Musty Smelling Cellar

I have a walk-out cellar w/2 windows and a patio door. The windows are open all the time and I still get that smell. I purchased a dehumidifier. I ran it for a week straight which helped with the smell but almost doubled my light bill. Would a ceiling fan help? The walls are dry walled and it's all open. It's the game room and doubles as a spare bedroom.

By Lottie H

A dehumidifier should not have that effect on your electric bill. If you ran it, windows are open and you still have that smell, then somehow water is getting in. Do you have a leak coming from any pipes, hotwater heater, furnace??? Are your walls leaking in water from the outside? Yes a ceiling fan would also help, but the best thing would be to find a source of where the moisture is coming from.

Yes, a dehumididifer runs your electric up BIG time . I have a brand new one in my basement and used it one year. I don't use it anymore because I can't afford the double bill.

Dehumidifiers dont use a lot of electricity. You can run fans for little money

Anonymous

My dehumidifier upped my bill $58.00 a month!!!!!!!!!!