Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens.

kitten with fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have hardwood floors all over the house except the kitchen and bedroom which have tile floors. I read where you mix apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties. How much would I use of each or equal amounts?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Additional flea information will help in a flea battle:

The humble cat (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. You may have noticed that your dog and cat often choose different places to sleep in your house and outside. Your cat may have five or six favorite inside spots (usually in the sun) and outside even more. Many animals choose several places to sleep to avoid fleas. They might sleep in one spot for a few days and then another for a day or two. This sleep pattern breaks the flea life cycle and does reduce the effectiveness of flea attacks as adult fleas only live for a few days. However, some can live up to one hundred days in a good food environment. As you will see, the flea has a complicated life and you and your pet are invited!

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas/

Use just enough Dawn to make good suds. Dawn by itself will do the job. Start right behind the ears so the fleas don't all run up on the head. Be careful not to get water in their ears. Rinse well and you can use a flea comb to get any that are left. Be sure and start a good flea prevention soon, so they don't get started in your house. There are some you can use on kittens, but be careful to get one especially for cats. The dog fleas products can kill cats.

I have a kitten about 4- 6 weeks old. It is a homeless kitten, how can I get rid of fleas on it? Plus her eyes are mattered up really bad, I put warm compresses on it's. eyes and washes off the matter for now . please help with home remediy

First, use Dawn dish soap to bathe the kitty. Wash all the towels or whatever you are using for the bedding.

For the eyes, the warm compresses are a good idea. Keep that up. Also use triple antibiotic ointment (not the cream) and put it on the kitten's eyes after you clean them.

Do you know what to feed it? Use the wet food. It might be tricky getting it to eat cat food at first. Don't use cow milk unless it's the lactose free (Lactaid) milk and then you can use some.

Read More Answers...

August 21, 2013 Flag

I am dirt poor except for my 3 kitties, Nala, Rajah, and Berlioz. We just got Berlioz 3 days ago and now all 3 of my babies have fleas. All 3 are indoor cats. Nala is the oldest, she's over a year old, but the other 2 are about 4 months. Please help. I don't know what to do for them.

By Lyndsay

Apparently, if you bathe them really well with Dawn dish soap, it will kill the fleas. Also if you sprinkle naptha flakes, which are crushed moth balls, on all your floors, let it sit a couple of hours and then vacuum really well, this will get rid of the fleas.

You have to remove the kitties from the house while the naptha flakes are around as they are really BAD for them! You'll probably have to do both these things every few days until the fleas are gone, and don't get the soap inside their ears or in their eyes. But make sure you get the soap on the inside edges of the ears. Start at the head and work towards the tail. Google "fleas" and "home remedies".

Good luck.

Hi - there are lots of answers on Thrifty about flea treatment for cats. Just look it up in the search window - there are plenty of suggestions.

Sprinkle boric acid powder around carpets etc. This works well for roaches also.

It is less toxic to sprinkle salt around the carpet. I think some people get boric acid mixed up with borax. I would not use boric acid on the carpet nor even borax but I do sprinkle salt around when I see fleas.

As far as flea control on the animal, I use Lufnuron. It interrupts the coating of the fleas outer shell. The adults will live but they will be unable to reproduce. The main problem with fleas is that they reproduce so fast.

Here is what I use and I have been very happy with it. I have a number of cats also. According to dose you have to open the capsules up and mix it with a small amount of soft food. I mix mine with a small amount of water and give it with a syringe minus the needle, orally. It is chicken flavored or some other flavor the cats actually like.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY6X7IM ... _pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

There used to be a place you could buy a large topical flea spot treatment and a glass vial came with it and you could buy one and use it among your cats.

I will send this customer review that describes what to do.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3T3IK ... /ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3T3IKPSH16APC

As far as a Dawn bath goes:

Dawn will kill the fleas, but it won't keep them from coming back on the cat. And when you use the dawn you have to let it sit on their coat for about 3 minutes or so.

If you can bathe your cats that is great. If not I could go over them with a flea comb or small tooth comb to get the fleas out.

Put the fleas in a container of water so they will drown. Vacuum everyday. Cover the hose of your vacuum so they don't crawl out. If you have a bag with your vacuum then put a flea collar in it.

Most importantly improve their diets. When you go to feed them, feed them a food that is not cheap. You can find them at farm supply stores. Use food that does not have grain or by products.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/

I like to add a little squirt of olive oil to my cats wet food at night and I add a few egg yolks a couple of squirts of baby vitamins, and homemade chicken broth. I mix it all up and it makes the food go further.

The food that is a little more expensive is worth it, as far as your cats go, because the cheap food pretty much causes illness, and yeast problems, and attracts fleas like crazy. That is because of all the grain, wheat, corn and soy. The pet food industry uses corn to fill their product, and also wheat. Both of them are grains. Not good for your cats at all.

There are many foods on the market that don't have wheat, corn or soy. Any of these would be great.

I like to go the Tractor Supply myself to get the best selection of foods.

Here is one last overall link and a recipe for flea spray you can make at home:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally

Blessings to you and your cats!

PS Make sure you don't get Advantage which is good for cats and dogs mixed up with Advantix which is deadly for cats...review the above link for further details.

Once you improve their diets, then it will take a while but their overall health will be better.

You will need to set up a paypal account. Two people from the same house can sign up for this place.

November 16, 2006 Flag

Having a new litter of kittens in the house is wonderful, until you discover fleas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do for fleas on newborn kittens. I discovered a great tip. Baby wipes with aloe! The kittens love being rubbed down with them. Don't worry about rubbing vigorously. They love it, just like momma giving them a bath. And, if I keep a close eye on them and do this daily, I won't see another flea.

By Kimber from WV

Editor's Note: Be sure to wait at least a week or two before handling newborn kittens and then only for a short amount of time. The mother can reject them if they don't smell right.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 20, 2010 Flag

My cat had kittens 4 days ago. She had fleas before she was pregnant, while she was pregnant, and now after she had her 3 kittens. Her kittens now have fleas and I don't know how to take care of it.

Before my cat even had kittens we washed her and our dog, we bombed the house, we shampooed the carpet, we put on flea spray, but those fleas just kept coming back! Now that she had kittens we don't know what to do since they are so young. We don't know want them to get sick and die, so what can we do to get the fleas taken care of ASAP? Please respond ASAP. These kittens need help!
    -Sincerely.

By Ally from Washington, DC

Dry borax throughout the house. In their bed too. A gentle bath and flea comb. No poisons.

Once the fleas are gone and the cat and kittens are healthy, try feeding them brewer's yeast tablets. I learned this years ago when we went through a bout with fleas here. Some cats willingly eat the brewer's yeast tablets; one of mine liked it so much she used to eat it first, before eating the food in her dish (we laid the tablet on top of the food). It makes their blood taste horrible to the fleas and the fleas stay away. If there's any chance the cats can pick up fleas again, this might prevent it from happening. We never had flea problems again, because we stopped watching other peoples' pets for them in our home (a dog we watched left his fleas behind). My cats are strictly indoor cats so there's no chance mine will pick up fleas, but if you let your cats out, and they'll eat brewer's yeast, it may be enough to ward off the fleas. It's a natural product, and also has health benefits, as I recall. Brewer's yeast comes in powder form too that can be mixed into food, but if they don't like the taste of the yeast, the cats won't touch their food. As I said, some kitties like it and others don't - but it's worth a try.

My cat had 4 kittens 3 weeks ago, and I noticed that they had fleas on them. I didn't know the mother had fleas as I've been regularly using frontline on her, and she is also totally black, so you can't see fleas on her. I want to bathe them but some people say you can and some say you cant!

Also, if you give the mother a flea tablet. Will it filter through to the kittens and kill their fleas?

As far as the flea problem, vaseline dabbed on the flea slows them down and makes it easier to comb them out. Good Luck, we just had 6 kittens and are having the same problem.

Read More Answers...

October 2, 2014 Flag

I need home remedies to deflea infested kittens.

By danitaoster

Give your kitten a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid (or other grease cutting dish soap). This will kill the fleas currently on your kitten, but won't do anything to keep fleas in the environment from jumping back on your kitten though. You also need to be careful to keep the soap away from your kitten's face.

You can try dusting your kitten with Diatomatious Earth (food quality, not for pools) like you would flea powder. It will kill the fleas and is harmless to the cat-just make sure NOT to get it in the eyes or inhale it. This stuff cuts the outer shell of the flea, and dries it out. Good for sprinkling on carpets and in corners, and easy to vacuum out.

June 24, 2008 Flag

I have a indoor cat that hides a lot because of my two dogs. So today I finally got him to come out when the dogs were outside and noticed he was scratching bad and had scabs along his neck, back and tail. while grooming my cat as always I seen he had fleas. he does not have claws to itch himself and I feel so bad for him. What can I do to help his skin and get rid of the fleas on the animals and in the house? Please help!

Thanks,
    Sue

When got one of my cats from the shelter, she had fleas. Two doses of either Frontline or Advantage (it was 10 years ago) did the trick.

Steam cleaning carpets gets rid of many fleas and eggs. Fleas spend much of their time OFF of the animal. Dump the dirty steamer water down the toilet to make sure the fleas don't survive!

Mule Team Borax powder, Diatomaceous Earth, or Boric Acid Powder will kill fleas in carpets and upholstery. Boric acid powder is safe for killing fleas and ear mites on the cat.

Mix Dawn dish washing soap and water in a shallow dish, then place the dish on the floor to catch and drown fleas. Use a flea comb on your cat to catch many fleas. Between combings, dunk the comb in a dish of Dawn mixed with water so the fleas cannot escape.

A mixture I've used for years to kill adult fleas is 5 ounces of liquid Seven and 5 ounces of liquid Malathion to a gallon of water. I've used that mixture even with tiny kittens. Flea collars usually don't work at all, they only drive fleas from the head and neck to other parts of the animal, and some cats are allergic to the collars.

Many products contain Methoprene to kill eggs and larvae but fleas became somewhat immune to methoprene's effects several years ago.

A really good brand of flea spray for the house, that contains NYLAR, which IS EFFECTIVE FOR KILLING EGGS AND LARVAE, is Enforcer Flea Spray for Homes. I found it in a local hardware store. Spray EVERYTHING, even between your mattresses and box springs, under couch cushions, cracks and crevices, in stacks of books or magazines, under the refrigerator etc. Fleas hide everywhere!

Frontline IS good but has the disadvantage of being too expensive for most people to use regularly with a multiple cat household.

Can I do something for my cats earmites without spending a fortune at the vet? OTC meds or some other suggestions thanks and joey (my cat) aslo says thanks :)

If garlic cloves are good for dogs then how about cats? as for the apple cider vinegar in the cats water, my cat may have a problem with that. I did use some garlic juice on a cotton ball and dabbed the cat's paws, behind her neck and on her tail the other day. she hated that smell. but either it dried or she licked it off. I use the cat flea shampoo on her plus the flea collar and sometimes the flea drops.she is an inside cat. but still gets fleas, have outside dogs and the fleas come in on us from outside. Will try to add some apple cider vinegar to her water and hope for the best. will try the garlic on cotton ball dab again and have some on hand in a bag. I hate chemicals.

Martha42

Read More Answers...

July 12, 2013 Flag

I love animals. I have a little kitten that hangs around my house. She's my neighbors kitten. My neighbor abandoned her. I can't let her in because I am allergic and have a dog.

The kitten almost died of fleas, but I got her medicine. She was doing well, but she has fleas again. It breaks my heart to watch her suffer. I visit her everyday and sometimes lay in my bed crying.

She was rid of the fleas and I was so thankful. Should I take her to a shelter? or would they just put her down? I can't watch her suffer any more.

By Amanda

Are you a child or adult? If you can touch the cat, use Dawn dish soap and bathe the kitty, leave on for 5 minutes, then rinse well. Try to dry well with towels, and only do this when it is a warm day. I wish I could help you, fleas can kill a young kitty if they are not gotten rid of. If you are a child, please ask someone to help you with this. Any adult should want to help you. Wait about 2 days then use the flea medicine you used before. Hopefully, this will help this kitty.

Check into some of new flea and tick medicines available on the internet. The prices have come down recently. If you do take her to a shelter, be sure to find a "no kill" shelter. Or you can check with friends to see if they can take her in. I had a homeless kitten I could not keep and I brought her back to good health and sent pictures out to my email list with her story attached. I had people fighting over her and she went to a wonderful home. Be careful and dont let her go to someone you do not know. Bless you for having a heart for this homeless girl.

April 19, 2010 Flag

How old does a kitten have to be before wearing a flea collar?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 19, 2010 Flag

My kittens are 2 days old and are infested with fleas. What can I do to get rid of the fleas?

Pets FleasMay 30, 2013
    On the beach scratching fleas.
    Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
    Dog Scratching at Fleas
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
    Man scratching his head.
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
    Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 12:18:05 AM on 10.0.0.16 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.