown spots in your stew.
  • Try substituting another vegetable or spices instead.
  • Here is a very good site with instructions on caring and/or freezing celery.
  • Ad

• https://www.the … e-celery-1388395
Best Answer

It is safe to use in your stew. I often freeze celery tops and leaves for this purpose. I, also, freeze diced onion in 1/2 cup portions.

It might night taste as good as it was when it was fresh, but you are using it in a stew. Cut off the brown parts to improve appearance.

It will be fine to use.

Yes just cut off the brown spots.It does lose flavor .

There are certain rules to freezing foods and celery falls under these rules.

1. According to all guides for freezing food there are certain foods that just can't be frozen.
  2. Rule one - if it didn't taste good the first time you ate it, it sure won't taste good after you freeze it. In other words, don't freeze food with a bad taste. Freezing won't help them taste better.
  3. Rule two - If you freeze foods with high moisture content such as oranges, watermelons, or cucumbers, don't plan on eating them raw again after they are defrosted. If you want to use them in cooking tomatoes will be fine, but not cucumbers.
  4. Rule three - don't freeze custards, blocks of cheese or yogurts. The freezer changes the content of the food.
  5. List of raw vegetables that should never be frozen: onions, lettuce, cucumbers, celery, potatoes, radishes, greens, sprouts, and peppers.
  6. Ad

7. According to this list you shouldn't freeze celery for your health and safety I wouldn't use it in my stew. According to others this should be fine. I am one that follows the advice of people who know if the food is safe to freeze or not. This is one food that they say isn't safe to freeze. If you do decide to use this in your stew it night not taste right or cause a problem.
  8. Here is some good information on what foods are safe to freeze and what shouldn't be frozen: http://www.thek … eeze-list-167949