Homemade Bookmarks

Category Miscellaneous
Whether making them for yourself or as gifts, homemade bookmarks are fun for the whole family to make. This is a guide about homemade bookmarks.

I wanted to come up with a homemade personalized gift for my best girlfriend of 42 years. She happens to be an avid reader and this is what I came up with, and with items I already had on hand :-)

Materials:

Instructions

I think the picture will help explain, I hope.

1. Find a favorite photo (matte photos or regular paper printed photos work better than glossy photos).
  2. Use the ruler to draw two lines with pen or pencil for a cutting guide around the portion of the photo you would like to use as the bookmark, but make sure the lines are only about an inch and a half apart. (The photo I chose is a couple of decades old and was where the shot was taken a bit of distance away so that our images weren't taking up the entire picture.)
  3. Cut along the lines you drew.
  4. Now place the photo on a flat clean surface.
  5. Pull out a bit of extra tape, longer than the length of the photo and carefully start placing it on one edge of the photo. Be sure you slowly and smoothly rub the tape as you work towards the other end.
  6. Now turn it over and place the tape the same way on the other side. Press the tape well along all of the edges and then cut the excess tape away from all sides of the photo.
  7. Punch a hole at either end of the now encased photo, wherever you wish to place the hole.
  8. What I did is string a bead through a very thin piece of twine to the center of the twine.
  9. Then I pushed the two ends through the hole punched portion of the photo, looped the two ends through the hole again and knotted them. Then I made a little loop and knotted again. You don't need to be as complicated as using the bead idea.

You can use just about any paper or cloth item to make a nice personalized bookmark like this. How about a piece of fabric from a favorite dress, shirt, pants, blanket, or some wrapping paper, a portion of a greeting card, or your baby's first haircut clippings on a piece of blue or pink paper. Hey, the sky is the limit!

For those of you who remember my request and helped me last year about ideas regarding my childhood blanket, well, guess what, I have a bonus childhood blanket bookmark now. My only word of warning is to practice with something you aren't worried about losing/messing up first, LOL!

Have fun and please share a photo of your creation if you use this idea.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Neat idea! Gonna do it right away!

Hairy Monster Paperclip Bookmarks

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Make some of these fun bookmarks to use and give as gifts along with a book. This is a guide about hairy monster bookmarks.

Here is a duct tape book marker my daughter made for me for my reading.

They don't slip out because of the texture, and they are so colorful.

I just love it!

Good idea. Because I read in bed laying on side my pages tend to fold over on themselves. Drove me nuts so after a long while I thought to use a thin hair elastic band. I slip it over the side I haven't yet read, (from top to bottom and include cover) and just slip my fingers under it to turn pages. Annoyance gone.

Sturdy Chipboard Bookmarks - tie a ribbon through the top  and your are finished bookmarks

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Having a good mark is very helpful when reading a book. Chipboard is a great material to make bookmarks from. This is a guide about sturdy chipboard bookmarks.

Greeting Card Bookmark

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is one of the bookmarks I made to go with the less than a dollar new books I picked up on half.com to give as gifts this year.

Simple Paperclip Bookmarks

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Paperclip bookmarks are quite functional, and additionally, they are easy enough for children to make. This is a guide about simple paperclip bookmarks.

Three different bookmarks made from wallpaper.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Leftover wallpaper or pieces from a sample book can be made into beautiful bookmarks. This is a guide about wallpaper bookmarks.

A variety of paper photo frame shaped paper clip bookmarks.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making paper clip photo frame bookmarks. These tiny paper photo frames on a paper clip make simple, but unique bookmarks.

Making a Book Page Bookmark

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about making a book page bookmark. Discarded books can find a new life when used to make a variety of craft projects.

I am giving books to friends this year for Christmas. While getting out my card holder from last year filled with last years cards a thought came to me to make bookmarks to put inside the books I am giving.

Rebecca Lanham0 found this helpful

Stamped bookmarks.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

You and children of any age can make these simple paintings with just some construction paper, paint, and stamps (or cut potatoes).