Homemade Insecticide Recipes

Homemade Insecticide

Many gardeners prefer to make their own insecticide rather than buying products from the nursery or garden store. This is a guide about homemade insecticide recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Insecticide Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Pick Pests Off Your Garden for Insect Spray

If you have bugs in your garden, here's an easy, organic and free way to get rid of them. If you're squeamish about this, put on rubber gloves, garden gloves, or latex gloves and pluck the bugs off the plants, one species at a time, and put them in a cupful of water.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Dishsoap Insect Spray

I use soap to spray for insects in garden. Mix 1 tablespoon of liquid soap with water in a quart spray bottle from Dollar store. Spray once a week and after a rain.

By Kathleen from Dothan, AL

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Garden: Insecticide From Rhubarb Leaves

gardenRhubarb leaves can be used to make an effective organic insecticide (cabbage caterpillars, aphids, peach and cherry slug, etc).

• rhubarb leaves
  • soap flakes
  • spray bottle

1. Boil for about 15 or 20 minutes.

2. Let cool

3. Strain the liquid into container.

4. Dissolve some soap flakes in this liquid and use it to spray against aphids.
Special Note: Do not eat leaves, they are poisonous.

By Kathy from New Zealand

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Make Tobacco Spray for Insect Pests

We all know the risks of nicotine by smoking, but the same is true for bugs by eating. Rid your garden of pests by way of nicotine.

Get a can of chewing tobacco, flavored or not color. Strain through a coffee filter. Pour into spray bottle 50/50 with water. Spray on leaves. Reapply after rain or watering, that washes the spray off the leaves.

By Julesthered from Yakima, WA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Citric Acid Solution for Aphids

I spray infected plants with citric acid solution (1 teaspoon of citric acid dissolved in 0.5 L of water). I sometimes spray this solution on all plants as a protective method even if they're not affected, and repeat as needed, it works.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Homemade Aphid Repellant

I am looking for a homemade aphid repellant recipe. I know I have used one before but the recipe has escaped me.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Homemade Spray for Rose Bushes

• 1 gallon of water
  • 2 Tbsp. of bleach
  • 2 drops of antibacterial dishwashing liquid such as Ajax
  • (optional)pinch of cinnamon

Shake well. Spray every 8 to ten days. Water well before and after spraying. Don't spray blooms and don't wash spray off. Make new spray each time you spray as the chlorine content will weaken

By Bill from Florida

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Keeping Bugs off Plants

To help keep the worms and leaf eating bugs off your garden plants use jalapeno peppers, boil and strain, put the pepper "broth" in about a gallon of warm water and spray plants, this is a very safe bug repellant. Use about 6-8 peppers to a quart of water.

By ZIPP2101

If you have any more tips for keeping bugs off plants, feel free to post them.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Tip: Insect Repellant for Plants

To keep those pesky insects away from your plants, combine one bulb of garlic, 1 small onion, and 1 Tbsp. cayenne pepper in the blender. Mix with 1 quart water and let stand for one hour. Then add 1 Tbsp. Ivory liquid and mist your plants!

By Rachel's mom

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Article: Aphid Control on Roses

Here is what we use for aphid control on roses.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Insecticide Recipes.

Question: Bug Killer Recipe

Q: My husband would like a recipe for making his own bug killer to use on tomatoes, potatoes and hostas. He would like a spray on pesticide if there is one available. Thank you so much.

Barb Zone: 4a

barbo37 from Fairview, MI

A: Barbo37,

There are many variations of this floating around in print and on the web, but here is another good all around recipe for repelling bugs:

• 1 cup liquid dish soap (or Murphy's Oil Soap or baby shampoo)
  • 1 cup tobacco tea (3 fingers of chewing tobacco in a nylon stocking and soak it in a gallon of hot water until the mixture is dark in color)
  • 1 cup antiseptic mouthwash
  • 1/4 cup of Tabasco Sauce (or substitute chopped hot peppers)

Mix these ingredients in a 20-gallon hose end sprayer, filling the rest of the sprayer with water, and spray your plants. You can also reduce these measurements down to proportions that suit a hand held spray bottle. Slugs and snails love hosta, but they detest crossing sharp surfaces because it causes them injury. Prevent them from climbing up hosta plants by sprinkling eggshells or diatomaeous earth around the base. Round sandpaper disks also work well for this purpose. Cut a slit in used disks and wrap them around stems.

Good Luck!

By Ellen Brown

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By Mandy Leigh [1] 07/20/2010

Well, I read all of these and made my own, which, I will now use for life. I took just rosemary, not even fresh, just dry rosemary from your cabinet, I ground it up, then, I took equal amounts of mouth wash & water, then, I added 2 cap fulls of baby oil, put all into ingredients a spray bottle, shake it up and the more it sits, the more the aroma of the rosemary is stronger so it works better each time you use it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Bug Repellent for Tomato Plants

Does anyone know the recipe for homemade bug repellant for tomatoes? I once saw a recipe with dish soap and water but i don't remember the amount to use.

Thanks in advance,

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By SG (Guest Post) 09/10/2008

How does one apply this recipe? Spray it on? How often? Do you mix the epson salts in water before adding one cup of the mixture, or just put a cup of epson salts in with the other liquids?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Recipe for Homemade Insecticide

How do you make homemade insecticide? My grandson is trying to earn a gardening badge for Boy Scouts and is having a problem with roly poly bugs eating the tomatoes. He does not want to use a commercial product, but prefers to use something less harmful to the environment.

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Question: Homemade Aphid Spray with Vinegar

I have seen posts that suggest using vinegar to get rid of aphids. Isn't vinegar harmful to growing things?

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Question: Borax and Water Insecticide

How much borax do you add to a quart squirt bottle of water to use for insecticide? Anybody know? Thanks!

By Kelly from NM

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No

Most Recent Answer

By LARRY FLUITT 12/01/2012

First question would be why use borax to begin with, though considered low toxic it is still a number of times more toxic than anything else you or an exterminator would use for insect control. It is a slow acting stomach poison, so it would take time to get the job done if you are fighting a current insect infestation. The borates can be effective by lightly dusting out of the way places of the home, but mainly as a preventative.

25th year as exterminator

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Question: Homemade Garden Insecticide

I am looking for insecticide recipes.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By doc8888webb from Independence, MO

AnswerWas this interesting? Yes No