Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Freezing Cookie Dough

Having cookie dough available in the freezer can make quick cookies for snacks. This guide is about freezing cookie dough.

July 24, 2012 Flag

Mix up your favorite cookie dough. Make extra and freeze in ice cube trays. When you want to bake several cookies or more pull out you ice cube tray and pop out as many cookies as you want to bake.

I always have cookie dough in the freezer ready to bake. When you mix up your own dough, you know what is in it, and it saves you money over the store bought cookie dough.

Source: A friend shared this info with me a long time ago.

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Its best when they are frozen to put the dough in a baggie to keep them fresh. I do a similar thing of putting the cookie dough on a cookie sheet with wax paper under them and when completely frozen I put in a baggie. Then I can pull out a couple for me or a bunch for my grandchildren. I do whole batches when I feel like cooking. Frozen keeps me from eating a lot when they are cooked and I always have cookies for my grandchildren.

December 9, 2010 Flag

I have found most cookie dough can be made ahead of time and baked later. Be sure to tightly wrap the rolls of cookie dough in plastic wrap, chill in the refrigerator, and then freeze.

For drop cookies, I freeze them on a baking sheet, then transfer them to freezer bags. This works great for chocolate chip, sugar, oatmeal, and peanut butter cookies. Thaw the cookie dough for 30 minutes before baking.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also freeze cookie dough but I just freeze it in a lump or big patty. It can be rolled after it thaws or if they are drop cookies they can just be scooped out.

September 15, 2012 Flag

I was making cookies the other day and decided that I didn't want to bake the whole batch of dough. So, using my cookie dough scoop, I put the dough onto a baking sheet, and placed the whole sheet into the freezer until the dough was frozen.

I then removed them from the freezer, laid the dough balls onto pieces of waxed paper so they didn't touch, then placed them into a freezer bag.
On the bag I wrote what kind they were, the date I packaged the dough, and the baking instructions for when I decide to bake them. Now I can bake as many cookies as I want! :)

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

To save time, when making cookie dough, make at least one extra batch. Divide the extra batch, and put into clean frozen juice cans, covering the open end with foil, and freeze.

When I make chocolate chip cookies, I always make a full batch. Since it's just my husband and me, I bake a dozen and form and freeze the rest on wax paper in the freezer.

I've found a way to re-use the plastic tube canisters that Wyler's lemonade and other brands of sugarless fruit drink mixes come in. They are the perfect size for cookie dough.

I love to make cookies, but with just my husband and 1 toddler at home, we can never eat a whole batch of cookies up before they are going stale. So I make a whole batch of cookie dough, bake just one or two sheets of cookies, then freeze the rest.

Videos

October 1, 2012 Flag

This video shows you a quick way to freeze your cookie dough. View the full recipe here: Freezing Cookie Dough

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 14, 2005 Flag

Tips and recipes for freezing cookies and cookie dough. Post your ideas.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We recently found out how well Brownies Freeze.

We always wasted some & finally decided to stick half of them in a freezer bag.It worked Great!

The second half of the batch actually seemed to last longer than the first half did when we defrosted them.

By Rachel Paxton

If you're looking ahead to the holiday season and wondering how you're going to get all your baking done, consider freezing your cookie dough or fresh baked cookies ahead of time. When the holidays get closer you can get that last bit of shopping done or last present made instead of spending all your time in the kitchen.

FREEZING COOKIE DOUGH

Cookie dough will freeze well for 4 to 6 weeks. Rolls of dough should be sealed tightly in plastic wrap (chill in refrigerator first before freezing). Other kinds of dough should be stored in airtight containers. Drop cookies (unbaked) may be frozen on cookie sheets and transferred to freezer bags. Let stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before baking.

Don't try to freeze soft meringue-type cookie dough. Chocolate chip, brownies, peanut butter, and sugar cookie dough (or anything similar) freezes well. Let the dough defrost in the refrigerator (about 2-3 hours). Make sure to label the container with the date and type of cookie dough.

FREEZING BAKED COOKIES

Almost any baked cookie freezes well. Let cookies completely cool before freezing. Wrap cookies individually in plastic wrap then store them in a ziploc freezer bag or storage tin (coffee cans or holiday tins work great). You can also just layer the cookies between layers of waxed paper in the container, but the individually wrapped ones will store longer.

Freeze frosted cookies uncovered first until they are firm. Then pack them in airtight container lined with plastic wrap or foil. Make sure to label the container with the date and type of cookies. Unfrosted cookies can be frozen up to 6-12 months (frosted, about 3 months). Frozen cookies thaw in about 10 minutes at room temperature (if you can wait that long). If cookies should be crisp when thawed, remove them from the container before thawing.

Gingersnaps

* 1 c. sugar

* 3/4 c. butter

* 2 eggs

* 3 c. flour

* 2 tsp. baking soda

* 1 tsp. ginger

* 1 tsp. cinnamon

* 1/2 tsp. cloves

* 1/2 c. molasses

In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter. Add eggs. Stir in flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Add molasses, stirring well. Refrigerate dough for an hour or two to chill. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in a little sugar and place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes.

Snickerdoodles

* 1 c. butter

* 1 1/2 c. sugar

* 2 eggs

* 2 3/4 c. flour

* 2 tsp. cream of tartar

* 1 tsp. baking soda

* 1/2 tsp. salt

In a large bowl, cream together butter, sugar, and eggs. Stir in flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Refrigerate dough for an hour or two to chill. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.

Peanut Butter Crackles

* 1 3/4 c. flour

* 1/2 c. sugar

* 1/2 c. brown sugar

* 1 egg

* 1 tsp. vanilla

* 1 tsp. baking soda

* 1/2 tsp. salt

* 1/2 c. butter, softened

* 1/2 c. peanut butter

* Chocolate kisses or stars

Mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix together butter, peanut butter, and sugar. Beat in egg and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and press chocolate kisses firmly into cookie.

About The Author:

Copyright 2002. Rachel Paxton is a freelance writer and mom helping other moms to organize their families and their lives. For other organizing hints visit http://www.Organized-Mom.com

To have fresh baked cookies instantly, freeze cookie "balls" on sheets, then bag them and write directions on bag for baking so that family members will also be able to bake "fresh cookies" Yum

By Sonya

When making cookies for the holiday I make double batches of the dough, roll into a log shape, wrap in plastic then in foil, put in freezer. When you have unexpectedly forgot a gift you just needs to slice and bake.

By Beachers from West Covina, CA

Food and Recipes Freezing Baked GoodsJuly 26, 2012
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Man Kneading Pizza Dough
Freezing Pizza Dough
Rollong pin on round of pizza dough.
Biscuit Pizza Dough Recipes
Freezing Bread Dough
Freezing Bread Dough
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 4:05:23 AM on 10.0.1.241 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.