Lemon Zest Tips And Tricks

Lemon zest is a great way to naturally add more lemon flavor to your recipes. There are many tools and techniques for getting all the yellow zest without the bitter white pith beneath. This is a guide for lemon zest tips and tricks.

June 5, 2012 Flag

My good friend visited a few days and showed me how she freezes lemon or orange zest and juice fron one fruit. She uses a zester or fine grater on waxed paper, then folds it over several times and lays it flat. She then puts them in a quart freezer bag. When she needs zest, she always has the right amount.

She freezes lemon or orange juice in the amounts called for in most recipes (ie: "juice of one lemon", 1 or 2 Tbsp., etc.) It takes less time to thaw out. We did some up with the lemons she brought from her yard. Now I have plenty to make the lemon cake recipe she gave me.

I also save the plastic cereal box liners in the freezer door to use for coating pork chops/chicken, coating Sandy Cookies with powdered sugar etc. They are out of the way and I always have "free" bags to use.

Source: My friend Mary

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a wonderfully simple yet smart idea! And I adore all of the many whimsical touches in and around your house, Vi, and you know that I simply must keep an eye out for an Eskimo to live in my freezer now too! :-)

December 3, 2012 Flag

Whenever I eat an orange or use a lemon, I always use my microplane (you can use any grater) to grate the zest. I then put it in a small plastic container and freeze it. I always have zest for any recipe. It saves time and money, as I don't have to buy fruit just to have the zest.

Directions:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 13, 2012 Flag

I always hated the process of zesting a lemon. I have had several zesters and either the lemon or the zester kept sliding out of my hands. I dislike those big square graters because they rust. I was looking around a cook shop one day and saw zesters on the wall that were stainless steel and about the size of a ruler. How nice it is to have enough zester to hang on to with still enough of the grating part to easily zest the lemon. I recommend one of these to anyone who loves to cook but hates to zest.

By Lilac from Springfield, MA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2014 Flag

Where can I buy an orange zester?

By Joan B.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You should be able to buy an orange zester at just about any supermarket or department store. If you are looking for a specific brand, such as Microplane, you should look at a specialty store that carries nice kitchen utensils. Sur La Table, Williams-Sonoma or even Bed, Bath and Beyond would be good places to look.

Food and Recipes Food Tips FruitJuly 11, 2011
Lemon Squares on a plate with lemon slices.
Lemon Squares Recipes
orange zest
Orange Biscuit Recipes
Storing Citrus Zest
Storing Citrus Zest
Rasp Grater
Storing a Rasp Grater
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 14, 2017 at 10:47:22 PM on 10.0.0.78 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.