Freezing Zest in Wax Paper

My good friend visited a few days and showed me how she freezes lemon or orange zest and juice from one fruit. She uses a zester or fine grater on waxed paper, then folds it over several times and lays it flat. She then puts them in a quart freezer bag. When she needs zest, she always has the right amount.

She freezes lemon or orange juice in the amounts called for in most recipes (ie: "juice of one lemon", 1 or 2 Tbsp., etc.) It takes less time to thaw out. We did some up with the lemons she brought from her yard. Now I have plenty to make the lemon cake recipe she gave me.

I also save the plastic cereal box liners in the freezer door to use for coating pork chops/chicken, coating Sandy Cookies with powdered sugar etc. They are out of the way and I always have "free" bags to use.

Source: My friend Mary

By Vi Johnson from Moorpark, CA

Great ideas, and very frugal. Having some lovely zest in the freezer to use whenever I want is a great idea. Thank you!

Great tip! And that Eskimo in the pic looks cold. :-)

What a wonderfully simple yet smart idea! And I adore all of the many whimsical touches in and around your house, Vi, and you know that I simply must keep an eye out for an Eskimo to live in my freezer now too!

:-)

Thanks friends, The COLD Eskimo is a baking soda holder from a dear friend. GG Vi

Food and Recipes Freezing Fruit and BerriesJune 5, 2012
🐛
🌻
🐰
👒
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Zest-in-Wax-Paper.html