Freezing Celery

Can I, and if so, how do I freeze celery?

By Guy

Best Answer

I would not suggest freezing celery because of the high moisture content. It will be brown and mushy when you defrost it. However, celery is a great candidate for dehydrating. Slice it thin and follow the instructions on the dehydrator. You can dry the leaves as well.

Dehydrated celery should keep for a long time. Use in soups and sauces that require simmering or boiling. The dried leaves are an interesting herb similar to parsley.

I freeze diced onions, green peppers and celery together on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. After a couple of hours I then transfer to individual sandwich bags in the amounts I use for cooking and then pop it into a gallon size freezer bag.

They have always turned out great and saves so much time when I'm cooking!

Yes. Wash it, dry it, chop it, put it in bags. and freeze it. I have done it for years.

I always chop celery into small chunks (after washing them), and put them into gallon freezer bags. After I put them into the baggies, I squish all of the air out of the bags, then zip them up, and I lay them flat. I never have any trouble with them clumping up. They are just like fresh, when I cook them. I do my onions and bell peppers, the same way.

Remember that when you freeze celery, it will thaw "mushy", so ;you will only want to use it in cooked dishes.

Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 28, 2011
📓
🌻
🎂