Browsing: Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens.

kitten with fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have hardwood floors all over the house except the kitchen and bedroom which have tile floors. I read where you mix apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties. How much would I use of each or equal amounts?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Use just enough Dawn to make good suds. Dawn by itself will do the job. Start right behind the ears so the fleas don't all run up on the head. Be careful not to get water in their ears. Rinse well and you can use a flea comb to get any that are left. Be sure and start a good flea prevention soon, so they don't get started in your house. There are some you can use on kittens, but be careful to get one especially for cats. The dog fleas products can kill cats.

I have a kitten about 4- 6 weeks old. It is a homeless kitten, how can I get rid of fleas on it? Plus her eyes are mattered up really bad, I put warm compresses on it's. eyes and washes off the matter for now . please help with home remediy

First, use Dawn dish soap to bathe the kitty. Wash all the towels or whatever you are using for the bedding.

For the eyes, the warm compresses are a good idea. Keep that up. Also use triple antibiotic ointment (not the cream) and put it on the kitten's eyes after you clean them.

Do you know what to feed it? Use the wet food. It might be tricky getting it to eat cat food at first. Don't use cow milk unless it's the lactose free (Lactaid) milk and then you can use some.

Read More Answers...

August 21, 2013 Flag

I am dirt poor except for my 3 kitties, Nala, Rajah, and Berlioz. We just got Berlioz 3 days ago and now all 3 of my babies have fleas. All 3 are indoor cats. Nala is the oldest, she's over a year old, but the other 2 are about 4 months. Please help. I don't know what to do for them.

By Lyndsay

Hi - there are lots of answers on Thrifty about flea treatment for cats. Just look it up in the search window - there are plenty of suggestions.

Sprinkle boric acid powder around carpets etc. This works well for roaches also.

It is less toxic to sprinkle salt around the carpet. I think some people get boric acid mixed up with borax. I would not use boric acid on the carpet nor even borax but I do sprinkle salt around when I see fleas.

As far as flea control on the animal, I use Lufnuron. It interrupts the coating of the fleas outer shell. The adults will live but they will be unable to reproduce. The main problem with fleas is that they reproduce so fast.

Here is what I use and I have been very happy with it. I have a number of cats also. According to dose you have to open the capsules up and mix it with a small amount of soft food. I mix mine with a small amount of water and give it with a syringe minus the needle, orally. It is chicken flavored or some other flavor the cats actually like.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY6X7IM ... _pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

There used to be a place you could buy a large topical flea spot treatment and a glass vial came with it and you could buy one and use it among your cats.

I will send this customer review that describes what to do.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3T3IK ... /ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3T3IKPSH16APC

As far as a Dawn bath goes:

Dawn will kill the fleas, but it won't keep them from coming back on the cat. And when you use the dawn you have to let it sit on their coat for about 3 minutes or so.

If you can bathe your cats that is great. If not I could go over them with a flea comb or small tooth comb to get the fleas out.

Put the fleas in a container of water so they will drown. Vacuum everyday. Cover the hose of your vacuum so they don't crawl out. If you have a bag with your vacuum then put a flea collar in it.

Most importantly improve their diets. When you go to feed them, feed them a food that is not cheap. You can find them at farm supply stores. Use food that does not have grain or by products.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/

I like to add a little squirt of olive oil to my cats wet food at night and I add a few egg yolks a couple of squirts of baby vitamins, and homemade chicken broth. I mix it all up and it makes the food go further.

The food that is a little more expensive is worth it, as far as your cats go, because the cheap food pretty much causes illness, and yeast problems, and attracts fleas like crazy. That is because of all the grain, wheat, corn and soy. The pet food industry uses corn to fill their product, and also wheat. Both of them are grains. Not good for your cats at all.

There are many foods on the market that don't have wheat, corn or soy. Any of these would be great.

I like to go the Tractor Supply myself to get the best selection of foods.

Here is one last overall link and a recipe for flea spray you can make at home:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally

Blessings to you and your cats!

PS Make sure you don't get Advantage which is good for cats and dogs mixed up with Advantix which is deadly for cats...review the above link for further details.

Once you improve their diets, then it will take a while but their overall health will be better.

You will need to set up a paypal account. Two people from the same house can sign up for this place.

Hello, diatomaceous earth is a powder that u can spread around your house and also rub on your cats. It will kill anything with an exoskeleton, like fleas and ticks, spiders, ants etc.. make sure u read the label, it should say food grade or food safe. It is not harmful to mammals, ive even read that u can add small amounts to their food to take care of parasites. Google search diatomaceous earth to see all the uses, its great stuff!

Read More Answers...

November 16, 2006 Flag

Having a new litter of kittens in the house is wonderful, until you discover fleas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do for fleas on newborn kittens. I discovered a great tip. Baby wipes with aloe! The kittens love being rubbed down with them. Don't worry about rubbing vigorously. They love it, just like momma giving them a bath. And, if I keep a close eye on them and do this daily, I won't see another flea.

By Kimber from WV

Editor's Note: Be sure to wait at least a week or two before handling newborn kittens and then only for a short amount of time. The mother can reject them if they don't smell right.

October 20, 2010 Flag

My cat had kittens 4 days ago. She had fleas before she was pregnant, while she was pregnant, and now after she had her 3 kittens. Her kittens now have fleas and I don't know how to take care of it.

Before my cat even had kittens we washed her and our dog, we bombed the house, we shampooed the carpet, we put on flea spray, but those fleas just kept coming back! Now that she had kittens we don't know what to do since they are so young. We don't know want them to get sick and die, so what can we do to get the fleas taken care of ASAP? Please respond ASAP. These kittens need help!
-Sincerely.

By Ally from Washington, DC

Dry borax throughout the house. In their bed too. A gentle bath and flea comb. No poisons.

Once the fleas are gone and the cat and kittens are healthy, try feeding them brewer's yeast tablets. I learned this years ago when we went through a bout with fleas here. Some cats willingly eat the brewer's yeast tablets; one of mine liked it so much she used to eat it first, before eating the food in her dish (we laid the tablet on top of the food). It makes their blood taste horrible to the fleas and the fleas stay away. If there's any chance the cats can pick up fleas again, this might prevent it from happening. We never had flea problems again, because we stopped watching other peoples' pets for them in our home (a dog we watched left his fleas behind). My cats are strictly indoor cats so there's no chance mine will pick up fleas, but if you let your cats out, and they'll eat brewer's yeast, it may be enough to ward off the fleas. It's a natural product, and also has health benefits, as I recall. Brewer's yeast comes in powder form too that can be mixed into food, but if they don't like the taste of the yeast, the cats won't touch their food. As I said, some kitties like it and others don't - but it's worth a try.

My cat had 4 kittens 3 weeks ago, and I noticed that they had fleas on them. I didn't know the mother had fleas as I've been regularly using frontline on her, and she is also totally black, so you can't see fleas on her. I want to bathe them but some people say you can and some say you cant!

Also, if you give the mother a flea tablet. Will it filter through to the kittens and kill their fleas?

As far as the flea problem, vaseline dabbed on the flea slows them down and makes it easier to comb them out. Good Luck, we just had 6 kittens and are having the same problem.

Read More Answers...

October 2, 2014 Flag

I need home remedies to deflea infested kittens.

By danitaoster

Give your kitten a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid (or other grease cutting dish soap). This will kill the fleas currently on your kitten, but won't do anything to keep fleas in the environment from jumping back on your kitten though. You also need to be careful to keep the soap away from your kitten's face.

You can try dusting your kitten with Diatomatious Earth (food quality, not for pools) like you would flea powder. It will kill the fleas and is harmless to the cat-just make sure NOT to get it in the eyes or inhale it. This stuff cuts the outer shell of the flea, and dries it out. Good for sprinkling on carpets and in corners, and easy to vacuum out.

June 24, 2008 Flag

I have a indoor cat that hides a lot because of my two dogs. So today I finally got him to come out when the dogs were outside and noticed he was scratching bad and had scabs along his neck, back and tail.

Load More
Pets FleasMay 30, 2013
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Dog Scratching at Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
Man scratching his head.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 29, 2016 at 8:15:11 AM on 10.0.0.66 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.