Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Insecticide Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Homemade Insecticide

Many gardeners prefer to make their own insecticide rather than buying products from the nursery or garden store. This is a guide about homemade insecticide recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Insecticide Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Pick Pests Off Your Garden for Insect Spray

If you have bugs in your garden, here's an easy, organic and free way to get rid of them. If you're squeamish about this, put on rubber gloves, garden gloves, or latex gloves and pluck the bugs off the plants, one species at a time, and put them in a cupful of water. You'll get used to it enough to do it bare-handed later, which is much easier. It may sound icky, but it works.

Then take the water and pour it into your blender and blend until you can't see the actual critters any more. Put the water into a spray bottle and spray it on the the same plants you took the bugs from. This prompts a "danger, Will Robinson" response from that type of bug and keeps them away.

Just do one kind of bug at a time, be they beetles, aphids or whatever else you encounter. No pesticides, no traps to empty, just a lovely, bug-free garden. And don't worry about the blender. Wash it as usual and it'll be just fine.

Source: I think I read this in "Organic Gardening" magazine years ago.

By pollylev

Tip: Dishsoap Insect Spray

I use soap to spray for insects in garden. Mix 1 tablespoon of liquid soap with water in a quart spray bottle from Dollar store. Spray once a week and after a rain.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

Tip: Garden: Insecticide From Rhubarb Leaves

gardenRhubarb leaves can be used to make an effective organic insecticide (cabbage caterpillars, aphids, peach and cherry slug, etc).

• rhubarb leaves
  • soap flakes
  • spray bottle

Directions:

1. Boil for about 15 or 20 minutes.

2. Let cool

3. Strain the liquid into container.

4. Dissolve some soap flakes in this liquid and use it to spray against aphids.
Special Note: Do not eat leaves, they are poisonous.

Source:

By Kathy from New Zealand

Tip: Make Tobacco Spray for Insect Pests

We all know the risks of nicotine by smoking, but the same is true for bugs by eating. Rid your garden of pests by way of nicotine.

Get a can of chewing tobacco, flavored or not color. Strain through a coffee filter. Pour into spray bottle 50/50 with water. Spray on leaves. Reapply after rain or watering, that washes the spray off the leaves.

By Julesthered from Yakima, WA

Tip: Citric Acid Solution for Aphids

I spray infected plants with citric acid solution (1 teaspoon of citric acid dissolved in 0.5 L of water). I sometimes spray this solution on all plants as a protective method even if they're not affected, and repeat as needed, it works. But avoid spraying the plants in the morning, you can do it in the afternoon after the sunset to protect the leaves from getting burnt.

By Araz from Syria

Tip: Homemade Aphid Repellant

Question:

I am looking for a homemade aphid repellant recipe. I know I have used one before but the recipe has escaped me.

Thanks,
Stan.

Answer:

Stan,

Try this recipe for getting rid of aphids:

• 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 small onion (finely chopped)
  • 1 tablespoon of ivory dish soap
  • 2 cups of water

Combine these ingredients into a blender or food processor on high. Strain the pulp from the liquid using cheesecloth, a nylon stocking or a fine-meshed colander. Pour the remaining liquid into a spray bottle and spray it directly on flowers or plants to control aphids. Another easy method is to use a strong spray from a garden hose every few days until the aphids are no longer visible.

Tip: Homemade Spray for Rose Bushes

Ingredients

• 1 gallon of water
  • 2 Tbsp. of bleach
  • 2 drops of antibacterial dishwashing liquid such as Ajax
  • (optional)pinch of cinnamon

Directions

Shake well. Spray every 8 to ten days. Water well before and after spraying. Don't spray blooms and don't wash spray off. Make new spray each time you spray as the chlorine content will weaken

By Bill from Florida

Tip: Keeping Bugs off Plants

To help keep the worms and leaf eating bugs off your garden plants use jalapeno peppers, boil and strain, put the pepper "broth" in about a gallon of warm water and spray plants, this is a very safe bug repellant. Use about 6-8 peppers to a quart of water.

By ZIPP2101

If you have any more tips for keeping bugs off plants, feel free to post them.

Tip: Insect Repellant for Plants

To keep those pesky insects away from your plants, combine one bulb of garlic, 1 small onion, and 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper in the blender. Mix with 1 quart water and let stand for one hour. Then add 1 Tbsp. Ivory liquid and mist your plants!

By Rachel's mom

Article: Aphid Control on Roses

For aphid control on roses, here is what we use:

• 1 quart water
  • 1 Tbsp. dish detergent
  • 1 tsp. cooking oil (makes the solution stick to the roses)
  • 1 cup distilled vinegar

Directions:

Put it all in a spray bottle, mix it up (foaminess is good), spray every day 'til the aphids kick the bucket!

Also, I use the high-powered spray from the hose to knock them off if the roses are still in bud stage.

Or, as a last resort, I put on my garden gloves, crush the little buggers with my fingers (yuk!), then top the roses off with the homemade spray.

By Ness

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Insecticide Recipes.

Question: Bug Killer Recipe

Q: My husband would like a recipe for making his own bug killer to use on tomatoes, potatoes and hostas. He would like a spray on pesticide if there is one available. Thank you so much.

Barb Zone: 4a

barbo37 from Fairview, MI

A: Barbo37,

There are many variations of this floating around in print and on the web, but here is another good all around recipe for repelling bugs:

• 1 cup liquid dish soap (or Murphy's Oil Soap or baby shampoo)
  • 1 cup tobacco tea (3 fingers of chewing tobacco in a nylon stocking and soak it in a gallon of hot water until the mixture is dark in color)
  • 1 cup antiseptic mouthwash
  • 1/4 cup of Tabasco Sauce (or substitute chopped hot peppers)

Mix these ingredients in a 20-gallon hose end sprayer, filling the rest of the sprayer with water, and spray your plants. You can also reduce these measurements down to proportions that suit a hand held spray bottle. Slugs and snails love hosta, but they detest crossing sharp surfaces because it causes them injury. Prevent them from climbing up hosta plants by sprinkling eggshells or diatomaeous earth around the base. Round sandpaper disks also work well for this purpose. Cut a slit in used disks and wrap them around stems.

Good Luck!

Ellen

By Ellen Brown

Most Recent Answer

By Mandy Leigh [1]07/20/2010

Well, I read all of these and made my own, which, I will now use for life. I took just rosemary, not even fresh, just dry rosemary from your cabinet, I ground it up, then, I took equal amounts of mouth wash & water, then, I added 2 cap fulls of baby oil, put all into ingredients a spray bottle, shake it up and the more it sits, the more the aroma of the rosemary is stronger so it works better each time you use it.

Question: Recipe for Homemade Insecticide

How do you make homemade insecticide? My grandson is trying to earn a gardening badge for Boy Scouts and is having a problem with roly poly bugs eating the tomatoes. He does not want to use a commercial product, but prefers to use something less harmful to the environment. Your help would be greatly appreciated!

By Shari

Most Recent Answer

By hopefulau [1]07/15/2013

From: SGGuides

To manage problems with aphids and mites, try a pesticide made with rhubarb leaves. Simply boil rhubarb leaves in water for 20 minutes, and when cool strain into a spray bottle. A mild dishwashing soap can be added as well. (take care with the leaves as they are poisonous when eaten)

For managing leaf-chewing pests, mix up mashed chili peppers, chopped onion and a head of minced garlic. Allow to steep in water for 24 hours before straining and spraying tomato plants.

To curb attacks from tomato hornworms and other leaf cutters, make a mash of marigold leaves and flowers, and soak in water for 24 hours. Strain the solids, and add another 1.5 quarts of water plus a pinch of liquid castille soap before spraying.

For problems with beetles, caterpillars, whitefly and any soft-bodied insect pest, use a mix of water, cayenne peppers and chopped horseradish root.

Question: Homemade Aphid Spray with Vinegar

I have seen posts that suggest using vinegar to get rid of aphids. Isn't vinegar harmful to growing things?

By Joan

Most Recent Answer

By Eileen M. [54]07/08/2013

Vinegar is a great HERBICIDE (weed killer). For aphids, I suggest a squirt of liquid dish soap in a pint or so of water, spray the leaves, contacting as many aphids as possible. After 20 minutes or so, you may want to rinse off the soapy water so you don't burn the leaves.

Question: Borax and Water Insecticide

How much borax do you add to a quart squirt bottle of water to use for insecticide? Anybody know? Thanks!

By Kelly from NM

Most Recent Answer

By LARRY FLUITT12/01/2012

First question would be why use borax to begin with, though considered low toxic it is still a number of times more toxic than anything else you or an exterminator would use for insect control. It is a slow acting stomach poison, so it would take time to get the job done if you are fighting a current insect infestation. The borates can be effective by lightly dusting out of the way places of the home, but mainly as a preventative.

25th year as exterminator

Question: Homemade Garden Insecticide

I am looking for insecticide recipes.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By doc8888webb from Independence, MO

Question: Bug Repellent for Tomato Plants

Does anyone know the recipe for homemade bug repellant for tomatoes? I once saw a recipe with dish soap and water but i don't remember the amount to use.

Thanks in advance,
Jojogirl.

Most Recent Answer

By SG (Guest Post)09/10/2008

How does one apply this recipe? Spray it on? How often? Do you mix the epson salts in water before adding one cup of the mixture, or just put a cup of epson salts in with the other liquids?