Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement

Basements are notorious for developing musty smells. This is a guide about getting rid of a musty smell in the basement.

Musty Smell in the Basement
Filter Sort

Question: Musty Smell in Basement

By Lois Crane 9

My aunt's basement has a very strong musty smell that is in the walls as well as the ceiling and beams. Is there anything that can be painted or sprayed on all the surfaces before regular painting so the smell is entirely covered?

By Lois from OH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Beth 25 1,120 Flag

My basement always smells musty when it starts to get warm. That's when I know it's time to haul the dehumidifier out.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Cellar

By david hine 1

How do I control musty odor in and old cellar?

David from Stillwater, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If you have a cellar door make sure the screen is in & also have a screen made for any small cellar windows. Between the cellar door screen & the window screen you should receive some type of cross breeze thereby eliminating the musty smell. Plus a dehumidifier absolutely also helps. Good luck.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Rid of Musty Smell in Basement

By dada 1

How do you get rid of a musty smell in the basement?

By Wanda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Janette 91 153 Flag

To rid the basement of musty smells use regular charcoal bricks. The kind used for grilling out. Do not use the ones with lighter fluid added to them. Place several bricks inb a pie tin and place around your basement. Hope this helps.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Rosie 20

How do I get rid of a musty smell in the basement?

By Rosie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marie Brack 131 Flag

Vinegar will take care of mustiness and molds, but it's a bit of a challenge to wash a whole basement with it. Maybe a spray bottle, and set pans of it out. Definitely the dehumidifier though, otherwise the vinegar won't be able to keep up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Basement Has a Musty Odor

Our basement is musty; I clean it often, but am not doing what needs to be done. What can we do to remove odor?

By Jean

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By ramar13579 1 Flag

If your basement floor has vinyl flooring or linoleum or anything that is non breathable check underneath for water and mould. A concrete floor must be able to breath or you will get mould and a musty smell.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Basement Odor

By Amy Joan N. 1

My 1950s era basement has such a strong musty smell that it can be noticed on the first floor. The house has a waterproofing system on the walls and floor, and there is no moisture anywhere that is visible. The dehumidifier runs 24/7 on high. There are 2 floor drains, one used by the dehumidifier and a sump pump. Help! I can't stand the smell in my kitchen, which wafts up from the basement.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Removing Musty Smell in Basement

How do I get rid of basement musty smell?

By Brenda

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Smell in Cellar

Our walk out basement has a cellar smell. The floor is fully carpeted over cement and has been there for about 25 years. The cellar smell/concrete smell appeared about 2 years ago. How do we get rid of this musty concrete/cellar smell?

By Pat M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Smelling Cellar

I have a walk-out cellar w/2 windows and a patio door. The windows are open all the time and I still get that smell. I purchased a dehumidifier. I ran it for a week straight which helped with the smell but almost doubled my light bill. Would a ceiling fan help? The walls are dry walled and it's all open. It's the game room and doubles as a spare bedroom.

By Lottie H

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

My basement is 90% finished, but I still get a musty smell in it. How can I get rid of it without spending a lot of money?

By Melissa M

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Musty Smell in Basement

There is a strong musty smell in my above ground and totally finished basement or lower level.

By Rob

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Musty Smell in Basement

Our basement has a damp and musty smell and we were wondering if there is anything that we can do to get rid of the smell? We have a lot of boxes and suitcases down there with things in them and they all have a bad odor. Thank you for any help

Vick from Pennsylvania

Answers:

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

We had that problem too. I bought several large bags of charcoal (the kind used for grilling), opened them and placed them around the basement in different areas. The charcoal absorbs the odors and some of the dampness that causes the odor. I hope this helps.

Editor's Note: Make sure you don't use the quick light kind that has lighter fuel in it. Plain charcoal should work well. (09/12/2006)

By Darlene

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

You probably need to invest in a dehumidifier. (09/13/2006)

By Robin

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

You could try these two things.One,basement needs to be ventilated.Open all basement windows.They should be open from April to October if you live in the north.Two,use a dehumidifier. (09/14/2006)

By Dean

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

to permanently get rid of the odor you need to get rid of the dampness. have you checked for cracks and leaks? if you're handy you can do any repairs yourself. if you're too busy or not too handy you need to get it done professionally. sometimes just painting the cement walls seals off a lot of dampness. cement is very porous and breathes and since one side is against damp soil it breathes in dampness. (09/14/2006)

By Carla

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

If you can ventilate in any way, I'd set out a plastic dishtub of hot water containing 1/3 cup bleach for several days. If no ventilation available, try other options below. God bless and protect you and your belongings as you try. :?) (09/14/2006)

By Lynda

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

I bought a dehumidifier. (09/20/2006)

By Meari

Archive: Musty Smell in Basement

Hello,
    Could anyone tell me how to get a musty smell out of the basement? I run a dehumidifier daily and I have tried vinegar, baking soda and Lysol but it still smells.
    Thanks,

Beverly

Feedback:

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

When I lived in Tennessee we had a basement for several years. I was much younger then and I would dump bleach on the floor, use the hose to spread it and then swept it down the drain. I have also used household ammonia but you have to use a mask for that. Hope you get rid of that smell. (08/11/2007)

By MartyD

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

Get several bags of kitty litter (cheap off brands are okay), slit them open and place around your basement.
    (08/11/2007)

By perfume and powder

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

Open a bag of charcoal (or two) and put it in your basement. (08/12/2007)

By Birdy123

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

I bought something in the dollar store that was supposed to collect moisture in the basement. It was a small plastic container with pellets and a space that would eventually fill up with water. I put two of them on the floor in my basement where the floor would get damp. Well it did fill with water! It took maybe about 6 weeks; I really didn't note when I put them down. To make a long story short, just this morning I was looking to find this type of product on the internet and came up with the following which seems to work on the same principle and it's cheap. Read the Help link. It mentions dampness, musty, mildew, etc. and it's not electric. Hope this helps.

http://www.nationalmarineproducts.com/Non_Electric_Air_Dehumidifiers_s/4.htm (08/14/2007)

By bettyboop5382

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

If you use charcoal, stir it weekly so it keeps on working. (08/14/2007)

By cookwie

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

We got water in our basement while on vacation. Everything got wet and started to mildew by the time we got back. All cardboard boxes and contents were ruined. We got Odo-Ban from Sam's and diluted it into a spray bottle. After washing the floors, we sprayed it. You would never know there was anything moldy or mildewy down there. Works great. (08/14/2007)

By Nancy

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

We don't have basements in Texas where I live, but I remember when I lived in Illinois, we had that problem with an old house. You need something to absorb the moisture. Either scatter charcoal around (you can get it at Greenhouses specially for this). It is what they use in Cat Litter, or there are commercial products in little buckets that you open and set around. (08/15/2007)

By ruthvalley gal

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

I have used this with great success. Get a pop flat made of cardboard from your local store (you might want to get a few) add charcoal (without lighter fluid on) put it in the flat then add Epsom salts (the kind you soak in) over the top! This should help, I changed mine on a monthly basis. (08/17/2007)

By crazimom

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

We just bought a house in the "wet lands" of CT. The house has been closed up for well over a year and the musty smell is horrible through the whole house. The basement/family room being the worst! Thanks for the tips. I bought the dehumidifier a couple days ago (LG 65pints). My husband & I will be burning the wood stove for a couple days this weekend- in hopes to dry it out some. I'm on the lookout for charcoal. I'll keep you posted. (03/06/2008)

By Veronica

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

I have an oscillating fan that I turn on for 2-3 hours each day. Works wonderful. Really does the trick. (03/27/2008)

By Sammi

Archive: Musty Smell in Basement

The basement in our cottage became musty 2 summers ago when we were not available to dump the dehumidifier. Prior to that it was fresh and dry. There are no visible signs of mold or mildew. It is mostly painted cinder block with a painted floor covered with carpet remnants. We know that it needs be removed.

The well is in the basement and you can see the sand around it so moisture will be an ongoing issue if the dehumidifier is not emptied regularly. What can we use or do to clean it and remove the musty smell?

By SLS from Grand Rapids, MI

Feedback:

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

Lowe's has a wonderful, powerful, almost magical product that comes in a can you simply set into the room and leave it, it draws out all damp, musty smells. I don't know the brand name, but an associate there can help you find it. I use them sometimes in my hallway where my dogs like to urinate at night. Works perfectly. (06/17/2009)

By darween

Archive: Musty Smell in Basement

I have a very musty smelly basement. I may have someone staying with us who could live down there. Besides a dehumidifier or those retail water absorbers that you buy what can I do about the odor? Any tried and true secrets for the basement?

By spoostad from CT

Feedback:

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

If your basement is damp, it may be due to sealing it up and keeping windows closed. You are better off ventilating the basement by opening windows for cross-ventilation from April to October. Using the dehumidifier too much can be a hazard sometimes, because a humidifier will remove the water vapor from the air, which is good, but will also pull water vapor through the concrete slab, making unnecessary work. In cold weather, the basement should be dry, and there should be no need for ventilation or de-humidification, which costs big bucks. (08/20/2009)

By foxrun41

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

There is a product called Odoban, comes in a gallon jug and is highly concentrated it works wonderfully at removing any odor. You can clean with it and then mix a spray bottle up mixed with water and use it to spray on carpet, couch, pillows, drapes, just about anything. This product is the greatest. I even use to clean the barn and you would not know there were animals living in there. I buy it at Home Depot. (08/22/2009)

By gentlehrtd

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

If you like the smell of olives, then dust the basement area with olive leaf powder. Not only will OLP eliminate the musty smell, it will also keep any mold from forming. Use of a dehumidifier, along with the dusting of olive leaf powder, will do it. Peace and blessings.

Joyce in CT (08/23/2009)

By akiba37

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

I have used Odo Ban in a spray which I have purchased from Walmart and it says it is pet friendly. Nice scent. I have used Simple Green as well which is nontoxic. With both I spray carpet and wipe down stuff.

I have also used white vinegar left in bowls around the room. Spritzed the carpet as well. Takes longer for the vinegar scent to disappear, but it is a disinfectant and mold killer as well.

Lavender essential oil is another good disinfectant. Mix about 8 drops with water in a spray bottle and have at it.
    (08/23/2009)

By dvg

RE: Musty Smell in Basement

If it's that musty, then it's that damp, and the only real solution is to dry it up. Otherwise you are just covering it up. Molds in the air can make you sick. Get a dehumidifier. (08/25/2009)

By Beth

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 23, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    cleaning bucket
    Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
    Must Leather Couch
    Removing Musty Smell From Leather Furniture
    Old Stained Book Laying Open
    Removing Musty Smell from Books
    Musty Smelling Carpet
    Cleaning Musty Smelling Carpets
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 8:12:24 AM on 10.0.0.234 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsProductsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings