Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens.

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have hardwood floors all over the house except the kitchen and bedroom which have tile floors. I read where you mix apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties. How much would I use of each or equal amounts?

First, use Dawn dish soap to bathe the kitty. Wash all the towels or whatever you are using for the bedding.

For the eyes, the warm compresses are a good idea. Keep that up. Also use triple antibiotic ointment (not the cream) and put it on the kitten's eyes after you clean them.

Do you know what to feed it? Use the wet food. It might be tricky getting it to eat cat food at first. Don't use cow milk unless it's the lactose free (Lactaid) milk and then you can use some.

November 16, 2006 Flag

Having a new litter of kittens in the house is wonderful, until you discover fleas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do for fleas on newborn kittens. I discovered a great tip. Baby wipes with aloe! The kittens love being rubbed down with them. Don't worry about rubbing vigorously. They love it, just like momma giving them a bath. And, if I keep a close eye on them and do this daily, I won't see another flea.

By Kimber from WV

Editor's Note: Be sure to wait at least a week or two before handling newborn kittens and then only for a short amount of time. The mother can reject them if they don't smell right.

Dogs/Cats are not born with Fleas attached to them. Please check the environment they are bred in including their parents before they arrive. And animals have been known to physically kill their off-springs if they detect any foreign smell on them. I don't intend to be an alarmist but these are the correct facts. Check with your Veterinarian.

Do you think the baby wipes would work for a baby squirrel? I found a baby squirrell and it has fleas very badly.

August 21, 2013 Flag

I am dirt poor except for my 3 kitties, Nala, Rajah, and Berlioz. We just got Berlioz 3 days ago and now all 3 of my babies have fleas. All 3 are indoor cats. Nala is the oldest, she's over a year old, but the other 2 are about 4 months. Please help. I don't know what to do for them.

By Lyndsay

Sprinkle boric acid powder around carpets etc. This works well for roaches also.

It is less toxic to sprinkle salt around the carpet. I think some people get boric acid mixed up with borax. I would not use boric acid on the carpet nor even borax but I do sprinkle salt around when I see fleas.

As far as flea control on the animal, I use Lufnuron. It interrupts the coating of the fleas outer shell. The adults will live but they will be unable to reproduce. The main problem with fleas is that they reproduce so fast.

Here is what I use and I have been very happy with it. I have a number of cats also. According to dose you have to open the capsules up and mix it with a small amount of soft food. I mix mine with a small amount of water and give it with a syringe minus the needle, orally. It is chicken flavored or some other flavor the cats actually like.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY6X7IM ... _pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

There used to be a place you could buy a large topical flea spot treatment and a glass vial came with it and you could buy one and use it among your cats.

I will send this customer review that describes what to do.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3T3IK ... /ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3T3IKPSH16APC

As far as a Dawn bath goes:

Dawn will kill the fleas, but it won't keep them from coming back on the cat. And when you use the dawn you have to let it sit on their coat for about 3 minutes or so.

If you can bathe your cats that is great. If not I could go over them with a flea comb or small tooth comb to get the fleas out.

Put the fleas in a container of water so they will drown. Vacuum everyday. Cover the hose of your vacuum so they don't crawl out. If you have a bag with your vacuum then put a flea collar in it.

Most importantly improve their diets. When you go to feed them, feed them a food that is not cheap. You can find them at farm supply stores. Use food that does not have grain or by products.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/

I like to add a little squirt of olive oil to my cats wet food at night and I add a few egg yolks a couple of squirts of baby vitamins, and homemade chicken broth. I mix it all up and it makes the food go further.

The food that is a little more expensive is worth it, as far as your cats go, because the cheap food pretty much causes illness, and yeast problems, and attracts fleas like crazy. That is because of all the grain, wheat, corn and soy. The pet food industry uses corn to fill their product, and also wheat. Both of them are grains. Not good for your cats at all.

There are many foods on the market that don't have wheat, corn or soy. Any of these would be great.

I like to go the Tractor Supply myself to get the best selection of foods.

Here is one last overall link and a recipe for flea spray you can make at home:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally

Blessings to you and your cats!

PS Make sure you don't get Advantage which is good for cats and dogs mixed up with Advantix which is deadly for cats...review the above link for further details.

Once you improve their diets, then it will take a while but their overall health will be better.

You will need to set up a paypal account. Two people from the same house can sign up for this place.

June 24, 2008 Flag

I have a indoor cat that hides a lot because of my two dogs. So today I finally got him to come out when the dogs were outside and noticed he was scratching bad and had scabs along his neck, back and tail. while grooming my cat as always I seen he had fleas. he does not have claws to itch himself and I feel so bad for him. What can I do to help his skin and get rid of the fleas on the animals and in the house? Please help!

Thanks,
Sue

Steam cleaning carpets gets rid of many fleas and eggs. Fleas spend much of their time OFF of the animal. Dump the dirty steamer water down the toilet to make sure the fleas don't survive!

Mule Team Borax powder, Diatomaceous Earth, or Boric Acid Powder will kill fleas in carpets and upholstery. Boric acid powder is safe for killing fleas and ear mites on the cat.

Mix Dawn dish washing soap and water in a shallow dish, then place the dish on the floor to catch and drown fleas. Use a flea comb on your cat to catch many fleas. Between combings, dunk the comb in a dish of Dawn mixed with water so the fleas cannot escape.

A mixture I've used for years to kill adult fleas is 5 ounces of liquid Seven and 5 ounces of liquid Malathion to a gallon of water. I've used that mixture even with tiny kittens. Flea collars usually don't work at all, they only drive fleas from the head and neck to other parts of the animal, and some cats are allergic to the collars.

Many products contain Methoprene to kill eggs and larvae but fleas became somewhat immune to methoprene's effects several years ago.

A really good brand of flea spray for the house, that contains NYLAR, which IS EFFECTIVE FOR KILLING EGGS AND LARVAE, is Enforcer Flea Spray for Homes. I found it in a local hardware store. Spray EVERYTHING, even between your mattresses and box springs, under couch cushions, cracks and crevices, in stacks of books or magazines, under the refrigerator etc. Fleas hide everywhere!

Frontline IS good but has the disadvantage of being too expensive for most people to use regularly with a multiple cat household.

Can I do something for my cats earmites without spending a fortune at the vet? OTC meds or some other suggestions thanks and joey (my cat) aslo says thanks :)

October 2, 2014 Flag

I need home remedies to deflea infested kittens.

By danitaoster

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Give your kitten a bath in Dawn dishwashing liquid (or other grease cutting dish soap). This will kill the fleas currently on your kitten, but won't do anything to keep fleas in the environment from jumping back on your kitten though. You also need to be careful to keep the soap away from your kitten's face.

You can try dusting your kitten with Diatomatious Earth (food quality, not for pools) like you would flea powder. It will kill the fleas and is harmless to the cat-just make sure NOT to get it in the eyes or inhale it. This stuff cuts the outer shell of the flea, and dries it out. Good for sprinkling on carpets and in corners, and easy to vacuum out.

July 12, 2013 Flag

I love animals. I have a little kitten that hangs around my house. She's my neighbors kitten. My neighbor abandoned her. I can't let her in because I am allergic and have a dog.

The kitten almost died of fleas, but I got her medicine. She was doing well, but she has fleas again. It breaks my heart to watch her suffer. I visit her everyday and sometimes lay in my bed crying.

She was rid of the fleas and I was so thankful. Should I take her to a shelter? or would they just put her down? I can't watch her suffer any more.

By Amanda

Are you a child or adult? If you can touch the cat, use Dawn dish soap and bathe the kitty, leave on for 5 minutes, then rinse well. Try to dry well with towels, and only do this when it is a warm day. I wish I could help you, fleas can kill a young kitty if they are not gotten rid of. If you are a child, please ask someone to help you with this. Any adult should want to help you. Wait about 2 days then use the flea medicine you used before. Hopefully, this will help this kitty.

Check into some of new flea and tick medicines available on the internet. The prices have come down recently. If you do take her to a shelter, be sure to find a "no kill" shelter. Or you can check with friends to see if they can take her in. I had a homeless kitten I could not keep and I brought her back to good health and sent pictures out to my email list with her story attached. I had people fighting over her and she went to a wonderful home. Be careful and dont let her go to someone you do not know. Bless you for having a heart for this homeless girl.

July 19, 2010 Flag

My kittens are 2 days old and are infested with fleas. What can I do to get rid of the fleas?

By Natalie

The truth is you may bathe the kittens in dawn dish detergent (the original blue one only). This will kill what is already on them. Give them a good brushing to free them from the dead ones, since they will probably end up eating them and that isn't good for them.

The next step is to rid the house of what might be eggs or larvae. You can spray distilled white vinegar all over the house. It is not fragrant but it works great. The smell of the vinegar will disappear in a day or so. I have older cats and I saturate a wash cloth with vinegar as well and wipe them down ears to toes, instantly the fleas die. I brush them a bit and they're as good as new! They also love the attention although chasing them for the vinegar rub (I have 5) is quite funny lol.

You must get rid of their favorite bedding or wash those items in the hottest water possible, but it's worth replacing for the sake of your pets. Be blessed and thank you thrifty fun friends for all the great advice in the past.

Also, I put two or three drops of apple cider vinegar in their wet food every day. This is great for maintaining flea free cats. Good luck with the kittens, they're wonderful and such a joy to have.

For the gal on disability who adopts cats, God bless you. People can judge but you are giving a loving home to the homeless. Keep finding tips here on thriftyfun.com and you will be able to care for those cats with minimal money to be spent. Vet's tend to overcharge anyway. Be blessed!

Be sure to change their bedding daily to reduce the flea eggs from hatching and getting on thd kittens. Try not to handle them until they at least 2 wks old. I am also going through the same thing. Mine are 3 wks old. I kept the fleas off until now changing their bedding. Now that they older im going to try dawn with vinagar. Ive noticed dawn dont kill all the fleas. So im using vinagar as a boost

April 19, 2010 Flag

How old does a kitten have to be before wearing a flea collar?

June 9, 2009 Flag

How can I get fleas off of a 4 week old kitten? I have already tried Dawn.

July 19, 2010 Flag

We have 3 adorable 4 month old kittens that we have raised since birth, I have been finding a lot of fleas on them. Does anyone have a cheap and working remedy? Thank you.

Load More
Pets FleasMay 30, 2013
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Dog Scratching at Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎄