Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

There are many commercial and homemade products you can use to remove pet urine odors from furniture and carpet. However, finding a solution to urine odors on other surfaces may be more elusive. This is a guide about homemade cleaners for pet urine odors.

August 19, 2011 Flag

This cleaner is cheap and works wonders. The recipe was given to me by my daughter years ago.

I mix this up in larger amounts. I usually use at least 3 cups of peroxide and 6 Tbsp of ammonia. I have yet to find a carpet stain that it will not remove. Some spots just disappear before your eyes. Others need to be blotted with white paper towels or a white cloth. If it is a terrible stain, the paper towels may need to be weighted down overnight.

Being the owner of four cats, I keep it mixed up all the time and I would put it up against the most expensive cleaner you can buy commercially. I have also used it on spots on upholstery as well as spots on the walls. It is a multipurpose cleaner for me.

By Dink from Louisville, TN

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

August 14, 2010 Flag

What can I use from my kitchen for pet odor clean-up (doggie pee)?

By Donna from CA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When it's still wet I'll blot with paper towels then sprinkle baking soda on to neutralize and soak up more urine. Then a few drops of dish detergent in a cup of water whipped foamy in the mixer and applied to the spot. I will then blot as dry as possible. If odor remains try Febreeze.

The pee recipe I used was 2 cups of peroxide 2 teaspoon of soda and 2 drops of dishwahing soap and it worked like a dream! Test on a spot that is hidden, but I used it on urine, coffee and whatever other stains I had on the carpet and poof it was gone. Marvelous cleaner!

Who ever posted that did wonders for my stains. It said not not rub, but let it sit and dry and it will vacuum up. I very softy washed a huge coffee stain and it was gone within minutes. Thanks so much to the person that posted this! Nikki

May 19, 2013 Flag

Is there a cheap homemade recipe to neutralise the urine odour on a largish scale and not indoors?

By Mike from Scotland, UK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

There is a product I found at Sam's Club called Oda-Ban. Works great. Also sounds like you have cats urinating all over the place. If you put any kind of citrus peelings all around they will not go their. They hate the smell of citrus. A friend of mine uses moth balls all around her house. This also works but I'd rather use orange or lemon peels. Believe me... this works. Hope this helps.

January 21, 2010 Flag

I need a simple recipe for removing pet urine odors that I can make myself.

Debbie

Answers:

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

I have used the following recipe and like it. I've tried everything on the market including vinegar and dish soap. Nothing worked, especially on cat urine. I have been using this recipe for years now. It works. I have 4 cats and 2 dogs, and when one has an accident I use this and it takes the smell away instantly! No more having to buy expensive removers from the store.

• 1 (8 ounce) bottle hydrogen peroxide
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1-2 drops of liquid dish soap

Mix all together gently and pour in a spray bottle. Do not shake up this mix or you may have a lot of foam. I have also used a watering can and this works well also.

Spray onto urine stain and walk away. Allow to dry. No need to rub or scrub the area. For tough odors you may have to repeat. I would also check your fabric/carpet for color fastness before using due to the peroxide content. I have never had any problems with any fabric changing colors from this mix. (02/20/2009)

By Linda

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

This works well for me. Blot up as much of the wet stain as you can.Then mix 3/4 parts Gain or Tide liquid detergent to 1/4 part water in a bowl. Pour over stain and lightly scrub in. Let dry completely (you may need to place a fan to help dry faster). You almost have to let it soak down to the carpet padding, or you'll never get rid of the odor. I have tried several expensive brands of neutralizer from pet stores and was not pleased with results v/s what I paid for the products. (02/20/2009)

By NCTyphoon

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

I soak up as much of the urine as I can. Then I use white vinegar mixed with water. 1/2 and 1/2 to wet it down. Then soak it up again. Once in a while I need to soak it up with the vinegar mix twice. (02/20/2009)

By suzin

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

I have had a problem with cat urine on my bed spread. It is washable, but after washing there was a faint lingering smell. I washed it the next time and added 1/2 cup borax (I have a front loading machine). There was no smell this time. I understand borax (borateem) can have a lightening effect like peroxide, but I have never had it do that. I use it all the time now on anything with an odor. (02/20/2009)

By Lizzyanny

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

An occasional potty mishap on the carpet by the dog who did not get to the back door fast enough; I toss a towel on it to soak up, then I slosh some clear vinegar onto it, run and get about 2 cups warm water, more vinegar to the mix, slop that on and grab the carpet shampooer to suck it all up. My carpet does not smell at all. I do not use deodorizers in my home due to allergies. I also use my carpet shampooer with CLEAN WATER ONLY about once a month to rinse the carpet. You can put some vinegar in the water to rinse if you want a fresh smell. (02/21/2009)

By TandT Grandma

Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors

I am a dog breeder and have tried everything! Similar to the above recipe, I use one part peroxide to 9 parts water in a spray bottle. After soaking up as much urine, I spray it with the solution, sprinkle baking soda on top and let it dry. The baking soda soaks up the urine and you vacuum it when dry. (04/29/2009)

By momto3girls

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
  • 0 found this helpful
    August 14, 2010 Flag

It has been suggested that a mixture of 8 ozs hydrogen peroxide mixed with 1/4 cup of baking soda and two drops of dish washing liquid can be used to remove pet urine odors from carpets. Can you tell me if water must be used in this mixture and if yes, how much?

Thank you.

By Ian

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsMarch 16, 2014
    Water on Deck
    Homemade Deck Cleaner Recipes
    Pet Ferret
    Household Products for Removing Pet Odors
    orange house cat
    Homemade Cat Urine Cleaner Recipes
    woman holding her nose
    Getting Rid of Urine Odors
    🍀
    💘
    © 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 12:13:27 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.