Home InsuranceBudget & Finance

Keep an Inventory of What You Own

Take frequent inventory of what you own. When you get a new appliance, vehicle, or equipment, take note of the vin or serial number. Put it in a safe place at your location and at a separate location, such as in your safety deposit box or with a trusted relative. Also, have a photo inventory updated yearly or as needed.

We had tornadoes Monday night. Most of the farms on the first 1/2 mile of our road are destroyed. 11 homes in the county are completely gone and numerous barns, with several million in damage. Now we are in the midst of replacing things and with the serial numbers and vin, we can easily trace the makes, models, and such for the insurance adjusters.

This is of one of our buildings. I can't feed my cows by tractor now, but I was prepared for a few days of weather so bad the tractor could not get out, that I had 50 small bales of hay to throw. I have used about 1/2 of those now. Hopefully the company will be here tomorrow to lift the barn off the tractor so I can feed big bales again.

We had a list, and photos from last fall, that showed what we had and where it was. It was very simple to go through the list and see what was missing and damaged (or in a tree...). I had stuff I could print off and hand to the adjuster.

Excellent advice. I keep my very good jewelry in a safe deposit box, and only take it out when I am going to use it. I put it back as soon as possible. I also have important papers in the box. For $43 a year, it is worth it to me. I take photos of any other valuables in my home, and save all receipts. It is worth it to me to take replacement value insurance for the items in my home. Otherwise the insurance company will only give you the depreciated value of your items, and that could be very little.