Homemade Bug Spray

Making a spray to deal with insects can take care of the problem. This guide is about homemade bug spray.

July 8, 2012 Flag

Sitting at my desk this morning, I heard the buzz of an insect. To my dismay, a very large, wasp-like insect was buzzing between the window and the curtain. Not wanting to spray insecticide where I would be working for the next several hours, I grabbed a spray bottle of 25% vinegar/75% water that I use to spot kill weeds. It killed the critter almost instantly, and no toxins for me to breathe!

By Linda from Vista, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 2 Comments

May 18, 2005 Flag

If you don't have any bug spray around - try using Listerine. It kills them just as fast as the bug spray and it's not harmful to us.

By Heather S.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 5 Comments

May 23, 2011 Flag

If you have to spray any type of bug spray to save or preserve your plants or flowers (inside or outside), add a few drops of Dawn dish detergent to the mixture and it will actually help the spray stick and work, instead of run off. It will keep its strength and stick better to your plants.

By David from Ellsworth, ME

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 11, 2013 Flag

Use rhubarb leaves to kill aphids. Boil three to five rhubarb leaves in one litre (one quart) of water for 30 minutes. Add a dash of dish soap or vegetable oil for sticking power and spray away.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 27, 2014 Flag

How do I make a homemade inexpensive spray for flying insects?

By Marion

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use pure undiluted Listerene. A friend who has chicken houses here in Arkansas uses it around her home and it is very successful in keeping fies away. I just walk around every few days or so and spray the stuff all around. Especially on outdoor furniture (cloth). If it rains - just spray again. It works!

I also keep a huge litter box in my garage and the flies are relentless. I have not had a single fly since I began spraying around the box and the door to my home!

I use a cheap can of hair spray. Spray the flying insects and it stiffens their wings so they can't fly! I use this especially on bees or wasps that get in the house. Works every time!

September 5, 2007 Flag

Do you have any natural bug spray recipes to share? Please submit them here.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

how do i mix coconut oil and vinegar for bug spray

I found this on the web and tried it. It has been working so far on my uninvited indoor 'guests'. The guy said it would kill most any bug. You put it in a sprayer bottle and shake before spraying:

2 parts water

2 parts alcohol

1 part dish soap

It is safe, cheap to make and with ingredients easily found already in the home.

I got the recipe from:

http://www.askt  amp;limitstart=1

Rub a dryer sheet on your skin.

I've had a lot of success using lavender as an insect repellent -- insects hate that fragrance! Put lavender lotion or body butter on your skin. Spritz body splash on your hair to keep the little critters away from your face. You have to replenish these more often than commercial repellents but they cost less (you can often find these products in dollar stores), smell better, and don't have the harmful side effects. One thing: buy "pure" lavender scents. Right now lavender/violet mixtures are popular but the additional scent will actually attract insects.

I am not sure of the exact recipe but I came across a website that used several essential oils mixed with water. I bet if you searched on Google for "essential oil bug spray recipe" you would find it. Essential oils are great for many things so if it doesn't work for bug spray you are not out any money.

I received an email that went around that said to use Listerine mouth wash in a spray bottle and you spray around your chair or on your skin. Surely it wouldn't hurt to spray something that goes into your mouth on your skin.

I saw this "receipt" on our local tv station -just mix liquid soap with water, and spray with this mixture to get rid of those little bugs. Don't use too much soap if you use it on the plants (as I do to get rid of those little bugs). Also, don't use this on skin or your pets, as it dry your skin out, and pets have a tendency to lick themselves, which means they'll end up eating the soapy

water

Anna, NYC

Anna

Home and Garden Pest Control InsectsNovember 27, 2012
Bug Sprayed on Wood Table
Cleaning a Bug Spray Stain on Wood Table
Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Making a Multidirectional Spray Bottle
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle
Hair Spray Nozzle
Unclogging Hair Spray Nozzle
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 12:16:36 AM on 10.0.0.26 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.