Front Loading Washer Not Spinning

Troubleshooting a washer that will not go into a spin cycle is not an uncommon event. This is a guide about a front loading washer not spinning.

March 21, 2008 Flag

My Frigidaire front loader washer is not spinning when full. It spins ok if only a small amount of clothes are in it. We just replaced the belt, but it didn't help the problem. Should I just buy a new one or is this fixable?

Lori from Pleasanton, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

We just had a similar problem with our front loader except ours stopped spinning altogether. We couldn't find anyone who wanted to look at it. My husband had already found the belt was not the problem. One repairman suggested he look at the brushes connected to the motor which turned out to be the problem. Apparently they have a little tail which stretches over time (normal wear and tear). Ours had fully stretched and were no longer making the connection required to spin the drum. My husband replaced the brushes and we're up and running (or should I say spinning!) again.

Best Answer

The drum is spun by the belt and motor, with it spinning with a half load I would say that the belt you got was the wrong size (to big) or the spring loaded self adjusting tenisoner isn't working, motors for the most part either work or they don't but it would be worthwhile to spin it by hand and see if it's freely spining, if it isn't it needs to be replaced.

Depends upon what's wrong, how much it would cost to fix, what kind of washer you have, etc. etc. etc.

I'd contact an appliance repairman and ask them.

May 17, 2011 Flag

My Hotpoint front-loader spins only when empty or with the motor removed from the machine. All else appears fine.

By Alex

You may need a new belt. That's been my problem. Good luck! carmen1951

December 22, 2014 Flag

At first all it wouldn't do was fast spin, but it did everything else. Now it has stopped rotating altogether; what could the problem be?

By Sam

You did not provide the washer brand, year model, etc., so difficult to help you. However, you can check the product booklet for possibilities, ask the store where purchased, and also check the manufacturer's website for help-customer service.

February 9, 2013 Flag

My LG WM2277HW front load washing machine would not spin after washing. I dissembled the washing machine and replaced the broken iron "spider" behind the tub. After I re-assembled it, it does washing fine, but would not do normal spin. It seems the machine was trying hard and the tub turned for a few rounds, but could not pick up the speed and stopped, and then tried again, still could not pick up the speed and stopped, then finally showed a sign indicating "abnormal stop". Not sure if I messed up some switches during the dissembling and re-assembling.

By Man A Home

How old is washer? If it is 10 years, tranny might be going; buy a new one. There should be a tech number for your company, technicians can give you a lot of clues to follow up on. They've been very helpful to me, when there was still life. But yours might be transmission.

my front end loader is having difficulty going into high spin, tried but stops

March 18, 2013 Flag

My GE front loader won't spin/drain at the end of the cycle. The washer goes through the whole cycle fine, but won't spin to drain out the water at the end. I changed the catch basin and it is still not working.

By B. J. from MO

Looking for an answer to this question, been on here for two days and the only thing I get is to clean the drain pump. Is there someone out there who really knows the answer to this question?

June 20, 2011 Flag

My front loading Kenmore washer model #417 sounds like it is spinning, but does not even though the belt is fine.

By John F

The drive shaft may be worn. Call the repair man. I have had that happen.

November 8, 2010 Flag

I have a Frigidaire Affinity washer, model number ATF6500FG0. It will not go into the spin cycle. The washer does everything else, but won't go into the spin cycle.

By Cliff from Cochrane AB Canada

Not sure about yours, but my front loader had a built in filter and it got clogged and wouldn't spin, opened the a little door on the front cleaned it out and works like new. I hope this helps, try calling the company and asking them what the problem could be. It could be minor and they might tell you over the phone.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Clothing WashersFebruary 12, 2013
washing machine
Washer Not Spinning Properly
Front Loading Washer
Dyeing Clothing in a Front Loading Washer
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
A repairman looking at a washing machine.
Repairing a Washer That Won't Drain or Spin
🎉
🎄