Browsing: Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Getting Rid of a Musty Smell in the Basement

Basements are notorious for developing musty smells. This is a guide about getting rid of a musty smell in the basement.

Musty Smell in the Basement

Related Product:

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 26, 2011 Flag

My aunt's basement has a very strong musty smell that is in the walls as well as the ceiling and beams. Is there anything that can be painted or sprayed on all the surfaces before regular painting so the smell is entirely covered?

By Lois from OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

If it's possible open the windows in the basement to ventilate it so fresh air comes in. If you are going to do the job of taking care of the musty smell in the basement, make sure that you wear a face mask before you tackle a cleaning job. Use a mixture of bleach and water and scrub the walls. The bleach and water combination will get rid of the musty smell and mold. I don't know what can be done with the ceiling. What your aunt's basement needs is a dehumidifier which will remove the dampness.

Maybe others will post some of their ideas.

Best Answer

I agree with the idea of using bleach, but also trying using the product KILZ. It's a primer you use before painting. In my experience, it gets rid of odor and if your going from a darker color to lighter, it works great. Hope this helps.

My basement always smells musty when it starts to get warm. That's when I know it's time to haul the dehumidifier out.

Thank you.

September 20, 2015 Flag

My 1950s era basement has such a strong musty smell that it can be noticed on the first floor. The house has a waterproofing system on the walls and floor, and there is no moisture anywhere that is visible. The dehumidifier runs 24/7 on high. There are 2 floor drains, one used by the dehumidifier and a sump pump. Help! I can't stand the smell in my kitchen, which wafts up from the basement.

Best Answer

I have been successful at getting rid of musty odors by setting out bowls of straight white vinegar in such an area. had a friend who lived in the basement area of a very old house. he used the vinegar and it worked for him. took a few days. and to keep the odor away, the vinegar needs to be replaced as needed. also increase the fresh air intake.

Just an older finished basement. Has a musty smell. Damp rid helps but costly. So I am looking for a home remedy to eliminate the odors.

My house is air tight and the lower level has a distinct musty smell. how can I get rid of it/ The house is 15 years old.

we have a very strong musty smell coming up from basement we want to get rid of

Make sure the drains have water in the trap or it may let him sewer gas that might be what you're smelling

March 3, 2015 Flag

How do you get rid of a musty smell in the basement?

By Wanda

Best Answer

To rid the basement of musty smells use regular charcoal bricks. The kind used for grilling out. Do not use the ones with lighter fluid added to them. Place several bricks inb a pie tin and place around your basement. Hope this helps.

A musty smell in the basement usually means that the basement has a water problem.

http://www.housecleaningcentral.com ... cleaning-tips/odor-removal/odor.html

Cat litter in flat pans

June 23, 2012 Flag

How do I get rid of a musty smell in the basement?

By Rosie

Best Answer

A musty smell usually comes from mold or dirt. Try running a dehumidifier to see if it improves. My daughter's allergist tells her a clean house doesn't smell. I hope this helps you. I have that smell in my basement, too.

Best Answer

Vinegar will take care of mustiness and molds, but it's a bit of a challenge to wash a whole basement with it. Maybe a spray bottle, and set pans of it out. Definitely the dehumidifier though, otherwise the vinegar won't be able to keep up.

July 20, 2007 Flag

How do I control musty odor in and old cellar?

David from Stillwater, NY

Best Answer

Place BBQ charcoals around the room, they pull the smell out, Them use Oil Of Mint, on cotton balls to give it a nice mintie smell

Editor's Note: To clarify, use plain barbecue charcoal, NOT the easy light kind with the lighter fluid in them.

Best Answer

You need a dehumidifier to take the moisture out of the air. After a few days you will be amazed at the difference.

Best Answer

If you have a cellar door make sure the screen is in & also have a screen made for any small cellar windows. Between the cellar door screen & the window screen you should receive some type of cross breeze thereby eliminating the musty smell. Plus a dehumidifier absolutely also helps. Good luck.

October 18, 2014 Flag

Our basement is musty; I clean it often, but am not doing what needs to be done. What can we do to remove odor?

By Jean

Best Answer

If your basement floor has vinyl flooring or linoleum or anything that is non breathable check underneath for water and mould. A concrete floor must be able to breath or you will get mould and a musty smell.

Load More
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJune 23, 2012
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
cleaning bucket
Eliminating Musty Smells from a Room
Old Stained Book Laying Open
Removing Musty Smell from Books
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 8:54:01 PM on 10.0.1.215 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.