Freezing Tomatoes

I have 30 tomato plants after a 30 year lapse without a garden. Can I freeze my tomatoes in any way? Please give me some helpful hints.

By Becky B.

Best Answer

Tomatoes are easy to freeze. You can simply wash them well, cut out any bad spots and the stem/core, and pop them in a freezer bag. When you are ready to use them, once thawed they will squeeze right out of the skins! You can then use them as you would use canned tomatoes.

That is the way my late Mother did it. As she got older she never planted more than three plants, and when she had more than she could use that is what she did, even if it was only a couple tomatoes. She kept a good sized bag that she would just toss the tomatoes into after she had prepped them.

I have found that tomatoes freeze great if you want to use them for soups, stews, adding to roasts, making sauce, etc. They do not retain texture as far as using on sandwiches and salads. I like to freeze chunks of tomato in small bags and put several smaller bags into a large outer bag in the freezer. When making soup or stew I just grab out a smaller bag and ready to add.

Yes you can. I saw it on TV a few weeks ago. You can freeze them in jars or bags and the show I watched didn't peel them. They cut them in half, stewed them a little while then places them in jars.

Tomatoes on ice.
Freezing Tomatoes
Food and Recipes Freezing VegetablesAugust 3, 2011
Canned Tomatoes on White Background
Canning Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Saving Money on Tomatoes
Tw Red Tomatoes sitting in Ice
Using Frozen Tomatoes
Green Tomatoes
Freezing Green Tomatoes