Frugal Tips for Diabetics

Category Dieting
Fruit and diabetic testing supplies.
Eating healthy does not have to be expensive and can help you manage your health issues. This guide contains frugal tips for diabetics.

We are beating diabetes the frugal way! Last year my husband was diagnosed with diabetes after numerous health problems. I, too, am diabetic. We decided to change our life. Instead of prescription medications, we opted to do it on our own.

Our doctors were skeptical, but decided to let us try. I did purchase several books on diabetes and I realized I actually did not know much about it. I went through our pantry and gave away food that was high glycemic and unhealthy for us. I researched recipes for healthy meals, snacks and desserts. There are numerous free diabetic websites online that helped us. We read nutrition labels in the stores.

We purchased items, such as wheat flour and brown rice, in bulk. We shopped for the best prices. Although I have heard eating healthy is expensive, for us it is actually cheaper! Junk food seemed to have been costing us big time! We stay away from restaurants. If we are going to be our during a meal time, we pack us a lunch. As we started feeling better, we exercised instead of being couch potatoes.

How have we fared a year later? We are down over 60 pounds each. Our food budget had dropped. We feel GOOD again! And our doctors are scratching their heads in amazement.

By kerly87 from Fredericktown, MO

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

I am diabetic. I often have to take my lantus pen with me when I am away from home. But, often people see the pen and get nervous when they think there might be body fluids on it.

For those of you who don't know much about pens, they have a disposable needle for each dose. The liquid is sealed inside and at no time is anyone in danger.

So, I came up with a way to camouflage the pen. I slip it inside a toothpaste holder. You can use a clear one but it defeats the purpose. So, I keep mine in a red one, or one that is a solid color and not see-through.

I can keep 1 needle inside for a dose, then keep the used one inside till I get home to my lancet container.

Other uses for these wonderful things are for change, crochet hooks, knitting needles if they are smaller, lady things and yes, even toothbrushes!

I hope this helps.
PBP

Source: Just my overactive brain.

Link: N/A

Because I'm diabetic, I always drink diet drinks. When I go out to eat my options are diet cola, unsweetened tea or water. I order water with 2 wedges of lemon. When it gets to the table I add a pack of Sweet and Low and voila! Diet lemonade for free!

Source: Being diabetic and limited!

By michele052002 from Bangor, PA