Labeling Electronic Cords

We all have numerous cords for our many electronic devices. Labeling them helps keep things organized. This is a guide about labeling electronic cords.

This isn't exactly a money-saving tip - it's more of an "annoyance minimizing" tip. It seems like every time I grab a plug to plug something in, I am holding the plug upside down. To make it quicker, I put a dot of red nail polish on the top of every plug so I can tell instantly if I have it the right way up.

By lindal from Vista, CA

All electrical receptacles are installed with the larger slot on the left. So, simply look at the plug and plug it in with the larger prong on the left. If you have a plug receptacle that is opposite it is incorrect and should not have passed inspection.

We have numerous cell phones and small devices that all use the same charging cords. I can never find any of my charging cords. I end up buying new ones or it always seems like the kids miraculously have one when mine goes missing. So recently I took the time to hunt down and locate every single cord. Then I took my handy label maker and made labels identifying what each cord went to or whose it was. Each car now has a labeled cord, my iPad has one, and so does my iPhone for in my room. Now when someone has swiped it I will know. :)

I started doing this also. I had so many cords that I didn't know what went to what for charging. So now when I get a new cord the first thing I do is get the labeler out, and label the cords immediately. Otherwise they get in the mix and I still don't know which charger cord goes to what.

Add a dash of White Out to a black electric plug or a black marker to a white plug, and you will always know the correct side to stick it into the wall outlet.

By Tarlo from Trinity, FL

And it is Murphy's laws that you get the wrong one first isn't it? I think that is an excellent idea.

I found an inexpensive way to mark the multitude of wires behind my computer. I had read about using colored tape at each end of the cords, to trace which plug belongs to which accessory (printer, modem, etc) but I didn't want to go out and buy several different colors of tape.

Have lots of cords for your electronic devices, computer equipment, etc. and constantly forgetting which cord goes to what? I was until I came up with this simple solution. I take the stick on labels that they sell to label your files with.

Behind my entertainment center you will find a variety of cords running to power bars. Pulling the wrong one when changing something can start a chain reaction of having to reset everything.

All of my AC adapters are black and all belong to different items. I purchased a white permanent marker and wrote on each one (i.e. cell phone).

I take single labels and fold them in half over the cord close to the end that goes into my device and label it.

We all have those "rechargeable" appliances. Sometimes the cords all look the same. I could not match up cords to appliances when we relocated. Not only was it frustrating to match, but also time consuming and expensive to replace.

When moving electronics, I find it helpful to mark my cords so that when I am ready to set them back up, the cords are not a tangled puzzle. I mark each cord with a different colored dot of nail polish.