Browsing: Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of Fleas on Kittens

While topical flea treatments are readily available for older cats, young kittens will require alternative methods to rid them of these biting pests. This is a guide about getting rid of fleas on kittens.

kitten with fleas
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2015 Flag

I have hardwood floors all over the house except the kitchen and bedroom which have tile floors. I read where you mix apple cider vinegar, Dawn, and water, and bathe both kitties. How much would I use of each or equal amounts?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Additional flea information will help in a flea battle:

The humble cat (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. You may have noticed that your dog and cat often choose different places to sleep in your house and outside. Your cat may have five or six favorite inside spots (usually in the sun) and outside even more. Many animals choose several places to sleep to avoid fleas. They might sleep in one spot for a few days and then another for a day or two. This sleep pattern breaks the flea life cycle and does reduce the effectiveness of flea attacks as adult fleas only live for a few days. However, some can live up to one hundred days in a good food environment. As you will see, the flea has a complicated life and you and your pet are invited!

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowledge and experience.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house hatched from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are tiny and opaque white or almost colorless. The fleas you may see on your cat or dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatched into fleas and jumped back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea feces.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off into your house and outside so, either way, your dog or cat will then again attract the immature and adult fleas both inside and outside which are the children from flea parents that may still be living on your cat or dog.

Any dish detergent bath may wash away or possibly kill some fleas on your pet, however, not all fleas are killed. In a bath many migrate up to the head and ear area and then, once the bath is over, travel back to their favorite spots, usually on the back. If you use dish detergent, you can seriously dry the animals skin and may cause skin rashes, an allergic reaction, etc., and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that exist all the time in your house and outside hatch and then jump back onto your dog or cat (and you!). So, you and your pets are locked into the everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

A search online for how to kill fleas brings up many ideas for bathing, applying natural and awful sprays, etc., but these only address the fleas on your pet. Rarely do they address the bigger problem as a whole. You can check this site for answers that address your pet, your home and the outside. As you will see, flea prevention is a much larger problem than just giving your dog a bath.

http://www.thebugsquad.com/fleas/how-to-get-rid-of-fleas/

Use just enough Dawn to make good suds. Dawn by itself will do the job. Start right behind the ears so the fleas don't all run up on the head. Be careful not to get water in their ears. Rinse well and you can use a flea comb to get any that are left. Be sure and start a good flea prevention soon, so they don't get started in your house. There are some you can use on kittens, but be careful to get one especially for cats. The dog fleas products can kill cats.

I have a kitten about 4- 6 weeks old. It is a homeless kitten, how can I get rid of fleas on it? Plus her eyes are mattered up really bad, I put warm compresses on it's. eyes and washes off the matter for now . please help with home remediy

First, use Dawn dish soap to bathe the kitty. Wash all the towels or whatever you are using for the bedding.

For the eyes, the warm compresses are a good idea. Keep that up. Also use triple antibiotic ointment (not the cream) and put it on the kitten's eyes after you clean them.

Do you know what to feed it? Use the wet food. It might be tricky getting it to eat cat food at first. Don't use cow milk unless it's the lactose free (Lactaid) milk and then you can use some.

November 16, 2006 Flag

Having a new litter of kittens in the house is wonderful, until you discover fleas. Unfortunately, there is not a lot you can do for fleas on newborn kittens. I discovered a great tip. Baby wipes with aloe! The kittens love being rubbed down with them. Don't worry about rubbing vigorously. They love it, just like momma giving them a bath. And, if I keep a close eye on them and do this daily, I won't see another flea.

By Kimber from WV

Editor's Note: Be sure to wait at least a week or two before handling newborn kittens and then only for a short amount of time. The mother can reject them if they don't smell right.

August 21, 2013 Flag

I am dirt poor except for my 3 kitties, Nala, Rajah, and Berlioz. We just got Berlioz 3 days ago and now all 3 of my babies have fleas. All 3 are indoor cats. Nala is the oldest, she's over a year old, but the other 2 are about 4 months. Please help. I don't know what to do for them.

By Lyndsay

Apparently, if you bathe them really well with Dawn dish soap, it will kill the fleas. Also if you sprinkle naptha flakes, which are crushed moth balls, on all your floors, let it sit a couple of hours and then vacuum really well, this will get rid of the fleas.

You have to remove the kitties from the house while the naptha flakes are around as they are really BAD for them! You'll probably have to do both these things every few days until the fleas are gone, and don't get the soap inside their ears or in their eyes. But make sure you get the soap on the inside edges of the ears. Start at the head and work towards the tail. Google "fleas" and "home remedies".

Good luck.

Hi - there are lots of answers on Thrifty about flea treatment for cats. Just look it up in the search window - there are plenty of suggestions.

Sprinkle boric acid powder around carpets etc. This works well for roaches also.

It is less toxic to sprinkle salt around the carpet. I think some people get boric acid mixed up with borax. I would not use boric acid on the carpet nor even borax but I do sprinkle salt around when I see fleas.

As far as flea control on the animal, I use Lufnuron. It interrupts the coating of the fleas outer shell. The adults will live but they will be unable to reproduce. The main problem with fleas is that they reproduce so fast.

Here is what I use and I have been very happy with it. I have a number of cats also. According to dose you have to open the capsules up and mix it with a small amount of soft food. I mix mine with a small amount of water and give it with a syringe minus the needle, orally. It is chicken flavored or some other flavor the cats actually like.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AY6X7IM ... _pe_175190_21431760_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1

There used to be a place you could buy a large topical flea spot treatment and a glass vial came with it and you could buy one and use it among your cats.

I will send this customer review that describes what to do.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3T3IK ... /ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt#R3T3IKPSH16APC

As far as a Dawn bath goes:

Dawn will kill the fleas, but it won't keep them from coming back on the cat. And when you use the dawn you have to let it sit on their coat for about 3 minutes or so.

If you can bathe your cats that is great. If not I could go over them with a flea comb or small tooth comb to get the fleas out.

Put the fleas in a container of water so they will drown. Vacuum everyday. Cover the hose of your vacuum so they don't crawl out. If you have a bag with your vacuum then put a flea collar in it.

Most importantly improve their diets. When you go to feed them, feed them a food that is not cheap. You can find them at farm supply stores. Use food that does not have grain or by products.

http://www.diamondpet.com/products/

I like to add a little squirt of olive oil to my cats wet food at night and I add a few egg yolks a couple of squirts of baby vitamins, and homemade chicken broth. I mix it all up and it makes the food go further.

The food that is a little more expensive is worth it, as far as your cats go, because the cheap food pretty much causes illness, and yeast problems, and attracts fleas like crazy. That is because of all the grain, wheat, corn and soy. The pet food industry uses corn to fill their product, and also wheat. Both of them are grains. Not good for your cats at all.

There are many foods on the market that don't have wheat, corn or soy. Any of these would be great.

I like to go the Tractor Supply myself to get the best selection of foods.

Here is one last overall link and a recipe for flea spray you can make at home:

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Fleas-Naturally

Blessings to you and your cats!

PS Make sure you don't get Advantage which is good for cats and dogs mixed up with Advantix which is deadly for cats...review the above link for further details.

Once you improve their diets, then it will take a while but their overall health will be better.

You will need to set up a paypal account. Two people from the same house can sign up for this place.

Hello, diatomaceous earth is a powder that u can spread around your house and also rub on your cats. It will kill anything with an exoskeleton, like fleas and ticks, spiders, ants etc.. make sure u read the label, it should say food grade or food safe. It is not harmful to mammals, ive even read that u can add small amounts to their food to take care of parasites. Google search diatomaceous earth to see all the uses, its great stuff!

October 20, 2010 Flag

My cat had kittens 4 days ago. She had fleas before she was pregnant, while she was pregnant, and now after she had her 3 kittens. Her kittens now have fleas and I don't know how to take care of it.

Before my cat even had kittens we washed her and our dog, we bombed the house, we shampooed the carpet, we put on flea spray, but those fleas just kept coming back! Now that she had kittens we don't know what to do since they are so young. We don't know want them to get sick and die, so what can we do to get the fleas taken care of ASAP? Please respond ASAP. These kittens need help!
-Sincerely.

By Ally from Washington, DC

I would ask the vet about a product to use on the nursing mama cat, and then if it were me, I would flea comb the kittens, to get them off manually and drop the fleas into a cup of soapy water. Also you can use a lice comb for fleas, and then it can have double use later.

This article has a skin so soft recipe, but I have not tried it as of yet. If there are just a few fleas on the kittens, get aloe baby wipes and go over the coat, softly down to the skin. Don't make the kitten wet enough to be cold, and then go over kitten with a lice comb or flea comb. This is what I would do with a small amount of fleas, with a large amount, I would bathe in warm water, with tear free baby shampoo, and lid full of peroxide. Mix this and bathe the kitten. This is iffy, because if the kitten gets cold it can get sick.Too many fleas will kill the kitten from anemia.

Immediately put in in the bed with a warm hot water bottle for it and cover it with lots of absorbent towels, and place it back on it's mom. Poor baby kittens with fleas have such a hard time. As far as the worms go, all kittens have worms when they are little, most of the time, that is why their little bellies stick out.

Just remember to keep the babies warm and check with the vet about worms on the mom, I am wondering if they have a pill that will kill all of them or not like they do for doggies.

Go over the babies all the time with the aloe wipes, it is supposed to discourage fleas, it will not get rid of them, just discourage them, and it makes them happy, especially if you softly brush them like their mommy licks them, along the face and body, they feel like they are being groomed and loved on my mama cat...:)

Blessings,

Dry borax throughout the house. In their bed too. A gentle bath and flea comb. No poisons.

Once the fleas are gone and the cat and kittens are healthy, try feeding them brewer's yeast tablets. I learned this years ago when we went through a bout with fleas here. Some cats willingly eat the brewer's yeast tablets; one of mine liked it so much she used to eat it first, before eating the food in her dish (we laid the tablet on top of the food). It makes their blood taste horrible to the fleas and the fleas stay away. If there's any chance the cats can pick up fleas again, this might prevent it from happening. We never had flea problems again, because we stopped watching other peoples' pets for them in our home (a dog we watched left his fleas behind). My cats are strictly indoor cats so there's no chance mine will pick up fleas, but if you let your cats out, and they'll eat brewer's yeast, it may be enough to ward off the fleas. It's a natural product, and also has health benefits, as I recall. Brewer's yeast comes in powder form too that can be mixed into food, but if they don't like the taste of the yeast, the cats won't touch their food. As I said, some kitties like it and others don't - but it's worth a try.

My cat had 4 kittens 3 weeks ago, and I noticed that they had fleas on them. I didn't know the mother had fleas as I've been regularly using frontline on her, and she is also totally black, so you can't see fleas on her. I want to bathe them but some people say you can and some say you cant!

Also, if you give the mother a flea tablet. Will it filter through to the kittens and kill their fleas?

As far as the flea problem, vaseline dabbed on the flea slows them down and makes it easier to comb them out. Good Luck, we just had 6 kittens and are having the same problem.

Load More
Pets FleasMay 30, 2013
On the beach scratching fleas.
Getting Rid of Sand Fleas
Dog Scratching at Fleas
Getting Rid of Fleas in Your Yard
Man scratching his head.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Human Hair
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 11:09:52 PM on 10.0.1.149 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.