Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice

Category Ice Machines
Ice Maker
Sometimes your refrigerator ice maker makes ice, but does not dispense it. This is a guide about ice maker not dispensing ice.

My Whirlpool side-by-side refrigerator makes ice, but it will not dispense crushed or cubed ice. It does dispense water. Is there a way I can fix it? I know calling a serviceman is going to cost too much. I can still get ice from inside the freezer.

Answer Was this helpful? 4

Why my ice maker will not dispense ice

Makes ice but won't dispense it. No noise when pushing cup against it

My Whirlpool fridge is not dispensing ice any more what can I do?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

My ice maker makes ice, the motor works, I ca n hear the rotor tying to drop ice cubes but does not dispense ice. Whats wrong?

How do you replace the auger motor in a Kenmore refrigerator model #253.54363403?

By Dave H.

I actually had to replace ours in late August. We have the fridge with the freezer in the bottom. Anyway, there were 2 screws holding it in then there is a wire plugged into the box. Once that was out, all it took was repairing/replacing the ice making unit. Getting it back in was a bit challenging. I had to lay on the floor and do it all in reverse, not an easy task for me since I have a lot of health issues..lol Best of luck repairing/replacing your unit..

Ice quit coming out.

I have a Frigidaire side by side fridge. The ice maker produces ice, but the ice just sits on top of the ice maker and rarely drops into the ice tray. When it does drop, it is a huge chunk of ice that won't fit down the dispenser and is too big to fit into a glass.

By April

Answers

Join the club! Have been having this problem for awhile myself. I have found that the shelf-tray that sits over the ice bin is often the problem. If it gets pushed all the way back to the ice maker it prevents the metal arm from full motion and stops the ice from dropping into the bin. I have to take the shelf off and pop the ice off the maker. If left too long on the maker it starts dehydrating and often clumps into one large chunk. I check about once a day or so now, out of habit.

I try not to put anything on the shelf over the bin and also try to keep it pulled out just a little so it doesn't obstruct the dispenser arm. Easier said than done. I have tried to put things on the back of the shelf to keep it out a bit but nothing has been especially successful. If you figure something out, let me know. I think this ice maker is just poorly designed since I have not had this problem with other units.

Anonymous

Had the same problem. The auger motor was not turning. I could hear the motor hum when I depressed the lever to dispense ice and the door switch. The motor seemed to be stuck. I then tapped the auger twice and tried again to activate it and it worked!!!!

My Kenmore refrigerator quit dispensing ice from the door. It still makes ice and gives water. The light works but no ice cometh. Any ideas?

By Dori B.

Is it possible a plug of ice has formed up in there somewhere? That's just a theory. I don't know how you'd test it.

Remove ice cubes from the ice caddy ; use a hair dryer to melt built up /stuck ice cubes from the chute. Use a towel on the floor to catch drippings. I don't know why the chute clogs, but mine does it too. Wish I knew how to prevent it.

We have Kenmore bottom drawer refrigerator ice dispesner that is intermittently not dispensing ice. It has a loud click when it opens or closes the ice flapper door. When it is not dispensing correctly, which is more and more often now, it opens and then immediately shuts the door and does not engage the ice maker at all. If you open and close the door enough times it will finally re-engage and operate normally and dispense ice. However the next time you try and get ice it does it all over again. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Thanks,
Greg

Answers

This sounds like you have some ice frozen in the door hinges. I would take a cloth with some hot water and try and get all the small ice shavings out of the door. Normally this happens when the door doesn't close all the way.

My refrigerator is making ice, but not dispensing any. It will dispense, but only every now and then.

By Elaine from Uniontown, AL

Answers

Anonymous

When the refrigerator ice cube maker doesn't dispense ice, it could be a calcium buildup problem in the ~ 16 ice cube chambers of the unit. Vinegar is the answer! Even though you have a water filter in the refrigerator, the filter doesnt remove calcium.

The normal operation of the ice maker is.. Once the ice cubes are made, the heater element heats the ice cubes enough to allow them to drop down into the ice storage area in the refrigerator.

Any calcium buildup in any one of the 18 chambers prevents ice from dropping in that chamber, and when the ice tray goes back to normal position it drops more water onto the ice cubes left, along with filling up the other empty ice chambers. There is now excess water filling into the ice maker chambers which will either overflow or add ice onto ice in all the chambers.

A day or two will make a chunk of the whole tray.

Even if only one ice cube fails to drop, there will be excess water put into the tray and will end up messing up the normal tray operation.

In my Kenmore, there is only one front screw and one electrical connector. The ice maker will then pull out of the two channels. It takes about one minute to remove the one screw and pull the connector apart, removing the ice maker. You can feel the calcium in the bottom of the ice cube maker. A tiny roughness tells you theres a buildup. I've done this twice and it lasts a couple of years until another calcium buildup. Put the empty ice cube maker on the counter and fill the EMPTY 18 little ice cube containers with white vinegar and let sit overnight. Rinse in the morning and put back into refrigerator.

The repair places wont tell you this little thing to do and want to charge you $120 or so for a new ice cube maker because of a little calcium in the maker.

I have purchased a refrigerator freezer. The ice maker makes plenty of ice, but it will not come down the dispenser into the glass.

My ice maker just stopped doing anything. I pulled it out and opened it up. There is no damage or burnt/broken components. Nothing appears damaged at all. The water tube seems clear. I filled the little bowl with water and it froze, but did not dispense. The light on the inside wall of the freezer gives no error messages. It is as if a fuse is blown, but I did not think these things had fuses. Is there a circuit board that might need to be replaced?

I have Kenmore side by side. Two days ago everything worked fine and then it happened. It still makes ice cold water, but when I push for ice to come out nothing happens. I don't hear the motor or the crushed ice. What do I do? I have a nearly new refrigerator with ice in the door. The icemaker makes plenty of ice and when I hold a glass to the lever, a sound is made, but the ice only dispenses once in a while. After the first couple of times, we stopped trying and we scoop the ice out of the tray. The water dispenses fine. What could be the problem?

The ice maker makes ice and puts it in the bin, but the auger will not spin to dump it out the chute in the door. The water works, but ice will not come out.

I have a nearly new refrigerator with ice in the door. The icemaker makes plenty of ice and when I hold a glass to the lever, a sound is made but the ice only dispenses once in a while.

After the first couple of times, we stopped trying and we scoop the ice out of the tray. The water dispenses fine. What could be the problem?

By Tracey D

I have Kenmore side by side. Two days ago everything worked fine and then it happened. It still makes ice cold water, but when I push for ice to come out nothing happens. I don't hear the motor or the crushed ice. What do I do?

By Jennifer

My fridige is only three weeks old. What can I do for the ice to drop down in the glass?

By Joyce from Trinidad and Tobago

My Amana refrigerator ice maker does not drop the ice when the lever is pushed to get the ice. What is wrong? It was always working till just this week.

By John from Holden, MA

I have a 2012 Kenmore French door bottom freezer refrigerator, that is making ice, but the ice will not dispense. The water works. There is no noise when the dispenser paddle is pushed. The auger is in the correct position. Maybe it needs a new motor?

By Christina

Ice is being made satisfactorily. The motor sounds to be running normally. The spindle from the motor, visible when the ice bucket is removed does not turn. Is it mechanical or electronic and what to do?

By Bill

I have a side by side refrigerator and the ice maker is making ice however it's not coming out the tray. The tray itself keeps getting frozen which doesn't allow the ice to dispense.

By kayanab

My ice maker is making a clicking noise and not making much ice. Ice appears to be in the maker, but is not dispensing. I noticed smoke tonight.

By Suze S.